What -eist are you

Feck Sodahed 2009/03/24 21:57:23
Atheist
Deist
Monotheist
Pantheist
Pandeist
Polytheist
Rather than posing the question of God like it is often posed here… usually giving options only for Christians and Athiests… I’d like to offer all of the other belief systems. This list is not inclusive of all the different belief systems…as many have sub categories… and subcategories of subcategories. I listed the main ones. Please feel free to add yours if it isn't listed.

Athiest - disbelief in the existence of God or any other deity …and the doctrine that there is neither a god nor any other deity… and explain natural phenomena without resorting to the divine. (Famous Athiests: Sigmund Freud, Friedrich Nietzsche, Karl Marx, Kurt Vonnegut, Confucius, and Epicurus.)

Deist- is the belief that a god or gods exists, created the world, but does/do not alter the original plan for the universe. It typically rejects supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and divine revelation prominent in organized religion, along with holy books and revealed religions that assert the existence of such things. Instead, Deism holds that religious beliefs must be founded on human reason and observed features of the natural world, and that these sources reveal the existence of a supreme being as creator. (Famous Deists: Plato, Thomas Jefferson, Ethan Allen, Aristotle, George Berkley, Cicero, Charles Darwin, and Voltaire.)

Monotheist - Monotheism is characteristic of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and Zoroastrianism… all of which view God as the creator of the world, who oversees and intervenes in human events, and as a beneficent and holy being, the source of the highest good. Some eastern religions, notably Vaishava, Saiva, Sikhism, and some Hindu sects, tend to promote the omnipotence of one particular god within the pantheon, and thus display some monotheistic characteristics.

Pantheist - The religious belief or philosophical theory that God and the Universe are identical (implying a denial of the personality and transcendence of God); the doctrine that God is everything and everything is God. A doctrine that equates God with the forces and laws of the universe. Famous Panthiests: Spinoza, Albert Einstein, Oscar Wilde, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, and Mikhail Gorbachev.

Pandeist - concepts incorporating or mixing elements of Pantheism (that God is identical to the Universe) and Deism (that the creator-god who designed the Universe no longer exists in a status where he can be reached, and can instead be confirmed only by reason). It is therefore most particularly "the belief that God precedes the Universe and is the Universe's creator, [and] that the Universe is currently the entirety of God.

Polytheist - one who believes in a plurality of gods. In practice, polytheism is not just the belief that there are multiple gods; it usually includes belief in the existence of a specific pantheon of distinct deities. Hinduism, Shinto, Buddhism (although many Buddhists are Athiests), and Paganism.

Theist - Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.

Agnostic - The term is applied specifically to those who don't know for certain whether or not God exists. An agnostic is one who believes that the existence of God is unknown and most likely beyond human ability to discover.

Tally as of 3/26/09:
29 Athiest
26 Monotheist
17 Deist/Panthiest/Pandiest
12 Agnostic
12 None
8 Polytheist

• Alex 2013/02/10 12:48:42
    Deist
    Alex
    Organized religion is just not my cup of tea... I discovered Deism some time back and it made sense to me. However, being raised by a Buddhist mother and Christian father, I still retain the values of their doctrines to this day.
  • Join the Death Eaters... We... 2011/01/03 19:23:04
    Polytheist
    Join the Death Eaters... We Have Draco!!!
  • Anemone 2010/03/26 03:05:47
    Atheist
    Anemone
    Specifically, an agnostic atheist.
  • ReadingWritingCaring 2010/01/20 02:20:52
    Monotheist
    ReadingWritingCaring
    I think you forgot henotheistic, so I just picked monotheistic. Of course, there's no word that really fits what I am... It's confusing. I'll leave it at that I am a Hindu.
  • justagirl 2010/01/12 02:06:59
    Deist
    justagirl
    +1
    Deist.
  • Treecat47 2009/07/22 17:24:25
    Pantheist
    Treecat47
    +1
    Atheist or Scientific Pantheist.

Whatever you want to call it :P
  • Delete Now 2009/07/09 05:17:57
  • ubiquit... Delete Now 2009/07/09 20:06:20
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +2
    Wrong symbol... that's a Satanic pengram... not a Wiccan pentacle.

