Was HGTV Right in Cancelling 'Flip it Forward' Due to Conservative Views of the Show's Stars?

The Christian Post 2014/05/08 17:58:00
Christian viewers of the Home & Garden Television (HGTV) are now up in arms after the network announced Wednesday that they have "decided not to move forward" with a reality show called "Flip It Forward" starring conservative Christian twin brothers David and Jason Benham who are openly opposed to abortion, homosexuality and no-fault divorce.

The episodes of the show were expected to reflect the brothers' experience in flipping houses for profit and helping other families do the same "with a healthy dose of sibling rivalry between the brothers along the way," according to MSNBC.

HGTV made the announcement via social media just one day after Right Wing Watch highlighted their views in a report.

"The first and last thought on our minds as we begin and end each day is; have we shined Christ's light today? Our faith is the fundamental calling in our lives, and the centerpiece of who we are. As Christians we are called to love our fellow man. Anyone who suggests that we hate homosexuals or people of other faiths is either misinformed or lying," said the brothers.

"Over the last decade, we've sold thousands of homes with the guiding principle of producing value and breathing life into each family that has crossed our path, and we do not, nor will we ever discriminate against people who do not share our views," they explained.

"We were saddened to hear HGTV's decision. With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it," they ended.

Christian fans, however, have not taken HGTV's decision lightly.

Read More: http://www.christianpost.com/news/believers-rally-...

• Cipher_Oblivion 2014/05/30 21:45:50
    Cipher_Oblivion
    It's their network. They can air or not air whatever show they want. No network is obligated to air any show.
  • writeright4u 2014/05/22 18:29:57 (edited)
    writeright4u
    It's a dangerous and slippery slope if we become so PC oriented that people lose their rights to believe in anything other than what is considered acceptable to public opinion. (Example: Galileo was continuously being reamed for correctly believing the world was round and the sun was the center of our solar system.) Who gets to decide what is acceptable and what isn't? In my mind, they have the right to believe as they wish, just like LGTB Americans do. They weren't going to focus on those issues in their show, so it shouldn't have had anything to do with it. Yes, they needed to realize that LGTB viewers frequent HGTV, and shouldn't have been doing anything specifically to berate people with differing views. However, I don't think they were treated fairly either since their views were not going to be part of the show content. I could understand it more if they were going to use the show as a platform for activism, but they weren't. (And the Benhams are local to my area, so I know a LOT about this matter.)

It's no different than an actor not being chosen for a role simply because he is gay and proud of it. His beliefs are one thing that may offend other people. So what? Does it affect how he will do in his performance? Most likely not. Do we start hating on each other simply for...

It's no different than an actor not being chosen for a role simply because he is gay and proud of it. His beliefs are one thing that may offend other people. So what? Does it affect how he will do in his performance? Most likely not. Do we start hating on each other simply for our differing beliefs or lifestyles? NO! We should all be grown-ups and accept that we all believe differently. That's what makes America great. We are being continually sterilized against thinking any differently than anyone else. It isn't right to dictate to everyone simply because it's popular opinion. If people would start agreeing to disagree more, and let each other live our lives, then it would be a much better place to live. Everyone is being focused so diligently against each other for every little difference, that they are being divided. It needs to stop. Probably 85% of the people who would've watched "Flip it Forward" would have no clue about the Benhams' opinions, yet the media drudges up info, and even creates completely fabricated so-called 'facts', in order to destroy a show that has nothing to do with LGTB issues. If a Christian company had fired a gay guy for simply being gay and an activist, then the whole country would've been up in arms. It's a double standard.
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2014/05/19 09:18:28
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    HGTV will suffer the consequences.
  • Oldclaws 2014/05/16 23:55:20
    Not sure
    Oldclaws
    It's all about money
  • yabbadabbadoo 2014/05/16 21:39:27
    yabbadabbadoo
    well it is their network and their viewers spoke up about it so.....theres your free market

i wonder though what would happen when these two guys are going to have to fix up homes of gay couples....would they refuse or just go along with it with disgust on their faces ?
  • johnnyg 2014/05/15 17:58:33
    Not sure
    johnnyg
    What were the ratings?
  • writeri... johnnyg 2014/05/22 18:35:55
    writeright4u
    +3
    It hadn't even aired yet. See my comment above for more info.
  • johnnyg writeri... 2014/05/30 18:38:24
    johnnyg
    +1
    It should have aired to see what the ratings would be.
  • jsavik 2014/05/15 15:18:11
    Not sure
    jsavik
    +2
    Every network has to consider their target audience.

