What do you think of the "Question Evolution Campaign"?

American☆Atheist 2012/06/09 15:19:54
Silly
Great, evolution is fake and gawd iz reaL

• socokid 2012/06/09 17:32:35
    Silly
    socokid
    +4
    LOL This list is absolutely hilarious. Thank you!

Question #1 from this "glorious" list.

Q: How did life originate?
    A: Evolution does not attempt to explain how life began.

*sigh*

They display their outright ignorance as to the very definition of the thing they wish to denounce. Most of this list is one big "God of the gaps" argument mixed with utter ignorance regarding the theory of evolution. Ridiculous.

• BHGOzzy 2012/06/11 19:31:57
    Silly
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    If it keeps up we should kick off the old Question Gravity campaign again, remind them of just how stupid their arguments really are.
  • William Day 2012/06/11 18:49:28
    Silly
    William Day
    +1
    If it was actually a campaign to question EVERYTHING not just the things that the person at the head of the campaign doesn't agree with then it would be fine.
  • elijahin24 2012/06/10 17:37:34
    Silly
    elijahin24
    +2
    Actually, I think it's perfectly fine to question evolution. I just think we need to question ALL ideas, and I doubt very much that this group encourages the questioning of creationism.
  • DJPanicDC elijahin24 2012/06/10 18:10:35
    DJPanicDC
    +1
    I think question evolution would be great idea if it was about critical thinking and finding ways to fill in the gaps with new scientific discovery and thought that might lead to progress

However this ia about regressing and finding ways that superstition might fill in the gaps
    It would be like a "question Christianity " course that attempted tp fill in the gaps using Thor and Zeus
  • elijahin24 DJPanicDC 2012/06/11 03:02:36
    elijahin24
    Exactly. That's my point.
  • Leslie 2012/06/10 02:52:54
    Silly
    Leslie
    Stupid.
  • YouSirName 2012/06/09 22:24:42
    Silly
    YouSirName
    +1
    Actually not silly. The ignorance on that site is mind-boggling.
  • Radical Ed 2012/06/09 21:32:54
    Silly
    Radical Ed
    +1
    that website...argh! *head explodes*
  • Radical Ed Radical Ed 2012/06/09 21:37:17
    Radical Ed
    +1
    "In fact, over the last 100 years, almost all of biology has proceeded independent of evolution, except evolutionary biology itself. Molecular biology, biochemistry, physiology, have not taken evolution into account at all.”9 Dr Skell wrote, “It is our knowledge of how these organisms actually operate, not speculations about how they may have arisen millions of years ago, that is essential to doctors, veterinarians, farmers … .”

it's not called the unified theory of biology for no reason, people...
  • BHGOzzy Radical Ed 2012/06/11 19:33:13
    BHGOzzy
    Creationists tend to ignore inconvenient facts. Just look at Kirk Cameron or Ian Jubey.
  • Icarus 2012/06/09 20:53:39
    Silly
    Icarus
    +1
    Very very silly.
  • Kevin 2012/06/09 20:34:11
  • reaper 2012/06/09 20:21:37 (edited)
    Silly
    reaper
    +1
    this is my take on these questions. I could be off on something things but hey why not try?

1. complex chemical process.
    2. see #1
    3. the envorment around them can help in that change.
    4. natural selection has to do with features that are useful, if they are not they might not pass down to the next generation and will die out.
    5. see #1
    6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
    7. it's believed to be a bunch of single cells organisms just kind of hung together and different cells from different parts of the organic mass started to adopt to new roles in the body and they all just started working together.
    8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
    9. everything is a transition from something else. we are a transition from one species of the genus of homo, to another.
    10. the term living fossils I believe is said for the reason that there are other animals like it from the part that have in fact done a lot of changes but but still recognizable in what it is.
    11. the brian is a very strange thing and still is studied by many. as for the creation of god people in the past didn't know how to explain the world around them so that just assumed it was the work of the GODS. and over time it became to be believed it was all one god the entire time. depending where you are from.
    12. huh?
    13. I think it would be n...

1. complex chemical process.
    2. see #1
    5. see #1
    6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
    8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
    12. huh?
    13. I think it would be nice to figure out where we came from. and use it to understand disease.
    14. it's actually much easier to observe in much smaller and single cellular organisms.
    15. Evolution actually has nothing to do with religion... at all
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2012/06/09 19:40:31
    Artist~PWCM~
    Some really hard questions that evolutionists can't seem to answer, lol!
    God is Great!
  • America... Artist~... 2012/06/09 20:52:12
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/10 17:38:38
    elijahin24
    +2
    OK, so evolutionists have a hard time answering SOME questions. Creationists have only ONE answer for ALL questions: "God did it".
  • Artist~... elijahin24 2012/06/10 19:53:17
    Artist~PWCM~
    Yep!
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/11 03:03:09
    elijahin24
    +1
    That doesn't strike you as a little intellectually lazy?
  • Artist~... elijahin24 2012/06/11 11:56:15
    Artist~PWCM~
    I helped my father put in a new floor in their kitchen, meaning that all the cabinets had to come out. The last cabinet to be put back in was the stove/drawer base. It was floor to ceiling and we couldn't 'true' it up. I thought we would have to shim it, twist it, something to get it just right but my father looked at it, thought for a bit then then he grabbed a hammer and board, placed it near the base and whacked that cabinet just once...it was true. I was amazed! "It's an old carpenters trick, you just gotta believe.", he said smiling.

