U.S. Drops to 18th in Global Economic-Freedom Rankings: Are You Worried?

Fef 2012/09/21 19:00:00
The Fraser Institute report smacked U.S.A. down from 8th place a decade ago. Big government policies and a trend to more regulations by Washington, D.C. has dropped America out of the top 10.

The report blasts American policies in regard to freedom: The United States, long considered the standard bearer for economic freedom among large industrial nations, has experienced a substantial decline in economic freedom during the past decade.
WND.COM reports:
The United States has slipped to 18th in the world when it comes to economic freedom, according to an annual ranking of nations issued by the Fraser Institute.
wnd reports free press free people 1997

Read More: http://www.wnd.com/2012/09/u-s-drops-to-no-18-in-g...

• txDON'T... cesspool 2012/09/23 19:58:00
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +1
    A damning expose of the Federal Reserve, I appreciate your taking the time to Copy & Paste or type this scandalous history for all SH members to digest.

Thank you cesspool.
  • Grandpa 2012/09/23 13:24:14
    Yes, I'm worried
    Grandpa
    +2
    With a lyeing president who can't keep his word to those who put him in office, as he promised to cut the previous debt in HAlf instead HE INCRESED OUR DEBT by 6 Trillion in 3.5 years >> Who knows where 4 more years of lies will bring us ????? VOTE WISE IN 2012
  • ♥K14 2012/09/23 13:14:27
    No, I'm not worried
    ♥K14
    I'm more Glad.
  • mblack 2012/09/23 12:23:56
    No, I'm not worried
    mblack
    +1
    Why should anyone be worried about a rating from a socialist think tank? How many 'made in Canada' imprints do you see on your clothing, electronics, or produce?
  • Broddy 2012/09/23 11:16:23
    No, I'm not worried
    Broddy
    +2
    No, i am not worried we have not become a 3rd world nation yet that's why Obama needs 4 more years to finish what he started.
  • Carlo 2012/09/23 11:12:06
    Yes, I'm worried
    Carlo
    +2
    Just wait til they stop basing all currency on the dollar's value.
  • yabbadabbadoo 2012/09/23 09:11:14
    Yes, I'm worried
    yabbadabbadoo
    +1
    if you arent you should be
  • Booッ 2012/09/23 07:25:38
    Yes, I'm worried
    Booッ
    +2
    Doesn't look like this economic problem is going to be temporary.. Unless the USA finds some foreign country which cansustain itself and help recover another country, it's going to be very, very hard to get out of this crisis.
  • Nick 2012/09/23 03:12:48
    No, I'm not worried
    Nick
    +1
    People can color stats anyway they want them to look.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/09/23 03:08:17
    Yes, I'm worried
    Margaret Jacobson
    +3
    Where are the good jobs,education, safe borders,what happened to our NATIONAL SPIRIT AND UNITY ?? In a country where "immigrants" do not have to learn ENGLISH ?? Where almost all signs are in 2 languages ? Where American young people want to work at doing nails, work at McDonalds, do no homework, have virtually no interest in the pursuit of knowledge ??
  • Odinsown 2012/09/23 02:54:44
    Yes, I'm worried
    Odinsown
    +2
    The Government is planning to print 40B(Thats a Billion) a month until things turn around.That is 480 billion dollars a year, we should all be worried.
  • Tic-Toc 2012/09/23 02:36:54
    Yes, I'm worried
    Tic-Toc
    +1
    And why is that? It didn't happen over night, that's for sure.
  • nofrills 2012/09/23 02:27:49
    Yes, I'm worried
    nofrills
    +4
    This election is going to expose one of the big flaws in the Cloward & Piven strategy, the fact that they didn't truly understand the American people. If you overload an unprepared nation you can then replace the govt. If you overload the United States, we the people will fight back. Obama has done enough to trigger the knee jerk reaction in the people and he will get kicked out of office. I think the coming generations will become more aware of the dangers of overspending and diminished liberties, and strengthen the values of responsibility and freedom.
    Time to put this inept prez far from the w/h..he has done irreparable damage.
  • txDON'T... nofrills 2012/09/23 20:04:37
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +1
    I believe that impeachment can reverse some of the damage, but Voted Out won't get those bills overturned. :(
  • YouSirName 2012/09/23 01:54:28 (edited)
    Yes, I'm worried
    YouSirName
    Wikipedia: According to journalist Murray Dobbin, 31% of the Fraser Institute's revenue come from corporations and 57% from "business-oriented charitable foundations" such as the right-wing Donner Foundation and the free-market-oriented John Dobson Foundation.[15] In addition, a report stated that Fraser Institute received $120 000 in funding from oil giant ExxonMobil.[16] During 2008-2010, the US-based Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation and the Claude R. Lambe Foundation, both under the control of billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch, provided a total of US$500,000 to the Fraser Institute.[17][18]

