Was the work of people such as MLK Jr. during the Civil Rights Movement all in vain?

Marie/M2M2K™-#1ConservativeGuru 2010/02/20 20:36:26
Before you throw the first stone, hear me out.

I admire all the work MLK, Jr. and the people who fought for Civil Rights back in the 60's. I think MLK, Jr. was a great man in his work during the Civil Rights Movement. But I do not believe, if he were alive today, he would be patting people such as Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson on the back saying job well done. And I do not (my opinion again here) believe he would agree that half of the stuff labeled racism and hate are really racism and hate.

I DO believe his work and that thereafter his assassination by others who picked up the ball and kept it going did this country good. I believe their work was successful.

In the political arena on this site, poll after poll, blog after blog, I read the comments. One word I see quite a lot is "racist" or "racism" even if the conversation has nothing to do with race.

If racism is still THIS HIGH/BAD, then was the work by MLK, Jr. and other civil rights workers all for nothing? Do people of today really even KNOW what racism is or was?

Please no hate comments. This is black history month and I think this question is fair.

• BONNIE 2010/02/20 20:41:20 (edited)
    BONNIE
    +11
    No, I don't think so. Right now we are hearing "racist" because Liberals have no other argument for Obama's failed policies and the anger of the center right of this country, that is directed toward him. In defense of Obama's socialist policies...that is their cry, if we don't agree.

• Marie/M... chaoski... 2010/02/21 17:21:59
  • chaoski... Marie/M... 2010/02/23 09:48:19
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    Thanks, it's what I truly believe and wish most people could see. King did have a dream, he had a wonderful dream... today, it's all but forgotten and the ones who profess to believe in it the most are the ones who remember it the least.
  • Lee The... chaoski... 2010/02/22 03:59:12
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +3
    Good comment!
  • chaoski... Lee The... 2010/02/23 09:49:29
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    Thank you
  • patti chaoski... 2010/02/22 06:29:59
    patti
    +2
    Thank you for posting this, its a great comment..
  • chaoski... patti 2010/02/23 09:50:13
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    Thank you m'lady :P
  • patti chaoski... 2010/02/23 14:37:36
  • chaoski... patti 2010/02/24 06:35:26
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    Lol, awwww how cute
  • AL 2010/02/21 06:30:07
    AL
    +2
    I don't think the (equal) rights for ALL of Gods people ever came to pass myself. I truely believe the rights for some minorty groups have indeed over shadowed the equal rights Rev.King always wanted for all of man kind!
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2010/02/21 05:47:26
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +2
    Excellent Marie! excellent marie
  • Brandon 2010/02/21 04:35:33
    Brandon
    +1
    Martin Luther King was a success but the people now are quick to yell racism on any situation whether it merits it or not.
  • Dude 2010/02/21 04:03:49
    Dude
    +2
    The work of Dr. King cannot be undone by the efforts of Rev. Jackson, Rev. Sharpton, Rev. Wright, barak hussein obama and others. He was a great man who continuously worked for the good of others. The rest of these always work to keep people down so they can profit by people's misfortunes.
  • Smokey 2010/02/21 02:55:38
    Smokey
  • Morning... Smokey 2010/02/21 03:01:37
    Morningstar
    +2
    haha, if bush is in a gang i'd ate to see the rest of it.

Check out G.W. trying to be cool:
    haha bush gang ate rest check cool
  • Marie/M... Smokey 2010/02/21 03:19:49
  • plowboy 2010/02/21 02:31:25 (edited)
    plowboy
    +3
    The younger generations don't have a clue what racism is or was.

Because they have never had to sit in the back of the bus, or make sure they went to the right restroom.

younger generations clue racism bus restroom younger generations clue racism bus restroom
  • chaoski... plowboy 2010/02/21 07:41:39
    chaoskitty123
    +3
    And they don't need to know because for over fifty years all it's done is teach them pain and hate for a past that cannot be undone. They should not forget their past... but Kings dream was not for the past but for the future and it was for all of us not just some of us. I don't need to relive my mother being made to work in a field because her parents were dirt farmers or my father being beaten in a coal mine when he was a child where many of his cousins died... I just need to know it happened and while I feel their pain, I don't live with it every day because it didn't happen to me just as sitting at the back of the bus, segregation and lynchings aren't happening to the present generation of young black people. We should be praying for small miracles that they didn't have to live through these things... not lamenting that they don't know what it was like so we keep the pain alive so they carry it into the future so that a multi billionaire who has everything she could ever want still feels the pain of a past reaching out from the grave grasping at her as it does all black Americans. Never forget the past or you will be damned to repeat it... but never live the past as if it is the present because then you will have no future as a great man once dreamed for all Americans.
  • Marie/M... chaoski... 2010/02/21 17:23:33
  • chaoski... Marie/M... 2010/02/23 10:39:24
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    Good words to live by and they tend to be the basic message I use when I talk about issues concerning race when I am addressing people who want to learn what's wrong in this country... I have harsher words for people who want to attack and divide because they need to be confronted. They are the ones who have caused so many to forget the wisdom of the past because they only address the pain... but the dead no longer feel any pain and the living do not remember what the dead carried with them to their graves. We know what we are told, we know what we read and what we see. We remember what happened to us... but those memories are ours alone. Passing them on as pain becomes a self renewing curse upon each new generation who has their future stolen from them by old men filled with hate until one day no one even remembers why they feel so much hate in their minds nor where the pain comes from that consumes their hearts.
  • Marie/M... chaoski... 2010/02/23 16:56:19
  • chaoski... Marie/M... 2010/02/24 07:07:35
    chaoskitty123
    Thanks. I live in Alabama so I do know a lot about King, Wallace and so on. I also deeply dislike the stereotype of people in the South because racist problems are far greater outside of this region now (other than Florida lol) in regards to blacks and whites. You see interracial couples all over the place and while there is racism here, a lot of what's said about Alabama comes from over fifty years ago which is blatantly untrue today and a stereotype. A lot of the people who live here aren't even from here but moved here since the 60's just as a lot of people who lived here at that time moved out of state. Yet some people still only see this state as the old segregationist state of George Wallace and because even many of the transplants here developed a love for Dixie, the rebel flag and so forth... we come under attack anytime a racist issue makes headlines even when it happens in places like California at times just to show you how deep the stereotype goes.

