Vatican Upset Over Gene Technology: Are you against altering genetics?

Mr. T 2009/04/22 20:51:46
Gene Technology is bad. No Gene alterations, like the Vatican speaks.
I think gene technology is an interesting idea.
The Vatican thinks new gene technology will lead to new racism?
The Vatican expressed concern about new gene technology breeding a new form of racism. At the United Nations race conference, the Vatican and Pope Benedict spoke up about how they disapprove of parents being able to choose the genetic characteristics of their children. Being able to choose the eye color of your child could lead to a "subcategory of human beings" according to the Vatican. Also, gene alteration could harm the normal adaptation of a child to a given society. Many believe you are bred with certain genes to make it easier to adapt to your surroundings.

• Crische 2009/04/22 21:16:23
    Crische
    +6
    NOO. I'm a big time evolutionist. But I think the power to manipulate genes as Man sees appropriate, would be a horrible idea. Man is not responsible enough to have that power... to tweak a person like you would a racecar or computer. It would simply take away natural evolution for humans, assuming they left it at that... changes from generation to generation are not meant to be drastic, but a slow precise thing...
    Then again I can't imagine how much evolution is really going on in humans anyway. there is no "survival" factor virtually... The strong/intelligent live to reproduce, and the weak/ignorant reproduce also, if not at a greater rate...
    So whatever, it's just definitely a bad idea to give humans the power to read through DNA and alter it to their discretion.

• Elizabeth 2009/04/23 17:31:45
    Elizabeth
    +2
    Is there anything regarding progress that the Vatican doesn't grouse about and/or condemn? Copernicus had to be very quiet about his astral discoveries because of the Inquisition. Galileo was more blatant and had to seek protection from it with the more progressive Medici family. I could go on. Gene technology should be pursued, but discoveries should be limited to benefitting mankind. Like everything else, discoveries could lead to abuse, and much care should be taken that this does not happen.
  • karmadrome Elizabeth 2009/04/23 21:04:43
    karmadrome
    +2
    Unfortunately, could lead to abuse is a certainty. There will always be abuse. And then who gets to decide how much is too much. Who should be the one to take great care that these things don't happen? I agree, not the Vatican, but who? Very complicated, but interesting, indeed.
  • GeorgeR karmadrome 2009/04/23 22:58:40
  • karmadrome GeorgeR 2009/04/24 13:30:00
    karmadrome
    See, I'm not convinced government is the answer to everything. As a licensed CPA, my profession is primarily self-regulated. Has there been problems, absolutely (Enron). And there will always be fraud. But as a percentage, we have self-regulated pretty well. More power back to the people. Let the people decide what is ethically ok, and what is too much. Leaving it to government is leaving it special interests. And I doubt that will *change* anytime soon.
  • GeorgeR karmadrome 2009/04/24 21:21:53
  • karmadrome GeorgeR 2009/04/27 14:57:02
    karmadrome
    Then how do you explain Fannie and Freddie? Government is not the answer. I get the impression you are completely unaware of the corruption in government. You think Geithner didn't have to pay his taxes just because he flew under the radar? No sir, Geithner's tax problems were easily discoverable. He just knows the right people in the right places. Money or influence can get the government off your back. Definitely NOT the answer I want, and not who I want controlling such advanced technologies.
  • GeorgeR Elizabeth 2009/04/23 22:55:56
  • chas 2009/04/23 17:27:18
    chas
    +3
    Strange, new biotechnogy. IF it can eliminate "genetic-related" disease, or "deformities", it MAY be positive. The experiments could be "dangerous", so CLOSE monitoring is necessary.
  • Marie chas 2009/04/24 16:44:58
    Marie
    +1
    could backfire!
  • chas Marie 2009/04/25 03:43:45
    chas
    +1
    very TRUE!
  • Lanikai 2009/04/23 17:05:27
    +2
    I think it sets a dangerous precedent and a very bad course. Let us say that a certain millionaire needs the stem cells from a blonde, blue eyed gene group. In order to get these cells, an embryo must die so there are cells for altering. A gynecologist has access to many patients and of a great diversity, so the doctor is paid nicely, to tell some poor woman that her pregnancy is "terminating" and the rich man gets his cells.

OR, in order to get enough cells for mutational experiment or genetic modification, college age girls are recruited to carry multiple fetuses to three months, then have an abortion so the geneticist can harvest the material.

