US Senator Said Games Are Bigger Problem Than Guns: Video Games Affect More People than Guns?

Fef 2013/01/30 23:00:00
US Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) told NBC News his position on guns and video games. I think video games is a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people. But the First Amendment limits what we can do about video games and the Second Amendment to the Constitution limits what we can do about guns.

ARSTECHNICA.COM reports:Don't worry, he doesn't want to pry your controller from your cold, dead hands.

Read More: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/01/yes-a-us-sen...

• concerned2 2013/01/30 23:53:11
    Yes, games negatively affect more people
    concerned2
    +12
    It's sort of a weird question. Video game junkies spend all their money and time on video games, affecting their relationships, their health, and all aspects of their lives - but usually they don't hit someone over the head with a game killing them....

Gun violence is actually down, according to the FBI statistics - as all violent crime is. Property crime has risen a lot since 2008. So maybe people are stealing video games?....again, odd comparison....

• Lord of None~PWCM~JLA 2013/08/28 02:41:04
    Lord of None~PWCM~JLA
    neither....stupid question.
  • Party Boy [A7X Bat] 2013/05/06 19:04:21
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Party Boy [A7X Bat]
    Videogames can't fire lethal projectiles. Yes, school shooters play violent videogames, but so do normal people. It's people that can't tell the difference between videogames and reality that commit acts of violence and dumbasses who think it's the videogames that are the cause.
  • Dawn 2013/03/01 18:03:15
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Dawn
    Video games are NOT REAL. They are fictional. They allow people to step out of reality and not literally kill anyone.

Reality: Guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people. Not people with X-box controllers.
    This ties in to the second amendment that gives citizens the option of owning a gun. It is their right to be able to bear arms and protect themselves and or others. The police will not always be there EXACTLY when you need them.

Just because one person does something bad with their gun does not mean everyone that owns one is out to go on a murder rampage. Not all car owners drink and drive, but cars are not being banned despite the fact that vehicular accidents kill more people a year than guns do.
  • Palmtree10 2013/02/19 19:10:03
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Palmtree10
    No games don't affect people, that's like saying "This murderer liked eating bananas, therefore there must be a chemical in bananas that make people kill each other. BAN ALL BANANAS!!!!"
  • glen1994 2013/02/18 18:09:18
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    glen1994
    a game does not have the ability to end someones life, but neither does a gun. a person does. so id blame it on young kids playing games that are too old for them, (young kids are easily influenced by media) and as for guns ? they should be banned in the US. you dont need to defend yourself if the other person doesnt have a gun either.
  • ScottM 2013/02/14 20:00:33
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    ScottM
    I want to say this is a loaded question. Guns affect people more negatively in the fact that the people using them can kill other people in real life. Video games can affect people in a negative manner by making them more apathetic towards the outside world.

Guns can be beneficial in the sense that they can be used to protect a person and their family as well as to gather food for a person and their family. Video games can be beneficial as they can help problem solving skills, hand-eye coordination, and can be used as training aides.

Do I think gun related crime is linked to video games? Absolutely not.
  • Michael 2013/02/14 17:16:20
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Michael
    Most people knows that its just a game, and its not real. Games has nothing to do with gun violence. I've played all Grand Theft Auto games, All Call Of Duty Games, All Battlefield games, and I never thought about hurting someone for real. Its the mental condition of these people. Columbine Shooter 's had a history of mental illnesses, Virgina Tech shooter had a history of mental illness's, Aurora movie theater shooter had a history of mental illness's So did the Sandy Hook shooter. Its the mentally ill people. My aunt lets her kids play FPS games, and they have never gotten into trouble, because they know its all fake. Its the person with the gun! Not the video games.

U.S Senator said that? He is nothing but another stupid politician, with nothing better to do then to try and control our lives. Just like the other 100 Senator's, and other type of politicians.
  • TouchTheStars 2013/02/13 15:38:36
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    TouchTheStars
    sorry to say that games don't effect people really to commit violence. that's just something else to blame it on. the shooting in cincinnati was the same way. blame it on games. it's not the cause it's the people and the minds motive
  • TouchTh... TouchTh... 2013/02/13 15:40:39
    TouchTheStars
    also its just a game. your not supposed to compare it to your natural human life. its for things you can't do in the real world
  • joe.mathewson1 2013/02/11 20:13:53
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    joe.mathewson1
    +2
    Neither affect people unless people let them.
  • eyeballz 2013/02/10 04:54:24
    eyeballz
    I think there is a real possibility that is true, and probably the biggest cause in todays social problems . Years before we had this kind of violence in our societies , guns were very prevelent and accessible . In high school my friends and I all hunted and had a gun in every car on a daily basis , our teachers and councilors would talk to us about our guns and ask to see them, sometimes we would hunt before school and sometimes after school . Guns were available , violent video games were not made , so what has changed ? The biggest difference is that monstrously violent video games are in almost every home now .
    40 years ago, lots of guns and a miniscule percentage of violence in our societies.
    Today , still lots of guns, but also lots of violent video games, in almost every home, and being played by children who should be getting their influences from their parents not some inanimate violence factory !
  • ScottM eyeballz 2013/02/14 20:09:11
    ScottM
    There are other factors out there that are different than 40 years ago. There are about 100 million more people in the US today than there was in 1973. Also, that was right before the giant cocaine trend in America which has caused a lot of violence and poverty, which causes more violence. Drugs, and the war on them, is causing quite a bit of violence.

