U.S. Schools Drop Handwriting Requirement: Sensible or Foolish?

Indiana is the latest U.S. state to drop a handwriting requirement from their curriculum, citing that there simply isn't enough time to teach both handwriting and basic typing skills.

Under the core standards - which were released in June 2010 and have been adopted by nearly all U.S. states - there is no requirement for them to [teach handwriting].

Dr Scott Hamilton, an Indiana clinical psychologist, said the time children spend labouring over script could be better used: "From an intuitive standpoint, this makes sense, based on the increasingly digital world into which this generation of children is growing up."

But some would argue there is a direct link between the way people learn and writing. And then there is the obvious:

"How are [children] supposed to know how to sign their names?”

It's a fair question, do you think it's sensible to drop handwriting from our children's school curriculum?

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14121541

• Kigan 2011/07/13 16:34:48
    Foolish
    Kigan
    +11
    Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic.

Reading is being heavily cut out, now writing as well. Arithmetic is still there, though the level is dropping.

Honestly, what idiot actually thinks we've phased writing out SO MUCH that it can be dropped from school curriculums? I use it most days in leisure time alone.

If nothing else, you have a bunch of people who can't even sign their names. Not to mention takes tests, write essays on paper...this is so absurd.

Dr. Scott Hamilton is an idiot, and I bet he writes daily.

Sensible
    In the early beginnings of our country, the privileged could go to school, but often what was offered wasn't really helpful once they wanted work. These included learning Latin... or other dead, useless skills. Handwriting doesn't seem that feasible now that we have computers. Sure, it's beautiful... but how many of us actually write cursvie the way we were taught. How many remember how to write the letter Q or X? Or Z, even? Does it even matter? Most of us end up writing in a combination of cursive (handwriting) and regular printing. So, education should change with the times, I think.
  • doodle ... Andrew 2011/07/14 23:40:53
    doodle BN-0
    +3
    "How many of us remember how to write the letter Q or X? Or Z, even?" -raises hand-
  • DAC281991 Andrew 2011/07/15 04:59:13
    DAC281991
    +2
    Learning how to properly write allows us to put our own touch to it. That's why everyone's signatures are different. But, not learning it EVER will get rid of that uniqueness and identification from that person. Our own signature is special and ours alone. Mine is different from everyone else. And, I wouldn't be able to make my signature if I was never taught it in elementary school. That's what this is taking away: children being taught how to write just because typing is more feasible
  • Luke Warga 2011/07/14 23:05:31
    Sensible
    Luke Warga
    handwriting = cursive

learn to read folks >_<

printing = the type of "writing" you're thinking of.
  • DiniMiller 2011/07/14 23:02:12
    Foolish
    DiniMiller
    +2
    Can you imagine seeing the John Hancock signature in childlike printing on the Constitution? Once a child learns how to print, it doesn't take years to teach them cursive. It's a very easy transition to hook the letters together & voila - they are writing. Most kids know a computer keyboard fairly well by the time they are 5. Very foolish to drop handwriting in schools.
  • Leonce 2011/07/14 22:37:52
    Foolish
    Leonce
    +2
    The only thing that is foolish are the authorities who thought this up in the first place.
  • RandyB 2011/07/14 22:29:29
    Foolish
    RandyB
    +2
    One day all of our technology will fail. I say this with certainty because nothing lasts forever and all good things, ultimately, come to an end. So even if your the most skilled typist or the fastest "touch-pad text-er", when the lights go out you'll need to be able to write. Let's not continue to "dumb-down" our kids just because it seems like the expedient thing to do right now.
  • Shazzy 2011/07/14 22:28:29
    Foolish
    Shazzy
    +1
    This is crazy. This is how kids learn to type and spell. How many kindergarten kids are going to start up a computer and know how to print and save a document?
  • 333qaz333 2011/07/14 22:04:48
    Sensible
    333qaz333
    This is a misleading question.. if you click the link it clarifies that by "handwriting" they actually just mean "cursive". So the only requirement that is being dropped is the need for schools to teach cursive, they are not getting rid of handwriting all together.

So to answer the real question - yes I think it's sensible. In today's society, making sure kids learn to type is (in my opinion) more important than making sure kids learn cursive.
  • CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/07/14 22:00:47
    Foolish
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Teachers Unions at work so the teachers don't have to.
  • Zalethon 2011/07/14 21:39:29
    Sensible
    Zalethon
    +2
    Cursive is utterly useless in today's society. Excepting signatures, who uses it?

