U.S. Schools Drop Handwriting Requirement: Sensible or Foolish?

Indiana is the latest U.S. state to drop a handwriting requirement from their curriculum, citing that there simply isn't enough time to teach both handwriting and basic typing skills.

Under the core standards - which were released in June 2010 and have been adopted by nearly all U.S. states - there is no requirement for them to [teach handwriting].

Dr Scott Hamilton, an Indiana clinical psychologist, said the time children spend labouring over script could be better used: "From an intuitive standpoint, this makes sense, based on the increasingly digital world into which this generation of children is growing up."

But some would argue there is a direct link between the way people learn and writing. And then there is the obvious:

"How are [children] supposed to know how to sign their names?”

It's a fair question, do you think it's sensible to drop handwriting from our children's school curriculum?

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14121541

• Kigan 2011/07/13 16:34:48
    Foolish
    Kigan
    +11
    Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic.

Reading is being heavily cut out, now writing as well. Arithmetic is still there, though the level is dropping.

Honestly, what idiot actually thinks we've phased writing out SO MUCH that it can be dropped from school curriculums? I use it most days in leisure time alone.

If nothing else, you have a bunch of people who can't even sign their names. Not to mention takes tests, write essays on paper...this is so absurd.

Dr. Scott Hamilton is an idiot, and I bet he writes daily.

• Huskers60 2011/07/14 14:59:11
    Foolish
    Huskers60
    +2
    What do we pay teachers for?????? They are overpaid now because of all the time off for this or that and then all the free-be's they get from the state or city. Pretty soon, we won't need teachers at all, parents will be in charge.. what a way too save money.
  • jimrthy... Huskers60 2011/07/14 16:00:35
    jimrthy BN-0
    +1
    Actually, the self-paced home-school programs available over the internet just keep getting better. These days, a motivated student could easily get a good K-12 education, followed by the equivalent of a Bachelor's in several fields for free.

Brick-and-mortar schools will go the way of the dodo, unless something changes drastically.
  • ApolloNUke 2011/07/14 14:59:07
    Foolish
    ApolloNUke
    +2
    We need the next-generation to be dumb and illiterate enough, so the government can control them better :/
  • Tony 2011/07/14 14:54:44
    Foolish
    Tony
    +1
    HERE'S YOUR CHANCE, ENEMIES! CUT OUR ELECTRICITY AND TEXTING SERVICES!

Let's not be this 'foolish'.
  • maryhanna.mpt 2011/07/14 14:53:23
    Foolish
    maryhanna.mpt
    +2
    I'm working with students just entering college, and I can't READ their handwriting! It looks like a three-year old's scrawl. PLEASE don't drop the requirement - - their really are times when you can't "say it with a keyboard". And we wonder why prescriptions are often misread. Geez!
  • derej 2011/07/14 14:51:34
    Foolish
    derej
    students should not how to write in the first place if there is no any means to expess there need what do they do
  • Leeaqua 2011/07/14 14:50:16 (edited)
    Sensible
    Leeaqua
    +1
    Continuing in the dumbing down of America vein . It gets crazier every year ! And it seems to happen mostly in the conservative run states . Why is that ? I meant to lable this foolish - computer glich, sometimes the page moves if I don't wait for it to settle down.
  • Franklin 2011/07/14 14:50:02
    Foolish
    Franklin
    +4
    farenhight 451 people are not enslaved all at once , but in steps and this is a major step!
  • xcheshirecat 2011/07/14 14:49:37 (edited)
    Foolish
    xcheshirecat
    EDIT : It's about cursive... well yes, it isn't really useful today
  • Witty1 2011/07/14 14:49:34
    Foolish
    Witty1
    Education begins with fundamentals; writing being one of them. Removing a fundamental skill will more than likely result in a weaker education.
  • Doc Witty1 2011/12/19 04:20:42
    Doc
    Today's students can't spell or put together an intelligent sentence - so I guess the need to communicate through writing is becoming passe'. If, on the other hand, they are going to use a keyboard, we had better add two new keys for "like," and "you know." That would be a real timesaver!
  • SW 2011/07/14 14:49:09
    Sensible
    SW
    cursive is as useful as calligraphy or using the abicus. It's a total waste of time except as an art--then take calligraphy because it's cooler. Cursive is a total waste. Just use a cursive font on your ipad. Done. Let me put it this way how much time do you want your kids to spend learning cursive while Japanese kids are in their 2nd year of Calculus?
  • jimrthy... SW 2011/07/14 15:56:59
    jimrthy BN-0
    +3
    I'm willing to bet I can jot down thoughts or notes much more quickly in cursive on paper than the vast majority can type into their ipads. I know for a fact that I cannot take notes anywhere near as effectively using a keyboard (maybe that just means I'm a dinosaur, though).

You *do* remember taking notes, don't you? Or is that obsolete now, too?

Just like an abacus *could* be extremely useful, if taught correctly, in understanding the fundamental principles behind basic mathematics. These days, teachers seem to be totally focused on just teaching procedures instead of explaining "why." Which leaves them horribly handicapped when it comes to understanding higher mathematics where the "why" becomes important.

