U.S.: Should Kids Have To Pay To Ride The School Bus?

No, there has to be another way to close the gap.
Sure, if it means not cutting something else from the education budget
I think charging kids to ride the bus is …
There’s no such thing as a free lunch, and for kids in Colorado’s Douglas County there is now no such thing as a free yellow bus ride to school.

After a unanimous vote this week by the school board, students will be charged 50 cents per ride starting next school year to board buses in the state’s third-largest school district.

The new charges will affect nearly 17,000 students, though families who qualify for the National Free and Reduced Lunch Program and those with Individualized Education Programs will not be charged the fees, which the cash-strapped district hopes will raise $2 million. Douglas County is facing $31 million in reductions in the 2010-2011 school year with nearly $16 million made up by transportation costs.

It will cost Douglas County Schools more than $221,000 over three years to implement Zonar GPS units to track ridership.

• winterhawk56 2010/05/20 22:44:41
    winterhawk56
    +9
    I think charging kids to ride the bus has already been done through our city, county, state and gov, taxes.
    If we could get our city, county, state and gov, oficials to use our taxes the right way. there would not be a problem!!!

• randy v... Change ... 2010/05/20 19:51:25
    randy vaughan
    +1
    agreed re $$$$ but still doesn't answer the question that begs to be asked (and not limited now only to the schools, etc): 'where DOES all that money go?'

and good for you 'cause i'm busted again....no idea regarding the absence of a 'requirement'...i hope you can understand why i hope that not only me, but others as well, are left to 'assume' that's the truth...i mean, the school districts are laid-out and the schools send out the appropriate busses at the correct times...

good post and thanks very much!
  • Catlareu Change ... 2010/05/20 22:32:18
    Catlareu
    Actually that's not true. It all depends on how far away the schools are to where one lives. They call it "courtesy busing" if kids live within 1-2 miles from school and that can be removed, but if the kids live further away the schools have to provide busing.
    The rules all depend on which state one lives in and also which city or county one lives in.
    When I was growing up in the 60's/70s,, I lived in NY state and we had the choice of walking for free or riding a town bus at a reduced student price. If kids lived further away they were bused. We had sidewalks and crossing guards back then.
  • Charles E 2010/05/20 16:25:48
    Charles E
    +3
    Charging kids to ride the bus is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard.
  • ducdodger 2010/05/20 16:16:49
    ducdodger
    +3
    If I am correct the resident of that school district all ready pay for their kids to ride the bus, with their taxes. If they continue to push that issue then everyone should have to pay the fee not just people who have the money.
  • Cidlvj4 ducdodger 2010/05/20 16:38:00
    Cidlvj4
    Exactly!
    Get those top paid teacher and school officials to no longer get a full paid summer vacation and the problem is solved. Millions of dollars a years saved.
    Why do they get the 3 month vacation payed to do nothing? They got there education now let our children not pay for their mistakes. I am sure they can get a part time summer job.
  • ducdodger Cidlvj4 2010/05/20 16:51:27
    ducdodger
    +1
    I'm also sure if they would cut the top staff's pay they could use the money to pay for the buses.
  • Cordingly Cidlvj4 2010/05/20 16:55:22 (edited)
    Cordingly
    Many teachers opt to teach summer programs, as well as take second jobs. I met a great deal of teachers working in Alaska last season on boats, not because it was fun.
  • CODE 11 Cordingly 2010/05/20 17:34:46
    CODE 11
    Teachers get paid for 9 Months out of the year..or they can opt to spread it over 12 Months...they work in the summer if they want to..or they spend there money already over the frist 9 Months. Don't feel sorry for them. Just take a look in the teachers parking lot..German cars ( not VW bettles) are why alot of them work in the summer also .
  • Change ... CODE 11 2010/05/20 18:26:01
    Change Happens
    not on the west coast. ONCE was, a teacher COULD opt for either 9 or 12 months. Districts determined that THEY wanted the interest rather than let teacher get it..so every district I know pays in 12.
  • Change ... Cidlvj4 2010/05/20 18:24:36
    Change Happens
    +1
    I taught in a large school district on the west coast. The central office was at least a mile away from the CLOSEST school. There were more than 100 CERTIFIED people there...people who began their careers as teachers...who were paid more than $75k a year...WHO NEVER SAW A STUDENT during the year.

