Well it has been a whole month! Just weeks after 17-day Hawaii vacation Michelle hits the slopes with daughters on Aspen ski trip
it has been a whole month! Just weeks after 17-day Hawaii vacation
Michelle hits the slopes with daughters on Aspen ski trip
Last updated at 4:25 PM on 20th February 2012
With the economy on its knees, many American families have had to forgo their annual holiday just to make ends meet.
But barely a month after returning from a luxury Christmas break in Hawaii Michelle Obama is on holiday again - this time at the exclusive Colorado ski resort of Aspen. It's her 16th holiday since her husband took office.
First Lady Michelle Obama is spending Presidents' Day weekend in the
upmarket resort with her daughters, Sasha and Malia, and was seen
hitting the slopes - albeit apprehensively - on Saturday.
Cool rider: Michelle Obama, pictured, has gone skiing in Aspen, Colorado with her daughters, Sasha and Malia
Easy does it: The First Lady and her daughters Sasha and Malia are in Aspen for Presidents' Day weekend
The Secret Service have been in town for the past few days looking for safe places for the family to relax.
County Sheriff Joe DiSalvo confirmed Mrs Obama arrived Friday
afternoon, saying, 'it's a privilege to have the first lady here.' He
told the Aspen Daily News he met with Secret Service officers and has
placed seven of his deputies at the service of the First Family.
The Obamas are staying at the home of Jim and Paula Crown, owners of the Aspen Skiing Co, the Daily News reported.
year the first lady gave a speech at their home, in front of about 150
supporters. Each paid between $1,000 and $10,000 to attend the joint
fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee and President Obama’s 2012 presidential campaign.
Snowtime: The Secret Service have been in Aspen
for the past few days looking for safe places for Michelle, Malia and
Sasha to stay
The holiday is not the first time the first girls have been on skis.
first attempt came in Feb 2010 when she took the girls to Liberty
Mountain Resort, in Carroll Valley, Pa. just is 60 minutes from the
And last year Mrs Obama took Sasha and Malia to Vail and Beaver Creek last Presidents' Day just days after the President tried to sell his cost-cutting budget to the American people by asking them to stay at home.
Splashing out: Aspen in Colorado is one of the country's most elite and expensive resorts
Holiday home: The Obamas are reportedly staying
on the estate of Jim and Paula Crown, of Chicago, who own a home on the
‘If you’re a family trying to cut back, you might skip going out to dinner, or you might put off a vacation,’ he said.
again while Mr Obama returned to the White House after a fundraising
trip to West Coast, the rest of his family headed to Colorado – rather
than visiting slopes closer to Washington in Virginia or Pennsylvania.
Their trip came despite previous
criticisms over the family's extravagant vacations, including a trip
last summer to Martha's Vineyeard where the family rented a farm estate
for around $50,000 a week.
Holiday heaven: Mrs Obama raised eyebrows when
she left earlier than her husband for their annual Christmas holiday in
Hawaii incurring extra costs
Mrs Obama also raised eyebrows when
for the second year in a row she left earlier than her husband for their
annual Christmas holiday in Hawaii, incurring additional expenses of an
estimated $100,000. The 17 day holiday is estimated to have cost
total, with Christmas and summer holidays included, the Colorado jaunt
is trip number 16 for Mrs. Obama since the family moved to the White
No public events are scheduled for the first lady’s visit to Aspen.
FIRST LADY OF LUXURY TRAVEL: THE
SPAIN: AUGUST 2010
- Michelle Obama and 40 of her friends paid for personal expenses, such as hotels and meals themselves.
- But the U.S. taxpayer would have paid for the 68-strong security detail, personal staff and use of presidential jet Air Force Two.
- Payment for the secret service team ran at around $281 each - nearly $98,000 for the duration of the summer break.
- Use of Air Force Two comes in at $149,900 for the round trip, not including time on the ground.
- Mrs Obama's personal staff, of which there were an unknown number, should also be taken into account
HAWAII: DECEMBER 2010According to the Hawaii Reporter the costs were:
- $63,000 on an early flight bringing Mrs Obama
and the children to Hawaii ahead of the President
- $1,000,000 on Mr Obama’s return trip from
Washington on Air Force One
- $16,000 to rent nearby homes for Secret
Service and Navy Seals
- $134,000 for 24 White House staff to stay at
the Moana Hotel
- $251,000 in police overtime
- $10,000 for an ambulance to be on hand at all
SKI TRIP TO VAIL:
- Michelle Obama and her daughters stayed at the
Sebastian hotel on Vail Mountain, where rooms cost more than $2,400 for
- The family appear to have flown there on Air
- They were escorted to the resort by about a
dozen vehicles, including 15 state and local law enforcement
- The Blue Heron Farm estate, where the Obama
family stayed, rents for about $50,000 a week.
- Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama flew to the
estate just hours before the president to make the most of the holiday - again,
incurring extra flight costs.
- According to U.S. News and World Report, the
Coast Guard was required to keep ships floating near the property. The
presidential helicopter and jet remain at the ready and security agents will be
on 24-hour duty.
HAWAII: DECEMBER 2011
According to the Hawaii Reporter the costs were:
on an early flight bringing Mrs Obama and the children to Hawaii ahead
of the President but add security and personnel for a total of about
- $3,271,622 on Mr Obama’s return trip from Washington on Air Force One
- $151,200 to rent nearby homes for Secret Service and Navy Seals
- $72,216 for 24 White House staff to stay at the Moana Hotel
See Votes by State
News & Politics