US Attack Kills 5 Afghan Kids

Son Of Anubis™ 2012/05/10 15:34:55
Who Cares, After All They Are Just Afghans!
More Obama Drone Strikes Which Are Illegal And Kill Innocents On A Regular Basis
This Is The Kind Of Thing We Can Expect From Obama's Drones Over The US
And The US Government Wonders 'Why' They Keep Being Targeted By 'Radicals'

The way in which the U.S. media ignores such events speaks volumes about how we perceive them

By

• Yesterday, I noted several reports from Afghanistan that as many as 20 civilians were killed by two NATO airstrikes, including a mother and her five children. Today, the U.S. confirmed at least some of those claims, acknowledging and apologizing for its responsibility for the death of that family:

The American military claimed responsibility and expressed regret for an airstrike that mistakenly killed six members of a family in southwestern Afghanistan, Afghan and American military officials confirmed Monday.

The attack, which took place Friday night, was first revealed by the governor of Helmand Province, Muhammad Gulab Mangal, on Monday. His spokesman, Dawoud Ahmadi, said that after an investigation they had determined that a family home in the Sangin district had been attacked by mistake in the American airstrike, which was called in to respond to a Taliban attack. . . . The victims were the family’s mother and five of her children, three girls and two boys, according to Afghan officials.

This happens over and over and over again, and there are several points worth making here beyond the obvious horror:

(1) To the extent these type of incidents are discussed at all — and in American establishment media venues, they are most typically ignored — there are certain unbending rules that must be observed in order to retain Seriousness credentials. No matter how many times the U.S. kills innocent people in the world, it never reflects on our national character or that of our leaders. Indeed, none of these incidents convey any meaning at all. They are mere accidents, quasi-acts of nature which contain no moral information (in fact, the NYT article on these civilian deaths, out of nowhere, weirdly mentioned that “in northern Afghanistan, 23 members of a wedding celebration drowned in severe flash flooding” — as though that’s comparable to the U.S.’s dropping bombs on innocent people). We’ve all been trained, like good little soldiers, that the phrase “collateral damage” cleanses and justifies this and washes it all way: yes, it’s quite terrible, but innocent people die in wars; that’s just how it is. It’s all grounded in America’s central religious belief that the country has the right to commit violence anywhere in the world, at any time, for any cause.

At some point — and more than a decade would certainly qualify — the act of continuously killing innocent people, countless children, in the Muslim world most certainly does reflect upon, and even alters, the moral character of a country, especially its leaders. You can’t just spend year after year piling up the corpses of children and credibly insist that it has no bearing on who you are. That’s particularly true when, as is the case in Afghanistan, the cause of the war is so vague as to be virtually unknowable. It’s woefully inadequate to reflexively dismiss every one of these incidents as the regrettable but meaningless by-product of our national prerogative. But to maintain mainstream credibility, that is exactly how one must speak of our national actions even in these most egregious cases. To suggest any moral culpability, or to argue that continuously killing children in a country we’re occupying is morally indefensible, is a self-marginalizing act, whereby one reveals oneself to be a shrill and unSerious critic, probably even a pacifist. Serious commentators, by definition, recognize and accept that this is merely the inevitable outcome of America’s supreme imperial right, note (at most) some passing regret, and then move on.

(2) Yesterday — a week after it leaked that it was escalating its drone strikes in Yemen — the Obama administration claimed that the CIA last month disrupted a scary plot originating in Yemen to explode an American civilian jet “using a more sophisticated version of the underwear bomb deployed unsuccessfully in 2009.” American media outlets — especially its cable news networks — erupted with their predictable mix of obsessive hysteria, excitement and moral outrage. CNN’s Wolf Blitzer last night devoted the bulk of his show to this plot, parading the standard cast of characters — former Bush Homeland Security adviser (and terrorist advocate) Fran Townsend and its “national security analyst” Peter Bergen — to put on their Serious and Concerned faces, recite from the U.S. Government script, and analyze all the profound implications. CNN even hauled out Rep. Peter King to warn that this shows a “new level” of Terror threats from Yemen. CNN’s fixation on this plot continued into this morning.

Needless to say, the fact that the U.S. has spent years and years killing innocent adults and children in that part of the world — including repeatedly in Yemen — was never once mentioned, even though it obviously is a major factor for why at least some people in that country support these kinds of plots. Those facts are not permitted to be heard. Discussions of causation — why would someone want to attack a U.S. airliner? – is an absolute taboo, beyond noting that the people responsible are primitive and hateful religious fanatics. Instead, it is a simple morality play reinforced over and over: Americans are innocently minding their own business — trying to enjoy our Freedoms — and are being disgustingly targeted with horrific violence by these heinous Muslim Terrorists whom we must crush (naturally, the solution to the problem that there is significant anti-American animosity in Yemen is to drop even more bombs on them, which will certainly fix this problem).

