Washington State First To Launch Facebook Voter Registration

Samantha 2012/07/19 18:12:22
This process will attract thousands and thousands of young voters. I'm happy there are plans to launch it in other states. Young voters of my age understand our country is changing demographically. The future of our country is in the hands of a more diverse population.

Washington will become the first U.S. state to allow eligible residents to register to vote through Facebook, in an initiative due to launch this month, Brian Zylstra, a spokesman for the secretary of state's office, said on Wednesday.

Online voter registration has existed in Washington since 2008, but the latest effort to i ncrease voter participation is designed for users who already have a Facebook account.

Through a software application interface jointly developed by Facebook and Microsoft Corp. at no cost to the state, users wishing to register online to vote will be able to do so on the official Facebook page of the secretary of state.

"Once you start the process, you're no longer entering data on Facebook. Facebook is not collecting any of the data," Hamlin said.

Heather Smith, president of Rock the Vote, told Reuters that the group's "first-ever collaboration" with Washington state is one that "targets young people to allow them to register to vote completely online."

No printing, signing or mailing a form to a state office is involved. Rock the Vote plans to launch similar online efforts in California, Oregon and Nevada, Smith said.

Read More: http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/19/...

• Randy 2012/07/19 18:59:11
    Randy
    Voter fraud reaching for a new plateau!
  • Samantha Randy 2012/07/19 20:58:18 (edited)
    Samantha
    No, it isn't. There are ways the state can protect the website; aren't conservatives like you always touting America's innovation? I think the real motivation behind your post is that you support the GOP's voter suppression policies.
  • Randy Samantha 2012/07/19 22:00:30
    Randy
    Voter I.D is a terrible thing to lose. voter terrible lose
  • Samantha Randy 2012/07/20 11:43:07
    Samantha
    Even the proponents of voter ID can't give concrete, credible examples of voter fraud to defend their voter suppression laws. It's a conservative lie, and the laws are being implemented to suppress the votes of minorities, the elderly and even veterans.
  • Randy Samantha 2012/07/20 15:19:02
    Randy
    I am a veteran and never had any problems. I lived in Florida until 2008, don't tell me voter fraud is non-existent. ACORN alone has been caught multiple times!
  • Samantha Randy 2012/07/20 18:47:48
    Samantha
    Oh please, there's no evidence of widespread voter fraud and even the sponsors of these bills can't, when interviewed, name a single instance. They're designed to suppress votes especially the votes of minorities.
  • Randy Samantha 2012/07/21 00:28:07
    Randy
    I'm telling you to get away from the likes of NBC, MSNBC, CNN and the like and take a dip in the new media, it will expose you to things you won't believe. I heard about the Obama "You didn't build it" gaffe a week before your media even mentioned it. I knew about Solyndra months before, some, not all of your media even mentioned it.

2014/09/03 07:04:22