Voters Say It’s Time to End Affirmative Action: Do you agree?

CAPISCE 2013/01/19 16:06:22
YES
no
An in-depth Quinnipiac University poll on affirmative action released today found the desire to end Affirmative Action. The poll, with a sample more than twice the size of a typical national poll–3,079 interviews and a 1.8 percentage point margin of error–asked a comprehensive series of questions about attitudes toward affirmative action. A summary of the results showed 72% surveyed wanted to end Affirmative Action and 88% believed AA was a racist program.

• tytyvyllus 2013/01/24 15:02:22
    YES
    tytyvyllus
    Once I interviewed for a position and received a letter of rejection and called and spoke to the interviewer and asked what I could have done differently and was told I could have been a black female; I said I did not want the job that bad. Another time I was hired and a black woman took the agency to court and when the judge reviewed our resumes, to include our credentials, he said after ruling for the agency, why would they hire you when they could get him? Let’s end this crap.
  • syl 2013/01/22 21:28:19
    YES
    syl
    What kind of sense does it make, to hire a certain percentage of blacks, so they're not discriminated against, but then the very issue of discrimination is used to hire so many of color based on their color? Crazy.

No sense, whatsoever. Employers want to hire the best qualified person for a job. which should be their right to do so, no matter what color, sex, age etc
  • pennie syl 2013/01/30 00:28:22
    pennie
    black folks didnt get hired back then unless they were very light skinned. so I understand both sides.
  • syl pennie 2013/01/30 20:10:36
    syl
    Me too, but now is now, & then was then.
  • pennie syl 2013/01/30 21:41:34
    pennie
    yep....but some people just need a chance...I would not just hire someone because they are Mexican and I'm starting to see them all over the place in chineese, Sushi places, they even work at Mac Donald and now we have wrap big mac's...But like I said I see both sides.
  • syl pennie 2013/01/30 22:00:34
    syl
    Big gov't just needs to quit micro-managing everything! They seem to think that the general public have no brains, & so they want to make every decisiion for us.
    Employers should be able to pick who they want to employ.
  • pennie syl 2013/01/30 22:14:57
    pennie
    now I do agree with that....that's why we have yep programs ( youth employment program) so the young will get the education, and no how.
  • syl pennie 2013/01/31 19:39:59
    syl
    Which is a great idea. The standard school teaching doesn't do much for getting placed in a job nowadays.
  • pennie syl 2013/01/31 23:17:05
    pennie
    sooooo true
  • MLS 2013/01/22 18:46:44 (edited)
    YES
    MLS
    +1
    It's outdated and useless
  • James 2013/01/22 05:11:35
    YES
    James
    +1
    Affirmative Action does nothing to help minorities as much as they would like to think otherwise.
  • skowcog 2013/01/20 20:47:54
    YES
    skowcog
    +1
    It may have been needed but like anything the government does it has now distorted the job hiring process. We need to return to may the best man for a specific position win. Survival of the fittest.
  • pjobrien 2013/01/20 20:12:28
    YES
    pjobrien
    Tried, failed, time to retire it.
  • Slayer Tudd 2013/01/20 19:56:30
    YES
    Slayer Tudd
    +1
    Affirmative Action solves nothing and opens up doors to problems. It also undermines checks and balances. This is why the US now has a dictator in charge! Leadership needs to rely on qualifications and necessary pre-requisites that work with checks and balances. If a person is not fit to lead, he should not be put in the position to lead. Affirmative Action is akin to cheating on the SAT's, or only doing half of a math test and ignoring the other half.
  • pennie Slayer ... 2013/01/30 00:29:10
    pennie
    your mad because he is BLACK tell the truth !!!
  • Slayer ... pennie 2013/01/30 01:05:23
    Slayer Tudd
    I don't give a damn if he's black or green or purple with pink polka dots. Always pulling the racism card when it doesn't even make sense to pull that card in the first place. Lmao the stupidity you wield is amazing. So if I say I hate Bernankes policy of devaluing the dollar through excessive money printing, you gonna say I hate HIM? Because he's WHITE? LMFAO do you get it yet? When are you gonna get it through your thick skull that color of skin is irrelevant because the ACTIONS are what drives the animosity?
  • pennie Slayer ... 2013/01/30 19:42:01
    pennie
    yeah yeah yeah......what is it that you do for a living...you just always seem upset, do you ever take your conversation to Washington, or is it just for Soda Head.and what is affirmative action...my point.
  • pennie Slayer ... 2013/01/30 19:42:58
    pennie
    you love to debate it's cool but once again I don't get pissed over this..NOOoooooo not me. :)
  • Slayer ... pennie 2013/01/30 19:48:47
  • pennie Slayer ... 2013/01/30 19:53:15
  • Slayer ... pennie 2013/01/30 20:01:36
    Slayer Tudd
    I didn't vote Republican nor Democrat. I voted independent. I don't subscribe to duopoly or the sick left right paradigm that has you fooled into believing you have to make a choice! It appears I have finally struck a nerve. That's nothing babe, heeeeeere comes Tuddley...with his electric buzzers, and it looks like you are the next sheep in line for a buzzing, so you know, sheep get real cold when their wool has been sheared off of them. Well, way I see it, you either wake up on your own or I wake you up. But be forewarned, I'm NOT nice about it. Now hurry up and pop another blood vessel, this is starting to get real amusing.
  • Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL 2013/01/20 16:54:11 (edited)
    YES
    Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL
    Wow. Why didn't we do this six years ago? Affirmative action gave us this dumbassed Communist Dictator...
  • cc 2013/01/20 07:52:33
    YES
    cc
    +2
    Programs that use Affirmative Action never end well! Hire by qualification!
  • golem48 2013/01/20 07:05:51
    YES
    golem48
    +3
    It never should have been permitted. The black civil rights movement ostensibly started as a quest for equality, but often turned into a treacherous grab for privilege. It is a direct violation of the 14 th Amendment.
  • nicesteve 2013/01/20 06:22:35
    YES
    nicesteve
    +2
    Admit students on the basis of their merits and abilities. Not their race, color,
    religion, gender, or creed. And ditto for dolling out grants and scholarships.
  • Jerimia 2013/01/20 04:13:38
    YES
    Jerimia
    +2
    Very much so. My father was a railroad laborer back in the 50 and 60s when the pay was poor. (But stable) When he died (at 44 years old) my mother was left with a 29 year mortgage, a 14 year old son. (Got $125 month RR benefits, NO social security) We made it WITHOUT welfare, but I left high-school in the 10th grade to go to work to help make ends meet. OK, I am a white male. I did NOT get any bull crap "affirmative action" assistance.

