What does the ninth commandment mean to you

dwhitney 2009/04/18 04:11:59
NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

I'm going to be asking a series of questions and I want the general consensus on these questions. Some will be quotes from the bible/commandments, others will be general ideas. Its all for a paper I'm writing.

Also, I'm not looking for one liner answers. Give me the reason behind what you think this commandment means.

• Ascetic Of Words 2009/04/18 17:00:49
    No, it means this...
    Ascetic Of Words
    +2
    Bearing false witness is saying anything you do not know. It doesn't just mean lying, much less only to the government. It means saying anything you do not actually know for certain. Spreading a rumor you heard counts as false witness.

• Philo-Publius 2009/05/09 19:28:48
    It means this...
    Philo-Publius
    I think it refers to ANY yeast product or agent. So when you do your animal sacrifice, be sure to leave it out altogether, don't even bring it with you, lest you be tempted to sprinkle some in:

Exodus 34

1And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

2And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount.

3And no man shall come up with thee, neither let any man be seen throughout all the mount; neither let the flocks nor herds feed before that mount.

4And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

5And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.

6And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,

7Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon ...'

'

'

"""

Exodus 34

7Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

8And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped.

9And he said, If now I have found grace in thy sight, O LORD, let my LORD, I pray thee, go among us; for it is a stiffnecked people; and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for thine inheritance.

10And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among which thou art shall see the work of the LORD: for it is a terrible thing that I will do with thee.

11Observe thou that which I command thee this day: behold, I drive out before thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite.

12Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:

13But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

14For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

15Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;

16And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.

17Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

18The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib thou camest out from Egypt.

19All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male.

20But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

21Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.

22And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

23Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the LORD God, the God of Israel.

24For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.

25Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

26The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

27And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

28And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

The REAL question is, "How did these commandments get switched, when this set CLEARLY and UNAMBIGUOUSLY calls itself "The Ten Commandments"? wrote tables covenant commandments real commandments switched unambiguously calls commandments
  • Whitese7en 2009/04/21 18:20:32
    No, it means this...
    Whitese7en
    Not only false oaths, to deprive a man of his life or of his rights, are here prohibited, but all whispering, tale-bearing, slander, and calumny; in a word, whatever is deposed as a truth, which is false in fact, and tends to injure another in his goods, person, or character, is against the spirit and letter of this law. Suppressing the truth when known, by which a person may be defrauded of his property or his good name, or lie under injuries or disabilities which a discovery of the truth would have prevented, is also a crime against this law. He who bears a false testimony against or belies even the devil himself, comes under the curse of this law, because his testimony is false. By the term neighbor any human being is intended, whether he rank among our enemies or friends.
  • driley 2009/04/19 01:17:36
    driley
    +1
    Glad you asked that. I always interpreted it to mean giving false testimony about someone in court. Helping someone get convicted of something for which they are innocent. Now I have to do some research and see if I'm right. If I find another answer, I will let you know what the "experts" say.
  • dwhitney driley 2009/04/19 01:35:20
    dwhitney
    +1
    Please do!
  • driley dwhitney 2009/04/19 02:36:48
    driley
    +1
    My commentaries say the language of this verse, (Exodus 20;16) primarily reflects legal processes. You'll be happy to know, Moses gives a little more detail on the subject in the first 7 verses of chapter 23. In case you don't have a Bible handy, I'll copy them for you:

1 "Do not spread false reports. Do not help a wicked man by being a malicious witness."
    2 "Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong. When you give testimony in a lawsuit, do not pervert justice by siding with the croud,"
    3 "And do not show favoritism to a poor man in his lawsuit."
    4 "If you come across your enemy's ox or donkey, wandering off, be sure to take it back to him."
    5 "If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help him with it.
    6 "Do not deny justice to your poor people in their lawsuits."
    7 "Have nothing to do with a false charge and do not put an innocent or honest person to death, for I will not acquit the guilty."

This is not to take anything from the other comments, of course. Truth is part of God's nature, so all the other aspects of telling the truth would, of course, be part of the 9th commandment too.
    Hope this helps. :-)
  • dwhitney driley 2009/04/19 02:49:35
    dwhitney
    +1
    Thank you very much!
  • driley dwhitney 2009/04/19 02:54:53
    driley
    You are welcome!
  • Shadow 2009/04/18 23:15:09
    It means this...
    Shadow
    +1
    "Bearing false witness" is antiquated language for lying, cheating, gossiping. These actions damage people's lives as much as violence. Sometimes worse. Calling it a sin belittles it. It is a supreme injustice that requires restitution, not only God's forgiveness. People have lost their lives over a lie.

There's a story that teaches of the seriousness of this sin. To tell an untruth or gossip over another is a monumental wrong, difficult if not impossible to make right. To tell a lie is to open a pillowcase of feathers to the four winds. A day later, go find every feather and reassemble the pillowcase. You can't do it. And the feathers continue to travel forever, doing harm.