A few years later I was setting the corner post for a PVC/aluminum insert fence. The corner post has to be perfect...period! Or the whole line will be messed up. Well I dug the hole, anchored that post, fought, cussed, worried, sweated, cussed some more, pulled it out and did the whole the over again. I used every tool I could think of. A drop line, levels, a laser, I consulted experts (keep in mind I'd already laid an 84 foot line of posts and rails) and still I couldn't get that damn post 'true'! Then I remembered the cabinet. So I looked at the post tilting in the hole, thought about it a bit (prayer) and it came to me to place my foot here, whack the top with my board and sledge then pull it towards me somewhat east. No fancy measurement...

A few years later I was setting the corner post for a PVC/aluminum insert fence. The corner post has to be perfect...period! Or the whole line will be messed up. Well I dug the hole, anchored that post, fought, cussed, worried, sweated, cussed some more, pulled it out and did the whole the over again. I used every tool I could think of. A drop line, levels, a laser, I consulted experts (keep in mind I'd already laid an 84 foot line of posts and rails) and still I couldn't get that damn post 'true'! Then I remembered the cabinet. So I looked at the post tilting in the hole, thought about it a bit (prayer) and it came to me to place my foot here, whack the top with my board and sledge then pull it towards me somewhat east. No fancy measurements, no levels, no lasers. And It was true!

It's been true for 6 years now, and the rest of the line, about 132 feet is about the prettiest thing you ever saw. Even the manufacturer comes out with clients to show off their product put in by a non-professional.

Nothing like an old carpenters trick. Hmmm, wasn't Jesus a carpenter?
    Ya just gotta believe...
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/11 16:34:32
    elijahin24
    +1
    I'm a big St. Louis Cardinals fan. Several years ago, i went to a game, bought a beer, and talked to my friend while we waited for the game to start. It wasn't until Matt Morris winded up his first pitch of the night, that I brought the bottle to my lips. I took my first sip as he threw. The Cards won that game 1-0.
    The next time, I went, I bought a beer and took a drink right away, before the game started. A MUCH lesser team, beat us 13-4. So the next time, I tried waiting again. sure enough, we won the game, and to this day, I take my first drink, as the pitcher is throwing the first pitch. I'd be lying if I said the Cards have won every time I've waited, but they do more often than not.
    Now, do you think they usually win when I wait, BECAUSE I wait; or because they're a pretty good team and have been for a while, and that my drinking habits have not a damn thing to do with them winning?
    Also, do you take that "sometimes you just gotta believe" attitude, into the furniture store with you, and just trust that you're buying a good piece? Do you just believe when a guy sells you a used car? What about a politician? Why is it that people are so untrusting in almost every aspect of their life; but they're willing to throw caution to the wind, when it comes to their religion?
  • Artist~... elijahin24 2012/06/12 07:55:38
    Artist~PWCM~
    Sounds like you're superstitious...
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/12 13:26:57
    elijahin24
    +1
    For fun, sure. To pretend that I have something to do with my team winning or losing; but do I actually believe that it makes a damn bit if difference? Of course not.
    Also, I notice you didn't answer my question.
  • Artist~... elijahin24 2012/06/12 13:32:59
    Artist~PWCM~
    I'd say we were being very cautious when it comes to our religion. Ever hear of Pascal's wager?
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/12 13:36:32
    elijahin24
    +1
    I have.
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/12 15:02:27
    elijahin24
    +2
    I have, and I submit that belief, based upon fear of what will happen if you don't, is not faith. It's simply covering your ass. The only reason to believe in anything, is that based upon your best understanding of all of the evidence you've seen, it appears to be true.
  • Artist~... elijahin24 2012/06/12 20:11:27
    Artist~PWCM~
    Granted, it's a 50/50 deal but in my case I already know...just thought I'd mention it.
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/12 20:28:25
    elijahin24
    +1
    How do you know? What irrefutable evidence have you seen?
  • Artist~... elijahin24 2012/06/12 20:30:49
    Artist~PWCM~
    Met an angel once...pretty convincing.
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/12 20:35:57
    elijahin24
    +2
    It wasn't Pujols, was it? Cuz screw that money-grubbing douchebag!
  • Artist~... elijahin24 2012/06/12 23:29:45
    Artist~PWCM~
    LOL!
    Good one!
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/13 03:58:37
    elijahin24
    +1
    So seriously, you've met an angel? How did you know he was an angel? If this happened, I need details.
  • Artist~... elijahin24 2012/06/13 04:24:56
    Artist~PWCM~
    A guy comes to my door around 10:00 in the morning, snow on the ground and on my front porch. He's wearing a tan Levi jacket and pants, pretty light for a cold day. I thought it was someone wanting to borrow my phone as we had a lot of accidents outside our intersection. But instead he says he hadn't eaten for three days and asked for some food. This had never happened before so it caught me a bit off-guard. My first response was "no, sorry." But as I was shutting the door I remembered that my wife and I had bought groceries just the day before so I had a full larder. I could at least given him a sandwich.

