What does it mean to be a Republican and Democrat?

Sour Dime 2011/11/14 19:01:12
What do Republicans usually think? What do Democrats usually think? I'm trying to gain an understanding of government and politics, but I'm sick of big words, I can't gain an understanding of something if I'm constantly searching words in the dictionary or google.

• Rawan Tarik 2013/02/23 12:01:29
    Rawan Tarik
    +1
    Why using big words if there isn't that big of a difference?
    Anyways humans are unpredictable, they do whatever is good for them and do not care for others. That is how we are! No matter what you are, a republican or a democrat, you will eventually do what is best for yourself without knowing it.
  • Hana 2012/11/28 17:02:45
    Hana
    +7
    Can some one help me What does Democrat mean?
  • mrdog 2011/11/15 07:36:21
    mrdog
    +2
    One of the same... frankly i don't trust either party.... which is sad for me...but reality..bark
  • ETWolverine 2011/11/14 22:22:15 (edited)
    ETWolverine
    +1
    The basic difference between Republicans and Democrats (or more properly Conservatives and Liberals) is this:

Republicans/Conservatives believe that everyone should have equal opportunities for success in our society. As long as everyone has the same CHANCE to succeed, the outcome of whether or not they succeeed is up to the individual and not the government. As long as everyone has the same opportunities, the government has no business getting involved.

Democrats/Liberals believe that everyone should have equal outcomes (the same income, the same assets, the same everything) in our society. It doesn't matter if some people work harder or accomplish more, everyone should get the same thing in the end, and it is the government's job to make sure that this equality of outcomes happens by "fixing" the inequalities.

Most of the political differences between Republicans and Democrats stem from this difference in philosophy.

Naturally, this is a very simplified statement of the differences between the two parties, but it should suffice to start the conversation.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any follow-up questions you wish.
  • Sour Dime ETWolve... 2011/11/15 00:03:21
    Sour Dime
    By that philosophy I'm a republican but my thoughts on other things like being pro choice and pro same sex marriage make me a liberal.
  • ETWolve... Sour Dime 2011/11/15 03:57:13
    ETWolverine
    +1
    The issue of pro-life vs. pro-choice rests on whether you believe it is the federal government's job to protect the rights of women to choose or whether the government should remain out of the picture.

The issue of same sex marriage is similar... do you believe that it is the federal government's job to maintain "fairness" by legalizing same-sex marriage or do you believe that the government should stay out of the picture.

In essence, do you believe that it is the federal government's job to make things fair for people who are gay? Do you believe it is the government's job to make things fair for women? Or do you believe that PEOPLE MAKE THINGS FAIR FOR THEMSELVES and government should not be involved.

That is the essential difference between liberal thought and conservative thought.

Conservatives don't want to ban gay marriage or abortion per se. They just want the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to stay out of the issue and leave it to the state governments as mandated by the 10th Amendment of the Constitution. Oh, sure, some do want to ban it (those are called "social conservatives"), but that is not really the essential point of conservatism. True conservatives, what are referred to as "constitutional conservatives", simply want the federal government to keep their noses out of it an...

Conservatives don't want to ban gay marriage or abortion per se. They just want the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to stay out of the issue and leave it to the state governments as mandated by the 10th Amendment of the Constitution. Oh, sure, some do want to ban it (those are called "social conservatives"), but that is not really the essential point of conservatism. True conservatives, what are referred to as "constitutional conservatives", simply want the federal government to keep their noses out of it and leave the issue to the states to decide for themselves.

