What do you do to show respect for U.S. soldiers?

Silly Me 2008/12/26 19:04:13
I do this
I do that
Now that I think of it...
Hmm, haven't given it much thought at all
Soldiers in the U.S. military ARE true heroes, even when the politics suck. If you are part of our armed forces, thank you. I, as a citizen, try to honor you by exercising my rights and upholding my responsibilities. I teach my children about our history, and talk to them about what it means to be a citizen. We stay in touch with our friends in the military...

Think about what you do each day that shows respect for both our country and the people that help maintain our freedoms.

You do not need to agree with, or even like the politics of war. This poll is not about anger, hate, Obama... It is about respect, and how you show it for America and it defenders.

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful participation.

-Author Unknown

Take a man and put him alone,
Empty his heart of all but blood,
Make him live in sand, in mud.
This is the life I have to live,
This the soul to God I give.
You have your parties and drink your beer,
While young men are dying over here.
Plant your signs on the White House lawn;"Lets get out of Iraq"
Use your signs and have your fun,
Then refuse to use a gun.
There's nothing else for you to do,
Then I'm supposed to die for you?
There is one thing that you should know;
And that's where I think you should go!
I'm already here and it's too late.
I've traded all my love for all this hate.
I'll hate you till the day I die.
You made me hear my buddy cry.
I saw his leg and his blood shed,
Then I heard them say, "This one's dead".
It was a large price for him to pay,
To let you live another day.
He had the guts to fight and die,
To keep the freedom you live by.
By his dying, your life he buys,
But who cares if a Soldier dies!

• conrman 2008/12/26 19:54:11
    I do this
    conrman
    +4
    I offer them employment opportunity, when they get out of the military.....
    They are generally hard workers, rarely if ever, late. They show discipline and respect to clients and customers. I find many show initiative, and ask intelligent questions. I rarely have to train them more than once, and find that they are appreciative of the respect and pay that they earn.

• Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2009/01/01 14:27:06
    I do this
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
  • Snowboarder 2008/12/29 21:28:44
    I do this
    Snowboarder
    +2
    My friends salute them
    friends salute
  • Groucho 2008/12/27 02:14:26
    I do this
    Groucho
    +2
    Thank them and care for their needs. Someone very special to me is serving in Iraq. These people are heroes.
  • Texas Johnny 2008/12/27 01:26:09
    I do this
    Texas Johnny
    +3
    I would simply come up to them and shake their hand and thank him/her for their service.
    If they are wearing their uniform and I can see a unit patch(army especially and of course the USMC), I can share a little history of that unit to let him/her know that we are not all ignorant civies and we appreciate their sacrifices because of who came before them and how they carry on those traditions. usmc share history unit himher ignorant civies sacrifices carry traditions http://www.americans-working- history unit himher ignorant civies sacrifices carry traditions httpwww americans-working- history unit himher ignorant civies sacrifices carry traditions httpwww americans-working- together.com/sitebuilderconte...
  • Stick a fork in me, I'm DON... 2008/12/26 22:46:51
    I do this
    Stick a fork in me, I'm DONE!!!
    +3
    i show my fellow soldiers respect by serving with them. we bask in our comradory. i show respect for my superiors and my subordinates. i do my best to make sure that those i am in charge of are properly trained...not only that, but i also make sure they are well taken care of; i do not enter the chow line until i've seen, with my own eyes each of my soldiers has food. i ask how things are going at home. if they can't make it to drill, i work with my fellow NCOs to find transportation for them.
    and when i meet fellow veterans, i shake their hand and thank them.
  • outofhope 2008/12/26 20:05:06
    I do this
    outofhope
    +3
    HUG HIM/HER if they allow me to. I'd kiss their boots and tell them Thank you, thank you and thank you for your service and keeping me and my family safe. I did it to my own son, and I'll do it to yours too. Thank you American HERO'S.
  • conrman 2008/12/26 19:54:11
    I do this
    conrman
    +4
  • wolfling 2008/12/26 19:54:10
    wolfling
    ... and I sang "John Wayne was a Nazi" for them.
  • conrman wolfling 2008/12/26 20:00:46
    conrman
    +1
    Love the "DUKE".....didn't realize he was into politics....

John Wayne (born Marion Morrison) was the son of pharmacist Clyde Morrison and his wife Mary. Clyde developed a lung condition that required him to move his family from Iowa to the warmer climate of southern California, where they tried ranching in the Mojave Desert. Until the ranch failed, Marion and his younger brother Robert E. Morrison swam in an irrigation ditch and rode a horse to school. When the ranch failed, the family moved to Glendale, California, where Marion delivered medicines for his father, sold newspapers and had an Airedale dog named "Duke" (the source of his own nickname). He did well at school both academically and in football. When he narrowly failed admission to Annapolis he went to USC on a football scholarship 1925-7. Tom Mix got him a summer job as a prop man in exchange for football tickets. On the set he became close friends with director John Ford for whom, among others, he began doing bit parts, some billed as John Wayne. His first featured film was Men Without Women (1930). After more than 70 low-budget westerns and adventures, mostly routine, Wayne's career was stuck in a rut until Ford cast him in Stagecoach (1939), the movie that made him a star. He appeared in nearly 250 movies, many of epic...""'

