What do you want the government to do for you?

Rusty Shackleford 2012/09/16 16:25:44
What would the role of government be on your ideal world?

I know there is no "other" option, just choose the one that best suits you and follow up with a comment.

• munda 2012/09/16 16:28:19
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    munda
    +4
    That pretty much sums it up, nothing more to add.

• LotusBecca 2012/10/01 11:55:02
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    LotusBecca
    In my ideal world there would be no government.
  • Gooky 2012/09/17 22:23:40
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    Gooky
    +1
    And quit using my Constitution as toilet paper... constitution toilet paper
  • 9th of 9 2012/09/17 22:14:00
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    9th of 9
    +1
    Protect my Sovereignty, my Borders, and my Property.
  • *K'eim*h3reg' *Peh2u *Meg' 2012/09/17 22:10:18
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    *K'eim*h3reg' *Peh2u *Meg'
    +1
    Nothing. I don't even want them to exist.
  • Eddie 2012/09/17 21:53:36
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    Eddie
    +1
    I want the government to stop pandering to foreign interests. I want the government to stop making it more profitable for US company to operate their manufacturing and financial interests overseas than right here in our own country. I want the government to reign in the rampant greed factor that insurance, pharmaceutical, medical, and banking conglomerates are wallowing in. There's nothing wrong with making a profit, or with becoming wealthy. But things like compassion for one's fellow countrymen and social responsibility should be on a par far above that of achieving massive wealth just for the sake of it.
    Names like Vanderbuilt, Carnegie and Rockefeller represented great men of massive wealth too. But for them along with that wealth came a sense of responsibility to the nation and the people that made the accumulation of that weath possible. They were men who devoted great resources to bettering the lives of the average citizen. Not by merely giving them a handout that fed them for the day, but by orchestrating and financing operations which provided opportunity and paved the way for even the poorest of Americans to see the worth and believe in themselves and in their abilities. That's why even today buildings, bridges and other architectural landmarks bear the names of thes...

Names like Vanderbuilt, Carnegie and Rockefeller represented great men of massive wealth too. But for them along with that wealth came a sense of responsibility to the nation and the people that made the accumulation of that weath possible. They were men who devoted great resources to bettering the lives of the average citizen. Not by merely giving them a handout that fed them for the day, but by orchestrating and financing operations which provided opportunity and paved the way for even the poorest of Americans to see the worth and believe in themselves and in their abilities. That's why even today buildings, bridges and other architectural landmarks bear the names of these men. Where are the great structures bearing the names of such men today? Structures built not only to serve the personal interests of those men themselves but that ultimately serve all Americans. Our bridges and roads are crumbling but the banks keep getting taller and richer. The palatial estates of America's super wealthy expand ever more but the residential woes of the less fortunate deepen. Our own railroad and industrial complex collapses while hundreds of billions are spent improving those very things overseas to more easily facillitate manufacturing funded and supported by the wealth of this very nation.
    Conservative Americans say that when welfare and even the meger healthcare offered publicly became institutionalized in this country, the people began to become lazy and dependent. And I think to a large degree that is true. But something else happened. It's like the wealthy also lost their own sense of social responsibility for the nation and people that made their own rise to success possible. It's like they said to themselves, "The government is taking care of them now, so I don't have to do anything anymore." Sure they all make charity donations. It's only good business. They can take it off their taxes and therefore raise the bottom line. But it wasn't just the course of doing business for those great men I mentioned above. It was their obligation for a nation and people who had given them so much. Their way of giving back to that which had made their own success possible. And guess what? They did'nt lose a dime by doing it. For every dollar they spent, they got ten back in one way or another. Even if the return wasn't in dollars, it was in the gratitude and respect of a grateful and thankful nation to have had such men as these.
    If the wealthy of this nation want the love of the lower classes then they should follow the example of those great men again. Don't just donate to a cause that feeds some starving children or houses a family in a shelter for a night or a week. Though those are good things too for what they are. But actively and personally become involved in doing something real and selfless for your fellow Americans. Step back from making the next million and say "I have enough for now. Now it's time to put this great skill and talent I have acheived to work for the benefit of someone besides myself. And there is nothing wrong with putting your own name on it. Because by doing so you just might inspire others to do something similar. Who knows? If enough do it then maybe we won't need things like welfare or medicaid anymore. At the very least I'm sure that those programs won't be nearly so burdened or burdensome.
  • TuringsChild 2012/09/17 05:26:12
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    TuringsChild
    +3
    GET THE HELL OUT OF MY LIFE!
    That's what they can do for me!
  • doc moto 2012/09/17 05:12:23
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    doc moto
    +3
    Get out of our lives and go run the Chinese or Russians; they need more mad people there!
  • santa6642 2012/09/16 21:29:09
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    santa6642
    +2
    And stop taxing me or anyone else to support the lazy that don't want to work
  • robert.goldsmith.14 2012/09/16 18:22:53
  • Veritas CLM *First Sedition* 2012/09/16 17:59:13
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    Veritas CLM *First Sedition*
    +2
    The federal government exists to protect citizen's Constitutional and natural rights through the creation and enforcement of limited laws, and provide a defensive military. There are several other less important functions. Constitutionally speaking, states and local governments are given more latitude, but their size and authority should never extend beyond the original intent of extremely limited government.
  • Næthan Æterna 2012/09/16 16:58:32
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    Næthan Æterna
    +3
    They have no business being in our lives! The (Federal) Government needs to get out of: Health Care, Retirement, Foreign Countries, Marriage Laws, Education System, Food industry, Gun Control, Renewable Energy Investment, Oil industry, Wildlife Conservation, War on Drugs, The Internet, Privacy Laws, Wire-tapping, TSA Airport screenings, Civil Liberties, Foreign aid, and more! The States should decide how to run these, not the Federal Government.