Too many ways the medical community can really take advantage of their training and way too many ways the rich will benefit at the expense of the lesser fortunate. Of course, some folks will NEVER have to worry about this as stupidity is never a desirable quality, but if they decide to make a brainwashing serum to controll the masses, it would only take a few corrupt doctors, lawyers and politicians to corrupt all of the water long enough to give us all the mond control drug.
  • Sadie100~In God we trust~ 2009/04/23 16:39:22
    Sadie100~In God we trust~
    +1
    But they are finding that it benefits some things, I'm in the thought process about it!!
  • Made4U2Wonder 2009/04/23 16:17:25
    Made4U2Wonder
    +1
    Hey haven't you guys seen Gatica? If not rent it now. It was made maybe 10 15 years ago. And we are now going into that era. It stars Uma Thuman before she was a star.
  • erick 2009/04/23 15:37:39 (edited)
    erick
    +1
    i'm all for stem cell research to combat disease. gene alteration to choose eye color, etc. is just rediculous. there are some lines that just shouldn't be crossed. i don't agree with the vatican on much but i don't think gene alteration is a good idea.
  • Marie erick 2009/04/24 16:48:05
    Marie
    How will you control gene alteration once we open Pandoras box gene alteration open pandoras box
  • tj 2009/04/23 14:44:08 (edited)
    tj
    +2
    Hitler's dream was the master race because he was a racist. Obama has already shown he is a fascist and a racist so him and Rev Wright probably have their own dream of a black master race.
  • erick tj 2009/04/23 15:52:02
    erick
    +2
    who knew this question would be an opening to attack our president? i wonder if it's possible to use gene alteration to get rid of animosity and close-mindedness in people, if so i might just change my mind on the subject.
  • tj erick 2009/04/23 23:05:05
    tj
    Ahhh... self medicating
  • GeorgeR erick 2009/04/23 23:08:43
  • Lanikai tj 2009/04/23 17:08:51
    Sorry, look at the continent of Africa, onoly those who got out by whatever means, have achieved much past the 19th century. 60 years of peace corps training and labors and retraining and multiple billions of dollars later, and they still would rather live in grass huts, drink goat blood, and fight each other over completely useless land. I doubt that a master race onthat continent is possible, because no matter how much exposure they have and access they have to all modern conveniences, another tribal war breaks out and half are dead and the rest are off to murder another tribe. Sorry that is just NOT possible.
  • GeorgeR Lanikai 2009/04/24 01:18:46
  • Marie Lanikai 2009/04/25 14:01:27
  • Elizabeth tj 2009/04/23 17:36:07
    Elizabeth
    +1
    Obama a fascist and racist? You sound confused. So confused, that you don't even know the name of the controvertial reverend. It's "Wright." And you sir, are terribly wrong!
  • GeorgeR tj 2009/04/23 23:06:42
  • tj GeorgeR 2009/04/23 23:15:31
    tj
    Can't do your own dirty work dickless wonder?
  • GeorgeR tj 2009/04/24 21:24:07
  • luvguins 2009/04/23 14:10:21
    luvguins
    +3
    It may lead to conquering some prevalent diseases.
  • kingbee9 2009/04/23 13:20:34
    kingbee9
    +3
    there is a delicate balance in living things. you could open up a pandora's box if you begin dabbling in it. there is no telling what mutations can happen over time. i say work on something else that benefits us. playing in the gene pool is playing God.
  • Lanikai kingbee9 2009/04/23 17:10:23
    But how else will we get an anti christ
  • Elizabeth Lanikai 2009/04/23 17:39:43
    Elizabeth
    There is a huge gap between the belief of the anti-Christ and the actual fact that such an entity exists, or exists only the the minds of his believers.
  • GeorgeR Lanikai 2009/04/24 01:21:19
  • Marie kingbee9 2009/04/24 16:50:58
    Marie
    like a cure for cancer cure cancer
  • Uncle Joe 2009/04/23 13:01:58
    Uncle Joe
    +2
    BUT, it deserves about twice as much scrutiny as it will get before approval.
    The Vatican is disappointed they can't bully the world into titheing to support the secret bank accounts they manipulate the world with.
  • GeorgeR Uncle Joe 2009/04/24 01:22:36
  • Marie Uncle Joe 2009/04/24 16:52:45
    Marie
    +1
    Big Bullies???
  • 618346 aka...lonenoncom 2009/04/23 12:40:50
    618346 aka...lonenoncom
    +2
    This vactian, seems to be controlled by the same lack of openess to science that kept the earth as the center of our universe and oppose the helicentric model.
  • dematheart 2009/04/23 12:06:48
    dematheart
    +4
    The Vatican should be spending all it's time, and money, assisting the millions of victims of abuse from their priests.

It is as irrelevant as the republican party.
  • tj dematheart 2009/04/23 14:56:04
    tj
    +1
    Maybe they can alter the gay gene in you.
  • erick tj 2009/04/23 15:55:57
    erick
    +1
    i read your other post and suspected you must be an moron. after reading this one, you removed all suspicion. YOU, MY FRIEND, ARE A MORON!!!
  • Elizabeth erick 2009/04/23 17:43:22
    Elizabeth
    I wonder what tj's other post said to give you such an impression, and I am not qualified to call him a moron. That said, he appears to be making every effort to appear as one.

2014/08/02 08:37:06