What do you think about the fact that the case against William Ayers was dismissed in 1972 due to illegal government activity?

Teddie 2008/10/10 18:10:54
Published: October 10, 2008 9:00 AM ET NYX

NEW YORK In a surprising a letter to the editor published in The New York Times today, the chief prosecutor of the Weather Underground in the 1970s expressed outrage over the linking of Barack Obama to Bill Ayers by the McCain campaign, adding, "Although I dearly wanted to obtain convictions against all the Weathermen, including Bill Ayers, I am very pleased to learn that he has become a responsible citizen."

William C. Ibershof also corrects a charge in the Times: "I do take issue with the statement in your news article that the Weathermen indictment was dismissed because of 'prosecutorial misconduct.' It was dismissed because of illegal activities, including wiretaps, break-ins and mail interceptions, initiated by John N. Mitchell, attorney general at that time, and W. Mark Felt, an F.B.I. assistant director."

Felt, of course (you may have already forgotten), was also known as a guy called "Deep Throat."

The full letter follows. For constant coverage of the media and the campaign go to our new blog at:
The E&P Pub

*
As the lead federal prosecutor of the Weathermen in the 1970s (I was then chief of the criminal division in the Eastern District of Michigan and took over the Weathermen prosecution in 1972), I am amazed and outraged that Senator Barack Obama is being linked to William Ayers’s terrorist activities 40 years ago when Mr. Obama was, as he has noted, just a child.

Although I dearly wanted to obtain convictions against all the Weathermen, including Bill Ayers, I am very pleased to learn that he has become a responsible citizen.

Because Senator Obama recently served on a board of a charitable organization with Mr. Ayers cannot possibly link the senator to acts perpetrated by Mr. Ayers so many years ago.

I do take issue with the statement in your news article that the Weathermen indictment was dismissed because of “prosecutorial misconduct.” It was dismissed because of illegal activities, including wiretaps, break-ins and mail interceptions, initiated by John N. Mitchell, attorney general at that time, and W. Mark Felt, an F.B.I. assistant director.

William C. Ibershof
Mill Valley, Calif., Oct. 8, 2008

• Yukkione "In Science We Trust" 2008/10/10 19:14:23
    It was right. Dismissal protected civil rights guaranteed by the Constitutio...
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +3
    The prosecutor on the case has come out to say he is outraged by the political campaign that is trying to use Ayers as a tool to smear another candidate. He also said that the case was dropped due to egregious breaches of the law on the part of law enforcement.

• Jincks013 the Liberal Veteran 2008/11/04 16:48:26
    It was right. In order to protect the integrity of evidence offered before t...
    Jincks013  the Liberal Veteran
    +1
    We all have civil rights and I think anyone who questions this needs to reread article 4 of the constitution. Its why cops can't randomly walk in and search your house, tap your phone line; though in the day of cell phones and digital networks this is nearly impossible to do.
  • sadiesmom 2008/11/04 15:51:13
    sadiesmom
    +2
    Is anyone surprised this occurred under Nixon?

I've tried to pound this point home to all of those...but, to no avail!
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +3
  • troy82 ... Yukkion... 2008/11/04 13:19:09
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    but even ayer's said he was guilty as hell.
  • Yukkion... troy82 ... 2008/11/04 13:57:14
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +2
    yea In the 60's when Obama was 8 years old.
  • troy82 ... Yukkion... 2008/11/04 14:01:18
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    I thought this blog was about FACTS- and there are plenty of people who question what he teaches to this day -and they worked together -as adults, and they are neighbors, and the list goes on proving obo to have lied about JUST being neighbors All FACTS.
  • Yukkion... troy82 ... 2008/11/04 15:49:05
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +2
    yea they worked together on education issues. (ooo bad scary stuff) As to neighbors..wtf As if my neighbors are any indication of who i am. Your soup is weak.
  • troy82 ... Yukkion... 2008/11/04 18:48:36
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    I saw you on a video blog....looks like you need to lay off the soup......from there, at least you just acknowledged that he lied to the American public - dont wast your time replying, save some time for jogging maybe!
  • Yukkion... troy82 ... 2008/11/04 18:50:36
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    It what I say not the fact that I have long hair. Sorry tyou are to petty to get beyond that
  • troy82 ... Yukkion... 2008/11/04 18:54:26
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    what are you talking about hair for? That confused from the kool aid?
  • Yukkion... troy82 ... 2008/11/04 20:12:42
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    lay off the soup? Save time for jogging? Grow up.
  • Jincks0... troy82 ... 2008/11/04 16:51:51
    Jincks013  the Liberal Veteran
    +1
    Dude I question what my professors teach everyday ! Questioning isn't a bad thing. I've met some odd folks at my dad's house.. I med Rev. Richard Butler once; at dads, at dinner.. does that make me a skinhead?
    I met John Trockman of the Militia of Montana at dads house, visiting, does that make me a terrorist?
    Guilt by association is one of the stupidest tactics I've seen so far.
    My dad is a horrid racist...does that make me one because I visit my father upon occasion?
  • Rune Profit 2008/10/10 19:02:54
    Rune Profit
    +3
    I don't know but it's been over for 37 years now and the guy is living as a model member of society now... and has been for a long time. Done.
  • . . . . Rune Pr... 2008/10/10 21:38:08
  • Rune Pr... . . . . 2008/10/11 00:34:14
    Rune Profit
    +2
    kikki, what has Ayers done wrong in the last 10 years... have proof BTW, not some unprovable allegation. To Rove Republicans any group, committee, and organization is evil if they can turn it that way for the election.
  • Nernie 2008/10/10 18:59:32
    Nernie
    +2
    What goes around comes around!
  • Iamfree 2008/10/10 18:39:24
    Iamfree
    +1
    Although I hate cases that are thrown out on technicalities, it is the only option.
  • kahless 2008/10/10 18:20:20
    kahless
    Thats why this is a great country, but look at what AYERS and Obama are doing to the country now...We are a step away from socialism, bordering on communism. They both hate everything this country stands for. Ayes wife while robbing a brinks truck killed a police officer who had a wife and two kids...Do you really want this type of person in the white house.....if you do..you had better learn to love your enemies, because they will be your neighbors.
  • Teddie kahless 2008/10/10 18:44:14
    Teddie
    I promise you, I will never vote for Ayer's wife.
  • Yukkion... kahless 2008/10/10 19:15:09
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +2
    What are they doing now. perhaps you could enlighten us. (of course you never do)
  • Teddie kahless 2008/10/10 22:39:04
    Teddie
    Bill Ayers will not be anywhere near the white house.
  • . . . . 2008/10/10 18:17:14
  • Teddie . . . . 2008/10/10 18:46:54
    Teddie
    +1
    I am, like you, very satisfied that karma will in the end make it all right. But part of OUR karma is making sure we don't let any blind men fall off cliffs. We all do the best we can according to our ability to see (discern) and learn. Speaking of karma, a part of karmic law is that what you wish for others in fact comes back at you. That thought scares me sometimes, and I try to control my wishes!
  • . . . . Teddie 2008/10/10 21:35:10
  • Yukkion... . . . . 2008/10/10 19:16:08
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +2
    Actually Ayers would not still be in jail even if he had been convicted. After all his crime was that of destruction of property.
  • . . . . Yukkion... 2008/10/10 21:37:13
  • Yukkion... . . . . 2008/10/10 23:10:35
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +1
    He would not be in jail longer than what people get for rape or murder. Regardless od whether he had gone to jail, he has done many good things in his life and I would forgive him. Do you forgive people?

2014/12/22 15:38:08