Was Jacqueline Kennedy Power Hungry?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/02/25 02:58:28
Related Topics: American
Yes she was
No I don't think so
Listen, I think everyone will agree that Jackie Kennedy had style, grace, charm, and class. She is an american dream, the american version of camelot, but was she power hungry. She was married to the powerful Kennedys then married yet another wealthy powerful man. Was she power hungry?

• Exotik Madchen 2011/04/09 23:33:23 (edited)
    No I don't think so
    Exotik Madchen
    Marilyn Monroe was the power-hungry one... and I'm bringing her up cuz if you don't know, there were heavy rumors about her going after and sleeping with Jackie's first husband JFK. Jackie WAS powerful, she didn't need to hunger for it. And as someone else said, her husband, while a great President, was woman-hungry, and cheaters always want some kind of power.
  • Matt M 2011/02/26 22:37:04
    Yes she was
    Matt  M
    +1
    Honestly don't have enough knowledge for a good opinion here. The only thing I found odd about her and frankly not very admirable was the onasis marriage. The common line on that was, "it was the only option she had!"

Really?

Jacqueline Kennedy would have starved on the street unless she prostituted herself? sure, sure, whatever, her choice.
  • Assassi... Matt M 2011/02/26 23:00:25
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    Jackie was quite wealthy even BEFORE JFK.
  • DOCTOR JOE 2011/02/25 17:51:38
    No I don't think so
    DOCTOR JOE
    +2
    Pure beauty and class. Her husband was women hungry. Power comes with money and /or beauty. I loved the class she put in the White House. Pure royality of americana History forever
  • Sissy 2011/02/25 13:00:44
    No I don't think so
    Sissy
    +2
    While I believe that Jackie "enjoyed" the perks that big money brought, (in both marriages), she would have preferred to enjoy all those benefits without the constant and never-ending spotlight she was in from 1960 when she went to the White House, to the day of her death. After Robert Kennedy's assassination, she was almost hysterical in wanting to flee with her children to somewhere safe and Onassis afforded her that.

I was just a teenager when she became First Lady and like millions throughout the world, I couldn't get enough of her. Hair do's, box suits, pill-box hats were a must in most every woman's closet.
  • miller51550 2011/02/25 12:31:04
    No I don't think so
    miller51550
    +2
    There has been a lot of discussion on here and other blogs, discussion boards about Michelle OBAMA and how everyone is trating her negatively.

Now we have this quesiton about Jackie Kennedy.

I was a kid when JFK and her occupied the White House..and I only had appreciation for her because of her Class and her actions during the death of her Husband.

I think she was a grand lady of style and nothing like the current Woman in the White House.

Michelle Obama is more concerned ABOUT POWER than FIRST LADY in the current History of the united States EXCEPT Hillary Clinton.

Her entire existence as Frist Lady is GIVING BACK to the Black Community. Before anyone says this is racist..

Take a Moment and see if her Princeton Thesis is still online. That was basically WHAT her Thesis was about.

From some of her comments as Princeton she may have not been as 'smart' as her peers..

Her actions since being in the White House support that contention.

Jackie Kennedy was more regal, had more class than the current first lady. a ecall
  • Assassi... miller5... 2011/02/25 16:16:17
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    This was about Jackie Kennedy not Michelle Obama
  • miller5... Assassi... 2011/02/25 17:03:17
    miller51550
    +1
    Sorry..

MO is always being compared to Jackie and Princess Diane..

Jackie was a Lady.. Michelle is NOT> ie
  • Assassi... miller5... 2011/02/25 17:06:20
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    I disagree, I think Michelle is a lady whether you like her or not. I did not care for Nancy Reagan, and I was still polite enough to respect her as our first lady. Conservatives: the party of bad manners.
  • miller5... Assassi... 2011/02/25 17:29:03
    miller51550
    Respect is EARNED and not handed out lightly.

Not a Conservative and HAVE NEVER had a need to discuss any First Lady until this one.
  • Assassi... miller5... 2011/02/25 17:38:09
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    Sure, I remember people making fun of the Hillary headband....or weren't you there for that. I think respect for whomever is our leader should be given. I intensely dislike George W. Bush, and hated most of his policies, and what he stood for. He was accused of rape while in office, and entered a war that I did not agree with. However I still referred to him at all times as either Mr. Bush or George W. Bush, and I left First Lady Laura alone. I guess its just a difference in upbringing.
  • Carolin... miller5... 2011/02/25 18:10:48
    Caroline - fan of Audubon
    There you go again with class distinction.
  • Carolin... miller5... 2011/02/25 17:05:36
    Caroline - fan of Audubon
    Because someone is concerned for their own race doesn't mean they are not concerned about other ethnic groups. We all come from one. Michelle Obama saw how those of her kind were in need of help. Look at the poverty level amongst the black community as well as other minority groups which does not exclude whites. I think she was mostly concerned about the poor of America and wanted to make a difference for them. Many of these are the working poor without medical insurance. Approximately 20% or one in five Americans of all ethnic groups live below the poverty line and roughly 40% of Americans fall below that level at some point within a 10-year time span, not to mention the United States has some of the highest relative poverty rates among industrialized countries. We can do better than this!

What does being more regal mean; being born into a family that has class distinction and wealth? One of my pet peeves is placing someone onto a pedestal as if they are better because of the wealth or educational background they are born into. Michelle is to be admired because she was born into a middle to lower class family, who excelled in her education to get herself into Princeton. It takes a humble person to admit she was not as 'smart' as their peers, unlike some who like to brag they are better. Mrs Obama's actions say a lot for herself.
  • miller5... Carolin... 2011/02/25 17:34:43
    miller51550
    You and I will never agree on anything concerning the Obama's.

