Were there more qualified Democrats than Obama who the party could have nominated four years ago? And if so, how did Obama emerge as their nominee?

KoAm 2012/07/23 13:04:12

• KoAm 2012/07/23 13:06:31
    I'm gonna be politically incorrect and just blurt it out -- because he's blac...
    KoAm
    +5
    His race matters not a bit to me, at the end of the day ... his job performance does.

Having said that, though, would he have stood out at all as a Democrat candidate four years ago if he were white? Would he have stood out more than Biden, Kerry, Kucinich, Richardson, Hillary Clinton, Gore, or some others?

I doubt it.

Some liberals say Obama has it harder because of his color. I disagree. I think he's had it easier, if anything, because of it.

• Matt M 2012/07/24 04:26:31
    Other: _____
    Matt  M
    Read "Being There".

obama's strength was his utter anonymity. He looked good, biracial, good diction, and a record that, well...didn't exist. Hence not subject to criticism.

When this notion was first suggested in the book, it was laughed at as a fun idea, but not really possible. Well, we elected a complete empty shell.
  • ThinkAboutIt! 2012/07/24 00:49:00
    ThinkAboutIt!
    I think that goes without saying.
  • mike 2012/07/23 20:08:16
    Other: _____
    mike
    +1
    ted the manslaughterer kennedy knew he couldn't get his fat pathetic ass elected,so he got obama, a hapless inept twit, who could read a speech very well if nothing else, to run in his place. Old rudolf the red nosed teddy was gonna be his puppet master, thats how he got his guys reid durban and schumer to sighn on. Unfortunatly for this merry band of blowjobs teddy got sick and died. See, so there is some justice. But we got stuck with this o-bozo with no creepy old kennedy to pull the strings. But I don't know if its more or less of a disaster with him dead, but at least he's dead.
    Other: _____
    +1
    What's his name's Master's bought the election as they will try to do so this time
    Other: _____
    If not Obama they should have put in Clinton. She would have been a good choice and I think the time is right for a female President.
  • heirsoftheking 2012/07/23 13:31:18
    Other: _____
    heirsoftheking
    I don't know. The democratic party seems to come up with wackier and wackier candidates every year.
  • Lady Wh... heirsof... 2012/07/23 13:39:31
    Sheesh... and the republicans are examples of sanity?
  • ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/07/23 13:25:22
    It's all about image, hype, and rhetoric. Obama had more of those things tha...
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +1
    Listen: Nine months prior to the election hardly anyone not from the state of Illinois knew who this guys was. Thanks to the Media, celebrities and Oprah Winfrey he was made into a giant celebrity. He is the first president to ever be an actual massive marketing tool (T-shirts, stickers, etc.) that people made a bunch of cash off of. His list of prior accomplishments is not all that impressive and was polished, BIG TIME. He didn't even complete one term in the Senate.
  • PrettieReptar 2012/07/23 13:22:51
    PrettieReptar
    I don't think it was an accident that the DNC put forward a BLACK man and a white WOMAN.

Although, with that said, after two terms of Bush Jr., I think the DNC could have put forward Ronald McDonald and he would have won.
  • darcie lamar 2012/07/23 13:20:41
    darcie lamar
    "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

The 2008 election was carefully planned for years in advance so the dems could gain power.
    Hillary was much more qualified than Obama, although I would never vote for her.
  • KoAm darcie ... 2012/07/23 13:34:45
    KoAm
    +2
    There were at least four other Democrat candidates in 2007-08 who were much more qualified than Obama. And that's just four Democrats who were running. There were probably many others who weren't running, who would have been more qualified than him.
  • Mr. T 2012/07/23 13:17:38
    Mr. T
    +1
    Obama LIED his way into office. He told everyone what they wanted to hear and they lapped it up like sugar water instead of the snake oil it really was.
  • Demonic Rat Hunter 2012/07/23 13:16:20
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +1
    Well it sure helped having this horse to ride on. obama liberal white guilt obama liberal white guilt obama liberal white guilt
  • mal 2012/07/23 13:08:01
    Other: _____
    mal
    +3
    The fix was in for the 6.25% black, 43% arab and white candidate.
  • KoAm 2012/07/23 13:06:31
    KoAm
    +5

I doubt it.

• Mr. T KoAm 2012/07/23 13:15:35
    Mr. T
    +1
    Exactly.

2014/09/18 03:37:54