United and American Airlines charge $15 to check single bag: Are airlines being greedy?

HonkyTonkWoman 2008/06/12 17:42:56
Yes; United and American Airlines are greedy. Flight costs were expensive enough already.
No; United and American Airlines need to offset the rise in fuel costs.
I'm not sure if United and American Airlines are being greedy or not...
United Airlines became the latest airline to begin charging $15 to check a single bag on domestic flights, matching the controversial fee launched in May 2008 by American Airlines as the industry struggles to offset soaring fuel prices. United said fees for checking the first and second bags would generate revenue of about $275 million a year. American Airlines was sharply criticized for its single-bag fee by passengers who consider the charge excessive.

• Jennybo 2008/09/12 04:00:29
    Yes; United and American Airlines are greedy. Flight costs were expensive eno...
    Jennybo
    I'm not sure that I'd call this greed as much as poor business minds. Let's see... we have multiple choices in most cities so these already expensive airlines are going to gain more this way? Perhaps this works for the business flyers who are flying in and out same day. But with consultant traveling or multiple day business trips I expect large companies to be rethinking their contracts. And as for cheap personal flyers like myself... no allegiance = no-brainer. What a poor time to be tossing your customer base into the kitty. Not buying stock today!!
  • sd *TROUBLE* 2008/07/02 16:24:27 (edited)
    sd *TROUBLE*
    Very greedy and unnesscessary.
    EDIT: I meant yes!
  • Chula21 2008/06/15 08:11:29
    Chula21
    MAN THATS BULLSHIT! WE SHOULD CHARGE THEM FOR SUMTHIN OR JUST START DRIVING MORE .....
  • Silas 2008/06/13 12:24:52
    Silas
    I'm afraid their industry is doing what all of them are or will do and that is adjust for inflation. I've seen it before and it's not pretty. I know some pilots that are very concerned about this. Higher rates deter people from flying and job cuts are already happening again.
  • Flowerbomb 2008/06/13 11:58:45
    Flowerbomb
    Hey, if you don't like it, fly another airline or don't fly at all
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2008/06/13 05:56:35
  • mstee 2008/06/13 00:32:15
    mstee
    I believe it is both A and B. True the cost of fuel is outragous but it should not be passed on to the consumer when after all they made a bad business decission. they had the same option as Southwest insure the cost of their fuel. While South West pays approx. $50.00 per barrell the others pay $150. or more because they didn't opt for fuel insurance and lock in the price. So now the cost of fuel is eating into their profits and they want to pass the cost on to the consumer. They should eat more of the cost themselves instead of looking for a reason to up the price and blame the cost of fuel.
  • Boilermc 2008/06/12 19:58:35
    Boilermc
    +1
    Maybe we should all be looking at AmTrak or Greyhound to travel.
  • Faith ~American Patriot~ 2008/06/12 18:43:29
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    American Airlines charges $15 for every single bag that you check, United allows you to check one for free, then charges $30 for each bag after the first. We are currently preparing for a vacation next week and my hunsband, daughter and I are going on United, while my mom is going American. We are trying to figure out how to get all of our stuff out there. We figured out that it is cheaper to just buy a porta crib while we are there, and leave it at our beach house.
    It is very sad. The airlines tried something like this years and years ago, and had to stop doing it. Everyone started carrying their bags on, the plane ran out of room, and the overcrowding resulted in flight delays, and some pretty pissed off people. My mom was working for the airline at the time and she said it was pretty bad.
  • Coach 2008/06/12 18:12:08
    Coach
    Whatever they need to do...
  • Mr. T 2008/06/12 18:11:49
    Mr. T
    +1
    screw checking baggage.
    Carry on!
    american airlines greedy flight costs expensive screw checking baggage carry
  • gonzo 2008/06/12 18:08:07
  • Florida Keys 2008/06/12 18:04:43 (edited)
    Florida Keys
    I worked for the airlines....The cost of fuel is too high...Let me give you an example..Back in approx. the year 2000, for every penny or 1 cent the fuel went up..... it cost Delta Airlines, 1,000,000.00 a day.........todays one penny would cost??

penny 1 fuel cost delta airlines 1000000 00 penny equal
  • TxAggie93 2008/06/12 17:51:01
    TxAggie93
    They have to do something in light of rising fuel costs, aging fleets, and decreased passenger numbers.
  • freewill~STS~freespirit 2008/06/12 17:48:33

2014/10/22 09:53:55