What do you think of people shooting cellphone video in emergencies?

ABC News U.S. 2013/04/24 15:00:00
Related Topics: Emergency, Video, Shooting
In the moments after the Boston Marathon bombings, many people ran away. Others helped the injured. Both are ancient and natural human reactions to calamity. Still others raised their cellphones and shot photos, and video, a new and growing reaction that technology and social media have created.

Is it cowardly? Stupidly reckless? Creepy and voyeuristic? Innocent? Or helpful, given the nascent phenomenon of crowd-sourced footage that aids police investigations? Answer the poll, and watch the full story on “20/20: In an Instant” Friday at 10 ET.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/04/shou...

• Dawn 2013/05/26 17:52:52
  • Kuchi_Main 2013/05/22 00:56:45
    It's good. For one thing, the video can help authorities after the incident.
    Kuchi_Main
    I'm sort of stuck. In most cases, there are enough people around to help, and the person taking the video is actually helping to solve the case. Though, in others, the person shooting the video could be doing harm.
  • Brosia 2013/05/22 00:51:18
  • La 2013/05/15 09:03:48
    La
    It's not as important as jumping in and providing first aid, but if you're not trained in first aid, and you're not busy calling ambulances or following the instructions of someone who does know what they're doing....then it's more useful than doing nothing at all.
  • rchie 2013/05/14 20:05:01
    It's innocent, a middle ground between running away and helping victims, whic...
    rchie
    Here in my country., we call those people UZZI!!! UZZIZERO!! Means they are the kind of people who does a lot of inquiry but does not care.
  • polkastria 2013/05/01 17:35:33
    polkastria
    +1
    As long as the victims are being helped or its a crime like the Boston Marathon bombing where information will be vital later on, film away. But if you are sitting there taking video of a traffic accident when you are the only person able to help... you are a jerk.
  • shadow76 2013/05/01 08:23:27
    shadow76
    That way may the old media will start reporting instead of sensoring it!
  • Zach055 2013/04/30 21:37:34
  • Steven Carr 2013/04/30 20:28:39
    Steven Carr
    It has helped more than hindered so far. As long as those shooting the action don't become pof the problem!
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2013/04/30 20:06:57
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +2
    It helps expose the evil corrupt government doing false flags and fabricating evidence. Be sure to make copies of your photos and videos and keep them protected in a safe place.

BTW, did I mention that 9-11 was an inside job?

9 11 inside job
  • The Third Reich 2013/04/30 19:47:25
    The Third Reich
    Thats a good idea, and also, this is a bit irrelevant and impossible, but I wish they'd find a way for people to text to 911, but not as in daily or in all situations, but only in those cases in which a person's voice or talking may literally result in being caught or it may be a life or death situation in which the person can't speak.
  • C. C. Rider 2013/04/30 10:44:14
    C. C. Rider
    I am all for emergency video off of cell phones, but the time has come to back legislation with a bite that pics of private citizens off of cell phones with out their permission get JAIL TIME. And to post those pics on a public forum with OUT their permission get more jail time.
  • blumunofky 2013/04/29 22:10:40
    blumunofky
    +3
    It may be the only way to record an unbiased version of an event.
  • Faye 2013/04/29 20:30:38
    It's bad: cowardly, creepy or endangers the person and others.
    Faye
    +2
    I was asleep and sick when we had a mild rollover accident. Jokes are still around of me on the internet....I can't help being 61 with fibromyalgia. I was asleep with no clothes on wrapped in a soft blanket with my favorite pillow. It was humiliating to be forced to stand on the side of the road with my drooping boobs showing so that an idiot cop could do a drug test on me and I wasn't even driving. How insane could that be? We were on a long trip and i had my medication with me!
  • C. C. R... Faye 2013/04/30 10:47:38
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    The officer should have been reported ASAP and currently some states are working on legislation on just this very thing of pics of private citizens taken and thrown on the internet. An IP is easy to follow, the trail is there for the police to follow.
  • rahmeek Faye 2013/05/01 15:45:14
  • ZeeOh6Nut 2013/04/29 20:17:06
    ZeeOh6Nut
    Hell yes! Get the truth out where the stories can't be skewed! And as long as big-brother isn't inside my home, I like all the cameras on the streets too! If folks are gonna misbehave by violent crimes on the exterme or even by driving dangerously at the risk of others, let the truth set us all free!
  • Bill 2013/04/29 19:57:59
    Bill
    +1
    It may be the only way you can get the truth, it seems the Government owned and operated media won't give it to you.
  • ☆ QueenAline 2013/04/29 18:08:35
    ☆ QueenAline
    nothing wrong with undeniable and indisputable truth...that's what having any incident on tape means...and it's good.
  • Sheila 2013/04/29 18:07:26
    Sheila
    If lp in a constructive manner then film. I don't know, it seems to be we are able to ignore it if we see it from the other side of a camera... And that is NOT a good thing.
  • Chloeeee 2013/04/29 17:52:48
    Chloeeee
    +2
    It also helps to prevent the media from sensationalising or desensitising footage or photographs of incidents such as this. They have a tendancy to mask the complete truth, and citizen journalists using sousveillance techniques can override spins or masks by the media.
  • Cleaver62 2013/04/29 15:27:13
    Cleaver62
    +1
    It can be a good thing but it can also get in the way. It is a tough call. It is a frightening thought that wherever you go and whatever you do you are under constant surveillance by the government, the local authorities, your neighbors... everyone. There is no such thing as privacy anymore.
  • yabbadabbadoo 2013/04/29 00:41:04
    yabbadabbadoo
    the only reason this poll is up is because "someone" wants to make it illegal for us to video tape situations like these