Better to never speak the lies, than to later expect God to remove your guilt.
  • dwhitney Shadow 2009/04/19 01:35:05
    dwhitney
    Thanks. Good analogy.
  • Ascetic Of Words 2009/04/18 17:00:49
    No, it means this...
    Ascetic Of Words
    +2
  • dwhitney Ascetic... 2009/04/18 19:11:52
    dwhitney
    Thanks!
  • ENR 2009/04/18 16:12:10
    It means this...
    ENR
    +1
    Not to spread rumors or to ruin a person's reputation because you don't like them (or are jealous). Have you're opinion, but keep it within your house, don't make another person's life miserable on purpose. It can have a domino effect on their future, and that's not good for the person and people involved.
  • dwhitney ENR 2009/04/18 19:12:02
    dwhitney
    Thank you.
  • kellyelvis 2009/04/18 15:22:54
    It means this...
    kellyelvis
    +2
    titus 1:2 says" upon the basis of a hope of the everlasting life which God, who cannot lie, promised before times long lasting" God cannot lie and will not tollerate lying. In all forms. Love of neighbor.
    WHO really is my neighbor?" a first-century lawyer asked Jesus. No doubt he expected Jesus to say, 'Your fellow Jews.' But in a story about a neighborly Samaritan, Jesus showed that people of other nationalities also are our neighbors.—Luke 10:29-37; John 4:7-9.
    Love of God and neighbor tie in. If you love God and Neighbor you would not, Lie, steal, cheat, create false gossip againts your neighbor. Christ died for his neighbor instead of fighting him.It shouldn't matter what Race, tongue, music taste or personality is. God accepts all ppl and so should we. the isrealites were also to be cinsiderate to non jews.
    A false tongue is deeper than just being dishonest its like spreding viscious slander about another person even if its not true..this is what satan did to God. proverbs 27:11 says "Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to him that is taunting me"
    God wants his people to be united. U cant be united if ur spreding falst gossip. .
  • dwhitney kellyelvis 2009/04/18 19:45:36
    dwhitney
    Thanks.
  • Casey 2009/04/18 04:51:10
    It means this...
    Casey
    +1
    To be truthful or honest.
  • Carpe Diem *In God I Trust* 2009/04/18 04:22:23
    It means this...
    Carpe Diem *In God I Trust*
    +1
    I believe that it means not to lie to authorities about your neighbors. I take this from a modern viewpoint so I am unsure about what God intended by this commandment.. By bringing false witness against a neighbor I think about a court of law and lieing on the stand.
  • dwhitney Carpe D... 2009/04/18 05:42:45
    dwhitney
    +1
    Thanks! Interesting answer!
  • *Naysha* 2009/04/18 04:18:36
    It means this...
    *Naysha*
    chicken nuggets!!
  • that0neguy 2009/04/18 04:14:02
    It means this...
    that0neguy
    +1
    Potato!
  • dwhitney that0neguy 2009/04/18 05:07:07 (edited)
  • that0neguy dwhitney 2009/04/18 05:27:01
    that0neguy
    +1
    Coffee!
  • dwhitney that0neguy 2009/04/18 05:32:19
    dwhitney
    +2

Dude! Its almost time to go home!
  • that0neguy dwhitney 2009/04/18 05:33:27
    that0neguy
    +1
    I knoooooooowwwwwwww..... I've been busy as shit tonight too.
  • dwhitney that0neguy 2009/04/18 05:41:38
    dwhitney
    +1
    That sucks balls.
  • that0neguy dwhitney 2009/04/18 05:57:45
    that0neguy
    +1
    Eh, it makes the day go by faster.
  • dwhitney that0neguy 2009/04/18 06:02:40
    dwhitney
    +1
    I suppose so. I need more to do there. As it kind of stands now I'm not being challenged enough there now.
  • that0neguy dwhitney 2009/04/18 06:03:54
    that0neguy
    +1
    I know how you feel. There isn't a lot of room for growing.
  • dwhitney that0neguy 2009/04/18 06:09:14
    dwhitney
    +1
    That's why sometimes I have nothing to do. Most of the day-to-day shit is now down to a science. Printer broken, do this, this and this. 5 minutes tops.

I've been working on trying to learn more about the CSC, usually I head out there when there is a problem, with or without B/B asking me.
  • that0neguy dwhitney 2009/04/18 06:11:51
    that0neguy
    +1
    Yeah, unfortunately for me since I've got here I'm mostly left to sink or swim. Most of the stuff I know is due to experiencing it first hand, and having no one to help me.
  • dwhitney that0neguy 2009/04/18 06:21:47
    dwhitney
    +1
    Yeah, learning proprietary software can be a pain in the ass. That's why I've been trying to take those calls more and not asking for help until I just cant figure it out. Its got to be harder for you on the night since there is no one else. That has to make it a tad more difficult, but you seem to do okay!
  • that0neguy dwhitney 2009/04/19 08:08:34
    that0neguy
    +1
    Sink or swim. I'm a doggy paddling mother fucker.

2014/10/22 05:06:03