But if you are going to blame the video games, then you also have to blame the music. If you blame the music, then you also have to blame the TV shows. If you're going to blame the TV shows, then you also have to blame the movies. If you blame the movies, then you also have to blame books. When are we going to realize that it's the parents not properly teaching their children that are the ones to blame?

Like you said, your teachers and counselors would talk to you about your guns. Not today. The policy seems to be let everyone else teach my kid as well as out of sight out of mind. I agree that the children should be getting their influences from their parents and not the TV/video game console, but alas, they are. Here's the question. What is the point of having ratings on video games if parents are just going to buy them for the kids anyway?
  • JessDeCristo 2013/02/09 21:17:28
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    JessDeCristo
    Overall no. IF a player is already criminal minded, you can't blame it on the game. IF not, like most, is just a game , something to have fun for a couple of hours.
    Those who claimed theywere affected by the game, were already criminal minded. i do howveer, some do make people have epileptic seizures.
  • republican! 2013/02/09 15:32:13
    republican!
    there should be a neither!!!!!!! guns don't kill people people kill people, and video games don't have a effect on that. its bad parenting, they don't wanna parent their children so they put them on drugs and meds like riddilin, and when they get off of it their mind is all f up
  • yunfan.zhangyoyo 2013/02/09 03:40:39
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    yunfan.zhangyoyo
    neither
  • Nothingful ._. 2013/02/08 21:31:24
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Nothingful ._.
    +2
    How about neither you dicks
  • joshBigBoss 2013/02/07 17:36:35
    joshBigBoss
    Games are less of a tool and more of a message. Messages have far more impact on a person's psyche than tools. Even if someone gets blown away right before your eyes, you fear the person that is holding the gun might pull the trigger, the gun has no power to kill you on it's own.
    I still feel that games are protected by the first amendment, and that enough has been done to keep them out of childrens hands. people need to take more responsibility, and keep violent games away from kids, and maybe focus less on making such gore filled graphically violent games in the future.
    The real problem is the government trying to find more and more ways to control the citizens of this country. They really need to just focus on things like the debt and maintaining highways etc.
  • Tree 2013/02/06 15:31:30
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Tree
    Video games dont affect my relationship with my fiance. We play multiplayer online TOGETHER along with all our other friends. We also havent went out, purchased a gun, and killed anyone. Video games are our way of spending time with each other and brings us closer. Not to mention its a good stress reliever. HALO 4!!!!!!!! FTW!
  • Sterling 2013/02/06 01:47:45
    Sterling
    I don't think either drive people to do crazy things by themselves, but I (as an avid video game player) could see how games could desensitize people to violence. You cannot convince me that games like GTA are good for people's (especially kids) mental health.
  • Sir Bud. 2013/02/05 14:36:13 (edited)
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Sir Bud.
    Especially violent Gun games based on a point system of "Reward and Punishment"which serve as a platform to glorify and accustom the mind with the ownership and use of Guns for profit and adversely disfigure a sane and healthy perception between reality and fantasy causing personal identity disorders.

• Jenna Smith 2013/02/05 08:52:06
  • mylegs 2013/02/05 07:06:13
    mylegs
    Yeah after playing mario I always go around eating mushrooms, stomping turtles, and jumping down pipes. No but seriously its only because games are more popular since they have no "immediate" danger. Also this is only one side of an argument too. Change it to "positively" affect more people and games will blow guns out of the water.
  • Brandon Michaels 2013/02/05 06:28:03 (edited)
    Brandon Michaels
    Neither do, it's poor regulation of these things (actually talking about guns, I mean). I am a hardcore 2A supporter and a heavy gamer, mostly FPS, Third person shooters, including some puzzle games, strategy, etc. I have both and have never had a problem socially (as far as negatively effecting others).

This is sort of a one sided question, because neither of them are correlated to causing acts of violence, but if I could add another category, it'd be prescription drugs. Causes more rampages than any game or gun or even a mentally insane person without their use EVER did, bar-none.

Have a look at this video. It may be eye-opening for you. I didn't know what anti-depressants, etc could do to your brain chemistry before researching it after the sandy hook shooting. Like I said, watch this. If you are anti gun because of these mass shootings, you maybe better off being anti-psycoactive drugs. Problem? Meds kill you and other people legally and are controlled by a lobby far stronger than the pro-gun lobby could ever hope to be.