What I got was a draft notice and then volunteered for the Army. (Didn't want to go Marines.) THAT was MY affirmative action. I pulled myself up (with the help of a good family) and now have a decent, middle class (Actually, I consider it a very GOOD) life. I have known many minorities that get the benefits of Affirmative Action that had many more opportunities that I ever dreamed of. Now why should I have to compete against them, and they get "extra points" only because of their skin, not because of NEED?

Get rid of this racist program and give all men equal opportunity instead of having "special" class people.
  • Delete 2013/01/20 03:37:38
  • JET 2013/01/20 00:35:37
    YES
    JET
    +1
    It's run it's race and has been used and abused miserably. It is no longer a tool, but is being used as a weapon.
  • sammanilla 2013/01/19 23:50:02
    YES
    sammanilla
    +1
    Yes, affirmative action was erroneous to begin with.

affirmative action erroneous begin
  • Rebel Yell 2013/01/19 23:23:13
    YES
    Rebel Yell
    +1
    One of the better posts on SODA. Thanks, Capisce.

If an Anglo , an Indian, a Haitian, and a Puerto Rican all applied for the same job as Systems Manager on some project, and all equally educated with promising resumes... who would get that job? It should ( and usually does) go before a review board. But what if the most influential person on that board was of Indian descent? Would it make a difference? My opinion... just an opinion... is yes. It does.

Try as we might, we are all racist when it comes down to it. Why is it called racism when we choose to be with those whom we identify with with culturally, religiously, and ethnicity ? I believe that to be very natural , going back to building fires in some remote cave. We can say we see no gender or racial inequalities, but come on... yes, we do. We may try to get past bias and with good intent, but really ... how many truly practice that? This is why affirmative action doesn't truly work and never will. Good thought behind it, but the truth is, as many as have benefited, just as many have had doors slammed in their faces.
  • Tic-Toc 2013/01/19 23:07:46
    YES
    Tic-Toc
    +1
    Along with affirmative action, I say we get rid of the NAACP also... If any group is tryng to hold the Blacks down it is them....
  • ron 2013/01/19 22:43:42
    no
    ron
    +1
    I don't know how it is in the white collar world. I work in construction and in my twenty years in the business I don't know one contractor who has ever hired a black guy/girl.Not even as a laborer.
  • Patrick... ron 2013/01/20 16:57:59
    Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL
    And? Could that mean that that a) not too many applied and b), the ones that did were not qualified? Oh, and let's face it-Imperial Law aside, this is supposed to be the land of the free and employers should be able to hire whomever they want-and not hire whomever they don't want...
  • ron Patrick... 2013/01/22 00:08:02
    ron
    I understand what you mean and I'm sure I don't know everybody who applied butin this little network of companies everyone knows everyone else and when a black person applies they don't get hired but the do hire people who I'm not sure are even citizens. Again I say not even a laborer. I don't know if you anything about construction you know you don't have to be very bright to do it.
  • Patrick... ron 2013/01/22 01:24:13
    Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL
    I've pulled my share of wire in my day... My deal is still this; if a person doesn't want to hire blacks, so what? He ends up hurting himself if the black applicant was the best qualified. But it is still his money, his private property. The general government has no business telling him who to hire.
  • ron Patrick... 2013/01/23 23:05:38
    ron
    Man I hear what you're saying. I don't like it a whole lot either. But seeing as how there are so many more white people you don't ever really have to hire any minority.I don't think that I trust rich white guys to do it themselves.
  • Gid 2013/01/19 22:38:49
    YES
    Gid
    +2
    AA keeps the wounds of racial hated open and fresh. It is time to move on. Will there be discrimination yes, but AA does not prevent it and in many cases causes it.
  • EvilMonkey 2013/01/19 21:19:05
    YES
    EvilMonkey
    +2
    Never understood how looking at everyones race made you colorblind. Then the standard only applied if there were too many whites or in a few cases asians.
  • libertybelle 2013/01/19 21:06:39
    YES
    libertybelle
    +2
    There should be no discrimination or favoritism based on skin color...grades and qualifications should be the ONLY considerations.
  • JonDeniro 2013/01/19 20:43:55
    YES
    JonDeniro
    +3
    Long overdue.

The interesting part is that 72% want it to end, while 88% believe it is racist. So, 16% advocate a program they know to be racist?

2014/10/23 05:56:21