What do you think of Judge Sotomayor's explanation of her prior claim that a Latino woman could make better judicial decisions than a white male?

Dark Knight 2009/07/14 15:46:45

• Voyager 2009/07/14 19:06:04
    Her explanation was more double-talk from a person who is surely not proper t...
    Voyager
    +2
    I've not heard much out of her mouth, that I'm impressed with. Her attitude is rather racist, against whites and she's always with a smile on ... is that disquise? Those that wear a mask often are hiding behind it. Thumbs down on my impression!

• Alicia 2009/07/16 04:34:36
    Alicia
    +1
    Her explanation is political mumbo jumbo but she's going to get in so why waste time with these ridiculous hearings. The woman is a racist!
  • Shark 2009/07/15 06:26:43
    Shark
    +1
    She is part of Obama's plan to rid America of it's past.
  • Molly 2009/07/15 03:29:41
    Molly
    +1
    Rhetorical Flourishes seem to run in the liberal party. Looks like she was getting a little testy today. She does not have enough experience. Thanks to affirmative action she is now going to be placed on the highest court in the Nation, what a waste of position.
  • sickone 2009/07/14 22:29:43
    sickone
    +1
    she sad it she cant back track now shes a racist
  • enlightened one 2009/07/14 22:01:57
    enlightened one
    +1
    Her only real decisions is to uphold the constitution and protect the integrity of the judicial system in America. That should be her only aim. If she has another agenda, maybe she should get another job.
  • dmac 2009/07/14 21:24:11
    dmac
    +1
    Now I would love to hear if it is true she "really" (supposedly) said at a NOW meeting that all white men should be castrated until they are no longer the dominate strain. I have heard and ran across that several times in the last several months.
  • medwreck 2009/07/14 21:14:19
    Her explanation is satisfactory in disproving that she is a racist.
    medwreck
    +1
    i think the statement was in no way definitive because it was qualified to death. Moreover, the suggestion that those who have learned to navigate a world that was never their own..Upper class, ivy league, etc. is quite plausible. In no way are white people compelled to take on the behavior/mannerisms of low-income or other minorities, but if people of color, recent immigrants and others want to be taken seriously they must become multi-lingual in their ability to blend into different environments. We all do "impression management" as Goffman called it, some of us more than others.

I am also quite disgusted by the attacks on empathy. It is not code word for bias, it means put yourself in their shoes (both parties to a conflict), rather than to apply her values from on high when her life a) isn't likely to reflect either party's, or b) give her much insight into the claims they are putting forth.
  • Voyager 2009/07/14 19:06:04
    Voyager
    +2
  • Dark Kn... Voyager 2009/07/14 19:45:32
    Dark Knight
    +2
    She seems unable to answer direct questions without skirting things. I don't know - do the people need someone who will not address contradiction?
  • kydso 2009/07/14 19:04:26
    kydso
    +2
    SHE IS A BIG FAT LIAR, LIAR, LIAR.
  • herb 2009/07/14 19:02:43
    herb
    You misquote her in your question, which therefore colors any results you might receive on this.
  • Dark Kn... herb 2009/07/14 19:43:39
    Dark Knight
    +1
    Then fill us all in with the "correct" words.
  • herb Dark Kn... 2009/07/14 22:51:46
    herb
    "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
  • Dark Kn... herb 2009/07/14 22:42:06
    Dark Knight
    +1
    Unless you have recently been put in charge of all media, everything related to this story says that her quote was: that a wise Latina judge would usually reach better conclusions than a white man. How different is that from what I posted? Maybe your allegation of my misquoting is tainted.
  • herb Dark Kn... 2009/07/14 22:55:10
    herb
    Her quote was that she hoped a wise Latina woman would more often than not reach better conclusions. Your question implies that she with great certainty that a wise Latina could make better decisions. The difference is subtle, but enough to taint the quote.
  • webmaven 2009/07/14 18:43:59
    webmaven
    +2
    that's not what she said. she said in some situations, her background would give her more insight than white males. Absolutely true. Your experiences help you to understand the world.
  • Dark Kn... webmaven 2009/07/14 18:50:05
    Dark Knight
    +1
    Good point - I'm willing to listen to reason, though. My only fear is that she might use her childhood misfortunes to prejuduce her application of the law to facts. Now, no matter what your political positions are, THAT is not the domain of USSCJs, is it?
  • webmaven Dark Kn... 2009/07/14 18:56:59
    webmaven
    +2
    No, it's not, but i don't think anyone can completely ignore their personal experiences. Look at how Clarence Thomas was affected by affirmative action.
  • Dark Kn... webmaven 2009/07/14 19:03:22
    Dark Knight
    +1
    ....and by his accusers!!!!! But, you're right, nonetheless. Ms. Sotomayor is, probably, a shoe-in for confirmation - I just hope she respects the importance of "deciding" issues based on our Constitution only. Have a good day. I'm Ted.
  • webmaven Dark Kn... 2009/07/14 20:51:36
    webmaven
    well, she says she will.
  • Change Happens 2009/07/14 16:59:42
    Change Happens
    +1
    I think you're an idiot whose tooooo stoooopid to post anything original or intelligent....who swallows cRyghtwing claptrap from the likes of Rusty Limpnuts.
  • Dark Kn... Change ... 2009/07/14 18:33:56
    Dark Knight
    +1
    Wow - that's kind of vicious for a question that I thought was reasonable. She was commenting about it this very morning, so it's certainly "current." What's the problem? I may have my opinions, but I certainly didn't interject them into the post - either side was invited to express an opinion. Why all the hatred?
  • Dark Kn... Change ... 2009/07/15 14:02:33
    Dark Knight
    +1
    Any comment? I've you asked for a reply - why not make one?
  • Dark Kn... Change ... 2009/07/16 12:23:28
    Dark Knight
    I asked you, twice, each time in a reasonable manner, to reply. Instead, all you ever cared to do was to throw out the insults, then run and hide. So, I viewed your profile before I chose to write this. I thought that, maybe, I could, possibly, find some common ground upon which to build a conversation. But, only one thing stood-out! You're a disgustingly FAT PIG. You, Flabby, should do something with your time, other than sitting. The next time that you waddle to the refridgerator for a snack, try the carrot sticks, rather than the sticks of butter. Now, see, wasn't that about as constructive as your insults?
  • lslsttn 2009/07/14 16:30:01
    lslsttn
    +1
    Neither one of those choices worked for me, Poppy, so I chose the one that my grandmother would have chosen. I want to tell you what I think.

I think that it doesn't matter what gender or color you skin is, what it takes to be a judge is wisdom. Righteousness makes you a judge that doesn't fall prey to corruption. Righteousness comes from faith; so anyone who wants to be a judge should have faith in the institution that he serves. In this case, the people. Be righteous toward the people when you sit in Caesar's seat.

When it comes to government, the people are always the measure.
  • stewbie 2009/07/14 16:19:41
    stewbie
    Epic Fail. Shes still a racist.
  • iamnothere 2009/07/14 16:17:19
    iamnothere
    she has already surpassed her level of competence

2014/10/26 06:59:18