Vice President Dick Cheney recently told a joke stereotyping West Virginia as a state prone to incest. Was his comment offensive or funny?

PolyTicks 2008/06/16 18:07:16
It's so offensive that Cheney should be impeached.
It's offensive, but they should accept his apology.
It's offensive, but funny... and maybe a little bit true.
It's hilarious. West Virginians should get a sense of humor... and stop dating their sisters.
Source: The Washington Post
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008/06/dick_cheneys_in...

Vice President Dick Cheney has apologized through his spokeswoman for making an offhand joke during a speech at the National Press Club Monday stereotyping West Virginia as a state prone to incest....

Cheney's statement came after West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin added his voice to the chorus of outrage from Mountain State politicians (including WV Senators Jay Rockefeller and Robert Byrd) and demanded an apology from the veep....

Cheney was at the Press Club to congratulate this year's winners of the Gerald R. Ford Journalism Prize for Distinguished Reporting on the Presidency. During a question-and-answer session toward the end of the luncheon, someone asked the vice president about his wife Lynne Cheney's revelation on MSNBC last year that "Dick and Barack Obama are eighth cousins."

The questioner jokingly asked the vice president if he and Obama were going to have a family reunion, to which Cheney replied he would "have no objections" though he said he doubted Obama would want one - "certainly not before November."

Then came the offensive punch line. Cheney explained that during the course of researching his family lineage for Lynne's memoir "Blue Skies, No Fences" last year, he learned there were Cheneys on both his father's and his mother's side of the family. There was a Richard Cheney on his mother's side, the vice president said.

"So I had Cheneys on both sides of the family and we don't even live in West Virginia," Cheney quipped.

• MayaD 2009/01/29 00:33:13
    MayaD
    When the people of Pennsylvania become offended at their own congressman, John Murtha, for calling them racists, and then rednecks, I will venture an opinion on this question. When those people voted for him after those comments stereotyping THEM as racists, and no democrat said he was wrong, the dimdems put the seal of approval on such comments.
  • LilaGrace ~ Proud Liberal 2008/11/10 17:59:03
    LilaGrace ~ Proud Liberal
    Ok, so maybe impeached is pushing it, but damn, all the other crap he's done isn't enough to impeach the SOB? He's like a damn cat. I am hoping he is on his last political life. After January 20, 2009, he needs to just fade into obscurity and be nothing more than the negative historical footnote, and political punchline, that he already is.
  • Shiloh's Angel-2012 2008/10/10 02:38:33
    Shiloh's Angel-2012
    Get real! The Democrates are now in a stance that they can't take jokes!Please!!!!! They can sure dish it out, but they can't take it!!!!!!!!Well ,West Virginia isn't ammune from jokes either!!!!!!!!!Get Real,but I know that would be to hard for Dems to do!McCain/Palin "2008"
  • Denny 2008/06/17 02:01:26
    It's hilarious. West Virginians should get a sense of humor... and stop datin...
    Denny
    +1
    Look I'll admit that Politicians pop off the lousyest jokes but they also have the worst since of humor than even the people they represent. How many people has heard a variation of that? and now you're going to get upset? Give me a break.
  • Regulus [99 - INSHALLAH] 2008/06/16 19:09:02
    Regulus [99 - INSHALLAH]
    Incest joke; from Cheney? Can't wait to see these hypocrites go. XD
  • freewill~STS~freespirit 2008/06/16 18:14:42
  • PolyTicks freewil... 2008/06/16 19:09:18
    PolyTicks
    "Treason"? For telling a joke about Hillbilly incest? Well, there goes the First Amendment.
  • freewil... PolyTicks 2008/06/16 19:11:03
  • PolyTicks freewil... 2008/06/16 19:29:35
    PolyTicks
    +1
    Okay, I disagree with your position on the War, then. But this poll has nothing to do with the War. The question was your opinion regarding the West Virginia joke. I live in Ohio, right across the river from West Virginia, and some of my best friends live in WV. We tease each other all the time with the same WV jokes (only in WV, they're Buckeye jokes). But we have fun with it and everybody knows they're just jokes. My hair is blond, but I tell "dumb blonde" jokes... because they're funny. If we can't laugh at ourselves, then we really need to get a sense of humor before we grow up to be grouchy old misers.
  • freewil... PolyTicks 2008/06/16 19:33:33
  • PolyTicks freewil... 2008/06/16 21:21:22
    PolyTicks
    +1
    I'm in my thirties. I respect that you are offended by them, but what's next on the censorship list? Any time you make a joke about any group of people, whether it be lawyers, blondes, politicians, or West Virginians, somebody's going to be offended. What kind of jokes are safe? And what does a joke about incest have to do with our "elders"? It wasn't an age joke.
  • freewil... PolyTicks 2008/06/16 21:40:00
  • PolyTicks freewil... 2008/06/23 16:43:28 (edited)
    PolyTicks
    +1
    Okay, I didn't want this poll to be about the War, so I'll try to be very brief in replying about it. But first I'll address your comments regarding Cheney's joke.

After reading your latest post, I now understand what you meant in your reference to impeachment. But perhaps you can understand my confusion since the answer you selected was that the JOKE was "so offensive that Cheney should be impeached."

First of all, Cheney wasn't "thumbing his nose" at anybody. He was telling a joke. That's all it was; a joke. I've got a lot of "rednecks" and "hillbillies" in my family and we all love a good redneck joke. We laugh at Jeff Foxworthy because, number one, it's funny, and number two, there's a lot of truth to it. I'll admit it, and I'll laugh at myself. It's just a joke.

