What Does the NSA Know About SodaHeads?

brtndr 2011/04/09 20:52:44

brtndr
4/9/2011

Are you like me, and question the purpose of SodaHeads "business concept", of having a "consolidated" centralized, message boards, voting polls on a social networking site? One that includes a very large range of different topics, from questions as trivial as, "Do you do your Own Laundry?", to some of the more relevant and important questions like, "Where were you on 9/11?" Is it just about making money by carving out your own niche in the social networking market, or could there be a darker and more threatening purpose?

Maybe, the following article below might help answer my SodaHead question for the day?

The Allegation

In early August of 2009, "A lawsuit was filed in federal court alleging that a group of well-know websites, including those owned by Disney, Warner Bros. Records, and Demand Media, broke the law by secretly tracking web movements of their users, including children.

The suit alleges that Clearspring Technologies, a software company that creates widgets and also offers a way to serve ads via widgets, is at the center of the wrongdoing.

Website operators such as Disney, Playlist.com, and SodaHead are "Clearspring Flash Cookie Affiliates," the plaintiffs allege in their suit. Clearspring set "Flash cookies on (affiliate site) users' computers.....online tracking device(s) which would allow access to and disclosure of internet users' online information.""

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20013672-261.html?part=rss&...

The Interview

Now, strongly consider the allegations contained in that lawsuit, and compare it to the statements made by SodaHead founder Jason Feffer in a interview with socialtech.com back in 2007 when SH was first launched.

Q: What is Sodahead?

Jason Feffer: "SodaHead is social voting. It's not a new concept for people to vote,
answer questions, and take polls--people have been doing that for
awhile. However, the media of the Internet has allowed people to add
the social aspect to it."

"People vote on polls on the internet, constantly, but now we're bring the social element, and we're going to track that vote with your profile."

Q: So this is sort of like an enhanced message board--where people can ask questions and get opinions?

Jason Feffer:"Exactly, but there are millions of them out there--but they're not aggregated, they're not consolidated--They're just out there."

"They're not tracking your votes across sites, your profile, or your comments. So let's take the wonderful world of message boards which we love, and
put them under one roof. We have over 200 categories on our site, and
we don't want to be niche.

We'll allow these niches to happen under each category but you don't have to recreate your profile, your reputation, or anything like that. On top of all that, we offer the concept of a reputation--a track record and a history."

http://www.socaltech.com/interview_with_jason_feffer__founder...

Boy, Mr. Feffer sure likes to use the term "tracking" and "consolidate" a lot. Nothing suspicious about that I guess? Unless, your company is included in a federal lawsuit alleging that it broke the law by secretly tracking its users movements on the internet.Then the true objectives of SodaHead, perhaps, becomes just a little-bit more suspicious I think.

Then, if you tie-in Jason Feffer statements concerning SodaHead, and the allegations made in that California federal lawsuit, along with the recent news about the NSA's massive secret data collection operation, of U.S. citizens via their cell phones and computers. (available at the links below)
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-10-nsa_x.htm

http://www.uaff.info/group_calls_for_hearings_into_google.htm

http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t;=13294

Then suddenly, the purpose of SodaHead suddenly turns a lot more sinister in nature and in conduct.

There's Something About Mikey?

If you go to SodaHeads Wikipedia page, and read the small history portion about who was behind the founding of Sodahead? It will tell you this....

"SodaHead was founded by Jason Feffer, former vice president of operations at MySpace, and his childhood friend Michael Glazer."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SodaHead.com

OK, I think we can all, pretty much agree, that we know who Jason Feffer is, and what he's all about. But who's this Michael Glazer person? Well, the odd thing is, for a guy that co-founded a social networking internet site, that is accused of secretly tracking American citizens, and their children. There's not a lot of information about Mikey available for the general public, which is kind of unusual for a "supposedly" everyday "event planner" American citizen, who has produced TV shows as popular as, "Fear Factor" and Dr. Phil.

I could Google my own SH username "brtndr" right now, and get a lot more information about myself, then I could about Mikey "The Chimp" Glazer. And I haven't produced one popular American TV Show.