Indeed, on the very same day that CNN and the other cable news networks devoted so much coverage to a failed, un-serious attempt to bring violence to the U.S. — one that never moved beyond the early planning stages and “never posed a threat to public safety” — it was revealed that the U.S. just killed multiple civilians, including a family of 5 children, in Afghanistan. But that got no mention. That event simply does not exist in the world of CNN and its viewers (I’d be shocked if it has been mentioned on MSNBC or Fox either). Nascent, failed non-threats directed at the U.S. merit all-hands-on-deck, five-alarm media coverage, but the actual extinguishing of the lives of children by the U.S. is steadfastly ignored (even though the latter is so causally related to the former).

This is the message sent over and over by the U.S. media: we are the victims of heinous, frightening violence; our government must do more, must bomb more, must surveil more, to Keep Us Safe; we do nothing similar to this kind of violence because we are Good and Civilized. This is how our Objective, Viewpoint-Free journalistic outlets continuously propagandize: by fixating on the violence done by others while justifying — or, more often, ignoring — the more far-reaching and substantial violence perpetrated by the U.S.

(3) If one of the relatives of the children just killed in Afghanistan decided to attack the U.S. — or if one of the people involved in this Yemen-originating plot were a relative of one of the dozens of civilians killed by Obama’s 2009 cluster bomb strike — what would they be called by the U.S. media? Terrorists. Primitive, irrational, religious fanatics beyond human decency.

* * * * *

This point cannot be emphasized enough.

• Opinionated...Oh Well!!! 2012/05/11 02:45:04
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    +2
    terrorist photos How many innocent lives do you think were lost by this terrorist act??? Any takers??? Oh and guess what it was not from a drone.
  • D'eath 2012/05/10 18:02:56
    D'eath
    +1
    Well that's what this story tells me.

Kill Em All their just Afghanis.

And in any case we didn't do it.

It was the Drones, they are unmaned aren't they?

Well err! no not actually, there are teenage kids with joystick driving them thousands of miles away.

Watch out you brave soldiers you might break a nail.
  • Opinion... D'eath 2012/05/11 02:27:55
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    +1
    Those drone help and have helped save soldiers lives from hmm lets see suicide bombers road side bombs, kids strapped or throwing bombs, people placing bombs to make strikes against soldiers, and the list goes on. Thank God we created something like this to help keep one less soldier dying trying to do a job most Americans are to afraid or worthless to do. I happily did for 5 years and I wish every one of my fellow brothers and sisters in arms had come back alive. Oh and by the way most hajis dont lift a finger except for pushing a button too smart guy.
  • D'eath Opinion... 2012/05/11 17:24:52
    D'eath
    +1
    First you have my admiration for being a soldier, they go way back in my family so we have something in common.

I can't comment on your last point as I don't know what the word hajis means.

In general war is a dirty game run by donkeys and fought by lions.

My venom lies in how easily innocents get killed, whether yours ours or any

others, and there is one country that is renown for killing it's allied troops in action.
  • Thor Am... D'eath 2012/05/11 18:42:56
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Do you realize just how many people around the entire world owe their freedom BECAUSE Americans step yp to the plate and fight for it. America sets the standard for winning the freedom of others.
  • D'eath Thor Am... 2012/05/12 02:32:41
    D'eath
    +1
    Y' know that would mean so much more, if it wasn't done for profit.

Governments all make the same claims, it helps them gather taxes and gives the troops a reason for killing.

Propaganda is not limited to the Nazis in the 2nd world and rougue nations war.
  • Thor Am... D'eath 2012/05/12 20:06:47 (edited)
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    You have several interesting points. Some may even have a single grain of truth.

Troops don't need a reason for killing. It's totally opposite they need a reason to let the enemy live. A dead man is no threat to a soldier. Simply step over the body and move on.

Soldiers are the first to see the evidence of why they are in a place. My grandfather needed no convincing about why he was in Germany after passing through TWO concentration camps.

My mom's dad didn't need to be told the Japanese were animals after seeing the aftermath of their Philipine and Guam occupation.

So explain to me where was the profit in those two examples. The U.S. didn't use either as a tax base. Actually both were money pits. And both led to a greater good.

It was only later during the 60's 70's "Dreat society" BS that europe became a socialist rats-nest.

Here's my edit;
    Where was the profit for American Big business in MY 95-96 deployment into Bosnia? I saw FIRSTHAND the results of ethnic clensing. Did the U.S. start that war? I saw Serbs ready to lay waste to Bosnians and Croatians for no better reason then they were Bosnians and Croatians. I PERSONALLY saw churches and cemetaries mined. I saw elementary schools and hospitals riddled with bullet holes. As a Seabee we were among the first westerners in country. Hardly enough time for a PROPAGANDA campaign.
  • D'eath Thor Am... 2012/05/12 20:24:50
    D'eath
    +1
    Most of my male relatives have served their country during wartime, so I'm familiar with the joys of warfare.

