Was James Buchanan our first gay President?

Gramma Lil 2008/02/19 00:32:41
Particularly when homosexuality is as American as apple pie. The 15th president of the United States, James Buchanan, almost certainly was gay. Finally, prize-winning historian James W. Loewen, author of "Lies My Teacher Told Me," has outed President James Buchanan, who served as chief executive during tumultuous events on the eve of the Civil War, and had more pre-White House domestic and international expertise than all of the current crop of presidential wannabes put together. In Prof. Loewen's newest book, "Lies Across America: What Our Historic Sites Get Wrong," the scholar asserts that Buchanan's long-time living companion, William Rufus King, was referred to as "Aunt Fancy" by that era's Beltway crowd. Apparently, Buchanan's sexual orientation was widely rumored around Washington, to the point that King was called "Mrs. Buchanan."

President James Buchanan was, as they say, a life-long bachelor. That, of course, is code. As usual, the truth is cloaked in historical distortion. You must read between the lines, and connect the dots. "As a young man," writes "Historic Traveler's" Lisa Manhart, Buchanan "committed an unspecified indiscretion that angered his intended bride, and she broke off their engagement. When she died of an illness a few months later, her family forbade him to attend her funeral. Buchanan was devastated, and he disappeared for a time. In the absence of a Mrs. Buchanan, his niece Harriet Lane served as his hostess ... often entertaining guests by playing the piano. When Buchanan moved into the White House as president in 1857, she assumed the social duties of first lady."

While Secretary of State in 1848, James Buchanan had purchased Wheatland, his 22-acre country estate in Lancaster, Penn., attracted to the "privacy, quiet, and beauty of its rural beauty," Manhart notes, and there, he would eventually lead "the life of a country gentleman." The Pennsylvania native was born April 23, 1791, second of 11 children. After graduating from Dickinson College in Carlisle at age 18, Buchanan studied law in Lancaster, and plunged into local politics. Voters elected him state representative in 1814, and he served two terms in the new capital of Harrisburg. Buchanan took his next step up the political ladder in 1820 when he was elected to the first of four terms in the House of Representatives as a Federalist and then, as the Federalist party disintegrated, a fifth term as a Democrat in 1828. President Andrew Jackson appointed him as minister to Russia, where he served in 1832 and 1833. In December of 1833 he was elected to the Senate, where he served until he was appointed Secretary of State under President James K. Polk in 1845.

• Gramma Lil 2008/02/19 00:34:52
    Gramma Lil
    +14
    I think that is awesome that we had our first gay president before we had a black or a women in the White House. I just saw this subject while I was watching the Presidents on the History Channel!

• VICARIOPUSDAY 2012/07/15 00:21:20
    VICARIOPUSDAY
    HOMOSEXUALS were not called GAYS. They were called QUEERS.
  • david.r... VICARIO... 2013/08/03 01:19:13
    david.repischak
    +3
    Actually, there wasn't really a name for that "forbidden" love. Not even Queer had been tossed about. Walt Whitman hadn't pulled the covers back yet.
  • ConnieEl56 2012/06/04 16:37:40
    ConnieEl56
    He was not gay. He lost the love of his life and chose to remain single which does not put a person in gay statis. He was a God fearing family man. My grandmother's cousin.
  • Dane ConnieEl56 2013/05/02 04:48:21
    Dane
    A "God fearing man" and your "grandmother's cousin" means nothing in the case of this.
    And just because he "lost the love of his life and chose to remain single," the latter being of your opinion, doesn't mean that he wasn't gay.
  • david.r... ConnieEl56 2013/08/03 01:21:26
    david.repischak
    +2
    That's right honey, and I'm 50 and just going thru a phase.
  • NyBob85 2012/04/19 20:11:56
    NyBob85
    Read his private correspondence with William Rufus King. Even by 1850s dandy standards it's pretty gay.
  • Brent 2011/12/31 19:18:23
    Brent
    President James Buchanan gay? He was also the president that sent federal troops to put down an a supposed insurrection in Utah. There was no insurrection in Utah but on the way they had to stop the trouble in the "bleeding Kansas" conflict. Seems the gays and Mormons have a longer history then first thought.
  • tony 2011/08/25 06:12:17
    tony
    was he the first gay president? Or was he the first OPENLY gay president you don't who is or who was in the closet
  • James 2011/07/24 13:20:55
    James
    +1
    There is no such thing as a heterosexual or a homosexual. Nearly all humans are sexual. Who they choose to have sexual congress with is merely a matter of opportunity, social/cultural pressure,and preference. I see no direct empirical evidence that Buchanan engaged in homosexual behavior but I don't believe for a moment that he remained celibate his entire adult life. Based on existing evidence I would speculate he may have fully embraced the philosophy that "variety is the spice of life".
  • 1234 James 2011/08/01 23:02:16
  • tony James 2011/08/25 06:14:14
    tony
    +3
    Ugh I'm gay there's a such thing as homosexuality trust me I would know
  • IrishPo... James 2011/10/04 22:06:19
    IrishPolishLass
    +4
    I'm lesbian, and yes, it is possible to be gay. It's in the brain. :)
  • Edmund ... James 2012/01/31 00:17:03
  • musicla... James 2012/05/14 16:57:27
    musiclady80
    +4
    hetero means opposite and homo means same. Therefore there is such thing because heterosexuals take a liking to the opposite sex (gender) and homosexuals take a liking to the same sex (gender).
  • Dawn Jacquelyn 2011/07/04 04:19:18
    Dawn Jacquelyn
    +3
    I couldn't care less about another person's sexual orientation. None of my business - I just wish a lot of other people would realize that.

