Unions, Good or Bad?

Angel 2011/03/02 20:16:17
Related Topics: Deficit, Labor Union, China
So much is going on concerning Unions, I decided to do a little research of unions to see if they are good or bad for workers...

In the beginning of the Union they helped much of the industrial America, workers toiled under very unsafe conditions, earning extremely low pay and enjoying little to no legal protection. Unions were successful in bringing about many improvements for such workers, such as more reasonable working hours. They have generally served workers well by helping them avoid being exploited by employers.

Many people believe Unions protect the people and without them big corporations would run rampant and destroy a decent living..

As time went on Unions gained more power, and to much power always leads to corruptness...

There has always been laws to protect the worker, but don't protect the owner. If you eliminate unions, those laws would still exist.

Someone has to be in charge and it should be the owner of the company, not the people that work for him...

In many cases labor unions demand that people are paid outrageous amounts of money to perform non-skilled tasks, such as janitorial work but the end results are real, the price increase is borne by all.

Oft times in the work force a person isn't allowed to pick up an item to carry it to another location because the job belongs to an union worker, never mind what works best for the company that is paying the bills, the only concern is protecting the job of the union worker...

While unions have done a lot of good and have helped workers avoid exploitation, they also seem to have helped workers exploit employers. Perhaps it has been a gradual shift over time, with unions slowly accumulating more and more power.

It can be said that Unions are victims of their own success. Unions raised their wages substantially above the wages paid to nonunion workers. Therefore, many union-made products have become so expensive that sales were lost to less expensive foreign competitors and non-union producers...

Workers can't advance much or at all on their merits, but must generally progress within the limits defined by union contracts. Employers may have trouble weeding out ineffective employees if they belong to unions. In theory, at least, unionized workers might become so comfortable and protected that they lose the incentive to work hard for their employer..

Even in some cases outstanding workers are pressured by the union to not go the extra mile...So here you can thank the unions for poor production on the employees part, and jobs that have moved over seas, where it is more affordable to get products made...

Today more business owners would prefer that the businesses be union-free. But that's easier said than done.

It can be said by my research that Unions promote laziness and incompetency. ‌ In places like the TSA (transportation security administration) where only the most competent and diligent employees are needed, unions could cause a breech in our National Security while enforcing union contracts which encourages employees not to go that extra mile.

In states like Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio labor costs for state employees have driven the explosion of state budget deficits. They have moved to curb those costs and also the power of unions to drive up those costs by making demands of the public purse.

The power of collective bargaining, along with the support of the Democratic Party, has caused heavily unionized industries in America, such as the automobiles and steel, to go into a decline thus as I said before sending business off shore.
what good does it do the employee or America if the union has gotten him a fat salary and benefit package only to find that his job has been shipped to Mexico or Thailand or China...

It can be said Unions who once served the worker back in the day, has now out lived it's usefulness and is only a drain on the American economy...
they are doing more damage than good...

Democratic-run state governments would negotiate generous packages for their employees, confident in the notion that they would be able to raise enough taxes to pay for them. In return, the public-sector unions would support the same Democrats with money and muscle, keeping them in office.

The problem is that the money ran out, and this scares every democrat and union out there, knowing they could lose their power over the people...

Union bosses, Democrats and their sycophantic followers on the Left have been allowed to rewrite history for 30 years.

Push back now against the destruction of America from power hungry Unions

resources used in my search are:
The Social Studies Help Center
free republic
USgov.info

Read More: http://pushbacknow.net/2011/03/01/unions-good-or-b...

• Romanov~PWCM~JLA 2011/03/02 21:28:04
    Romanov~PWCM~JLA
    +52
    At this point in time, I think they are bad. I am in a union, but I had no choice in the matter, either I joined or I couldn't work that job. They take my dues by force and they give it to politicians that I do not like, or causes that I do not believe in. They also fight to keep workers on the job that should have been fired a long time ago, they fight for the lazy and incompetent to keep their jobs at the expense of the truly qualified. I might be mollified a little bit, if they couldn't use union funds for political purposes, and the buying of politicians, but that will never stop because they are the lifeblood of the Democratic Party, and the Democrats reciprocate by giving the unions undue power over the hapless American People.

• bigboy 2011/03/26 16:44:58
    bigboy
    Without the Unions America will become a Plutocracy. I support them 1000%.
  • bambinoclipper 2011/03/11 06:04:43
    bambinoclipper
    +1
    Bravo!!!!!! Well said!!!!! I have been saying this for years and its getting to the point that if we do not address this problem the country will meet its demise!
  • Sarge (JLA) (BN) 2011/03/11 03:07:21 (edited)
    Sarge (JLA) (BN)
    +1
    I'll try to make this simple for those that need things explained in a simple way. I will use the United States Postal Service as an example.