You have to lay a solid foundation before you can start putting in the stained glass windows.
  • SW jimrthy... 2011/07/15 14:03:16
    SW
    Taking notes can be done just fine in the nice comic sans serif (sp?) we end up writing in. I think kids should learn to print neatly no question --but cursive? It should go the way of the slide rule. Also having kids in grade school now I am very impressed with how they teach math.. They are ahead of where my class was at their age as far as being prepared for higher math.
  • jimrthy... SW 2011/09/12 00:14:41
    jimrthy BN-0
    No, they can't.

They can barely be scribbled down in cursive.

If you're impressed now with the math that kids are learning...I can only hope that they're learning better lessons than I've been told about.
  • HOLLYwo... SW 2011/07/14 15:57:39
    HOLLYwoodUNdeadXx
    This isn't about cursive, it's about being able to write at all with pencil and paper. They're suggesting dropping that entirely and just teaching typing.
  • SW HOLLYwo... 2011/07/15 14:04:04
    SW
    Really? I took it to mean cursive only. If it's dropping writing entirely we're not really ready for that...
  • AdrianMcTiernan 2011/07/14 14:48:22 (edited)
    Foolish
    AdrianMcTiernan
    I suspect a wiser thing is to learn computer keyboard skills in class, and do the writing for homework. There will be a computer program to teach it, where they show you a letter, then you write it with a pen on a sensitive tablet, and it suggests or encourages better, until you have it ok. Then joined up writing for sentences. I use voice recognition software, which is lazy, but saves my aching arthritic fingers. Makes lots of funny mistakes too. Daft software. Too many words sound the same, but spell differently

Does anyone else fear we may move into a sci-fi situation, where people eventually are tied to mobile or home computers, and all interactions done via the machine. Then, when system breaks down, only the writers are able to do much. A bit like middle ages, when the ordinary people could not write, and only the educated could. A peasant would take a written message from an educated person to another, and the reply back - the common people marvelled. Some superstitious dopes thought it was magic - those marks on the paper or vellum meaning things - wow! Some thought them magicians, and this is where the word "Spell" comes from --- just an uneducated person ascribing magical powers to an easily - learned understandable system. We still use the word now, but it has ...

Does anyone else fear we may move into a sci-fi situation, where people eventually are tied to mobile or home computers, and all interactions done via the machine. Then, when system breaks down, only the writers are able to do much. A bit like middle ages, when the ordinary people could not write, and only the educated could. A peasant would take a written message from an educated person to another, and the reply back - the common people marvelled. Some superstitious dopes thought it was magic - those marks on the paper or vellum meaning things - wow! Some thought them magicians, and this is where the word "Spell" comes from --- just an uneducated person ascribing magical powers to an easily - learned understandable system. We still use the word now, but it has mostly come to mean correctly putting the right letters in each word. One of our contributors has misspelt some words while commenting, so there is a need for eduation in it now.

We need a new type of dictionary - the mad thing now is that you need to know how the word is spelled roughly, in order to find it in the dictionary - be good if you could say the word, and it appears, correctly spelt, on a screen before you, with the definition
  • jimrthy... AdrianM... 2011/07/14 15:47:09
    jimrthy BN-0
    You may be totally correct with the analogy about the illiterate peasants in awe of people who knew how to make "magic marks."

As far as the dictionary...better by far if people knew roughly how to spell whatever they were looking for in the first place. Or knew how to look it up in a thesaurus.

Then again, I have to admit that spell-checking makes it *so* easy...except for heterographs, of course.
  • SW jimrthy... 2011/07/15 18:57:59
    SW
    +1
    Heterograph? You're damn right I never even looked at a dude graph! hahahah
  • valleygirl 2011/07/14 14:46:15
    Foolish
    valleygirl
    +2
    Ok I get the world is going all digital but this is just laziness. So fast forward 50 years and what do we have but bunches of young kids that can't do math in their heads without their calculators and unable to write a sentance legibly? This is one of the dumbest things I've heard. Our schools are going down the tube as far as my eye can see and I'm glad we have a great private school option for my kids, otherwise I'd be apt to home school.
  • antoine loup 2011/07/14 14:45:49 (edited)
    Sensible
    antoine loup
    +2
    The paraphrasing that has been used is misleading (as mentioned by another person) it is about dropping cursive from the curriculum. As society evolves certain things are no longer necessary, cursive is one of them.

In fact I would have to say all the people who commented without reading the article or even bothering to check the real facts, shows more about our society then the plan to drop cursive.