According to the Constitution of the United States of America, the Federal Government is responsible for three things: The Postal Service, defending our own soil/protecting our borders, and creating roads and bridges. Out of those:

The Postal Service is broke and borderline inefficient even on its good days.

They don't enforce our Border Laws and sue States like Arizona when they have to do their job for them because they're purposely doing a bad job.

The only thing they do well is creating and maintaining roads and bridges-- but for some reason this Administration would rather give Construction work to the Chinese! They take taxes every pay check for things like this, yet our bridges and roads are crumbling because States themselves are going bust.

End the Federal Reserve, end the IRS, end the EPA, end the DOE, end the HSA, end t...

End the Federal Reserve, end the IRS, end the EPA, end the DOE, end the HSA, end the TSA, end the War on Drugs, end foreign aid to Countries that hate our guts, end the endless occupation of foreign Countries that don't want us there! Reduce the size of Government to 10% of what it is now, put term limits on those who serve, stop spying on the American people, and run ther Country with Fiscal Sanity and then I'll be happy...

That, I'm afraid, is never going to happen.
  • Ozymandias 2012/09/16 16:51:57
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    Ozymandias
    +1
    It is not the function of government to protect the people; unless the people, deprived of safety, endanger the government.
    It is not the function of government to satisfy the people's economic desires; unless the people, deprived of a desirable economic state, endanger the government.

It is the role of the military not only to defend the people from foreign governments, but to defend the government from the people.

The government is the primary defense of the established order against change.
  • Turings... Ozymandias 2012/09/17 05:29:11
    TuringsChild
    +2
    The Military is bound by an oath to the CONSTITUTION, not to the Authoritarians who have usurped our government.
  • Ozymandias Turings... 2012/09/17 06:20:55
    Ozymandias
    The military is subject to the authority of a strict hierarchy leading up to the commander in chief.
  • Turings... Ozymandias 2012/09/17 11:58:50
    TuringsChild
    +2
    That's because the chain of command assumes the CIC is going to obey the Constitution. When he doesn't, his subordinates are expected to act as a failsafe. The United States operates under rule of law, not personal fiat.
  • Ozymandias Turings... 2012/09/17 16:17:59
    Ozymandias
    +1
    That's true, although the rule of law is hardly set in stone and has considerable lee-way.
  • Beccy 2012/09/16 16:36:28
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    +2
    Their only job is to protect me
  • Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/09/16 16:36:00
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +3
    Get out of my business and life.
  • Mr. T 2012/09/16 16:34:38
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    Mr. T
    +3
    If we had a real government like it was originally set up, they would be doing exactly what the majority told them to do. Now we have the minority telling the majority what to do. It had become the tail wagging the dog.
  • munda 2012/09/16 16:28:19
    Leave me alone to live my own life.
    munda
    +4

2014/04/20 23:39:44