However, the small amount of information available about Mr. Glazer, may reveal what SodaHead is really all about. On Mr. Glazer's Wikipedia bio page it says that he "attended the prestigious boarding school Deerfield Academy, in Deerfield Massachusetts." An "Elite" prestigious private 4 year college preparatory school, whose alumni include U.S. congressman and Senators, a few members of the "elite" Rockefeller banking dynasty, a one time chairman of Goldman Sachs, a lot of people who worked in the media and a whole bunch of foreign ambassador's.

Most of the "prestigious" alumni of Deerfield Academy would later go on to attend "prestigious" elite Ivy league colleges such as Harvard, Columbia and Yale. Where they would later become Skull and Bones, Wolf's Head Society or Schroll and Key secrete society members, before being released onto the general public, to begin their careers of robbing, lying and murdering for the sake of their own personal wealth and success.

Of coarse, just because Mikey "The Chimp" Glazer went to the same elite prep-school as a lot of our former and current corporate media, war profiteering banking slave masters and politicians did, doesn't necessarily make "The Chimp" a bad guy. However, when you take into account the statements by Jason Feffer on the purpose of SodaHead, which is to track, consolidate and build a profile of you that is based on your personal questions, answers and information on your SH domain page. Then take into account that federal lawsuit alleging that SodaHead is apart of a large corporate data collection operation that is secretly tracking what sites you visit on the internet, along with the NSA.

I believe you should think twice before answering that trivial SH question about, "Do you do your own Laundry?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylFd5gEsqZg

• safari 2011/04/10 08:33:57 (edited)
    safari
    +8
    Sometimes I do my own laundry and sometimes I don't :P - But I'd like to address the tracking issue. I saw that when it came out. I have built a lot of websites and still occasionally do and consult to builders from time to time. ( Amongst other things ) So these trackers are framed into the site and arrive in some of the ads. Soda uses ads to make money. The cookies in question don't deliver info to Soda unless they made a deal with them to do so and I would highly doubt that is part of the deal. Soda is free to users and has to make money to pay for the site. I don't begrudge sites for doing things that I know when I arrive at them that they might do. The problem is most people don't know what sites do behind the scenes. There is lots of money to be made aggregating, tracking and selling info. Very simple sites that you would never suspect, like many of the word press blogs and etc also frame in ads that use these flash cookies. And there are MANY more than the ones noted in this article. You can take control of your being tracked in this area by using fire fox and installing a free add on called better privacy. ( I tried to add the link but soda won't allow https links - so just google Firefox add on better privacy) Where at the end of any browsing session you can have it ...
    Sometimes I do my own laundry and sometimes I don't :P - But I'd like to address the tracking issue. I saw that when it came out. I have built a lot of websites and still occasionally do and consult to builders from time to time. ( Amongst other things ) So these trackers are framed into the site and arrive in some of the ads. Soda uses ads to make money. The cookies in question don't deliver info to Soda unless they made a deal with them to do so and I would highly doubt that is part of the deal. Soda is free to users and has to make money to pay for the site. I don't begrudge sites for doing things that I know when I arrive at them that they might do. The problem is most people don't know what sites do behind the scenes. There is lots of money to be made aggregating, tracking and selling info. Very simple sites that you would never suspect, like many of the word press blogs and etc also frame in ads that use these flash cookies. And there are MANY more than the ones noted in this article. You can take control of your being tracked in this area by using fire fox and installing a free add on called better privacy. ( I tried to add the link but soda won't allow https links - so just google Firefox add on better privacy) Where at the end of any browsing session you can have it auto delete flash cookies or you can pick which ones to delete at any time - even immediately after viewing a page. Not all flash cookies are bad and some are helpful to the navigation of sites. I highly recommend using this freebie however. I don't like flash cookies to be saved unless I am using a site that needs to aggregate my previous time spent there for a specific reason such as I put items in a shopping cart that will save for 24 hrs - but if I delete the flash cookie I will lose the cart. Or many game sites will keep your previous progress for you until you delete the flash cookies - in which case you will start all over. These are just two examples of how flash cookies may benefit some users. The other side of the coin is where there is no benefit to anyone but those who placed the cookie. Hope this helps.

