Was the Vietnam war worth it?

FUS RO DAH! 2011/11/12 04:55:05
Related Topics: War

• Stacy Martin 2011/11/15 22:01:47
    Stacy Martin
    No.
  • James Anthony 2011/11/15 08:47:05
    James Anthony
    Too complex a subject to be answered by one question. Was it worth it to whom? vet
  • Joe 2011/11/12 23:57:55
    Joe
    +1
    I was a kid then, but my dad served...and I respect him for it
  • Fannie 2011/11/12 16:01:26
    Fannie
    I don't really think any war is worth much.
  • RJ~PWCM~JLA 2011/11/12 13:55:14
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    It's an interesting question, but we don't know what would have happened if it wasn't fought. Since we have no alternative outcome to compare to, we can't objectively say whether it was "worth" it.

Would Soviet communism have collapsed in the 90's if we had never fought the Vietnam war?

Or would the communist takeover of South Vietnam in the mid-sixties, something which would surely have happened without the US opposing it, have given such momentum to the communists that the "domino theory" would have come to pass, and all of southeast Asia go down to communism?

And if that had happened, would that somehow have strengthened or otherwise affected Soviet communism, and prevent it from collapsing?

And what effect would that have had on communist China? Would it somehow have prevented the free market reforms that they instituted in the 90's as well?

Interesting questions. But the answers are pure speculation.
  • OzSin 2011/11/12 13:00:51
    OzSin
    This is what they will be saying about Afghanistan in 10 yrs time (if they are out of there by then that is)
  • johnnie.prewett 2011/11/12 11:35:14
    johnnie.prewett
    No. "Cardinal Spellman's war" was a disaster for America.
  • Moose 2011/11/12 10:21:27
  • VICTORIA 2011/11/12 08:31:27
    VICTORIA
    +1
    No. Worth it for what purpose?
  • historian 2011/11/12 06:56:30
  • wwe.sodahead.com/RPG2011 2011/11/12 05:31:52
    wwe.sodahead.com/RPG2011
    +2
    There are almost 60,000 names on that wall. How many injured? I doubt anyone knows. By the time you added up Post trauma stress and Agent Orange to the combat and noncombat injuries Í don't think so.
  • Reichstolz 2011/11/12 05:11:14
    Reichstolz
    YES
  • wwe.sod... Reichstolz 2011/11/12 05:35:35
    wwe.sodahead.com/RPG2011
    +1
    You say yes. May I ask if you were old enough to serve, be drafted maybe during that time?
  • Moose wwe.sod... 2011/11/12 10:23:29
  • wwe.sod... Moose 2011/11/12 13:20:11
    wwe.sodahead.com/RPG2011
    +1
    Yeah Moose I know . I checked before I posted. my comment . Thats why its specific . I have a feeling you I are like minded?
  • Moose wwe.sod... 2011/11/12 18:09:45
  • Reichstolz Moose 2011/11/12 22:13:54
    Reichstolz
    I buried 3 uncles and an aunt as a result of that war. That was after having every one of them make it home, but not in any shape to survive. My father suffered with bouts of insomnia(sometimes lasting months).
  • Moose Reichstolz 2011/11/15 08:40:06
  • Reichstolz wwe.sod... 2011/11/12 16:04:22
    Reichstolz
    Not old enough to serve at the time. My father served in that war.
  • Moose Reichstolz 2011/11/12 10:22:02
  • Reichstolz Moose 2011/11/12 16:06:02
    Reichstolz
    The major accomplishment was keeping a portion of the country an ally. Which in the not too distant future we are going to need. The cost was higher than needed due to the weakness of the American people not willing to utilize all our capabilities.
  • Moose Reichstolz 2011/11/12 18:14:21
  • Reichstolz Moose 2011/11/12 22:09:38
    Reichstolz
    I am not mistaken in my assumption we have an ally in Vietnam.
  • Rave Reichstolz 2011/11/12 17:10:40
    Rave
    All those men and women and children dead though, not to mention how many people lost their limbs and developed drug addictions and how the war divided the whole country, just because of a sudden fear of communism and need to prove capitalism as a superior power, yet Vietnam fell to communism and the US failed to stop it as they had planned to, it took up lots of lives, resources and money, are you really sure it was worth it for some petty thing which just might be of some use in the future?
  • Reichstolz Rave 2011/11/12 22:10:28
    Reichstolz
    There is no sudden fear of communism, it is the biggest threat to our way of life.
  • Rave Reichstolz 2011/11/12 23:34:28
    Rave
    Communism all the way in Vietnam, across the world, a nation that is not America nor had anything to do with America was a threat to the way of the average American's life?

Just because someone doesn't agree with someone else's way of life or political system, does not mean you should send innocent men to die for it and call it "dying for freedom" which it obviously was not... and cause the destruction of innocent men, women and children. Remember that a large part of Vietnam really wanted communism, as they thought communism was the only way they would gain independence from the years they had been pushed around by colonialism and that indeed did turn out to be partly true too.
  • Reichstolz Rave 2011/11/13 01:43:02
    Reichstolz
    The only way to defend "our way" of life is to crush that which threatens it. Learn history, it is the way it has always been done.
  • Rave Reichstolz 2011/11/13 16:12:22
    Rave
    I've majored in modern political history of the late 19th and early 20th century.

My point is though, Vietnam's want for communism did not interfere with the US or the American way of life.

And still, majority of historians cannot name one beneficial value that came out of the Vietnam war that was consistently worth the sacrifice and the losses it brought to the US and to Vietnam. The Vietnam war happened because of the cold war, and what was the cold war? No one really knows, it was a ongoing tension of paranoia and dark thoughts, and the idea to invade a random Asian country and stop them from developing communism was all part of the cold war insanity that was going on. It didn't truly benefit anyone, except the French maybe, but since Vietnam was lost, even the French didn't benefit from it.

As Hunter S. Thompson put it "We are not at war, we are having a nervous breakdown". That in my opinion pretty much sums up most the tension that took place during the cold war.
  • Reichstolz Rave 2011/11/13 17:03:00
    Reichstolz
    Good for your major, while a majority of historians have never traveled to the countries they study I would contend their lack of conclusions are par for the course. Those of us who have spoken to the people in Vietnam, Korea, China, and even North Korea, will disagree with your assessment everyday of the week. It is not human nature to accept a directed life.
  • Rave Reichstolz 2011/11/14 23:11:16
    Rave
    Funny that you're telling me about the people in that part of Asia, considering I lived most my life in China, I was born in Japan, have traveled to Vietnam countless times and had many Vietnamese friends, I've never been to North Korea but my father did indeed get the chance to go there too.

I do know the local points of view as well as the historical ones, there are many arguments when it comes to history as we all know and we can debate all sides of these events, but most who don't have some personal bias to support the Vietnam conflict (Which many veterans and people with family in the war obviously do, especially if their loved ones got injured or died in the war) will agree that the Vietnam war in particular was a mistake due to the fact that it did not achieve it's main goal and it caused one of the biggest divisions of the US population in modern history (The rate of anti-war liberals and anti-government folks grew massively) as well as it was economically unwise and many, many lives were lost due to it.
  • Reichstolz Rave 2011/11/15 06:12:40
    Reichstolz
    And the sentiment of the people I met in Vietnam was one of excitement to live free, that is where I gain my assessment of we will find allies in that nation if needed.

2014/10/23 05:26:46