Start your waste cutting there.
  • Cidlvj4 Change ... 2010/05/20 18:32:18
    Cidlvj4
    Where ever it needs to be cut. You are right, but do not charge the children for bus rides or ignore the fact that we as tax payers are all ready paying taxes for this service, as well as to provide the lunch for needy students. I do not mind feeding the children. They do need proper nutrition to learn. Well spend money by tax payers to feed and bus the children but too much money being wasted.
  • Catlareu Cidlvj4 2010/05/20 22:36:17
    Catlareu
    I would go after the administrators first as they are the ones who tend to make the big bucks. I know in my school district most of our administrators make 6 figures while the teachers don't make more than 5 figures. The teachers that make the most have been teachers for many years and who have chosen to update their studies on a regular basis.
  • Lanikai 2010/05/20 16:12:06
    +2
    A smart dea. BUT everyone should have to pay it, not just the NON welfare deadbeat folks.
  • santa6642 2010/05/20 15:39:39
    santa6642
    +4
    It's for the children What BS.,lets go to vouchers and Get rid of over paid and over benefited teachers unions are breaking our school system. the people should control schools not the unions.
  • Lanikai santa6642 2010/05/20 16:13:35
    +2
    I agree that the parasitic, blood and life sucking unions need to go. But until we can make that happen, everyone needs to pay something. BUT as I already stated, I would only support this if ALL students had to pay and NOT just the more well off ones. Giving welfare deadbeats that mass reporduce a free pass, again, is just wrong.
  • Cordingly Lanikai 2010/05/20 16:41:18
    Cordingly
    +1
    I'd also debate this, free lunch and programs like Americorps exist for a good reason. My girlfriend, who worked for the latter mentioned program, learned that some students need such programs, just to get two meals in them. Yes, I'll agree that this is indeed a welfare program, and I don't like the idea that schools are essentially a "daycare" for some parents, I don't feel as wrong in giving under privileged youth a hand.

I'm getting off topic I can see, but I feel certain programs are good for schools, I'll leave it at that.
  • CODE 11 Cordingly 2010/05/20 17:36:15
    CODE 11
    Makes you wonder what their parents are doing with the food stamps..doesn't it.
  • Change ... CODE 11 2010/05/20 18:30:24
    Change Happens
    nope..just makes me wonder about stupid people who make ignorant assumptions.
  • Lanikai Cordingly 2010/05/20 17:54:32
    +1
    I don't mind free breakfast or lunch, my point was IF we are already GIVING the parents FREE food stamps, why are we also paying to feed the kids at school. Use that free food money and feed those kids at home.
  • Cordingly Lanikai 2010/05/20 18:35:21
    Cordingly
    Some parents might not be taking the stamps, others might just be really bad at taking care of their kids, it's a whole new list of questions really.
  • Lanikai Cordingly 2010/05/20 19:09:31
    +1
    This is why we should end all forms of welfare and let charities take over. Taxpayers are footing too many bills for entirely too many ill prepared folks to have kids, the kids are growing up ignorant and it just repeats and gets worse. Genrational welfare folks teach more generational welfare, and it has become an accpetable income choice. End all of it, let families do the best thay can.
  • CODE 11 Lanikai 2010/05/20 17:39:51
    CODE 11
    +2
    There giving a free pass to the (free lunch kids). The kids there charging are the ones who 's parents have already been charged (property taxes)
  • Change ... CODE 11 2010/05/20 18:31:38
    Change Happens
    +1
    funny...when I was in the Air Force, every time I changed stations...as part of the in-processing, they gave me applications for food stamps and free/reduced price lunches for my kids...I was Active Duty...WORKING
  • Lanikai Change ... 2010/05/20 19:12:06
    +1
    Most military families in the enlisted ranks qualify if they have at least one kid. That is a sad statement on our nation and it's priorities. Illegals earn more on welfare then our troops do defending the homeland.
  • CODE 11 Change ... 2010/05/22 04:04:37
    CODE 11
    Hey I was making $ 44 a mouth when i started, and not living to bad...if i didn't leave base.
  • Lanikai CODE 11 2010/05/20 19:10:55
    I know, that is why I say, let ALL who ride the bus PAY for that privilege, and they can just be grateful that they don't have to walk to school.