• desi-cakes 2011/04/10 01:09:58
    desi-cakes
    +3
    ok thanks for sharing
  • X_Sparky 2011/04/10 00:55:51
    X_Sparky
    +4
    I use Firefox and multiple add-ons for blocking ads and Trackers. Ghostery blocks four trackers from SodaHead.
  • The Terrific Whatzit BN-0 2011/04/10 00:46:28
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    +5
    I'm not worried about the NSA, FBI, CIA or KGB. Let them track me. I'm doing nothing wrong.
  • Sir Bud. The Ter... 2011/04/10 00:53:22
    Sir Bud.
    +7
    Unfortunetly,it's no longer what we have done but what we might do,
  • The Ter... Sir Bud. 2011/04/10 00:56:31
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    +4
    I saw some guy on here about a week ago talk about blowing away a public official. Well, thee public official. And I was thinking, you stupid, stupid guy. I suspect he had a couple secret service guys at his door within 24 hours.
  • lylamer... The Ter... 2011/04/10 00:57:31
    lylamerican
    +1
    me either
  • NoName The Ter... 2011/04/10 01:06:59
    NoName
    ... No thanks, find something I'm doing wrong first THEN track me.
  • The Ter... NoName 2011/04/10 01:29:35
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    +1
    Only paranoid people have anything to fear from the government. In my experience the ones who yell the loudest about being tracked are the ones that need to be tracked.
  • Melizmatic The Ter... 2011/04/10 01:34:46
  • Mr.Hood... The Ter... 2011/04/10 02:11:14
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +1
    Thats the PERFECT slave attitude. So since your doing nothing wrong you wouldn't mind your neighbor snooping around in your mail, recording your phone calls, and tracking what you do on your computer? If you don't mind the government doing it why not right?
  • Colbert 2011/04/10 00:44:36
    Colbert
    +6
    It was nice meeting you.
  • Sir Bud. Colbert 2011/04/10 00:51:44
  • holdenferall 2011/04/10 00:42:17
  • Darklig... holdenf... 2011/04/10 05:25:51
  • Sir Bud. 2011/04/10 00:28:12
  • texasred 2011/04/10 00:16:56
    texasred
    +4
    If you are involved in politics at all. If you are a member of the Tea Party. If you do any online voting on any news website..... the NSA has that information. There's no doubt in my mind that, as a Conservative, a member of the NRA and a Tea Party Patriot, I'm being tracked by the NSA, DHS, DNC, WH, et al. While I don't like the idea of Big Brother, he's here and he's not going away. Am I going to let that shut me up. Not just no, but hell no. I'm an American Patriot and I believe in free speech, the right to bear arms and all the things this nation stands for. So if the NSA is gathering information from SH regarding my thoughts and feelings.... have at it. They're going to get what they want one way or another. At least I speak my piece here and if they don't like it.... come and get me. There are enough Oath Keepers in my area that I'm not worried at all.
  • Sir Bud. texasred 2011/04/10 00:56:46
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    If you think the NSA isn't packed full of Conservatives,you won't have to worry anyway.
  • texasred Sir Bud. 2011/04/10 00:59:54
    texasred
    +3
    I don't care. Like Popeye said... "I yam what I yam."
  • Sir Bud. texasred 2011/04/10 01:07:11
    Sir Bud.
    Unfortunetly,it's no longer what we have done but what we might do.
  • lylamer... texasred 2011/04/10 00:58:56
    lylamerican
    +1
    Your Ip is also tracked if you have been to the Federal registry because there you het Federal info..
  • texasred lylamer... 2011/04/10 01:04:38
    texasred
    +2
    I know. At this point in my life... and the life of this nation... I don't give a damn. Track me all they want. This is my country. I love this country. And I'm not backing down or shutting up.
  • Sir Bud. texasred 2011/04/10 11:52:10 (edited)
    Sir Bud.
    GENERALLY speaking.Timothy Mcveigh didnt give a damn,loved his country and didnt back down or shut up and it's because of idiots like him at home AND abroad,
    we are all now potencial terrorists in the eyes of the law. 9/11 was then used as an excuse to get past traditional values of civil liberty and rights of an individuals privacy and protection is now the slave of prevention.That means our lives are monitored and assessed in an attempt to determine whether we are a danger and threat to society or not.Black lists are made and software programmes exist which calculate and categorise óur personalities according to our opinions and activities.Those computer programs make the decisions,have the decisive"last word"and slot us onto a color code scale of potencial danger or not.Declaring Patriotism or not is not a criteria which gives us positive and plus points therefore.
  • texasred Sir Bud. 2011/04/10 22:04:22
    texasred
    +1
    They're going to do what they're going to do anyway. I'm aware that in their eyes a patriot is a potential domestic terrorist. But there are one hell of a lot of us.
  • Sir Bud. texasred 2011/04/10 23:02:52
    Sir Bud.
    "A patriot is a potential domestic terrorist".No,the PC program they use is slightly more sophisticated and as I suggested,assesses the psychological personality traits and the condition of the selected mind vafter feeding the program with the basics.As governments come and go,the NSA and others,cannot afford to be partial.
  • texasred Sir Bud. 2011/04/11 03:35:38
    texasred
    Like I said. Come and get me.
  • Sir Bud. texasred 2011/04/11 03:37:40
    Sir Bud.
    What ever rocks your boat.
  • Darklig... texasred 2011/04/10 05:18:35
    Darklight - Genesis 1: 17-18
    +1
    right on texasred,
    texasred NSA BIg BROTHER
  • Sir Bud. 2011/04/09 23:42:09
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    "The Allegation"report was from 2009.Makes you wonder.

" Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the date of a report issued by UC Berkeley researchers. The correct date was Aug. 10, 2009.".
  • brtndr Sir Bud. 2011/04/09 23:54:29
    brtndr
    +1
    OK, that's certainly good to know. Do you have a link so I can verify that date?
  • Sir Bud. brtndr 2011/04/10 00:03:09
  • brtndr Sir Bud. 2011/04/10 00:13:34
    brtndr
    +1
    Thank You, I re-edited the post and added the news link that you provided. It's a much better presentation of the report. Thank you.
  • Kiki 2011/04/09 22:24:54
    Kiki
    +3
    No one knows what the NSA knows about SodaHead because NSA actually stands for Never Say Anything. Trust me, NO ONE other than NSA know what the NSA is doing/thinking.
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2011/04/09 22:03:12
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +7
    Well, having just googled myself I'm now thoroughly paranoid.
  • Lennon abycinn... 2011/04/09 22:23:27
    Lennon
    +3
    Same here.
  • jajanet abycinn... 2011/04/09 22:50:43 (edited)
    jajanet
    +2
    CAT YIKES

I know those of us who do not fall in the box are just screwed.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wTK... fall box screwed http3 bp blogspot comwtk yikes cat
  • HOWARD ROARK 2011/04/09 21:53:23
    HOWARD ROARK
    +4
    After answering questions on SodaHead the site can track all other sites you visit?

Can they also determine your real identity?

This sounds bad if true, very bad.

Is there anyway to participate on SodaHead and protect ones identity?
  • jajanet HOWARD ... 2011/04/09 22:59:48
    jajanet
    +1
    use a canned avatar, fake emaill address AND ONLY LOG ON with SOMEBODIES ELSES COMPUTER AT A NONE STARBUCKS NONE BARNS AND NOBLE WIFI

REALLY IF WE LIVE IN THIS KIND OF NATION DO YOU THINK WE MIGHT NEED TO >>>>>> EXERCUSE OUR elses starbucks barns noble wifi live nation gtgtgtgtgtgt exercuse CONSTITUTIONAL BILL OF RIGHTS
  • HOWARD ... jajanet 2011/04/09 23:01:06
    HOWARD ROARK
    +1
    I am afraid that document has lost favor
  • jajanet HOWARD ... 2011/04/10 01:27:58
    jajanet
    NOT WITH ME and if YOU are afraid to ENVOKE ITS TENTENTS then you are going to be victimized. IT IS THE LAW OF THE LAND.

Know the difference between the 'RULE OF LAW' AND 'THE LAW OF THE LAND'.
  • uncle r... jajanet 2011/04/10 01:13:14
    uncle remus
    +1
    lol...the nsa does what it wants and answers to no one

2014/07/28 22:46:00