John Wayne (born Marion Morrison) was the son of pharmacist Clyde Morrison and his wife Mary. Clyde developed a lung condition that required him to move his family from Iowa to the warmer climate of southern California, where they tried ranching in the Mojave Desert. Until the ranch failed, Marion and his younger brother Robert E. Morrison swam in an irrigation ditch and rode a horse to school. When the ranch failed, the family moved to Glendale, California, where Marion delivered medicines for his father, sold newspapers and had an Airedale dog named "Duke" (the source of his own nickname). He did well at school both academically and in football. When he narrowly failed admission to Annapolis he went to USC on a football scholarship 1925-7. Tom Mix got him a summer job as a prop man in exchange for football tickets. On the set he became close friends with director John Ford for whom, among others, he began doing bit parts, some billed as John Wayne. His first featured film was Men Without Women (1930). After more than 70 low-budget westerns and adventures, mostly routine, Wayne's career was stuck in a rut until Ford cast him in Stagecoach (1939), the movie that made him a star. He appeared in nearly 250 movies, many of epic proportions. From 1942-43 he was in a radio series, "The Three Sheets to the Wind", and in 1944 he helped found the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals, a right-wing political organization, later becoming its President. His conservative political stance was also reflected in The Alamo (1960), which he produced, directed and starred in. His patriotic stand was enshrined in The Green Berets (1968) which he co-directed and starred in. Over the years Wayne was beset with health problems. In September 1964 he had a cancerous left lung removed; in March 1978 there was heart valve replacement surgery; and in January 1979 his stomach was removed. He received the Best Actor nomination for Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) and finally got the Oscar for his role as one-eyed Rooster Cogburn in True Grit (1969). A Congressional Gold Medal was struck in his honor in 1979. He is perhaps best remembered for his parts in Ford's cavalry trilogy - Fort Apache (1948), She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) and Rio Grande (1950).

Nothing about being a Nazi.....Hummm?
    were you just being cynical?
  • wolfling conrman 2008/12/26 20:21:46
    wolfling
    +1
    It's a great song, though!

;-)
  • conrman wolfling 2008/12/26 20:55:55 (edited)
    conrman
    +1
    It is a cool tune, very punk......heard some early suicidal t.....just this a.m.

Skate music is very expressive.....
    I dig the tunes mostly, not really into lyrics much.....My wife is right, I just don't listen....LOL....
  • Juliettecr conrman 2008/12/26 21:11:07
    Juliettecr
    +1
    Since you love the Duke, I thought you would also like this tribute song to John Wayne. The song is "Quiet Man" and the link for it on Youtube.com is:

Enjoy! :-)
  • Silly Me wolfling 2008/12/26 21:39:48
    Silly Me
    Not familiar with this song, is it a song that is respectful to soldiers?
  • wolfling Silly Me 2008/12/26 22:25:26
    wolfling
    Not at all, but it does entertain them!
  • Stick a... wolfling 2008/12/27 01:09:25
    Stick a fork in me, I'm DONE!!!
    +1
    John Wayne wasn't a nazi...he was the king of the Mongols, you big silly!!!

john wayne nazi king mongols silly
  • wolfling Stick a... 2008/12/27 01:10:58
    wolfling
    Oh! My mistake!
  • Stick a... wolfling 2008/12/27 01:16:24
  • conrman Stick a... 2008/12/27 09:00:04
    conrman
    +1
    Awesome!!!!
  • Texas J... wolfling 2008/12/27 01:18:17
    Texas Johnny
    +1
    I am sorry you feel that way. John Wayne was a good actor and portrayed characters that were the quintesential American heroes: Cowboys, Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, lawmen and even a boxer(The Quiet Man). He may not have had a perfect life, but who is perfect in how they conduct their life? I loved his movies and still do.
  • 519378 2008/12/26 19:40:11
    I do this
    519378
    +1
    I pay my taxes so they can get their $20,000 enlistment bonuses, and their $50,000 re-enlistment bonuses and I pray for the souls of all the American military that kill tens of thousands of innocent women and babies in Iraq at the insistence of America's President George Bush.
  • conrman 519378 2008/12/26 19:54:50
    conrman
    +1
    I am glad to hear you pay your taxes.....
  • Silly Me 519378 2008/12/26 21:52:33
    Silly Me
    I have never met a US soldier that is wealthy, in terms of income, or even 'comfortable'. I am willing to bet that most of our military folks struggle to make ends meet.

I did not say that the politics of war are welcome by any of us. Despite the politics PB, every person fighting for our liberties is doing so voluntarily. This job, without a doubt has many pitfalls, one of which is to be reviled by some of the very people they have sworn to protect.

I cannot say that I am a brave enough person to give EVERYTHING I AM to the ideal of freedom. These men and women give themselves mind and body to preserving this nation, with all of its beauty and all of its faults, (in part they give their lives so that you and I can have this discussion.)
  • conrman Silly Me 2008/12/27 09:12:56
    conrman
    The pay scale is not great, unless you have promoted and served for many many years....the benefits used to make up for low pay, but benefits are not very good anymore. Education assistance was also appealing....not sure whats available these days.
    Many low ranking military personnel live below the poverty line now days, I have been told. They are not hourly employees either....and even soldiers in the administrative positions go into the field at some point.....
    Most civilians cannot and will not ever truly understand the life of a soldier.
  • Texas J... 519378 2008/12/27 02:06:28
    Texas Johnny
    I find your answer to be a slap in the face of every member of the armed sevices, sir.
    I pray for you that God would give you the good sense to be silent with such commentary around a soldier or Marine.
    .

2014/07/28 14:43:28