Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday: Good Law?

Fef 2013/01/25 20:00:00
Government loves to make laws that make our lives better... or do they just love to make laws that make us feel better? This time, government didn't make a new law, but an un-elected government bureaucrat, the Librarian of Congress (LOC) James H. Billington, removed an exemption from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) that makes cellphone unlocking illegal.

Why the change? Critics like unlocktotalk.com suggest, "the big boys in the wireless industry have lobbied the Librarian of Congress to take away your right to unlock your own phone for the purpose of using it with the carrier of your choice." That government acquiesced to Big Business' lobbying efforts.
Note to those confused about Big Business and Politics: Big Business doesn't support capitalism -- they oppose free market competition when they rely on government for laws and protection. Government also contradicts the doctrine of Laissez-faire when it cozies up with business to make favorable laws against the free market.

Wikipedia defines cellphone locking: A SIM lock, simlock, network lock or subsidy lock is a capability built into mobile phones by mobile phone manufacturers. Network providers use this capability to restrict the use of these phones to specific countries and network providers... The reason many network providers SIM lock their phones is that they offer phones at a discount to customers in exchange for a contract to pay for the use of the network for a specified time period, usually between one and three years.
Unlocking a cellphone allows the cellphone owner to choose a different carrier, such as moving from AT&T; to Verizon or T-Mobile.

MASHABLE.COM reports:
Unlocking cellphones will no longer be allowed, starting Jan. 26.
mashable reports unlocking cellphones allowed starting jan 26

Read More: http://mashable.com/2013/01/23/unlocking-cellphone...

• Lirlei 2013/07/01 15:38:04
    Good Grief!
    Lirlei
    +1
    So what will they do if you unlock a phone, throw you in prison?
  • Shyanne 2013/02/22 04:32:35
    Good Grief!
    Shyanne
    +4
    I am lucky enough I have no contract thanks to Straight Talk. This is annoying as I feel like I have been screwed out of so much money since 2009. This would only make me lose more.
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/30 20:57:05
  • Apache 2013/01/29 20:22:14 (edited)
  • Renar 2013/01/29 19:47:54
    Good Grief!
    Renar
    +1
    You're buying a product not renting it, you should be able to do whatever the F you want with is phone after purchase. This is gonna get ugly.
  • pennie 2013/01/29 19:32:04
    Good Grief!
    pennie
  • Kent Harper 2013/01/29 18:29:55
    Good Grief!
    Kent Harper
    Another victory for the corporate machine I see...
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2013/01/29 18:15:29
    Good Grief!
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +1
    You pay for the phone, it's yours, you should do what you want with it.
  • John 2013/01/29 17:44:46
    Good Grief!
    John
    +2
    More government control!
  • bmxschoolbus 2013/01/29 16:52:51
  • Sheila 2013/01/29 16:19:06
    Good Grief!
    Sheila
    +2
    Oh Mr Librarian please save me from being forced to make a choice...waaaaa.

Why would the cell manufacturer put a lock on them?? Now start going after them to put them on the market NOT carrier specific.
  • Sionann 2013/01/29 16:11:40
    Good Grief!
    Sionann
    +2
    "This time, government didn't make a new law, but an un-elected government bureaucrat, the Librarian of Congress (LOC) James H. Billington, removed an exemption from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) that makes cellphone unlocking illegal." Ahhh....so now you can just remove things you don't like, without any authority to do so whatsoever? Can I do that? There is a lot of government crap I'd like to do away with!
  • Shadow Wolf 2013/01/29 15:33:23
    Good Grief!
    Shadow Wolf
    +2
    ooooooohhh mmmmyyyyy GOSSSSHH!!!!
  • merlinskiss 2013/01/29 15:20:53
    Good Grief!
    merlinskiss
    +2
    Just more unneeded regulation protecting businesses from the consumer.
  • rudi.zaini 2013/01/29 11:43:04
    Good Grief!
    rudi.zaini
    +1
    On a totally unrelated matter -

There are 2 different types of people in the world........