That is what they mean when they say handwriting.
  • twisted-irony 2011/07/14 21:02:23
    Foolish
    twisted-irony
    +2
    Whatever. If my kids don't have the opportunity to learn how to actually WRITE, I'll teach them myself. :) Writing by hand IS becoming a thing of the past, but I think there's still a legitimate use for it, such as signing legal documents and stuff like that. [/sarcasm] Honestly, handwriting is very distinctive to a person and I've always been fascinated by the fact that kids can be taught by the same teachers, but ultimately, their handwriting is very different from their peers. I suppose we must all be the same from now on and TYPE our words with the same font instead of write them with individual flair.
  • GayLee 2011/07/14 21:01:41
    Foolish
    GayLee
    +2
    DISCIPLINE IS ALWAYS WORTH IT IN THE END. DISCIPLINE IN OUR SOCIETY IS LACKING AT BEST.
  • sabre2th1 2011/07/14 20:56:54
    Foolish
    sabre2th1
    +1
    totally... I mean how else they gonna learn how to write, right?
  • hari 2011/07/14 20:49:38
    hari
    +1
    When Handwriting was the part of curriculum the study was limited right from beginning. There were no computers or digital writing . In 21 century communication became faster syllabus to study vivid subjects is increased , hence , significance of Hand writing is not essential as it was in olden days , now time for study devoted for more significant areas
  • sassyleader 2011/07/14 20:48:54
    Foolish
    sassyleader
    +2
    hahahhaha......sorry i had to laugh....its just that i just realized that america finally hit their limit,...thier brain is so full they cant process to understand why writing/reading is important.bet they use computers to solve that.i finished school learning both and it wasnt too much at all.besides..kids can learn typin on their own.my 7 yr old sister goes on the computer on her own and types things and plays games.she asks for help on spelling things not asking me where a letter is on the keyboard.i have thought her how to read and write ...she aready knew the abc before going to kinder.,i want her to be smart..not like these idiots these days....i was a volunteer helper for a year..and know for sure that kids need more time learning to read and write then stupid typing!with all the technology these days.kids r already using the keyboard before learning to read/write..so stop this nonsense!
  • sabre2th1 sassyle... 2011/07/14 20:58:15
    sabre2th1
    haha too right bro, they are like the smartest nation in the world now?
  • AnnetteCarolBailey 2011/07/14 20:48:11
    Foolish
    AnnetteCarolBailey
    +1
    When you sign an application for a credited card, it requires a what: SIGNATURE=HANDWRITING! And what happens when Mr./Ms. Computer has a minor malfuntion, how will children write on that thing called paper and write their name, date,and subject matter! I love you guys-I believe I made my case!!! :)
  • bandelee 2011/07/14 20:36:26
    Foolish
    bandelee
    +2
    Can technology fail? and if it does what then? Not enough time are you serious?
  • koolkat 2011/07/14 20:16:37
    Foolish
    koolkat
    +1
    Some kids can't write good and some kids parents don't hav the time to help:(
  • SirJim 2011/07/14 20:14:13
  • ELSD 2011/07/14 20:06:49
    Foolish
    ELSD
    +2
    what are these kids to do when they have to sign his/her name, or write something etc...it is not prudent to rob kids of learning!!!!
  • Issss 2011/07/14 19:50:08
    Foolish
    Issss
    +2
    How foolish, it's important to be able to at least READ cursive writing as it's so commonly used!
  • Tom Roberts 2011/07/14 19:46:51
    Foolish
    Tom Roberts
    This would only work if you furnished ALL children with a word processor or computer from first grade on!
  • disclaimer 2011/07/14 19:44:13
    Foolish
    disclaimer

For lack of a better response. This is what's going to happen.
  • RandyB disclaimer 2011/07/14 22:35:31
  • disclaimer RandyB 2011/07/15 05:25:44
    disclaimer
    +1
    Although I don't think that's what Florence was writing about, but she got it spot on.
  • momma24 2011/07/14 19:40:49
    Foolish
    momma24
    +3
    Another thing I need to teach my daughter because of the school's FAILURE to teach the kids anything useful anymore. The more I hear about how America is getting rid of things we need, and letting the kids turn into mini snooki's and Paris Hiltons i'm sickened to be raising her in a place where you can be the dumbest person but your looks and how greedy you are get you everywhere.
  • jeepster4 2011/07/14 19:39:42
    Sensible
    jeepster4
    Penmanship will now join the use of a slide rule as obsolete and not worth a students time to learn.What note taking needs to be done, can use easily taught printing, thus leaving more time available for touch use of a keyboard.
  • Chef Bunyan 2011/07/14 19:33:17
    Foolish
    Chef Bunyan
    +2
    Which Leftist IDIOT came up with this bovine feces!
  • Zalethon Chef Bu... 2011/07/14 21:38:42
    Zalethon
    get out
  • RandyB Chef Bu... 2011/07/14 22:38:06
    RandyB
    +1
    Undoubtedly one of Obama's Soviet appointees. They specialize in Stupid, America Undermining, Crap.
  • studiob... RandyB 2011/07/17 08:02:22
  • RandyB studiob... 2011/07/17 20:25:27
    RandyB
    +1
    I love that! Thanks, I'll spread it around. Randy
  • studiob... RandyB 2011/07/18 08:30:07
  • Dawn Jacquelyn 2011/07/14 19:29:14
    Foolish
    Dawn Jacquelyn
    +2
    Handwriting is important - they should not drop it.
  • CuresCancer 2011/07/14 19:23:43
    Foolish
    CuresCancer
    OTOH, it will provide more time for homosexual studies. /sarcasm.
  • erin 2011/07/14 19:09:11 (edited)
    Foolish
    erin
    +2
    Give me a break! As a 6th grade teacher, my students are required to write EVERYTHING, except for math, in cursive. Great practice and they learn to have beautiful cursive. If I can't read it, it gets redone. Bottom line, not requiring students to not learn cursive is another example of our educational system believing our children are not capable of learning more than just taking standardized test.
  • Iman Kamal 2011/07/14 18:53:34
    Foolish
    Iman Kamal
    +2
    we need handwitwng everday everywhere how could we live with it
  • DreamMabel 2011/07/14 18:52:51
    Foolish
    DreamMabel
    +3
    I believe there is enough time, I am a student at a U.S. Middle School. How about cutting out some of those unneeded teacher workdays and start teaching what needs to be taught. Or using the time after testing, at the end of the year, to teach typing. Most kids teach typing to themselves and when you get to Middle School you have a class that you have to take for typing.
    Typing is just like writing, except you are pushing buttons instead of really doing the work, kids can teach themselves. I know that I didn't listen in typing class, when I was in elementary school, and now I can type almost seventy words per minute, according to my typing teacher.
    In the end you should teach writing before typing. That's just how it should go.

2014/12/20 08:02:43