how can we have a good false flag with a bunch of citizens video taping, taking stills of everything, and then putting it on the internet where its impossible to get rid of
  • polock 2013/04/28 22:43:31
    polock
    +2
    since we all have a camera niow, take the pic's and get paid for the news agency using it. it's the American way.
  • Prophet 2013/04/28 21:33:22
    Prophet
    +2
    Good to have a record of it just in case.
  • Ali42 2013/04/28 20:03:13
    Ali42
    +1
    I think that in most instances, video taping is a good thing. It can it can expose authority figures who are acting innapropiately and abusing their positions of power.

It can also be a better witness to a crime than eye witnesses. Most people know that eye witnesses are notariously unreliable.

Of course, if there is a way to help the victim, then by all means do that. And if the situation turns dangerous, put the dang camera down, call 911 or help if you are able.
  • Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2013/04/28 19:42:38
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    IT's certainly good, but not for "helping" the authorities after the incident. More for exposing what the authorities are doing that wasn't seen in the past.
  • Chrissi 2013/04/28 15:57:09
    Chrissi
    It's an innocent move, people videoing something they feel is good (the marathon) and perhaps something they have photographed will assist peace officers.
  • MisterOriginal 2013/04/28 15:40:26
    MisterOriginal
    +1
    I don't see how it's anything but good. Sharing the video inappropriately, or profiting from disaster video is a little creepy, but that's what broadcast news does every day, right?
  • Just Jenn for Now 2013/04/28 15:29:20
    Just Jenn for Now
    +2
    I don't care what people say about it being bad and discouraging it, it HELPS. I highly ENCOURAGE it, as it's better than multiple individuals calling 911 and flooding the emergency services' lines.

It's quite simple; know there's someone calling 911; if no one, do it yourself. If you have a phone with photo/video, start shooting pictures or recording, unless it's a hostile situation, i.e. a bank robbery. Keep your wits about you, try not to panic, and of course only record IF you feel confident enough.

If you catch anything that could be evidence, submit it ANONYMOUSLY to law enforcement, as you don't want to become the target of a manhunt in case the suspect you just caught on camera has some backup willing to defend him.

Bottom line, I encourage this, but only if people feel it is safe to do so. Obviously if you can't help panicking, DON'T DO IT.
  • akPhilly 2013/04/28 15:18:34
    akPhilly
    I think it has done alot of good, but it really depends on the situation. Like if a person is in need of help & you have some ability to, or if the person posts in on Youtube, not to help anyone, but for their own gains. I mean, sometimes there's literally nothing you can do, so in that case, it can help with future investigation, but it really all depends.
  • KnoxNance 2013/04/28 14:46:36
    KnoxNance
    It is an important tool....as long as you are not needed to assist and you are not interfering with emergency personnel.
  • Big Battles 2013/04/28 13:02:12
    Big Battles
    wow, way to take away the time wasting I do explaining my reasoning. :\
  • smiffjp 2013/04/28 06:33:32
    smiffjp
    too many people in the way can be a bad thing...some countries if you touch a victim you can be brought into part of their injury or death. we have the good Samaritan law kind of protects us
  • ibsteve2u 2013/04/28 01:55:12
    ibsteve2u
    I don't have a problem with Americans videotaping incidents of violence and natural disasters and/or catastrophes to include the responses of our "public servants" to include emergency personnel such as our law enforcement officers.

I have no choice than to suspect that any police department that objects knows full well that they are themselves abusing at least the law if not the civilians who pay their salaries. Otherwise, they would view such recordings as helpful...useful at least for ascertaining exactly what happened and the timeline of events for training purposes if not for the apprehension and prosecution of criminals.
  • Bocephus 2013/04/28 00:31:49
  • Marcus Clark 2013/04/27 23:15:20
    Marcus Clark
    +1
    For those who can't do anything else, it can be helpful documentation later to sort out what happened. They do need to stay out of the way of those taking action.
  • vannuck 2013/04/27 20:58:48
    vannuck
    admiitedly I dont like the idea of some one filming myself or my family in an intence time of need and posting it on youtube but summited to the proper athourities it can be used of evidence or help gather more information.
  • lolitalovely 2013/04/27 20:49:14
    lolitalovely
    +1
    Just use some sense: Don't videotape the dying. It's disrespectful and is really unnecessary.
    Don't stand around videotaping while you're in danger. Either film while running or start helping out. (anyone can dial 911, and many people can knock on a door to get people up in a fire) If you get hurt because you decide to stand around with a camera, someone else has to risk there life to save you.
  • Jay Theyme 2013/04/27 20:17:35

2014/10/25 04:18:26