I suspect that she was a product of Affirmative Action at both Princeton and Harvard. I have never really researched her background other than to READ her Thesis while at Princeton.

BUT I will do so.

How she treated the POOR in Chicago by booting them out of the Emergency Room of Chicago Hospital and sending them to Clinics was a little to much for me to take.

You may want to take a look at why she turned her license to practice law one step ahead of the Ethics committee.
  • Assassi... miller5... 2011/02/25 17:39:47
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    Emergency rooms are for guess....I will give you three guesses. EMERGENCIES, not colds, not flu, not vomiting. They are for broken bones, heart attacks, strokes, life threatening fevers, and profuse bleeding or things that need stitches. The misuse of them drives up healthcare costs for all of us.
  • Carolin... miller5... 2011/02/25 18:08:49 (edited)
    Caroline - fan of Audubon
    I am sure we will not agree on everything about the First family, however I do see the positive and the negative in people, but prefer to concentrate on the good I see in them. When I hear of unsubstantiated rumors, including the license one, I don't take that at face value and then pass judgment, instead I seek to get a fuller picture.
    I stand with the poster below on why Michelle encouraged the use of clinics rather than an unnecessary visit to the ER.
  • mrdog 2011/02/25 11:13:38
    No I don't think so
    mrdog
    +1
    Gal just had a special appeal to some men...not me... she seem to be okay gal in my book.... RIP....bark
  • gracious43 2011/02/25 10:19:11
    No I don't think so
    gracious43
    +2
    I think that just like all women, she was looking for the best husband to take care of her. She just was a lousy picker, because neither one of her husbands treated her very gently.
  • Assassi... gracious43 2011/02/25 16:16:44
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    She already had money.
  • gracious43 Assassi... 2011/02/25 23:43:50
    gracious43
    I never said she wanted money. She simply gravitated to men that she felt were strong enough to take care of her, who turned out to be... not so much.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2011/02/25 07:44:19
    Yes she was
    themadhare ~IJM
    +2
    I think it was in her nature. she wasn't pathological about it
  • Tudie BN 2011/02/25 07:02:43
    No I don't think so
    Tudie BN
    +3
    I don't think so at all !
  • Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2011/02/25 05:21:57
    No I don't think so
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +4
    I think she associated with wealthy people and was accustomed to that lifestyle.
  • Patriot American Symbol Man 2011/02/25 04:40:07
    No I don't think so
    Patriot American Symbol Man
    +4
    She certainly wanted *security* for herself and her children; if she had been truly "power hungry," she wouldn't have spent her later career as a copy editor.
  • Assassi... Patriot... 2011/02/25 16:17:23
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    She had financial security before she even married kennedy
  • Patriot... Assassi... 2011/02/25 16:41:29
    Patriot American Symbol Man
    I was thinking more about her second marriage. Yeah, she had it then too, but he was the ultimate security.
  • kitkat42 2011/02/25 04:14:45
    No I don't think so
    kitkat42
    +3
    No, I think she just attracted powerful people. She had a regal air, due to her upbringing, I'm sure.
  • Manwé 2011/02/25 03:28:23
    No I don't think so
    Manwé
    +3
    No, she just ran in the wealthy circles.
  • Mog of War 2011/02/25 03:26:31
    No I don't think so
    Mog of War
    +3
    I simply think she happened upon someone in the same class as her when she remarried. What few people realize, was she married beneath her class when she wed John.
  • Assassi... Mog of War 2011/02/25 03:28:33
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    I knew that...LOL thats why I keep saying it wasn't for money.
  • Mog of War Assassi... 2011/02/25 03:31:55
    Mog of War
    Well, if she WAS power hungy, it is less like a leech sucking on crocodile and more like a Megaladon eating a crocodile whole.
  • Assassi... Mog of War 2011/02/25 03:33:03
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    So true.
  • Caroline - fan of Audubon 2011/02/25 03:22:51
    No I don't think so
    Caroline - fan of Audubon
    +4
    She was probably enamored by Kennedy's charm, then fell head over heels for him. Initially she may also have been drawn to Onassis for his charm and intellect then married for the status and to continue her comfortable lifestyle.
  • Assassi... Carolin... 2011/02/25 03:26:14
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    Sounds reasonable, but she had money of her own, and John left her quite well off. She didnt need Onassis money.
  • Carolin... Assassi... 2011/02/25 03:47:07
    Caroline - fan of Audubon
    +2
    I think in that case she could have been lured to the greater prestige. Either way, I am sure she had deep feelings for both of her husbands.
  • Assassi... Carolin... 2011/02/25 03:51:09
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    OH yes I don't doubt that at all...I dont think she was a goldigger, or anything. I just think she was drawn to very powerful men.
  • Carabella 2011/02/25 03:16:39
    No I don't think so
    Carabella
    +4
    No. I think Jacqueline was looking for someone to take care of her but I also believe, because of her status and position, she needed someone of significance and stature. She was not one to look for power for herself but in the person she chose.
  • cmdrbnd007 2011/02/25 03:12:51
    Yes she was
    cmdrbnd007
    +2
    Of course she was ambitious. Why else would she have put up with JFK while he was cheating on her. I'm sure Onassis played the field too.
  • Carabella cmdrbnd007 2011/02/25 03:17:11
    Carabella
    +2
    It was less about power and more about stature.
  • cmdrbnd007 Carabella 2011/02/25 03:24:57
    cmdrbnd007
    +1
    That's probably true.

2014/09/02 07:25:24