The people who know they're not free........

...and the people who THINK they are free.
  • Larre 2013/01/29 06:37:56
    Good Grief!
    Larre
    +2
    Yep.. Socialism on the rise in this country. "Give them all your money and they take care of you" kind of government mentality there. What Stalinism was all about. What can we do? nothing at the time being. Now they tell you that you cannot unlock your phones?? Indeed.
  • Transquesta 2013/01/29 04:15:11 (edited)
    Good Grief!
    Transquesta
    +2
    Just another slapdown by bully government.

And the response of the people will be just like every other slap by a bully. Mass capitulation.

When it ultimately gets so bad that a phalanx of government goons shows up at your door to install the government bit in your jaw, don't look any further around for someone to blame than that wimp you see in the mirror.
  • akgold 2013/01/29 04:00:55
    Good Law
    akgold
    Really a non issue. If you don't want to be locked into a service don't buy the contract or a phone that is tied to a carrier. People don't buy unlocked phones because of the higher prices, they made a deal with the devil so they don't really have a complaint. I bought a phone in Tanzania 15 months ago. $50 got me a phone, a local number and very cheap calling to the US from a tent deep in the Serengeti. I have since carried into 5 more African countries and a cheap SiM at the border or airports has served me well for much less than a locked phone with international roaming fees.
  • David Lee Saunders 2013/01/29 03:23:28
    Good Law
    David Lee Saunders
    +5
    I meant to check Good Grief. I am not overly surprised that the government sided with business. We have the best government money can buy. When is the last time you were able to go to a $1500 a plate hot dog and fries fundraiser? You don't think the hot dog and fries cost that much, do you? It is not a Democrat vs Republican or a bureaucrat vs the American people issue. Until the American electric wakes up and starts voting for our next door neighbors, who have creditability to bring to local, city, state, and the national government. Our neighbors have integrity but no money. They are like the rest of us. We keep electing multi-million/billionaires to office; notwithstanding, even middle class, poor, and working poor candidates cannot run because it takes millions of dollars to run. That's why I do not beat up on my government; we keep sending these rascals back to office in November, and starting February the coming year we wine like little children until the next elections. Come on...we have not figure out the game because we are sleep walking.
  • Sionann David L... 2013/01/29 16:08:57
    Sionann
    You are so right. I try to talk to people about politics and the government and they will tell me they are not interested. I'm thinking "You're not interested in your money, your country, your freedom or increasing lack thereof?" It's amazing the people that live in complete and utter oblivion.
  • David L... Sionann 2013/02/01 00:09:43
    David Lee Saunders
    Thanks Sionann for your straightforwardness. I could not have said it clearer and to the point as you did!
  • Liberty Blade 2013/01/28 23:55:27
    Good Grief!
    Liberty Blade
    +3
    &*()&^&% the government. I'm going to unlock my phone as they have no legal grounds to stop me. READ THE CONSTITUTION PEOPLE! Unless your STATE makes it illegal to unlock phones, you have EVERY right to use it the way you want to. It may interest you to know that murder is not a crime on a federal level unless you kill the president or another high ranking official. A standard murder is handled BY THE STATE, NOT THE FEDS.

10th ammendment
  • rudi.zaini Liberty... 2013/01/29 11:49:32
    rudi.zaini
    Here! Here! That gives me an idea. Lets beat people to death with our unlocked phones!