One individual (making $26.50 an hour) has been working in the local post office for six years. This individual is lazy and only completes the minimal task needed each day to keep the bosses off their ass.

A second individual (making $21.25 an hour) has been on the job for just over three years. Does a fairly good job and tries to exceed expectations from time to time. This individual is a close friend of the first individual and is starting to learn bad habits from the first individual.

The third individual (making 18.75 an hour) has bee on the job for two years. This individual bust ass on a daily basis, Always exceeds expectations, and has actually made suggestions that have saved time & money in the local post office (this individual's suggestions are being implemented in every post office across the country and will result in substantial saving for the US Postal Service!). The first & second individuals dislike the third individual, because this third person has made improvements that make them have to work harder to meet expectations. The first two think this third person has to go!!!

The question - A promotion comes up in this local po...

The question - A promotion comes up in this local post office - Who should get the promotion? The first individual? The second individual? Or, how about the really hard working third individual?

The answer - The first individual!!! Don't you know. The US Postal Service is unionized! It doesn't make a damn how hard you work. It doesn't make a damn how much you save the government. The individual that has been on the job the longest gets the promotion - it's the union way!!! Who cares if this individual is lazy?! Who cars if this individual produces a third of what the others produce?! - The first individual has been there the longest so that person gets the promotion.

After the promotion is completed, the first thing the new supervisor does is tell to the second individual to stick close and learn how to get promoted within the union. Oh, and the first individual is gonna make an example out of the third individual so there will be no more of their trying to make improvements that nobody wants!!!

If you don't think this happens all the time, then you my friend are naive!!!!
  • Mississippi lady 2011/03/10 20:16:48
    Mississippi lady
    +3
    I have worked in the corporate world and know the lengths that good companies will go to prevent unionization. There is so much crap associated with unions in the workplace that employees were really much better off; not having them there taking over the company and telling the company who they could hire, fire, promote, etc.
  • Dwight 2011/03/10 20:15:40
    Dwight
    +3
    I agree, Angel. In their begining Unions were truly a good force in the work place, helping people be free from a kind of serfdom bussines had imposed over generations. But under the FDR administration they became a political force and the government, instead of being a disintrested arbitrater came to support the Union cause on all fronts.

Now, with the public service unions, there is no resonable doubt that the Unions and one political party make an un-holy team against the rest of us.

