What Do You Think Is the Most Stressful Job?

ABC News U.S. 2013/01/03 12:00:00
Looking for a low-stress job? Being a full-time university professor is the least stressful career for 2013, according to jobs site CareerCast.com. The site ranked the top 10 most stressful and least stressful jobs.

In assessing 200 careers, CareerCast.com's criteria included 11 stress factors like travel, job outlook, deadlines, working in the public eye, competitiveness, physical demands, environmental conditions, hazards encountered, own life at risk, life of another at risk, and meeting the public.

CareerCast works with math and statistics researchers at the University of Wisconsin to compile the list, using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, trade reports and other sources.

seamstress

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-10-stressful-st...

• Rave 2013/01/03 18:53:50 (edited)
    Corporate executive
    Rave
    +12
    Being a surgeon or in any very high position job where you have constant responsibility and worries on your mind and don't get much holiday or break at all, is pretty stressful I bet. My dad was working very high scale in an international company, we had a lot of money but I barely ever got to know him since he was always working, always flying from country to country, never home and barely got to enjoy any relaxation time. Even when he was spending time with us he would get calls and have to sort out business deals and often run back to the office.

At least in the military, when you get home, you're home.

• Shifting Piece 2013/01/08 17:42:13
    Military personnel
    Shifting Piece
    I think that's highly stressful-I also think a surgeon would be a stressful job.
  • vannuck 2013/01/07 20:46:16
  • TheBadOne 2013/01/07 18:33:14
    Military personnel
    TheBadOne
    Taxi drivers and and emergency service personnel have problems to deal with, but none as bad as having to worry about being maimed by an IED.
  • Dickens 2013/01/07 18:07:15
    Military personnel
    Dickens
    ...yep, fighting and potentially dying to protect old mens' corporate profits is extraordinarily stressful...
  • Daryl 2013/01/07 17:54:26
    Military personnel
    Daryl
    Ambassador to Libya.

libyan ambassador
  • harley oldman 2013/01/07 15:59:12
    Military personnel
    harley oldman
    NO DOUBT............Military personnel.....1st. Getting OLD is ....2nd.
  • max reilly 2013/01/07 15:56:27
    Military personnel
    max reilly
    People try to kill you. I would be stressed.
  • jack_kazim 2013/01/07 08:00:39
  • Ayushee 2013/01/07 07:59:43
    Journalist
    Ayushee
    i don't know anything about any of these jobs,I chose journalism because it got the least number of votes.I thought of rising the number of votes it got.
  • Katie 2013/01/07 07:49:22
    Military personnel
    Katie
    My cousin is in the Marines and he has stress not only on duty but when he comes home. He came from Afghanistan with a lot of trauma that he's still trying to get through. It follows them everywhere.
  • KoAm 2013/01/07 00:24:44
    Firefighter/police officer
    KoAm
    +1
    It's not my job, that's for sure.

Cheech & Chong could handle my job.
  • cynthia.johanson.7 2013/01/06 23:37:43
    Military personnel
    cynthia.johanson.7
    I was married to a Marine and it is stressful. S
  • Azrael-In GOD we trust 2013/01/06 21:52:49
    Military personnel
    Azrael-In GOD we trust
    I can't speak from experience-I've never been in the military, but I see and read a lot of what they go thru.
    It makes no sense as to why they have to go thru so much in coming home to receive help for defending all back here.
  • Srztanjur 2013/01/06 20:28:34
    Military personnel
    Srztanjur
    Taxi driver got 715 votes? Really?
  • Jeff 2013/01/06 18:33:38
    Military personnel
    Jeff
    It has to be Military Personnel. I couldn't imagine anything more stressful than that.
  • jimrthy BN-0 2013/01/06 17:44:07
    Military personnel
    jimrthy BN-0
    +1
    Based on these criteria, how could it get any worse than the military?
  • mobin 2013/01/06 15:02:07
    Military personnel
    mobin
    actually the job what i can't do thats the hardest job.
  • ♣Tanor Zeta Faux♣ 2013/01/06 13:44:56
    Taxi driver
    ♣Tanor Zeta Faux♣
    +1
    The one thing worse than a taxi driver, is a backseat taxi driver. Sometimes, the taxi driver will contemplate crashing for the hell of it. But, each of these jobs have their stress points for different reasons. So to say the most stressful, totally depends on many conditions and situations. There are too many to list. Then there's the fact that one career is more stressful for a single person than the other person in the same career. It's all about relativity here.

One can say that being a housekeeper for a crazy old bat is stressful, another can say working on constructing a bridge is most stressful, another can say farming is very stressful, and someone can say vocalizing or voice acting is stressful (and in a lot of ways, it will show in the long run. A number of voice actors & singers ruined their vocal chords doing this. For some it totally hurts to talk or prone to laryngitis or pretty much muted for the rest of their lives.).