I am joking.....................but I feel ya.
  • Donnie 2013/01/28 23:39:50
    Good Grief!
    Donnie
    +4
    you bought the device but its somehow not yours.
  • george wells 2013/01/28 23:11:56
  • Darr247 2013/01/28 21:25:50
    Good Grief!
    Darr247
    +4
    Sign the petition asking the whitehouse to urge the Librarian of Congress to exempt unlocking cellphones from the DMCA.
  • William Darr247 2013/01/29 06:07:14
    William
    Done.
  • firelooker 2013/01/28 21:22:46
    Good Grief!
    firelooker
    +4
    Anything to stop free enterprise.
  • CocaColaCandy 2013/01/28 21:13:38
    Good Grief!
    CocaColaCandy
    +5
    A US smartphone must be unlocked before it will work in the vast majority of the world. Traveling abroad? You have the choice of going without your phone or becoming a criminal. Not just a dumb law, a real nightmare for the business traveler.
  • William CocaCol... 2013/01/29 06:08:14
    William
    Seems that those in business that travel abroad would be better served by another government.
  • Joey 2013/01/28 21:07:40
    Good Grief!
    Joey
    +1
    I see the top poster blames liberals ...How in the hell is the about Liberals ? MY goodness protecting big businesses like this would something that is closer the the Right's mind set and not the lefts.
  • Falcon Joey 2013/01/28 22:42:32 (edited)
    Falcon
    +2
    The top poster is and always has been a moron... not to mention a chickens**t blocker.
  • Magus BN-0 Joey 2013/01/28 23:21:28
    Magus BN-0
    +1
    FanOreilly is a joke. And he seems to have an army of socks to vote up his posts.
  • Joey Magus BN-0 2013/01/29 04:40:51
    Joey
    +1
    Yeah maybe socks are the reason his post get so many up votes.
  • William Joey 2013/01/29 06:09:07
    William
    Both protect big business. Both do the bailout thing.
  • txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry! 2013/01/28 19:54:38
    Good Grief!
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +3
    WTH does that even mean? What's the purpose? How STUPID! Should have read the article before asking questions. I got just three words for these tyrants;

LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE!
  • Professor Wizard 2013/01/28 17:15:59
    Good Grief!
    Professor Wizard
    +4
    Goes to show how big money can get it's way.

AT&T; was the screamer on this one. She didn't like losing her phones to T-Mobil, and poured money into the pockets of politicians to make it illegal to unlock an AT&T; phone so you could use it on another carrier.

Once again :: The Elite win, and the public lose.
  • juanito 2013/01/28 16:57:22
    Good Grief!
    juanito
    +3
    The most intractable part of the current financial crisis, and the ongoing problem of the US economy is the huge tax which is levied on the American public by its corporations, primarily in the financial and health care sectors, and a political system based on lobbyists and their campaign contributions.

There are hidden taxes and impediments to ‘free trade’ at every turn. The ugly truth is that capitalism-in-practice hates free markets, always seeking to overturn the rules and impose oligopoly if not outright monopoly through barriers to entry, manipulation of the political process, distortion of regulation, predatory pricing, brute force, and the usual slate of anti-trust practices.

Some of these ‘hidden taxes’ are the bonuses on Wall Street which require an increasing percentage of the financial ‘action.’ The credit cards fees and penalties levied by banks to support profits in a contracting economy. The Sales General & Administrative portion of the Income Statements of the pharmaceutical industry which only American consumers seem willing to pay. A health care system which is a monument to overspending, outrageous pricing, and greed.

The notion that “if only government would not regulate markets at all everything would be fine” is a variation of Rousseau’s romantic notion...

The notion that “if only government would not regulate markets at all everything would be fine” is a variation of Rousseau’s romantic notion of the noble savage which no one believes except those who wish to continue to act like savages, and those who get no closer to the real work of an economy than their textbooks. Economic Darwinism works primarily to the advantage of the sharks. Anyone who believes that ‘no regulations’ works well has never driven on a modern highway at peak periods.
    Read more at http://www.nakedcapitalism.co...

Stalin actualy copied US model. Communist party acted as corporation
  • Crime Time 2013/01/28 16:56:36 (edited)
  • Bett17 2013/01/28 16:50:41
    Good Grief!
    Bett17
    +3
    I don't know which is worse... the fact that the government is passing such pointless laws when more important things are happening... or that they're trying to take control the people as much as they possibly can?

2014/12/29 06:45:03