Was the work of people such as MLK Jr. during the Civil Rights Movement all in vain?

Marie/M2M2K™-#1ConservativeGuru 2010/02/20 20:36:26
Before you throw the first stone, hear me out.

I admire all the work MLK, Jr. and the people who fought for Civil Rights back in the 60's. I think MLK, Jr. was a great man in his work during the Civil Rights Movement. But I do not believe, if he were alive today, he would be patting people such as Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson on the back saying job well done. And I do not (my opinion again here) believe he would agree that half of the stuff labeled racism and hate are really racism and hate.

I DO believe his work and that thereafter his assassination by others who picked up the ball and kept it going did this country good. I believe their work was successful.

In the political arena on this site, poll after poll, blog after blog, I read the comments. One word I see quite a lot is "racist" or "racism" even if the conversation has nothing to do with race.

If racism is still THIS HIGH/BAD, then was the work by MLK, Jr. and other civil rights workers all for nothing? Do people of today really even KNOW what racism is or was?

Please no hate comments. This is black history month and I think this question is fair.

• BONNIE 2010/02/20 20:41:20 (edited)
    BONNIE
    +11
    No, I don't think so. Right now we are hearing "racist" because Liberals have no other argument for Obama's failed policies and the anger of the center right of this country, that is directed toward him. In defense of Obama's socialist policies...that is their cry, if we don't agree.

• Gun665 realist... 2010/02/21 15:05:29
  • Marie/M... Gun665 2010/02/21 17:25:48
  • richie 2010/02/21 00:46:23
  • KevHead 2010/02/21 00:41:02
    KevHead
    +3
    My thoughts are that the new herd leader are using the sheep for their own personal gain just like many in our congress and other elected officials are doing.
  • Edward 2010/02/21 00:36:20
    Edward
    +1
    no and as soon as we can clean up government we can get away from the deck of cards they try and play
  • Angel 2010/02/21 00:08:07
    Angel
    +7
    and I dont think he would be proud of Obama either ..... obama sees skin color, King not so much
  • Polycrates~POTL~RWAC 2010/02/21 00:00:14
    Polycrates~POTL~RWAC
    +4
    civil rights of today do not resemble the civil rights of MLKs day.
    He did get his dream ,but along with his dream comes the old saying be careful what you wish for ,you just may get it. The civil rights movement turned into the welfare movement, mlk would be turning in his grave if he saw what his cause had become

careful civil rights movement turned welfare movement mlk turning grave careful civil rights movement turned welfare movement mlk turning grave careful civil rights movement turned welfare movement mlk turning grave
  • jr 2010/02/20 23:58:58
    jr
    +2
    We have black middle class that are silent but clearly understand the propaganda coming from the liberal idiots and know this is not the citizens that love the country as they do
  • Fed Up in NC 2010/02/20 23:21:27
    Fed Up in NC
    +3
    His work was not in vain. If we had stayed on course and utilized our laws to address injustices we would be further along. Instead we have been derailed by those that do not want peace, they want to punish and keep hate alive. Their lives, their careers and fame revolve around fanning the flames of racism. Sharpton, Farrakhan and Jackson, will pick an event, a person or a comment "freeze it then polarize it" the turmoil that follows' sole purpose is to keep the feelings of victimization, unfairness and hate alive. In the end the issues are always resolved in the court system, but the lingering effects of their manipulation keeps us divided.
  • richie Fed Up ... 2010/02/21 00:49:16
  • Gun665 2010/02/20 23:13:24
    +3
    If Obama has his Marxist way,
  • snkypete 2010/02/20 22:51:05
    snkypete
    +3
    Dr. King campaigned for Civil Rights for ALL Americans ,not Americans of a certain color. Do you think poll taxes were to keep Americans of only one color out of the voting booth? NO! It was to keep the poor OF ALL COLORS out of the voting booth.
  • Merl 2010/02/20 22:39:41
    Merl
    +2
    The movement he lead was about judging the character of a man not his race. Those who coopted his message only care about the color of a person not thier character. Look at who the defacto leaders are two men with no moral standing. He was a great man and his work had meaning but after his death the "movement" died and became just as racist as what he was fighting.
  • Dagon 2010/02/20 22:03:58
  • Captain Kirk~POTL 2010/02/20 21:52:29
    Captain Kirk~POTL
    +5
    No,I don`t think so,I think they all made a difference in the civil rights movement,especially MLK!! However today I don`t think most people even know the meaning of racism,today people pull out the race card anytime you don`t agree with them!! Just anyone who disagrees with obama`s policies you are called racist,it has nothing what so ever to do with his color,I don`t care what color he is,it`s what he`s doing to destroy this country!!
  • wolf sloan 2010/02/20 21:38:55
    wolf sloan
    +2
    I think that MLK's work was important. I don't think where the movement has gone since him is where MLK wanted it to go.
  • Steve O 2010/02/20 21:24:04
    Steve O
    +5
    I believe that MLK did great things and has advanced civil rights. There are those today who shout racism at the slightest thing. They slander his name and what he fought and died for.