To me, the most stressful job is one where you have the lives of many to protect all at once and if you fail at it, you'll lose those lives, especially if said lives are very close and dear to you.
  • wildcat 2013/01/06 13:36:58
    Military personnel
    wildcat
    I've read on line that an enlisted soldier is the most stressful job in the USA. Is that what you mean or the most stressful job all over the world.
  • JAR HEAD 2013/01/06 13:32:16
    Military personnel
    JAR HEAD
    combat is the most stressful thing ever
  • lucky 2013/01/06 13:19:18
    Military personnel
    lucky
    +1
    You are never really off duty and you never know when you can be called away to spend anywhere from days to nearly years away from your family and loved ones. Your constantly moved from place to place, never really being able to put down roots. You cant quit no matter how mad you get or how bad you get treated, You wear what you are told, you go where you are told and you do what you are told and you dont give anyone any lip about it either if you know whats good for you.
  • La 2013/01/06 11:03:17
    Military personnel
    La
    Top of the list
  • Pete 2013/01/06 10:46:14
    Firefighter/police officer
    Pete
    +1
    I actually disagree with all choices. A teacher in today's out-of-control society absolutely has the most stressful job. Today's teacher is a babysitter, parent, social worker, police officer, and now also an unarmed soldier in the war against the drugged lunatics who may wander in off the street. Until armed guards appear in every school and each teacher is offered the right to arm himself or herself, teachers are hostages for whom each day may be his or her last. It's impossible to ask the dead teachers in Connecticut about the truth of this statement, but ask the teachers at your local school. Banning guns will simply increase the danger of loss of life that each teacher faces.
  • Stephi.Pie Pete 2013/01/06 15:49:07
    Stephi.Pie
    +7
    Agreed wholeheartedly!
  • MissJo 2013/01/06 10:00:49
    Military personnel
    MissJo
    Actually, I think be an executioner would be pretty stressful..
  • La MissJo 2013/01/06 11:04:32
    La
    Why?
  • MissJo La 2013/01/07 01:36:18 (edited)
    MissJo
    Your job is to kill people.. sure, they might be people who have done bad things but if you're completely unaffected by the fact you're essentially killing hundreds if not thousands of people than you can't be a too good person yourself.
  • JeffDeWitt MissJo 2013/01/07 05:09:13
    JeffDeWitt
    +1
    Umm... hundreds or thousands of people?!? Since 1976 when the death penalty was brought back a total of 1320 people have been executed, Only three states have executed over a hundred people and of those states only Texas was much over a hundred (WAY over, 492). So it's unlikely that any one person was responsible for more than a few people.
  • Kelsey 2013/01/06 09:00:45
    Military personnel
    Kelsey
    +1
    Wee obvious
  • briankiarie31 2013/01/06 06:59:09
    Taxi driver
    briankiarie31
    I think waking up everyday knowin that u`l b on the wheel itx xo streesin`
  • 1marky 2013/01/06 03:32:33
    Taxi driver
    1marky
    Couldnt imagine being a taxi driver with all the idiots on the road. Speed limits. Left lanes for passing. Turn Signals. Crooked parking. Brake lights out. Talking on phones. Running lights... It isnt me, its the fact that people think they are above everybody else. Even driving to and from work makes for a very stressful time. As someone with a CDL, I drive by the book. My license is on the line if I dont, and it is federally mandated. There is a reason id rather run at night.
  • monkeyking908 2013/01/06 03:03:32
    Taxi driver
    monkeyking908
    +2
    for the military you know (for the most part) whos going to shot you taxi drivers dont and they have to deal with pplz yelling and screaming at them about the cab fair people skiping out on the pay and trafic
  • Capitalism4life 2013/01/06 00:46:26
    Corporate executive
    Capitalism4life
    I was in the military and I would pick that but there are so many cake walk professions I couldn't justify it.
  • john.keenan.792 2013/01/06 00:35:39
    Military personnel
    john.keenan.792
    being ex-army myself yeah its tough, you see things in combat that can get to you and if you don't keep a lid on it and be strong willed it can melt you down
  • tom 2013/01/05 22:56:42
    Corporate executive
    tom
    More likely I would say anyone in the medical field.
  • whateverbabynevermind 2013/01/05 21:58:23
    Corporate executive
    whateverbabynevermind
    I mean, that's just stress, I think that military personnel and firefighters/police officers are more put under pressure and have procedure with how to deal with it, so they don't feel the same stress. But, as a daughter of an investment banker who didn't see her father until she was three because he was working all the time, I really think that they feel stress the most.
  • C. C. Rider 2013/01/05 21:19:23
    Journalist
    C. C. Rider
    +3
    You left out working in the abuse and Contact Us Dept here at Sodahead. lol

Those guys are over worked for sure!!! complaint dept
  • Queen B C. C. R... 2013/01/05 21:29:26
    Queen B
    +1
    LMAO!!! lmao emoticon i spewed my coffee
  • C. C. R... Queen B 2013/01/06 00:17:49
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    You know they have to throw on an extra pot of coffee when they us libs heading on over to discuss Obama with the cons lol lol
  • Queen B 2013/01/05 20:33:03
    Firefighter/police officer
    Queen B
    +1
    From my personal experience of living with a former volunteer firefighter who is currently a police chief, I'd say those occupations are the most stressful. He's never off duty and gets called in any hour of the day or night.

2014/09/17 20:42:22