By the way, I'd like to add that homosexuality is not just as American as apple pie. It has nothing to do with a country - it's worldwide and a FACT OF LIFE.

Equal rights for all!
  • Ashley Vogt 2011/06/26 21:08:56
    Ashley Vogt
    +2
    I don't really care one way or the other if he was or wasn't. However technically if you really think about it were all gay since we were ALL GIRLS FIRST I know that sticks in someones craw so I will just wait for the ignorance to continue the whole damn gay not gay sin not a sin is just crap how does this enrich anyone's life if you aren't gay wow then don't be gay don't push me to be straight Ive been there and done that and it wasn't for me it doesn't make me a bad person I am a very attentive and excellent mother and according to my eight year old my PARTNER is a far better "FATHER" then her real one we love each other and we are a very "NORMAL" and very real FAMILY. I would rather be LOVED as the partner of a homosexual woman than ABUSED as the wife of a straight man. LOVE is LOVE no matter who or where it comes from.
  • charliev Ashley ... 2011/07/05 02:15:47
    charliev
    +2
    your hott but being openly gay in front of children is very damaging
  • Ashley ... charliev 2011/07/14 16:56:56
    Ashley Vogt
    +2
    Its more damaging to show them they need to pretend to be someone they are not to appease the opinions of others
  • 1234 Ashley ... 2011/08/01 23:03:35
    1234
    +3
    It's okay to be gay in front of children, it's another to wear a rainbow strap-on in front of them and to scream "my ass is hungry".
  • ArtGuyNYC 1234 2011/08/10 03:24:24
    ArtGuyNYC
    +2
    Who does that? Besides Peter Labarbera?
  • KenShep... 1234 2012/08/28 20:49:36
    KenShepherd1
    +1
    WHAT A FOOL YOU ARE-MOST MEN DO NOT "FLAME" GAYNESS-THAT IS WHAT THE MEDIA WANTS YOU TO BELIEVE-WTF! TWO MEN IN A COMMITED RELATIONSHIP RAISING CHILDREN DO NOT BEHAVE IN A OUTLANDISH FLAMING MANNER-NOT IN MY EXPERIENCE-USUALLT "FLAMERS" ARE LIFETIME PLAYERS WHO NEVER SETTLE DOWN
  • Ruadon charliev 2011/10/09 02:21:20
    Ruadon
    +4
    you sir are an idiot, it would be in everyone's best interests if you would hold your stupidity to yourself
  • Ashley ... Ruadon 2011/10/16 14:29:35
    Ashley Vogt
    +1
    Be great if they all would. :)
  • Ruadon Ashley ... 2011/10/16 21:43:30
    Ruadon
    Dream big :)
  • markportd charliev 2011/10/28 01:38:01
    markportd
    +2
    ummm Really Charliev ? let me guess? your Dad is gay and it scared you for life? Seriously? if that is the case I'm sorry.. However to your comment, BULL CRAP... Children know LOVE and if love is in the home they will do well.. Better than in a dysfunctional hetro home, trust me..
  • Janet M... charliev 2012/03/09 07:12:48
    Janet Miller-Mullins
    +3
    Excuse me, but no. I am a heterosexual woman who was raised by an unhappy heterosexual couple. I would have preferred one of my gay friend couples to raise me in the loving environment they raise their children in than in what I grew up with. The only people who cause it to be damaging to the children are uninformed people like yourself who make them feel like they should be ashamed when they should NOT!
  • KenShep... charliev 2012/08/28 20:47:44
    KenShepherd1
    +1