The same goes for everyone who has tried to blame a political party for the idea... it goes to show how our education system has done up to this point...
  • valleygirl antoine... 2011/07/14 14:48:59
    valleygirl
    +1
    If that is true then you are right about it being misleading. That changes the story and my answer completely! This would then be akin to phasing out shorthand way back when. Which I must admit I do wish that I had known when I was in college! Of course I guess there is a new short hand called texting.
  • Doc antoine... 2011/07/14 15:13:54
    Doc
    +1
    Our society is evolving in the direction of ignorance. Most students today have no language skills and no historical knowledge. There is already a large segment who haven't figured out how to use a belt to hold their pants up.
  • antoine... Doc 2011/07/22 13:55:55
    antoine loup
    And you are basing the opinion you have provided on what? Do you have some facts that show our society had become more "ignorant"? Do you have any facts that show a decline in the amount of "language skills" or "historical knowledge"? And I mean a decline not just that our population is ignorant in general. Maybe if we took out the cursive and focused on the print, maybe there would be more time to practice "language"... so although you are free to voice your opinion, any facts you have to back them up would surely make your argument much more effective.
  • American_Dream_Lost 2011/07/14 14:44:38
    Foolish
    American_Dream_Lost
    +1
    Didn't think we could get any dumber: This just proves that we can!

What's next, no more spelling test? History class outlawed country wide?

I guess a dumber society is easier to control and manipulate than an intelligent one. This way you can get robbed blind by the government but yet be so dumb you don't care, and actually think its a good thing.
  • Goku90504 2011/07/14 14:44:31
    Sensible
    Goku90504
    +1
    as long as they still teach printing (aka normal writing) i never managed to learn hand writing anyways it was probably a good year of my life wasted on trying
  • Tasia714 2011/07/14 14:43:33
    Foolish
    Tasia714
    Typing is not the only way to communicate. Handwriting should be a requirment , just like reading.
  • jeanne Blue 2011/07/14 14:43:03
    Foolish
    jeanne Blue
    Legibility is a good thing. You are also training your brain..All of the technology is great but it neglects the fact that our brains need the exercise to develop properly. Otherwise they will have a flat effect. A two dimensional world.
  • RubyAndraiyaWhittle 2011/07/14 14:42:26
    Sensible
    RubyAndraiyaWhittle
    +1
    So I thought I was clicking "Undecided" but the cursor was in the wrong place and clicked "Sensible"

If you click on the link at the bottom of the article, the first thing you'll notice is that they're talking about cursive. Not print handwriting, but cursive.... and while I would have loved to not have had to learn cursive in 4th grade, I know now that learning cursive was a good thing.

If you don't know the basics of cursive, how will you sign your name? How will you be able to read something that is written in cursive?

Learning cursive sucks. It does. No "if"s, "and"s or "but"s about it. But knowing cursive is a whole lot better than not knowing cursive. What are they going to do when it comes to signing you name? Have a special class(in which you only know how to sign your name and no other letters)for that?
  • jimrthy... RubyAnd... 2011/07/14 15:39:09
    jimrthy BN-0
    Sign in block script? Or maybe RFID chips implanted in our foreheads?
  • JOJO 2011/07/14 14:41:55
    Foolish
    JOJO
    +1
    Having had to read students' handwriting over the years, I can tell you that it has deteriorated into a mess. It doesn't take that long to teach cursive. What I don't understand is when I write something on the board in cursive and I get complaints that the students can't read it. What is with that? There are some studies that link cursive, printing and mental abilities.
  • RobertRowe 2011/07/14 14:41:19
    Foolish
    RobertRowe
    +2
    another repub/democ destruction plan, shut down the 200+ military bases on foreign soil and we'll then have more than enough money for scool to improve, free healthcare, infrastructure improvement and balance the budget. WAKE UP PARTYBOTS!!!!!
  • mollinator 2011/07/14 14:32:28
    Foolish
    mollinator
    of course one needs to know how to write! yes, the technological age is rapidly expanding, but we shouldn't throw away skills (that might not be needed in hundreds of years). how on earth is one supposed to write? and going hand in hand with that, read?
  • Sinful Minded 2011/07/14 14:29:20 (edited)
    Foolish
    Sinful Minded
    FOOLISH plain and simple... the time that they spend laboring over learning it give a sense of accomplishment... one of the many small things that equate to the larger picture... AND unless the rest of the world follows suit then the people of the USA will be alienated from the rest of the world...
  • jimrthy... Sinful ... 2011/07/14 15:36:53
    jimrthy BN-0
    +1
    I wonder if that alienation is a big part of the point?
  • RubenRibnik 2011/07/14 14:22:44
    Foolish
    RubenRibnik
    The state of Indiana need to stop playing politics and teach the children, from what it says they are not alone, the heads of state education should be fired and replaced with people who have the kids BEST intrests in mind not the states.
  • antoine... RubenRi... 2011/07/14 14:51:15
    antoine loup
    How is it politics to drop cursive writing?
  • Chip 2011/07/14 14:21:47
    Foolish
    Chip
    +1
    At first I was going to click "sensible", because I thought this article was going to be about dropping cursive, but after realizing it wasn't there's no way you could answer anything but "foolish".
  • DonFoust Chip 2011/07/14 14:49:50
    DonFoust
    It is about cursive

2014/10/01 18:35:29