wrong symbol satanic pengram wiccan pentacle
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/09 20:24:32
    Feck Sodahed
    You're right!
  • ubiquit... Feck So... 2009/07/09 21:40:19
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    I should know, I was totally into Satanism as a teenager, lol.
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/09 21:56:46
    Feck Sodahed
    And you're not now? And why?
  • ubiquit... Feck So... 2009/07/09 22:38:54
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +2
    Because it's kind of silly. Satanism glorifies individuality, so it's a bit self-defeating to call yourself a Satanist and run around doing Satanic rituals and living according to the principles laid out by Anton LaVey. Plus let's face it, the only reason it's called Satanism is to freak out Christians.
  • Treecat47 ubiquit... 2009/07/22 17:25:18
    Treecat47
    There's more than one type of Satanism. Anthony LeVay's is just one type ;)
  • ubiquit... Treecat47 2009/07/22 21:21:36 (edited)
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    Yeah but it's the only major type. I'm familiar with "spiritual Satanism", it's silly and very few people are actually into that form of Satanism.
  • ... 2009/07/09 04:35:52
    Atheist
    ...
    +2
    I believe that anything, but atheist beliefs seem the most logical.
  • Roxie 2009/07/09 03:52:57
    Roxie
    +1
    Both Polytheist and Humanist!
    I know that I don't have the answers just as I know that you don't either!
  • Feck So... Roxie 2009/07/09 10:53:21
    Feck Sodahed
    +1
    That's true. Nobody has the answers and anyone who acts like they do is showing their lack of tolerance.
  • ~WilliamsburgSlork~ 2009/07/09 03:28:02
    Atheist
    ~WilliamsburgSlork~
    +1
    Agnostic Atheist...i guess
  • ubiquitous_tergiversation 2009/07/08 23:33:50 (edited)
    Atheist
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    Everyone is either some an atheist or some form of theist. Agnosticism is not an alternative, it just dodges the question of whether or not you believe.
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/08 23:39:37
    Feck Sodahed
    +2
    That's not true. Deists (which also include Pandeists and Pantheists) are not Theists.

Theism:
    1. the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism ). Deists reject the revealed religions (Christianity.Judaism/Islam) and does do not believe God rules or has a hand in events on Earth.
    2. belief in the existence of a god or gods (opposed to atheism ).
  • ubiquit... Feck So... 2009/07/08 23:46:47
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    Deism falls under definition 2, does it not?
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/08 23:55:00
    Feck Sodahed
    No. Because the fact that Deism rejects the Abrahamic God makes it distinct from Theism.
  • ubiquit... Feck So... 2009/07/09 01:09:31
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    You are mistaken... theism is belief in any god(s), not just the Abrahamic one.
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/09 02:24:39
    Feck Sodahed
    Perhaps you are correct....but still...I prefer to differenciate ...as I am highly opposed to the Abrahamic God. He/it is not MY God. My God is the Pandeist God.
  • ubiquit... Feck So... 2009/07/09 02:40:00 (edited)
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    Belief in the Abrahamic god is one of many potential forms of monotheism, monotheism itself being only one form of theism. But yeah, that guy is a dick... I can see why you'd feel that way, lol.

I've never heard of pandeism before. The belief that god existed before the universe, designed it and then became it... is that right? Or are you a pantheist who wants to avoid any association with -theist words?
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/09 02:43:14
    Feck Sodahed
    That's accurate. A Pandeist is combination of a Deist and a Pantheist.
  • ubiquit... Feck So... 2009/07/09 03:08:27
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    It seems overly complicated... why not just pantheism?
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/09 10:55:59
    Feck Sodahed
    Because I believe that there is a creator...just as our Deist Founding Fathers and those of the enlightenment did. A Pantheist doesn't.
  • ubiquit... Feck So... 2009/07/09 17:51:35
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    I mean why do you do believe pandeism over pantheism? If god can just exist and also be the entire universe it seems to me that there is no need for god to have created itself. And isn't that more of a transformation than creation?

Not dissing you or anything, just curious since I've never met a pandeist before.
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/09 18:19:59
    Feck Sodahed
    +1
    It's not that I don't believe pantheism...because I do...but I believe there is more...the creator and its transformation. Pandeism is Pantheism plus Anthropomorphism.
  • ubiquit... Feck So... 2009/07/09 19:23:20
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    But what has led you to believe there is more? Just a hunch?
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/09 19:27:09
    Feck Sodahed
    Just following the ways of my ancestors. I don't believe entirely in science or chance.
  • ubiquit... Feck So... 2009/07/09 19:30:19
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    Ah. I like pantheism because I took LSD and it just made sense, before I even knew what pantheism was. =)
  • Feck So... ubiquit... 2009/07/09 19:33:09
    Feck Sodahed
    That's cool!
    cool
  • Arcos P... Feck So... 2010/10/18 03:35:55
    Arcos Plage
    Yes indeed -- Pandeism gives a why-and-how which accounts for our Universe as we know it....
  • Strix 2009/07/08 18:06:52
    Strix
    +2
    a Voodoo Jew. Seriously, ecclectic all the way.
  • Roxie Strix 2009/07/09 03:54:34
    Roxie
    Jewish Voodoo... is there an outfit for that?
    Lol!
  • Strix Roxie 2009/07/09 03:58:57
    Strix
    +3
    *scratches ear* eh no, not really. I go to synagogue with my mother and do the other with an orisha on my free time. But I study a wide range of other fields including hoodoo, strega, strix, Native American Tribes and more.
  • Roxie Strix 2009/07/09 04:02:53
    Roxie
    +1
    Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Treecat47 Roxie 2009/07/22 17:25:55
    Treecat47
    I agree.

2014/04/16 16:16:23