Just to make my position on gay marriage clear: I am a constitutional conservative. My brother is gay. I happen to believe that gay marriage is an issue that should be determined by the states and not by the federal government.
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2011/11/14 22:06:14
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    It means to be the pimps and letting the American people know they are the hoes. Our tax money, they can do whatever they want with it among other things.
  • Sour Dime Latti I... 2011/11/15 00:04:02
    Sour Dime
    +1
    thats government as a whole not two distinguished parties.
  • Brianna Lee 2011/11/14 20:38:57
    Brianna Lee
    +1
    I see how the democrats hold down the poor with empty promises. I am first an American, then a conservative. I believe people have enough intelligence to use their talents to make a good life if we just get the government out of the way. Democrats think you are too stupid to think on your own. Republicans think you can succeed in life.
  • Sour Dime Brianna... 2011/11/14 20:50:46
    Sour Dime
    Hm you make a good argument, other then that what other differences are there?
  • Brianna... Sour Dime 2011/11/14 21:15:17
    Brianna Lee
    +1
    Most Republicans are not rich. We just believe in dignity and working for what we want. For the most part we are happy to give a hand up to anyone. Neither party is perfect. There is a lot to change on both sides. The two main things I disagree with on the left are abortion, due to personal experience and big government. If we have We all need to work for the good of America and stop all the waste. Smaller government allows greater over site.
  • Sour Dime Brianna... 2011/11/14 21:50:30
    Sour Dime
    How do most republicans feel about same sex marriage?
  • Brianna... Sour Dime 2011/11/14 22:03:24
    Brianna Lee
    +2
    I don't know for sure. Many say marriage is between a man and a woman. Not all republicans think alike. I have a weird sense of humor and joke why shouldn't ays be as miserable as the rest of us.

I do not pretend to have all the answers. Just my opinions and life experience.
  • Will Advocate of PHAET 2011/11/14 19:38:31
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +2
    It's a pretty gray area. The far left and the far right are pretty easy to tell apart, but there are a lot of people somewhere near the middle that could be either party. I would say to listen to what they have to say and then decide. But then check what they said against what they do.
  • Sour Dime Will Ad... 2011/11/14 20:22:57
    Sour Dime
    The problem I have with that is they usually talk about things a person signs for and I have no idea what that means legislation package is floating in my mind not really sure what that is.
  • Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2011/11/14 19:27:17
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +1
    for a voter it means you have bought into party religion.
  • Beccy 2011/11/14 19:06:30
    +2
    Republicans are for big business and the democrats are sappose to be for the working man and the poor but they are also for big business. Both have little issues that they bring up and the truth is they do nothing about the little issues. It's just one big party that talks about issues to divide us.
  • Sour Dime Beccy 2011/11/14 19:14:33
    Sour Dime
    Seems like if they did do big issues democrat would be favored, so why are all the 2012 presidential candidates republican?
  • The San... Sour Dime 2011/11/14 19:18:29
    The Sane One
    +1
    Because the sitting President is a Democrat and has another term to be elected. Unless he REALLY screws up, he's virtually guaranteed to be the Democratic nominee.
  • Sour Dime The San... 2011/11/14 19:20:43
    Sour Dime
    That doesn't make any sense, he hasn't done a whole lot why wouldn't another democrat join the race and try to make improvement?
  • The San... Sour Dime 2011/11/14 19:31:32
    The Sane One
    Because the incumbent has an overwhelming advantage over someone trying to challenge him. He'll automatically get the majority of the support of the DNC, both financial and in terms of putting campaign workers out on the streets for him.

It would take a HUGE amount of individual contributions to try to overcome that-- and with things going the way they are, no Democrats want to take the possibility of splitting the vote and giving the election to the Republicans by default.
  • Sour Dime The San... 2011/11/14 20:25:41
    Sour Dime
    I so pose that makes sense better to have someone crappy on their side in office then someone on the opposite side.
  • Beccy Sour Dime 2011/11/20 01:45:13
    +1
    Obama is a democrat and unfortunately there are no democrats with the stones to run against him.
  • Sour Dime Beccy 2011/11/20 02:05:40
    Sour Dime
    +1
    I wish there was
  • Beccy Sour Dime 2011/11/20 02:06:56
    +1
    me too
  • The Sane One 2011/11/14 19:04:35
    The Sane One
    +1
    Both favor the growth of government. Republicans prefer the government to provide welfare to the corporations, while the Democrats want the government to provide welfare to the citizens.
  • Toby The San... 2011/11/14 20:06:05
    Toby
    He said no big words :P
  • Sour Dime Toby 2011/11/14 20:26:00
    Sour Dime
    she-

2014/04/19 01:59:48