    YOU ARE AN IDIOT-KIDS ARE EXPOSED TO GAY LIFE EVERYWHERE, SCHOOL, NEIGHBORHOODS, TV! ITS HOW YOU CHOOSE TO RAISE YOUR KIDS THAT MATTERS-NO CHILD IS BORN WITH HATE OR BIGOTRY-IT IS TAUGHT AND LEARNED. IF PARENTS, MAN/WOMAN OR TWO OF SAME SEX TEACH THEIR KIDS THAT HATE IS NOT TOLERATED, THEN THEY MOST LIKELY WILL NOT HATE UNLESS THEY CAVE TO PEER PRESSURE TO DO SO
  • doctor Ashley ... 2012/05/20 13:18:15
    doctor
    +3
    it depends on the kind of love.. what love you talking about??!!! when your sister love you is that means to you she wanna to .......you.!!!!!!
  • edward 2011/05/04 17:36:01
    edward
    James Buchanan was among the most inept, ill-suited presidents ever. He is ranked in the bottom 3-5 in almost every historical survey of presidents conducted. So yes, he must have been gay.
  • ArtGuyNYC edward 2011/08/10 03:24:51
    ArtGuyNYC
    +3
    Gee, Bush and Nixon were both straight...
  • IrishPo... edward 2011/10/04 22:08:22
    IrishPolishLass
    +3
    That is no way to base an opinion on sexuality and I cannot even begin to imagine what life must be like inside your head.
  • Kara Ta... edward 2011/10/27 03:57:47
  • david.r... Kara Ta... 2013/08/03 01:35:03
    david.repischak
    +3
    Not to mention that Lincoln SURELY had a hardon for him (you know Lincoln was Gay/Bi right)?
  • KenShep... edward 2012/08/28 20:51:16
    KenShepherd1
    +1
    BEING GAY DOESNT MAKE SOMEONE AN IDIOT-BUT YOUR COMMENT CLARIFIES YOUR STANCE ON VACUOUS BRAIN ACTIVITY
  • David A. 2011/04/19 12:14:50
    David A.
    +1
    The answer to this question depends on what the meaning of gay is. Is someone gay who has a homosexual experience yet prefers women? Is someone only gay if he never marries? The answer to these questions would inform us whether to label any of our earlier presidents as gay. I think Americans are obsessed about this question. For some this obsession with ascertaining everyone's sexuality might be about the titillation of gossip. For others it may be fueled by fear because their religious beliefs have programmed many about the evils of homosexuality that people are afraid they might "catch" it so they want to know who is "contagious" so they know who to shun/avoid.
  • KenShep... David A. 2012/08/28 20:51:58
    KenShepherd1
    +3
    LABELS OR FOR FOOD AN CLOTHES-NOT HUMANS
  • ETHAN3232 2011/03/19 01:48:07
    ETHAN3232
    sssssssssshhhhhhiiiittttt
  • fff23f2 2011/03/14 18:33:41
  • steve maroon 2011/02/21 22:06:55
    steve maroon
    +1
    Deciding that someone is gay is not "a good thing or a bad thing" not a "right or a wrong". It is simply a fact. It is equivalent to saying a left hander can be President. All left handed people should take pride in their left handed president. To them, it may be meaningful. Same with Gay people. To think that someone is gay is not a put down. Grow up. If you think it is, it just shows us how truly ignorant you are. (FYI- look up the word ignorant. It doesn't mean you're stupid) -and btw, ignorant is not a judgement call, it's also a fact. Steve M, Denver, CO
  • Dawn Ja... steve m... 2011/07/05 23:28:35
    Dawn Jacquelyn
    +2
    Homophobes should bear in mind that they could have a gay child or grandchild. I have neither, but if I did I would love the child every bit as much as I love my straight son :)

2014/04/17 09:09:08