I pay property taxes, and I pay for my child to go to private school. I pay a lot more then .50 cent each way.
  • CindyLee Lanikai 2010/05/20 19:44:25
    CindyLee
    But do you have to come up with it all at the beginning of the year?

I have no issues with paying for the bus ride, since I grew up doing so, but it always broke my mother to have to come up with the (at the time) 180.00 per child at the beginning of the year for the bus pass. That meant my mother by the first day of school had to come up with $720.00 just to pay for school bus rides (4 kids 180 per kid). That's more than most welfare parents can come up with at one shot, and we weren't on welfare either.
  • Lanikai CindyLee 2010/05/20 19:46:00 (edited)
    We pay a certain amout every month. At the beginning of th eyear we have to pay for an activity card, a drink card and we have to buy over $200.00 worth of school supplies. So every month I pay XXXX number of dollars. Financial aid families pay less, but we have to take our kids to school, no one offers bus service for private school kids.
  • CODE 11 Lanikai 2010/05/22 04:06:35
    CODE 11
    In NJ you can't use a public school bus to go to private school. They don't give you a property tax rebate either!
  • Lanikai CODE 11 2010/05/27 19:46:45
    Yeah, no private schools get to use the public school buses.

I wish they would give us a rebate for our unused school taxes.
  • Cordingly santa6642 2010/05/20 16:37:38
    Cordingly
    +1
    Hm, I'm on the fence as to teacher's unions. Knowing the work loads these people take, it's quite excruciating, but that's almost another topic in its self.

Schools are constantly strapped for cash, which does indeed show a flaw somewhere in the system, transportation though, I imagine falls under a certain budget restriction not governed by teacher's salaries.
  • Lanikai Cordingly 2010/05/20 19:22:15
    +1
    How about teacher take a pay cut as soon as the administrative offices take one. Our schools have secretary's for the principal, and vice, secretary's for the office so teachers have someone to take messages, and hundreds of unnecessary support personnel. The administrations are so bloated and over stuffed with family style "gimme" jobs ( a niece, cousin, friend's daughter) and NONE of that money helps the classroom. Add stupid parents to the load and tit is a mess. The boards rarely back a teacher if a parent complains about grades, or performance or homework loads, and a LOT of stupid parents think they should never have to help with homework then grip when Johnny is failing. Maybe, stupid, ignorant, welfare class folks should not breed at will. THAT would end a lot of headaches in th eschool system, and the criminal justice system.
  • Change ... santa6642 2010/05/20 18:29:18
    Change Happens
    LOL...vouchers...the magic cure all...great...get your kids vouchers...now

What makes you think any private school is going to TAKE your kids? Competition will be stiff. They'll have to TEST...and if they don't come up to snuff, all the vouchers in the world won't get your kid in the door.

And what about you?

EVERY private school I know...whether religious based or not MANDATES PARENTAL PARTICIPATION...so many hours a month. (In some schools...EXPENSIVE schools, parents can buy their way out.) If you're willing to step up and "volunteer" your time to a private school...where are you now??
  • Lanikai Change ... 2010/05/20 19:15:57
    Good points. My daughter goes to a private school with a super tough entry process and limited spaces available. Financial aid is available, but our school takes NO federal funds from any grants or anything. It is all parent paid. I have to send in paper towels, kleenex, Lysol wipes. Plastic silverware, napkins, and send a lunch everyday. We have no school buses, and parents are the ones who porvide special snacks, party supplies, and everything else needed. We have to help do the classroom work-cleaning up, etc.

Parents are the biggest difference in public and private schools. Parents are super involved at private schools. Not so much with th epublic ones.

2014/07/29 19:02:22