I've heard a different way of fighting where the innocent are not regarded as enemies and ones allies are not a legitimate targets.

Do you consider all socialist to be rats or is it just European socialists and would I be incorrect in thinking that the majority of voting Americans have found a socialist government to lead them.
  • Thor Am... D'eath 2012/05/12 20:39:16
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Allies are not legitimate targets. I couldn't even begin to think where you got that idea. It makes no sense.
    Unless you think friendly fire is somehow planned.
    A battlefield is a messy place and that's actually a better situation because if it were clean and pristine there would be not reason to avoid it.
    Every soldier understands that and is the LAST person that wants to be there because HE'S THE GUY THAT HAS TO FIGHT IT.

You've heard of a way to fight a war without collateral damage? REALLY? Where no inncents get killed. WOW.
    I don't know where you got that "PIE-N-THE SKY" please tell the rest of the world.
    The last battle like that was Iwo Jima during WWII military against military and no civilians (except war correspondents)

The U.S. takes every available precaution to keep civilians safe. It just so happens that our enemies seem to like to hide among them. In that case it is the ememy that puts them in danger NOT the Americans.
  • D'eath Thor Am... 2012/05/12 21:06:23
    D'eath
    Friendly fire, you mean trigger happy kids with expensive toys.

Collateral damage, you mean who cares.

(a way to fight a war without collateral damage? REALLY? Where no inncents get killed.)

Those are your words not mine.

Do your police shoot up hostages who may have a perpetrator forcing their company upon them?

You don't have to reply, you are brainwashed.
  • Thor Am... D'eath 2012/05/13 23:15:58 (edited)
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Your an Idiot. Your answer doesn't even come close to making any sense and you dodged the question.

First. {Friendly fire, you mean trigger happy kids with expensive toys.}

Those are not toys. As I said a battlefield is a messy place and very confused. Pretty much the plans change as soon as the first shot is fired.

Second {Collateral damage, you mean who cares.}

Everybody does. Because as more of your own troops get injured or killed the heavier your personal burden is. Of course you wouldn't know that because you've never had to put EVERYTHING at risk in an all or nothing win or lose.

Third {Do your police shoot up hostages who may have a perpetrator forcing their company upon them?}

That's got to be one of the stupidest responses imaginable. You try to equate a crimmininal act with a combat zone? A single guy with a gun to hundreds with automatic weapons and explosives. Armor and anything else they can get their hands on. Trying to KILL everyone in the general area. No quarter given no negotiation.

You are a total imbicile. You have ZERO understanding of the world around you.

You dodged the simplist of questions.
    How do you fight a war with ZERO collateral damage and ZERO innocent bystanders getting injured or killed?

You didn't answer it because YOU HAVE NO ANSWER.

AND YES I KNOW YOU WILL SPEW AN INSULT THEN BLOCK it's the typical response from people such as you that have run out of answers.
  • D'eath Thor Am... 2012/05/14 18:02:39
    D'eath
    +1
    Why would I block you, I respect your opinions and your right to hold them.
  • Thor Am... D'eath 2012/05/14 20:27:26
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Because it's the normal response from about 99.9 % of lefties
  • D'eath Thor Am... 2012/05/14 20:29:33
    D'eath
    Im my country I would be called a right wing Conservative.
  • Thor Am... D'eath 2012/05/14 20:37:02
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    I've served with several Royal Marines and regular Army (First Peraian Gulf war and in Bosnia) No offense but from their view (after some discussions) You'd be considered left leaning.

On a side note; WTH does 'Bugga' mean they used it in damn near every conversation.
  • D'eath Thor Am... 2012/05/14 20:41:11
    D'eath
    I've never heard of this expression. Did you mean bugger?
  • Thor Am... D'eath 2012/05/14 20:44:47
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Probably. But you know Brit accents are kinda harsh on the ears of a Southerner
  • D'eath Thor Am... 2012/05/14 20:48:22
    D'eath
    Well a Bugger is a person who indulges in anal sex, not just homosexuals.
  • Thor Am... D'eath 2012/05/14 20:51:11
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Haha
    That does explain a lot. Especally in the context of the delivery.
    Usually delivered in a frustrated tone.
  • D'eath Thor Am... 2012/05/14 20:54:02
    D'eath
    +1
    Yes that would be right.