However, even accounting for their bias, there is no question that the U.S. has been on a downward economic path due to republican policies under Bush and to the willingness of the current republicans in congress to let the country go to hell for the sake of politics. My worry is that they will drink their own kool-aid and continue this opposition even after the election.
  • hatter YouSirName 2012/09/23 04:37:02
    hatter
    +2
    What the heck you talking about. Its this anti business union and demacrat tactics. All this regulation on small business. Somebody always tellling you what you can or can't do. And how many hands in cookie jar before you get yourown cookies.
  • nat75 2012/09/23 00:04:53
    No, I'm not worried
    nat75
    those who blame obama, they said usa fell 10 spots in last decade obama was only there for 4 of the 10 years.
  • Tic-Toc nat75 2012/09/23 22:57:59
    Tic-Toc
    And if he gets 4 more years, how far down will we go?
  • ProVega 2012/09/22 23:55:29
    Yes, I'm worried
    ProVega
    +2
    Sorry I meant to click...

no
  • sean 2012/09/22 23:53:08
    No, I'm not worried
    sean
    +1
    because its all over..when people are eating rice with arsenic 3 times a day, like in 3rd world countries..then some of you might wake up...OOPS..TOO LATE ALREADY..GO BACK TO SLEEP.
  • Bilingual required sucks 2012/09/22 23:37:20 (edited)
    No, I'm not worried
    Bilingual required sucks
    +1
    Why don't you name the countries in the top ten Jason? In fact why don't you publish the entire list? I see the US in 10th place on the 2012 list published by the Heritage Foundation. Taiwan is in 18th place.

http://www.heritage.org/index...
  • nat75 Bilingu... 2012/09/23 01:15:44
    nat75
    that is a different list than the one above, in the one above the usa isnt in the top 10, the one in the story goes like this

his year’s index shows that Hong Kong retains the highest rating for economic freedom, 8.90 out of 10. The other top 10 nations are: Singapore (8.69); New Zealand (8.36); Switzerland (8.24); Australia (7.97); Canada (7.97); Bahrain (7.94); Mauritius (7.90); Finland (7.88) and Chile (7.84).

The rankings of other large economies in this year’s index are:

12. United Kingdom (7.75)

18. United States (7.69)

20. Japan (7.64)

31. Germany (7.52)

47. France (7.32)

83. Italy (6.77)

91. Mexico (6.66)

95. Russia (6.56)

105. Brazil (6.37)

107. China 6.35); and

111. India (6.26).
  • Bilingu... nat75 2012/09/23 01:31:53
    Bilingual required sucks
    Actually it is a more realistic list. The Fraser Institute are complete nutcases.
  • nat75 Bilingu... 2012/09/23 01:56:46
    nat75
    ok, i dont really care much either list, but why do you say one is better than the other? do you mean by the way they came up with the lists or just because you think one is better than the other? lol
  • ZenerSix 2012/09/22 22:43:31
    No, I'm not worried
    ZenerSix
    What economic freedom?
  • Radlad 2012/09/22 22:42:48
    Yes, I'm worried
    Radlad
    +1
    ........but what worries me most is that the cause of this fall obama will get re-elected and cause an even farther fall of all freedoms. Thanks to a "free press" in the US that acts more like barry's propaganda machine than keeping the people informed......
  • BigD_U.S.M."HD"Vet. 2012/09/22 22:23:58
    Yes, I'm worried
    BigD_U.S.M."HD"Vet.
    +1
    GODdamned FED! (a Privately-Owned, Non-Government Agency of the U.S.A Federal Government!! ++ More...
  • urwutuis 2012/09/22 21:29:43
    No, I'm not worried
    urwutuis
    +2
    The Fraser Institute? Give me a break
  • Osama McDonalds 2012/09/22 21:09:08
    No, I'm not worried
    Osama McDonalds
    +1
    The reason I am not worried is because this ranking can be influenced by MANY different factors and, without doing any deeper research, we really can't judge the accuracy of this ranking without knowing which factors were examined. For instance, how does expanded corporate control (think WalMart) over certain sectors of the economy influence economic freedom? Does corporations closing down operations domestically and moving operations overseas (so as to increase profits) affect the buying / investing power of Americans? I looked up 'economic freedom' and, it seems, there are different definitions of this and different methods for measuring it. So, yea, I'm not concerned about it because it could be hogwash. "Statistics don't lie but statisticians make the best liars"
  • Osama M... Osama M... 2012/09/22 21:18:19
    Osama McDonalds
    +1
    I just did a little research on the organization behind this study, the Fraser Institute: They're a Canadian conservative think tank, described as being 'libertarian' to 'extreme right wing'. Against gun controls in Canada, tried to discredit the anti-tobacco scientists and science papers, and were criticized for getting funding from Exxon-Mobil, and reported that minimum wage legislation in Canada be abolished. I guess setting a minimum wage restricts economic freedom (of businesses). LOL. On the opposite end, they support the legalization of marijuana. Check 'em out, make your own judgement.
  • Radlad Osama M... 2012/09/22 22:57:25
    Radlad
    +1
    I've said before when looking a the source of the information will determine if you trust it or not. You asked----"For instance, how does expanded corporate control (think WalMart) over certain sectors of the economy influence economic freedom? Does corporations closing down operations domestically and moving operations overseas (so as to increase profits) affect the buying / investing power of Americans?"---- Why not ask "WHY" they're moving overseas? Ya' think it might have to do with the current administration's war on business the heavy tax burden and regulations. Making America not a profitable place for making money. And though I don't smoke even before the studies came out about the problems caused by tobacco. People knew it wasn't good for you and they were referred as "nails in your coffin". and I'm against gun control too. So the things you sited only caused me to believe they know what they are talking about..........
  • Osama M... Radlad 2012/09/22 23:30:26
    Osama McDonalds
    +1
    Yes, yes Radlad. I have considered why a company might want to move overseas and not stay in the USA. Have you?