Since HGTV's audience is mostly gay men who spend their time installing track lighting and figuring out which wine goes with tofu, their decision was probably right for their network.
  • Foxhoun... jsavik 2014/05/16 00:15:37
  • Fidelito 2014/05/15 15:01:42
    Fidelito
    +1
    They have the right to cancel, they are trying to please a secular audience not a Christian one. Those sinners! Lol....
  • Lisa 2014/05/15 04:46:19
    Lisa
    +3
    Screw hgtv
  • Captamerica 2014/05/14 21:42:18
    Captamerica
    But it is a private corporation, and can do whatever it wants! Live with it!
  • Sadisticon 2014/05/14 18:12:25
    Not sure
    Sadisticon
    +1
    I did not understand the question for a long time. I figured if you hate gays and abortion and divorce that's pretty darn conservative; so Conservative's views would be in your favour. Please don't attempt to engage me with the whole "hate the gays" thing. I'm not one to return to a forum unless I get a lot of raves (naked whoring for raves - shameless!). So when I finally got around to reading the linked article (and giving my unwelcome two cents to that forum) I caught understanding - the brothers held conservative views! d'uh!!! Sometimes being a genius is only valuable if you speak the language.
  • MorbidC... Sadisticon 2014/05/15 05:03:10
    MorbidCynic
    +5
    Hating gays isn't conservative, liberals made that up.
  • Foxhoun... MorbidC... 2014/05/16 00:16:56
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    yeah, by not hating gays. lol
  • Zach055 2014/05/14 03:18:46
    Zach055
    +1
    Those guys look gay. BURN THEM!!!
  • Foxhoun... Zach055 2014/05/16 00:18:09
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    They are e-ville in the sight of the Lo-ward!
    mean old preacher
  • Walt 2014/05/14 02:18:26
    Walt
    +4
    It seems that Soviet-era Russia, (a.k.a. the "Iron Curtain") or Nazi-era Germany weren't the only countries in which citizens disagreed with the popular "party-line" at their own peril: 21st-Century America is also becoming such a state. The Gay Question is fast becoming the litmus test for societal acceptance. It is not always true that "2+2=4". Under enough public pressure, peer-pressure, party-line bullying, it could very easily equal 5. But what HGTV has done is blatantly deny freedom of speech in the public square (never mind freedom of opinion). Its' hypocrisy is also clearly evident as it doesn't even play by its' own rules. How would they react if the shoe were on the other foot? (If it were two gays debuting a show that got shut down by some other agency?) Clearly, it is not a question of either fairness or "openmindedness" but rather "which way the wind is blowing".
  • Ozzyboy 2014/05/14 02:00:42
    Ozzyboy
    +3
    Did it have the right? Yes, but was it right? I don't think so and I hope the Benham's go on th inspiration channel and do a home makeover show. I will be watching considerably less of HGTV and that is a shame.
  • William 2014/05/13 23:04:32
    William
    +5
    Americans who walk their own path and think there own thoughts that are not in accordance with the general population at large are doomed to destruction by all of them who do not agree with them. If you do not think like the socialist lemmings, you will be destroyed because you refuse to drink the kool-aid and champion the party rhetoric.
  • Brandon William 2014/05/14 21:41:20
  • Foxhoun... Brandon 2014/05/16 00:19:02
    Foxhound BN0
    May the Foil be with him. lol
  • William Brandon 2014/06/01 18:03:29 (edited)
    William
    Your tinfoil skullcap looks good on you.
  • Bronar 2014/05/13 18:49:50
    Bronar
    +1
    It's a business decision, plain and simple. They have a right to do what they think will earn them the most money.
  • Walt Bronar 2014/05/14 02:29:36
    Walt
    +4
    And that, my friend, is the American problem in a nutshell. At some point in our past (I'd say the post-war boom years of the 1950's) America (especially American business) stopped asking the question, "Is it right or wrong?" and instead asked the question, "Never mind that, how much money does it make?" Yes, it is a business decision. And so is outsourcing, and stripping American citizens of jobs, a living wage, chasing the bottom-dollar, etc. Ultimately, when our civil-liberties have been stripped by the decisions of both big-business and government (the tech industry works for the government of course) it will be under the category of "a business decision". Those who have the money and a certain agenda will make a decision to silence, make irrelevant, use, and ultimately enslave those who do not. It's been done before and likewise as a "business decision" The rise of Hitler and Lenin was due, in both cases, to economic "necessity" and in part as a "business decision". Germany needed economic recovery (so it overwhelmingly voted in the Nazi party) and eliminating Jews would "obviously" save the state money. Less mouths to feed. Yes, I'm dripping with sarcasm but you see my point. Let no one ever say, "It could not happen here." It's happening as we speak.