People who are offended at such jokes look foolish not because of the joke, but because of their overreaction to it. It makes them look like they've got a secret barnyard or incestuous fetish and they're trying to cover it up. To paraphrase Shakespeare's "Hamlet", "They protest too much, methinks." For the record, I'm not saying that it's true, but rather that the unintended consequence of their overreaction is raised suspicion. If you're trying to protect your image, the best course of action is to laugh it off.

As far as the War ...""

""'

'

'

''""

'

''''

''""'

''

reference impeachment understand confusion answer selected joke offensive cheney impeached

As far as the War being unconstitutional, the Constitution specifically gives the Commander-in-Chief (President Bush) the responsibility of waging war. It gives Congress the responsibility of authorizing said war, which it did. The Constitution was followed exactly to the "T".

president bush responsibility waging war congress responsibility authorizing war constitution

As far as the Administration "misleading us" into the War, there were a lot of other officials who had the same opinion that WMDs not only were present, but were a grave threat to our National Security; among them, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, and John Kerry. (See http://www.snopes.com/politic... If Bush and Cheney lied, then so did these others. And Bill Clinton had the information and his opinions about it while he was still in office, so it can't be alleged that Bush initiated it. If it was a lie, then Clinton lied first.

clinton information opinions office alleged bush initiated lie clinton lied

As far as the War being justified, Saddam Hussein thumbed his nose repeatedly at the U.N. inspectors and the resolutions commanding him to comply with the search for WMD's. The only logical reason someone would refuse to comply is either that they are hiding WMDs or they are insane. Personally, I believe that both those qualifications applied to Saddam Hussein.

Why didn't we find WMDs? Well, actually, we did. There is uncontrovertible evidence that Saddam Hussein not only had biological WMDs, but he used them on his own people. There is photographic evidence which I will not repost here due to its graphic nature. Our troops found many caches of biological weapons hidden in the Iraqi desert after Baghdad fell. Once again, there is photographic evidence (of which this is just a small selection).

caches biological weapons hidden iraqi desert baghdad photographic evidence selection

What happened to the WMDs we expected to find? Well, there was plenty of time between the U.N.'s warning that a Coalition invasion was in the works and the time we actually got the authorization to go in for Saddam to smuggle much of them out of the country (most-likely to Syria). What they weren't able to get out, they buried. Iraq is a big geographical area and it would be impossible to dig up everything that was buried in their sands. As Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld so aptly explained, "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

But look at what they DID find buried in the Iraqi sands:

donald rumsfeld explained absence evidence evidence absence buried iraqi sands

For the story, go to http://www.snopes.com/photos/...
    If Saddam buried fighter jets in the sand, don't you think he would have buried his WMDs as well when he learned of the coming invasion? And if it was difficult to find these huge jets, how much harder would it be to find the much-smaller WMDs?

And finally, sure, if we pull out of Iraq tomorrow no more of our troops will be shot in Iraq. They'll just be shot alongside us citizens when the terrorists we let get away invade American soil again. At that time we'll be fighting a defensive, rather than offensive, war. Not only will we have to worry about the lives of our troops, but we'll have to defend our citizens, our property, and ultimately our liberty. I hate war as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather fight them over there than have to fight them here.

Also, I don't want to be sending the next generation of U.S. troops to Iraq 20 years from now because we pulled another Gulf War retreat (the biggest mistake of George H.W. Bush's Presidency), leaving the job unfinished. If, as you say, we were to try the Administration for treason, then I agree that they will not be making any more "tasteless jokes." Our enemies will learn that we care less about protecting our liberty than persecuting our political adversaries and they will use that to destroy us. And that's no joke, tasteless or otherwise.

learn care protecting liberty persecuting political adversaries destroy joke tasteless

Well, so much for being brief. Anyway, I won't elaborate more on this topic, since it's getting away from the subject of the poll, but I am convinced that many people do not have access to a lot of the facts about the War. Otherwise, they would not protest against it so vehemently. Therefore, I thought I needed to answer your points with this food for thought. I hope it was informative.
    (less)
  • freewil... PolyTicks 2008/06/24 05:05:02
  • greenwo... PolyTicks 2008/06/16 23:03:47
    greenwoodtree
    +1
    (Poly) Soon all jokes will be outlawed because someone will always be offended. All that sunscreen everyone uses must be making our skin thinner. You can tell a red neck joke at my expense and I'll laugh with you.
  • PolyTicks greenwo... 2008/06/23 16:47:09
    PolyTicks
    +1
    I appreciate it, greenwoodtree.
  • Tubby20076 2008/06/16 18:13:54
    Tubby20076
    Incest jokes by government people...What a strange world.
  • PolyTicks 2008/06/16 18:11:36
    PolyTicks
    +1
    As a neighbor to the great state of West Virginia, I think it's pretty funny. I mean, what's next? Are dumb blondes going to start suing joke-tellers for discrimination? Come on, it was obviously a benign joke told in jest. Dear West Virginia politicians; If you can't laugh at yourself, that's okay. I'll laugh at you for you.

joke told jest dear west virginia politicians laugh ill laugh
  • Laugh Lines = L. L. L. 2008/06/16 18:10:32
    Laugh Lines = L. L. L.
    There is no excuse for that !

2014/10/01 01:36:41