Heh. You think it's just a coincidence that approx 95% of all mass shooters/killers are on these prescription drugs? It makes you wonder if they would've commited the act without them, and I would probably tell you they wouldn't have. These drugs make you l...

Heh. You think it's just a coincidence that approx 95% of all mass shooters/killers are on these prescription drugs? It makes you wonder if they would've commited the act without them, and I would probably tell you they wouldn't have. These drugs make you lose yourself. You could kill your entire family and not even realise what you just did, until it's too late, and you have your entire family stabbed, shot, or beaten to death before your eyes, wondering why you just did what you did. It's frightening.

• rk 2013/02/05 04:28:00
    rk
    Games do
  • Tree rk 2013/02/06 15:33:15
    Tree
    HOW?
  • rk Tree 2013/02/06 23:21:03
    rk
    Just look at your avatar
  • Tree rk 2013/02/07 01:58:43
    Tree
    Its a cat...a picture of me at halloween as a cat..that wasnt due to video games.
  • Dominique Baxley 2013/02/05 03:32:56
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Dominique Baxley
    I don't know about guns, but games don't negatively affect people. When it comes to violent games, they're more of a stress reliever for me when I get agitated, like a stress-ball.
  • Commrade#371 2013/02/05 00:14:26
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Commrade#371
    +2
    Neither of these ansewers are very good. Guns dont negatively affect people and neither do games. Some people are just messed up
  • Zach 2013/02/04 20:35:36
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    Zach
    There is one logical flaw with the 'Violent video games are to blame arguement' For the one person who happened to have a copy of the game then went on a shooting spree There are hundreds of millions of those that didn't. It's like saying 'That guy wore a baseball hat during the shooting, therefor baseball hats a cause of violence.'

Sure we may throw our controllers at the wall or shout obscenities at the screen. But those are in frustration and it goes away once we calm down.
  • Transquesta 2013/02/04 19:47:53
    Transquesta
    We must be consistent about this! Ban all video games (which depict weapons with magazines capable of holding more than ten rounds) NOW!
  • Tree Transqu... 2013/02/06 15:34:05
    Tree
    +1
    Why...? Thats like insisting on banning military video depicting guns that shoot more than 10 rounds...its just stupid.
  • Transqu... Tree 2013/02/06 18:41:28
    Transquesta
    You're right. It is stupid. I was being facetious. :-)
  • Tree Transqu... 2013/02/06 20:59:44
    Tree
    +1
    Oh :D okies sowwy!
  • Darr247 2013/02/04 17:47:14
    Darr247
    +1
    They should definitely be restricted to age 21 and older. If you want to play soldier before then, join the army.
  • Tree Darr247 2013/02/06 15:34:42
    Tree
    And what? Youre only going to have parents buying the games for the kids. This solves nothing.
  • Mo 2013/02/04 17:09:33 (edited)
    Mo
    +1
    I don't think either of these choices is exactly true, but in terms of "affecting" a person, games are interactive where guns are inanimate. The person who is immersed in an interactive fantasy could be more easily "affected" by that situation than by the simple existence of the gun. There has to be some additional input, and then the crazy has an affect on the firearm.
  • AliasOther 2013/02/04 16:24:08
    No, guns negatively affect more people
    AliasOther
    +1
    so lets cut out the games. the gore movies, all the svu's , criminal minds, most movies, let make action flix illegal, lets make it illegal to have a violent tattoo also.

Let stop people from saying murder and torcher have something to do with sex. Lets make it illegal to do a song about violence too.

Games? really? we have a lot to censor than just games. The fact of the matter is that ...........

85ish of the worlds top serial killers are white.
    8 out of 10 mass shooting where 3 or more people are killed are done by whites.
    S&M; was started by whites.
    White peoples tattoos depict more violence and anti god than any other race.
    Jews who own hollywood makes most of the tv shows and movies about murder, greed or cheating.
    Jews segregate movies into racial stereotypes.
    Black rappers glorify gangsta life and the 9mm in particular.
    Spanish people have the most gang members.
    Asians have the most force prostitution.
    Muslims believe in violence as it is written into the Koran.

Everybody contributes but some contribute more than others.
  • Darr247 AliasOther 2013/02/04 17:51:04
    Darr247
    +1
    No, just restrict them to over 21. While minds are still forming their psyche's, they don't need to be watching perverted porn nor slaughtering people by the hundreds in Call of Duty.
  • AliasOther Darr247 2013/02/04 23:17:39
    AliasOther
    I agree. But it would be some help if the news stopped making killers famous and the movie/show makers find more subjects than just murder or one of the 7 deadly sins to make movies about ( Movies that glorify these acts).
    I know plenty of 16yo who play call of duty and Grand Theft Auto who would never go on a killing spree or an egg throw.

2014/08/30 16:39:32