So before the door was completely shut I opened it again to say "Yeah, come on in." Now the man couldn't even have turned around or even started to before I reopened the door but he was gone. Not just walking away but really and truly gone. And this will sound like a bad movie cliche' but there were only his two footprints on the porch where he was standing. No steps leading up to it, none walking away. I ran out and looked up one side of the house to the other to see if somehow he'd jumped 20 feet away and was running down the street. Nothing, not a darn thing. He had simply and as plainly as I can explain it disappeared into thin air.

This happened about 20 years ago and the memory and my shame of the event is as clear as the day it happened. I knew then I was being tested and I failed.
  • elijahin24 Artist~... 2012/06/13 12:00:14
    elijahin24
    +2
    Well, that's something I'd have to see for myself. My inclination now is to either assume that you missed something when you were looking for him, or that you imagined or dreamed the whole thing.
  • Artist~... elijahin24 2012/06/13 12:44:41
    Artist~PWCM~
    Yeah, I get that all the time, lol! Yep, you'd have to witness it for yourself.
  • DJPanicDC Artist~... 2012/06/10 18:11:59
    DJPanicDC
    +1
    OK so instead of working to find the answers you want to resort to fairy tales?
  • Artist~... DJPanicDC 2012/06/10 19:54:01
    Artist~PWCM~
    The 'theory' of evolution is as much a fairy tale as any other excuse.
  • DJPanicDC Artist~... 2012/06/10 21:56:58
    DJPanicDC
    +2
    I love the way "theory" is bantered about by Christians
    A theory is “a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.

Creationism is not well substantiated, there is no body of facts and there has been no experiments that repeatedly confirm it No Arc recreation, no repeated virgin births no month living in a fish n
    You have a book of story's
  • Artist~... DJPanicDC 2012/06/11 12:12:26 (edited)
    Artist~PWCM~
    Hey, I'm not the one naming evolution a 'theory'. And my understanding of 'theory' as explained to me by others posting silly questions like this (many times before) is that in scientific legalese it's a postulation of an idea that is constantly being updated and yes, aspects being proven.

Funny thing that, it's an idea that is not even today fully proven because it has to be constantly updated and not all the aspects are proven. Ie: the whimsical 'missing link'. Yet some, certainly not all scientists accept and demand that this 'theory' be the one ruling model for the world to base entire ecosystems on. Even Darwin admitted that his paradigm didn't work in such a small selection set as the Galapagos islands for a world view of evolution.

You guys work so hard to back a theory with evidence that is incomplete yet won't take the time to review concepts like Intelligent design or try to prove God exists. Even big Blue when asked if God existed answered "Yes", and this is from a machine that you use every day to prove your theories! Your 'faith' in a theory is not as strong as mine in God.
  • DJPanicDC Artist~... 2012/06/11 15:49:32
    DJPanicDC
    "y understanding of 'theory' as explained to me"

What I posted was a cut and paste from the scientific dictionary so in terms of science that's what is meant, and yes it is constantly being updated and may be altered in the future but when we find error we move on, Christians cling to one source thousands of years old no matter the evidence

"it's an idea that is not even today fully proven because it has to be constantly updated and not all the aspects are proven"

See in science most things are like this, it's a constant learning experience I can't imagine it could ever finish

"or try to prove God exists."

I fully accept that possibility, I even find it likely but a higher power does not negate any of those findings.
    I personally feel it would be arrogant to attempt to "prove god exist" if god exist it is in a manner that humans can not understand
    Now what I can prove is the bible is man made flawed and in many cases disproven. besides it is filled with misogyny, advocates slavery and generally does not fit my moral code.

"Your 'faith' in a theory is not as strong as mine in God."

I have no doubt that is true since I do not relive in having faith in anything at all Faith is Blind unquestioning trust and acceptance without logical logical proof or material evidence. I see faith as a way to hold back possibility
  • Artist~... DJPanicDC 2012/06/12 07:59:18
    Artist~PWCM~
    Wow! Thanks for admitting that your understanding of science is 'cut and paste'!

2014/04/20 23:37:27