  • Bronar Walt 2014/05/14 15:01:57
    Bronar
    +1
    I didn't hear that those two were being sent to the ovens. They are simply not getting a job on a station known to have a large gay audience. Do you feel the Trinity Broadcasting Network is stripping the civil liberties of some satanist group by not broadcasting their show? I don't. I think you are carrying it a little far, but I respect your opinion.
  • Foxhoun... Bronar 2014/05/16 00:21:07
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    I think you are both right. It is about money and we should ask what's right. Obviously it's wrong to be a religious bigot so they should be tossed off the air either way.
  • Sailor ... Foxhoun... 2014/05/16 04:30:44
    Sailor Dale
    +1
    Obviously it's wrong to be a liberal bigot hypocrite so they should be tossed off the air..........(sarcasm)
    You are not prejudice, are you?? Yes, you are!!!
  • Sailor ... Walt 2014/05/16 04:06:39
    Sailor Dale
    That is true....and people don't even see that!
    But the same people that say "it is just a business decision are the same people screaming for a "living wage" and complaining when businesses close up shop in the US and move overseas for slave labor, meanwhile they are passing laws & making it harder & harder for a company to open up here in the U.S.
    And they tweet & post online on their I phones, I pads, & I pods...all the while Apple makes nothing in America, they make everything in China for slave labor, then ship them here & sell them for top dollar!
  • HypothesizeIt 2014/05/13 17:47:59
    HypothesizeIt
    +4
    Sure. It's a free country.
    And now we know that HGTV is pro-abortion, pro-no-fault divorce, and wishes to SILENCE all other views. It's good to know where they stand.
  • Walt Hypothe... 2014/05/14 02:32:53
    Walt
    +3
    It's good to know where they stand. But, by the same token, it's becoming an "un-free" country. If differing opinion and conscience can so quickly be silenced without indignation from any notable or noticable quarter, how close are we to losing all real sense of freedom? In the "free country" that I know and grew up in, such a thing should not happen. This is not just sad, but alarming and dangerous. It will multiply.
  • Brandon Walt 2014/05/14 12:04:05 (edited)
    Brandon
    +2
    So HGTV should be forced to keep the show? That doesn't sound "free" either. HGTV is a private company. They can drop any show that doesn't fit their views.
  • Hypothe... Walt 2014/05/15 13:24:38
    HypothesizeIt
    +2
    I understand your alarm. But I agree with Br@ndon below. Freedom means a company like HGTV can drop whoever they like. If I had a TV station and one of my shows was spewing Marxist propaganda, I'd want the right to tell them to take a hike.
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2014/05/13 15:09:30
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +2
    Their show had nothing to do with their religious views- it was about the property market. If their show was about their own religious beliefs, then they would have a point, and HGTV would be hard pressed to explain why they cancelled the show. That was not the case, and the company clearly does not wish to be affiliated with people having such opinions, so out they went. Fair's fair. If they want to talk about homosexuality, abortion and divorce, they can make their own show and do so. Just not on somebody else's platform.
  • Brandon 2014/05/13 14:20:22
  • Matt Brandon 2014/05/14 06:48:29
    Matt
    +2
    don't think those guys are homophobic at all...not agreeing with someone's lifestyle or sexual orientation does not mean you are scared of it or hate it...
  • Foxhoun... Matt 2014/05/16 00:22:59
    Foxhound BN0
    it's not that they don't like gays, but the creator of all the universe hates gays. that's all
  • Sailor ... Foxhoun... 2014/05/16 04:55:58
    Sailor Dale
    No, He does not! He wants them to repent of their sins! Just like all of us need to do!
  • Sailor ... Brandon 2014/05/16 04:52:00

2014/09/15 06:24:29