US Service Women Challenge Combat Role Ban:What are your thoughts about women on the battle front?

JMCC 2012/11/28 13:48:21
The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a challenge on behalf of four US servicewomen against a ban on women being deployed in most combat roles.

The lawsuit filed in a federal court in San Francisco argues that the policy is unconstitutional.

Women can serve in front line positions in the US military, but they are barred from ground combat units.

A Pentagon spokesman said 14,500 combat positions had been opened to women under the current defence secretary.

He added that Defence Secretary Leon Panetta had "directed the services to explore the possibility of opening additional roles for women in the military".

But ACLU lawyer Ariela Migdal said the changes so far were "not enough". The lawsuit argues that continuing restrictions violate service women's constitutional rights to equality.

One of the plaintiffs, Marine Corps Capt Zoe Bedell, said existing rules had blocked her advancement in the Marines.

"The military is the last place where you are allowed to be discriminated against because of your gender," she said.

Women account for about 14% of the 1.4 million active US military personnel.

The lawsuit launched on Tuesday says they are barred from 238,000 positions, but also alleges that they are already serving unofficially in combat units.

• Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/11/28 13:59:28
    Women should not be allowed on the battlefield.
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +5
    Do guys really want to see a woman getting blown up or shot to start their day? Do we want footage of female soldiers captured, raped and tortured coming back? We've had it before and it doesn't go over well with most people.

• stevmackey 2012/11/29 02:36:52
    stevmackey
    +1
    Israel found out that some of their best intelligence people are women. Women can be ruthless fighters. I do not understand why they are discriminated against.
  • Rod 2012/11/29 01:39:25
    Rod
    There is no doubt that women are brave and that women can shoot straight and can drive vehicles. But when it comes to dragging me out of harms way if I get injured, or carrying heavy packs or perhaps even fighting hand to hand, women would be more of a hindrance than a help. Women are very capable and just as patriotic as men I know that but there are also hygiene issues to think of along with a women's menstrual time. Women are also more valuable than men. We could get along quite well with fewer men but in order for society to grow we need women. This is not about who is better or more valiant or loves their country more, this is about the practicalities of life.
  • MsTlynne 2012/11/28 18:34:03
    MsTlynne
    As a female veteran, I have mixed feelings about this. While I believe women could perform as efficiently as men in combat, there are hygienic considerations (and not just to be PLEASANT). Menstruating women need to be able to handle their personal needs and those needs may come at inopportune moments. I don’t think we need to risk lives just because someone needed to tend to her sanitary needs while bullets are flying overhead, etc. Opportunities to bathe may be few and far between and women have a few things to clean that men don’t. I've been in extended field situations when female troops were driven every couple of days to a location where we could shower/bathe. Lack of attention to certain areas could cause a stench that would kill our own troops instead of those of the enemy….SERIOUSLY.
    Those are my only concerns about women in combat. Those issues alone could be a huge hindrance. Otherwise, I would say go for it.
  • kevracer 2012/11/28 18:26:02
    There should be no differences between sexes - even on the battlefield.
    kevracer
    +2
    draft women and send them to the front lines
  • Kat ♪ ~... kevracer 2012/11/28 19:38:14
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Seems to be what at least 4 of them want and some of the ones on here.
  • kevracer Kat ♪ ~... 2012/11/28 19:42:09
    kevracer
    +1
    I've always found it remarkably inconsistent that young men in the US must register for the Selective Service but not young women
  • Kat ♪ ~... kevracer 2012/11/28 19:46:54
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    They do it in other countries. Switzerland and Israel require it that I know of. Might not be a bad idea.
  • kevracer Kat ♪ ~... 2012/11/28 19:54:16
    kevracer
    +1
    aim and shoot- seems like a task either sex can do equally well
  • Kat ♪ ~... kevracer 2012/11/28 19:58:20
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    True, some of the specialty stuff would probably still be all male, but if they can find one that can pass the requirements I guess they can do that too.
  • suzzy 2012/11/28 17:51:48
    suzzy
    @@What are your thoughts about women on the battle front?

stay home , do some cooking , cleaning and looking after kids

• Greg Saunders 2012/11/28 17:02:09
    Greg Saunders
    +1
    It think it should be based on merit.
  • Melizmatic 2012/11/28 16:56:34
    Melizmatic
    Fair is fair.

If the female soldiers can do the job on the front lines as efficiently as their male counterparts, then let them engage in combat.
  • John Walker II 2012/11/28 16:39:04
    John Walker II
    +1
    Should be no differences.. but when it's in the field it's not a matter of sex but of capability. A soldier, male or female, who can not drag a wounded ally behind cover or do the same work that is expected of everyone else, is a bit of a problem when the bullets fly and someone does get hit.

The standards should be based on what one can do, not gender. Unfortunately... because of physiological differences, most women can't do the same things in the field a male can. Those who can supersede them, are more then welcome to pick up a rifle.

It's not sexist to acknowledge that a soldier can not drag you out of the line of fire if you are hit or has the mininum required stamina to last through an engagement.

