What ARE The Best Qualifications For President Of The United States?

Jason 2011/08/20 04:20:56
I Think This . . .
I Think That . . .
Other . . .
Governor of a state? Good grades in college? A military background? Time in Congress?

• Emanon 2011/08/20 18:07:25 (edited)
    Other . . .
    Emanon
    +1
    "No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States."
    ..this and..

While previous political experience is a great idea, I do not think you should have to be a governor, some of of the people who we know for leading major past bills were not in the such a position....

Good college grades once again could be a good thing yet many intelligent people opted out of the college route...

Military background... teaches one to be good at giving orders and taking them but... once again I would not see this as a major thing. Some of my most favorite presidents never served in the military.

Time in congress... I guess this can go back to my first post of previous political experience.
  • Ben Brink 2011/08/20 05:44:39
    I Think This . . .
    Ben Brink
    +1
    We have had fine presidents from many backgrounds. It is rather a record of ethical leadership and courage that is key.
  • Larry 2011/08/20 04:26:18
    Other . . .
    Larry
    +2
    be a native born american
  • keymanjim Larry 2011/08/20 04:27:47
    keymanjim
    +2
    Natural born.
  • Thaligh... Larry 2011/08/20 04:28:20
    Thalightguy
    +1
    native or natural? As far as we know O is a native.
  • Thalightguy 2011/08/20 04:25:25
    Other . . .
    Thalightguy
    +1
    The Founders feared foreign influence, they knew naturalized citizens could have divided allegiance so they made it a requirment for the President to be a natural born citizen (in my opinion they were very wise to include such a qualification).

The U.S. Dept. of State defines dual nationality as a person who has divided allegiance

O had admitted on his own acord that he was born with dual nationality.
  • Jason Thaligh... 2011/08/20 04:26:34
    Jason
    Thank you, any another qualifications would you like to see?
  • keymanjim Jason 2011/08/20 04:29:03
    keymanjim
    +1
    Tried and true fiscal conservatism.
  • Thaligh... Jason 2011/08/20 04:31:41
    Thalightguy
    +1
    Well, since they have decided that you can be born with citizenship to another Country and still be eligible...I would like an amendment allowing only persons born with citizenship to the U.S. to become President.
  • Jason 2011/08/20 04:22:13
    Other . . .
    Jason
    I think it USED to be all these things. Executive experience, military service, etc. But I think now, more and more it is someone OUTSIDE of these things willing to upset the established order of things . . .

2014/07/23 08:09:58