Here are a few reasons why:

1) they can pay $2/hr or cheaper ($5 a DAY in Mexico) for labor in a 3rd world country whereas, in the USA, that darned minimum wage thing keeps them from paying hard working Americans less than $8/hr. Do you suggest we try an match Malaysian or Vietnamese labor rates in order for multi-billion-dollar profit making Nike to love us again and bring their shoe factories back to America?

2) There is less pollution regulation. Those darn US law and regulation cost those corporate paper mills and other industries so much money to make sure USA water and air is clean. Why not just save MILLIONS and MILLIONS and move to China where they don't care as much..as long as the local Communist government reps get their payola. So, should we just allow American industries to regulate themselves...yea, maybe if we let them throw out the air filters and stop checking on water quality...maybe then we will be attractive to the bottom line of their shareholders. You think?

3) Health Insurance. Those darn laws that force businesses to offer medical plans to their employees REALLY are annoying and cut heavily into corporate profit margins. Instead, why...

Here are a few reasons why:

3) Health Insurance. Those darn laws that force businesses to offer medical plans to their employees REALLY are annoying and cut heavily into corporate profit margins. Instead, why not go to countries like Mexico where the government subsidizes health care so they can pay those annoying costs and we can fatten up our bottom line? Sure. Maybe if the USA would just get government supported health care for all its workers, maybe then all those American companies like Johnson and Johnson and Delphi Automotive will shut down their plants on the Mexico side of the border and bring those jobs back where they started.

Maybe if we just lower our living standards and bend over farther and farther...I'm sure we can bring back those jobs to America and have more 'economic freedom'. Don't you think so Radlad?
  • Bilingu... Osama M... 2012/09/23 01:38:00
    Bilingual required sucks
    +1
    Excellent post.
  • hatter Osama M... 2012/09/23 04:55:44
    hatter
    +1
    How is adding more cost to business make more jobs which.would then raise the pay due to competition. What I really think is the fed is outta money and they have no choice but to print whatever billion per month to pay all these state workers and policeing. All this money.they print is gonna raise inflation. America stuping to a new low. I blame unions and lawmakers
  • kmay 2012/09/22 20:38:05
    Yes, I'm worried
    kmay
    +1
    Pathetic! We need to get rid of Obama.

Get the vote out R's!
  • Ledford kmay 2012/09/23 03:56:38
    Ledford
    It is sad that the media have the american people so brainwashed that Romney will be any different. Those that voted for Obama thought that he would be different than bush...ooops didn't happen. Obama is no different than bush, romney is no different than obama. Keep eating what they are feeding. No change will come until the majority of the populace WTFU!!!
  • kmay Ledford 2012/09/23 12:10:11
    kmay
    Obama was worse than Bush and we cannot 4 more years of this man. Romney will be better in the long run. 'We the people' are the government.
  • WinterLynn 2012/09/22 19:44:44
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/09/22 18:53:12
    No, I'm not worried
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    How do they define freedom?
  • Osama M... JCD aka... 2012/09/22 21:19:51
    Osama McDonalds
    +1
    That was the first thing that came to my mind.

2014/08/21 04:24:33