We have come to the point now where we have reverse discrimination.
  • DADDYFATS61 2010/02/20 21:22:20
    DADDYFATS61
    +8
    MLK was a Republican,killed by southern Democrats of that time period.And he like most celebrities of that time he was under J Edger Hoover's thumb,for his womanizing,just like the Kennedy's. republicankilled southern democrats period celebrities edger hoovers thumbfor womanizingjust kennedys
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2010/02/20 21:19:27
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +7
    I agree with much of what you say. If his work along with the courageous efforts
    of LBJ were not successful, we never could have elected a black POTUS.
    That said, the emphasis on racism by the progressives has set the clock back
    and created more racial conflict than at any time since the Civil Rights legislation was
    passed in the sixties.
    progressives clock created racial conflict civil rights legislation passed sixties
  • susan No nons... 2010/02/21 14:59:35
    susan
    +1
    I wouldn't mention LBJ in the same breath with MLK! A big part of the reason we still have so many poor, uneducated blacks in our inner cities is due to LBJ's Great Society programs that destroyed the black family by forcing black fathers out of the home. Look up the videos by Walter Williams on the effects of LBJ and his programs.
  • No nons... susan 2010/02/21 17:25:32
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +1
    Without the efforts and arm twisting of LBJ, civil rights legislation would not have
    been passed. I doubt if you can blame LBJ for the dependence of black fathers/mothers upon the welfare state. It is much more complicated than that.
  • Marie/M... No nons... 2010/02/21 18:14:32
  • No nons... Marie/M... 2010/02/21 18:23:25
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +1
    Thank you :-D! Parenting is such an important part of a child's
    aspirations and attitude, and without the stability of a family unit
    it is difficult for them to succeed. There are statistics which support
    the fact that the numbers of fatherless black home increased rapidly
    after the passing of the great society legislation, but is that legislation
    itself responsible for that is the question.
  • I am the FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT 2010/02/20 21:15:10
  • Annette 2010/02/20 21:11:55
    Annette
    +7
    I don't think people today know what racism or being racist really is anymore. They seem equate it as something defined only by color, which it is not. There is so much good that was done by MLK, that were he here today, he would have Obama by the ears saying, "Listen, boy!" I think even he would have been marching with us in the Tea Party movement. He loved this country, and he loved people, and he stood for equality for all men, not just blacks. That is the one singular thing most people missed with his message.
  • IndyLinda 2010/02/20 21:08:53
    IndyLinda
    +4
    Yes; King brought the discussion to the table --again. Since then, many have risen, claiming to speak in his name and in line with his views and cause. History is already revealing some as racist race-baiters and world class haters, proving that the negative traits of humanity know no limits of race, gender, ethnic derivation, creed, religion or philosophy. Let's for a moment forget the bodies we wear: The soul builds its own structure of love or hate, love or fear, love or unrighteous judgmentalism, love or race, love or claims to read God's mind.

King revealed that we *have* a choice, and he was merely one man standing in good company from the beginning of time. It's my choice, it's YOUR choice, love or . . .
  • doofiegirl BTO-t- BCRA-F ~... 2010/02/20 21:03:23
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +5
    Mr. King's work was successful in many ways. People that never had a chance now have the advantage of being able to get good jobs based on abilility, they can eat where they want to eat , drink where they want to drink, sit where they choose to sit. It's a shame that some still pursue the sad song of "I'm persecuted because I'm different". I lived in the days of segregation, and the undoing of a great wrong. I know the terrible conditions people were thrust into without any choice of getting a better life. In today's world, most of the problems are caused by people who want too much too soon without any effort of their own. I think Rev. King would be ashamed of some of those that were associated with him in today's world! He never expected to have things handed to him just because he was different, he worked for what he got. He never shouted "racist". He called for Pride! Yes, his work has come a long way, but it is rapidly becoming sidetracked from what he wanted to something else entirely!
  • Allbiz - PWCM - JLA 2010/02/20 20:58:37
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +4
    No. Absolutely not. If not for MLK, minorities would probably be still living as ethnic minorities. Today their largest minority is their color.

Sounds contradictory but geting some rightousness out of what used be used as a
    slur. Remember when blacks had to sit in the back of the bus? And now, today, they drive them.

But considering the advancement of minorities, there has been much improvement. Minorities are now high places in our government, they are in our global corporate board rooms, they are in our education system, medical professions, and every walk of life you can think of. Cross-dating is becoming more open and inter-racial marriages are now acceptable.

Yes, there are still pockets of racism existing. Unfortunate, it hasn't totally dissipated yet. It had been fostering for hundreds of years and may take even longer to become extinct. I never thought I'd live to see a black President. I don't know if I'll live long enough to see the death of racism. But I hope I do.
  • Kaimeso 2010/02/20 20:50:05 (edited)
    Kaimeso
    +1
    edit for oops, I meant to answer NO, his work was not in vain,..

I think MLK was quite successful with white people. Most now recognize that a persons value is based on what they do and NOT the color of their skin.

However with the majority of black people his work is a TOTAL failure,... since all they are interested in is what they can get for nothing,... Perhaps someday they will figure out all they have to do is stop crying about being black and just go do something,..
  • DanaR 2010/02/20 20:49:38
  • One-A-Day 2010/02/20 20:47:02
    One-A-Day
    +4
    No it was not.
  • karmadrome 2010/02/20 20:45:17
    karmadrome
    +4
    Marie, you asked two different questions. Was their work for naught? No. Do people today know what racism really is? Yes and no. We cannot say racism doesn't exist, it does. Is it as pervasive as some like to claim it is? No, not by a long shot. We have a black man as president. He wasn't elected by blacks and other minorities alone.

Would MLK pat Sharpton or Jackson on the back? I'm with you and I'd have to say no. MLK wanted us to look past one's skin color, and neither Sharptpn nor Jackson are interested in that. They love looking at one's skin color to determine if "special" treatment is warranted for no other good reason. I think MLK would be very disappointed with special treatment, since special treatment, good or bad, is still unequal treatment.
  • FightFo... karmadrome 2010/02/20 23:31:32
    FightForFreedom
    +1
    I think you are correct. S&J are "show me the money"
  • BONNIE 2010/02/20 20:41:20 (edited)
    BONNIE
    +11

2014/10/25 17:50:45