I started school in 1974 and had black teachers, black friends and never thought anything was wrong because I saw black people no different than blond white people or white people with red hair and freckles all over their body. My mother at worst called black people colored on occasion or black just when she was trying to...

I started school in 1974 and had black teachers, black friends and never thought anything was wrong because I saw black people no different than blond white people or white people with red hair and freckles all over their body. My mother at worst called black people colored on occasion or black just when she was trying to point out a friend or something because it made it easier to point them out to me no different than pointing out a blond haired woman when everyone else had darker hair color. I learned about racism from what we were taught about it in school and that's when we began to see one another as different as white people were all the same regardless of our differences and black people were all the same regardless of their differences.

Can you imagine that? The segregationist South forced to desegregate and the job was done so well children in school had to actually be taught about racism as part of our studies and that's when we began to see one another differently?

Yet in the same year I first went to school, they were fighting in the streets trying to desegregate schools in Boston when leaders in Massachusetts voted to desegregate the South but tried to stop it from happening in their own state.

I tend to look a bit deeper and try to see the bigger picture and the picture I hope to one day see completed on the issue of racism is all Americans standing together having forgotten racism instead of forgetting the dream of a great mans dream who I know would shed tears of sorrow if he could see us now.
  • lorraine chaoski... 2010/02/21 18:26:11
    lorraine
    +2
    Incredible response. Very, very well stated. Are these your words? "Never forget the past or you will be damned to repeat it... but never live the past as if it is the present because then you will have no future as a great man once dreamed for all Americans"?
  • chaoski... lorraine 2010/02/23 10:19:07
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    They are words I have learned as all wisdom is learned and the way I have used them is my own to show what I have learned from them and what I hope others can learn by my saying them. You won't find them expressed the same way by anyone but many wise people have spoken these words in their own way just as you may one day if you believe they are true... that's how wisdom is learned and passed on as wisdom does not belong to one but to all. Research men like King and you will find these words there as well because he's one of the people I learned them from.

Anyone can learn just as anyone can forget the wisdom once given to them if they allow it to be taken. Strange thing is when I get a compliment when I say something people view as wise... I feel wiser so maybe we should all seek more wisdom and we'll all feel wiser?
  • Fear 2010/02/21 02:17:43
    Fear
    +1
    No I don't think most people today know what real racism is.
  • Mike 2010/02/21 02:16:23 (edited)
    +4
    I admire MLK but his message has been taken over and subverted by his own people. The supposed civil rights leaders like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpeton has bastardized his message to gain personal power and wealth for themselves by further oppressing their own people.
  • Marie/M... Mike 2010/02/21 03:21:33
  • Mike Marie/M... 2010/02/21 14:12:37
    +1
    Thanks.
  • mowerman-back to bust libs 2010/02/21 01:35:53
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +2
    At the time and for a few years after it was not in vane, but looking at today it seems to be now.
  • jacose 2010/02/21 01:21:26
    jacose
    +1
    of course...he didn't represent the majority of black people for one...he dreamed of there being more opportunity available for the black person and they have it...they don't think they do because they don't get the first job they apply for (well neither do i) and complain and say it's because they're black...i'm not racist...but i have the balls to say what the truth is...why don't they give us native americans a month while they're at it...they only took our land and brought the blacks with them
  • GINGERBREAD 2010/02/21 01:17:10
    GINGERBREAD
    +1
    The death of MLK opened the door for all his immediate followers te realise that there is money to be made in continuing the racial strife. These "so called" black leaders that cropped after the death of MLK are profitting greatly, by prostituting the dreams of MLK. They all, all of them, became "race pimps", all for the money.
  • mandinka 2010/02/21 01:08:57
    mandinka
    it was a waste of time king was after tail and that was the only reason he did this. He didn't dress as sharp as he needed to be a pimp so preacher was the only avenue open to him
  • Marie/M... mandinka 2010/02/21 01:10:08
  • mandinka Marie/M... 2010/02/21 01:18:36
    mandinka
    +1
    you have a problem with the truth and facts??
  • Marie/M... mandinka 2010/02/21 01:28:06
  • Gun665 Marie/M... 2010/02/21 15:03:27
  • Gun665 mandinka 2010/02/21 15:04:19
  • keeper 2010/02/21 01:06:52
    keeper
    +4
    Some people want to use the race card for their own agendas, and O is one of these people.
  • realist... keeper 2010/02/21 02:18:32
    realistic one
    Marie you must have me blocked. I had a nice response all typed out. I made the mistake of not putting it on Micro Soft word first. All my thoughtful comment was lost as it showed you had me blocked and could not be posted. I won't try again.
  • Marie/M... realist... 2010/02/21 03:22:22
  • realist... Marie/M... 2010/02/21 07:33:12
    realistic one
    Sorry! So page can't be displayed isn't the same as being blocked I guess. Computer glitch I guess. I didn't know what happened. Thanks!

2014/10/23 02:41:26