In the uk. it was an offence not that long ago. Personally I would bring that law back :)
  • Opinion... D'eath 2012/05/12 00:16:38
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    +1
    Thank you for your answer and yes war is HELL.
  • Max 2012/05/10 17:18:02 (edited)
    Max
    +1
    We have never declared war on Afghanistan or anyone else but we bomb them on a regular basis in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Libya and Somalia, with Syria and Iran waiting in the wings. I have no problem with our military killing the enemy. But these indiscriminate drone attacks, with unverifiable information as to whom is being targeted, are atrocities and against international and U.S. laws.

How long until the drones that are flying over the U.S. become armed?

F. A. A. Reveals 63 Drone Launch Sites On U.S. Territory

laws drones flying armed reveals 63 drone launch sites territory

http://www.businessinsider.co...
  • Son Of ... Max 2012/05/10 17:27:59
    Son Of Anubis™
    +2
    And that's only the ones that are known....how many hundreds of others that exist but 'don't exist'
  • Max Son Of ... 2012/05/10 21:25:07
    Max
    +1
    I just ran into this article concerning drone victims:

"Civilian drone victims, unrecognized by the U.S. government and public, seek justice"

http://niemanwatchdog.org/ind...
  • Son Of ... Max 2012/05/11 21:25:34
    Son Of Anubis™
    +1
    I believe the US Government should be held liable if they kill innocents with their drones. I believe those in the CIA/Military who give the orders that kills civilians should be charged with murder, anything less is condoning the murder of innocents. the guilty should be sentenced to long prison terms and Government made to pay restitution to the family's. Taking out so-called terrorists or Taliban or any other hostile I have no problem with but when innocnet victinms are killed people should be held accountable and restitution paid.
  • H H 2012/05/10 17:06:52
    H H
    +1
    The US media is not "we." It is controlled, which is why it has no diversity of opinion.
  • Jimbo 2012/05/10 16:57:54
    Jimbo
    +3
    Reality is these so called innocent children would probably be brainwashed into terrorism as they got older. War is hell for both sides. Terrorists kill women, children, and so do our drones prosecuting terror.
  • Latti I... Jimbo 2012/05/10 17:35:50
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +4
    Sorry Jim, but this War on Terror has been sloppy. Saudi Arabia had most of the terrorists and Pakistan hid some of them; every other middle eastern country is collateral damage and we have created over 10 more 9/11's in other people countries. Now we want to attack Iran next; the very country that held a candle light vigil for us. The reality is we aren't any better.

iran candle light vigil iran candle light vigil 9 11 iran candle light vigil 9 11 iran candle light vigil 9 11 iran candle light vigil 9 11
  • Opinion... Jimbo 2012/05/11 02:28:55
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    Thank GOD someone who I agree with about this subject!
  • Thor American EXPAT n New G... 2012/05/10 16:57:34
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    +1
    Five POTENTIAL TERRORIST smoked before they could kill Americans.

Hmmm where was the whole 9-11-2001 attack planned?

Oh yeah AFGHANISTAN ! ! ! !
  • Latti I... Thor Am... 2012/05/10 17:32:39
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Oh no; SAUDI ARABIA!!!!!!
  • Thor Am... Latti I... 2012/05/10 20:21:22
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Osama disagrees with you
  • Latti I... Thor Am... 2012/05/10 20:25:46
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Osama bin Laden was born in Saudi Arabia in 1957. The al-Qaida leader was once celebrated as a hero there. But he had become a pariah because of his terrorist activities.

http://articles.cnn.com/keywo...
  • Thor Am... Latti I... 2012/05/10 20:41:37
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    +2
    So what's your point?

He admitted to planning the 9-11 attacks>He was living in Afghanistan under Taliban rule and protection. The Afghans were given the oppertuity to turn him over to the U.S. THEY refused.

Their BLUFF was called. SUCKS TO BE THEM.
  • Latti I... Thor Am... 2012/05/10 20:44:22
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    He was found in Pakistan not Afghanistan and they found out he was hiding in Pakistan all along. You're already harping on the wrong country SMH.
  • Thor Am... Latti I... 2012/05/10 20:46:59
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    You do realize he was in Afghanistan when 9-11 happened right? or has that little peice of history escaped you?
  • Latti I... Thor Am... 2012/05/10 20:50:43
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    They claimed he was in Afghanistan and found out he wasn't. He was behind the border with in Pakistan when 9/11 happen. Why do you think he couldn't be found?
  • Thor Am... Latti I... 2012/05/10 20:55:31
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Same reason I couldn't find my keys two days ago. I wasn't looking in the exact spot. I knew they were in my house. I just didn't see them.
  • Latti I... Thor Am... 2012/05/10 21:11:52
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    More like excuses for killing innocent kids.
  • Thor Am... Latti I... 2012/05/10 21:58:31
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Yeah the U.S. military has nothing better to do tham run around a country full of stone aged suicidal maniacs looking for children to kill.

2014/12/19 07:21:02