In an ideal world there would be no problems of this kind... but we don't live in the ideal.
  • Kat ♪ ~... John Wa... 2012/11/28 16:51:43
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    You're right, my husband was Navy when they started allowing females on engine room watches, the men didn't want anybody down there that couldn't carry them out and rightfully so.
  • wtxwoman 2012/11/28 16:30:08
    wtxwoman
    +1
    The battlefield is the last bastion of sex discrimination. Until women are allowed in combat, they will never be equal. I've always been for women in combat. I think they would be fierce fighters if taught well.
  • whitewu... wtxwoman 2012/11/28 16:41:35
  • ♥☆ ـــا... whitewu... 2012/11/28 16:53:53
    ♥☆ ـــاطمةfēmàłėفـــــ☆♥
    +1
    Very wise opinion.
  • wtxwoman whitewu... 2012/11/28 18:29:14
    wtxwoman
    +1
    Absolutely!
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/11/28 16:22:30
  • Kat ♪ ~... whitewu... 2012/11/28 16:52:57
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    I agree, and I'm getting bitched at by the guys.
  • whitewu... Kat ♪ ~... 2012/11/28 17:10:04
  • Kat ♪ ~... whitewu... 2012/11/28 17:23:30
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    I do too, also out of all the females in the military this is brought by 4. Wonder what the rest think of it.
    +2
    let them get raped and then cry to the media later about it
    prisoner of war is completely different for a woman and if they knew any better. they would understand that
  • JMCC Mike 2012/11/28 16:51:16
    JMCC
    +3
    In this day and age, a male is just as likely to be raped as a female....
  • ♥☆ ـــا... JMCC 2012/11/28 16:52:43
    ♥☆ ـــاطمةfēmàłėفـــــ☆♥
    +1
    LOOOOL
  • Mike JMCC 2012/11/28 16:52:52
    true, but why would a woman provoke it . i believe the likelihood of rape for women is like 700% higher
  • MsTlynne Mike 2012/11/28 18:36:42
    MsTlynne
    +1
    Rape of men in the military is nothing new. Victims just don't report it because the are embarassed about it. Women don't provoke rape. If it weren't for sanitary considerations, I would be all for women in combat. I am a female, retired army.
  • Mike MsTlynne 2012/11/28 18:39:20
    +1
    nice to see a good opinion on the matter, thanks
  • JMCC Mike 2012/11/28 19:06:49 (edited)
    JMCC
    +1
    I am not so certain that that is the case - especially as rape in this context has nothing at all to do with "sex" (if it ever is), it is more about domination and humiliation...
  • Mike JMCC 2012/11/28 20:46:54
    true , it has been stat. proven that if a woman is there, she will be attacked. animals are animals and they care little for anyone's dignity
  • BHGOzzy 2012/11/28 16:11:47 (edited)
    BHGOzzy
    +4
    Having personally served 12 years, having personally witnessed the bravery and fortitude of female soldiers, and having heard of a female soldier DENIED a Silver Star for gallantry and saving an ENTIRE PLATOON that she was the medic for by taking over the .50 cal of a HWMMV and using it to suppress and drive off the attacking Taliban fighters (the gunner had been shot and killed in an ambush) I see no reason why women should NOT be considered for front line combat.

And like an idiot I clicked the wrong damn button. Please feel free to make fun of me for my error *facepalm*
  • wtxwoman BHGOzzy 2012/11/28 16:31:29
    wtxwoman
    +1
    I agree with you completely. Sorry about the wrong click. That happens to me quite often.
  • BHGOzzy wtxwoman 2012/11/28 16:40:27
    BHGOzzy
    Felt like such an idiot after I looked up when I was done typing and saw which decision had been clicked...
  • Theresa 2012/11/28 15:42:15
    Theresa
    +3
    In today types of war there is no clear and defined "Battle field" Everywhere and Everyone is a target. So with those realities what good is it to designate certain areas as combat zones and other not.
  • Sayer Stewart 2012/11/28 15:41:29
    Sayer Stewart
    +1
    Nobody should be allowed in combat.
  • John Wa... Sayer S... 2012/11/28 16:40:30
    John Walker II
    That's hardly realistic.
  • Kat ♪ ~... John Wa... 2012/11/28 16:54:28
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Probably a 12 year old.
  • ~*~Denai ~*~ 2012/11/28 15:33:13
    ~*~Denai ~*~
    +3
    Females on the battlefield see just as much as the men. It just is not talked about. The Females are not hidden away behind the front lines..they are shoulder and shoulder so often. They go thru similar training, but not allowed to take the training that the men do when it comes to frontline training. Time for a change.
  • JOHN C 2012/11/28 15:29:55
    JOHN C
    +3
    if you want in the military you should serve front line like everyone else
  • rand 2012/11/28 15:06:37
    rand
    +4
    The reality is that there are "differences between sexes". I doubt that any woman will qualify as a Navy Seal during my lifetime. That said/written, women should have equal access to positions (get your mind out of the gutter) for which they qualify, even those on the battlefields.

2014/10/26 07:45:38