Thank God for Governor Walker and the WI Republicans for having the spine to carry thru on their promises!
  • Gadfly2009 2011/03/10 20:12:05
    Gadfly2009
    +4
    You have to feel for the poor Wisconsin teachers. Based upon data provided by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, they only average $65.00 an hour in total compensation. Who can survive on a job that only pays $65.00 an hour? I mean that's barely enough to keep you in prime rib and filet mignon 5 days a week.
  • ~ The Rebel ~ 2011/03/10 20:10:38
    ~ The Rebel ~
    +4
    Crooks are everywhere and you have to be on the lookout! Years ago the car insurance company I had used to run articles stating that their policyholders were 100% behind this or that and I got to thinking about it and thought - I'm one of them and nobody asked me. So, I contacted them and told them they were out of line making that statement without consulting all of us and they needed to change. The confrontation was not a good one and I cancelled the insurance because of it. Later on they did start sending out forms to find out how the policyholders felt so I must not have been the only one to complain. Be alert and stay informed please!!!
  • HOMBRE 2011/03/10 20:09:47
    HOMBRE
    +4
    unions are F--KED UP
  • puppydog3 2011/03/08 19:36:28
    puppydog3
    +4
    Very bad when they begin to bite the hand that feeds them, ie, the employer. It's America--don't like your job? Improve yourself and find a better one.
  • Fox13_spydr 2011/03/08 13:16:07
    Fox13_spydr
    +4
    they have served there purpose and now are a thorn no longer a rose
  • Simmering Frog - PHART 2011/03/08 06:22:07
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +4
    Unions suck. If they didn't, membership would be voluntary.
  • MIKEY 2011/03/07 14:14:54
    MIKEY
    +4
    great post...in my opinion unions are legalized mafia...the unions have become the very thing they once fought against...greed and entitlements....
  • Broken 2011/03/07 06:17:09
    Broken
    +6
    Bad - Very Bad. I was a member of one many years ago because I was forced to. I have in-laws who are big union thugs. I think they have become as oppressive as the businesses they used to protect workers from.
  • Mike56 2011/03/06 05:41:23 (edited)
    Mike56
    +6
    Lenin said it long ago: "Unions are transmission belts of Communist Party" and "Unions are school of Communism"
  • T. O'Dea 2011/03/05 22:43:23
    T. O'Dea
    +2
    Unions are essential for the protection of the workers, with out them the greedy business owners and government supervisors would only take greater advantage of the rank and file then they currently do. This is not to say unions could take a less militant approach to there demands.
  • Mike56 T. O'Dea 2011/03/16 02:17:52
    Mike56
    Unions are not better "protection" than racketeers who break into a store and "offer" their unasked services. Every industry that has "stong unions" sank. Unions are job-killers and eventually county-killers.
  • Minarchist 2011/03/05 20:27:48
    Minarchist
    +3
    An individual has a right to join or not that is up to the individual. Though with collective bargaining the individual has only the choice whether they want to work there based on those conditions therefore I am for a right to work state. Ultimately the individual bying that product can choose to by a product without the overinflated price by going across the street to their competitor. However public collective bargaining makes it harder for the voyage must cross into other state lines. The difficult choice comes into play when you have individuals buying products, working for, or paying taxes to individuals that will squander that money to raise wages or benefits for the purchase of special interest opposite the buyers interest. This is also done on the other side by creating bureaucracies that write the regulation that is self serving Fascism, that eliminates competition. The winner is government, business, and unions. Once right to work states exist, and bureaucracies and regulations are ended the individual taxpayer will finally benefit. Right now it is the opposite, the taxpayer is one that suffers.
  • lcky9 2011/03/05 16:19:53
    lcky9
    +4
    Public unions BAD... PRIVATE unions OK.. ANY union giving ANY money to ANY political party or politician should be FINED and FINED HEAVILY.. and that would either Public or PRIVATE .. tighten up reguralions for unions who rather than the company holds the members retirement.. (some pensions are actually NOT through the unions but rather through the employer in the private sector..).. all pension money should be put in a safe account ..
  • santa6642 2011/03/05 15:07:50
    santa6642
    +3
    Bad, I am also in a union and had no choice, but do not agree were they have us going. , they protect the wrong people and waste money on the wrong political candidates.
  • Tau_Seti 2011/03/05 14:47:25
  • busyboots 2011/03/05 11:52:53
    busyboots
    +5
    BAD. Public Unions are counter-productive and should be done away with. PERIOD. No one in the private sector should ever be forced to join a Union in order to get a job. Union membership should be completely voluntary. Then see how long they [unions] survive.
  • The Mosher busyboots 2011/03/06 22:43:40
    The Mosher
    Actually that would benefit unions on one condition, many unions are voluntary, but at the same time they have to offer their own benefits and certain services to non-members. Is that fair? No, if unions were allowed to only give their member funded benefits and services to the paying members it would cut costs but may also greatly increase membership as people don't get a free ride.
  • paul 2011/03/05 09:20:15
    paul
    +1
    Unions are good when times are good and unions are bad when times are bad
  • topgundy7 2011/03/05 05:52:52
    topgundy7
    +5
    I hate my union...period!
  • Benji 2011/03/05 04:25:09
    Benji
    +4
    Unions are the middle class
  • Diverbelo 2011/03/05 04:04:03
  • SharonJohnson 2011/03/05 03:55:09
    SharonJohnson
    +3
    Blood Suckers
  • Ukie 2011/03/05 02:55:07
    Ukie
    +3
    Good idea in the beginning but have been totally corrupt since before Jimmy Hoffa. Now have been co-opted by the Extreme Left. Awful for our country.... totally corrupt jimmy hoffa co-opted extreme awful country Union corruption totally corrupt jimmy hoffa co-opted extreme awful country Union corruption totally corrupt jimmy hoffa co-opted extreme awful country Union corruption
  • Bond Ja... Ukie 2011/03/06 00:32:40
    Bond James Bond
    +1
    And so many more!
  • belle 2011/03/05 02:39:44
    belle
    +1
    When I was involved with them during my career, not the best for helping the company, but good at trying to make money for the union, but not the company or caring for the customers. All about them.
  • The Mosher 2011/03/05 00:40:01
    The Mosher
    +3
    Good, despite what many people think unions have been in decline since the 60's and don't hold close to the power corporations have in politics. Only 11% of working americans are unionized and don't hold nearly as much money as corporate america. While there are still some closed shop unions most are open shop meaning its an option to join it yet you still get the benefits. People seem to have the false premise that unions are all powerful thugs, and that may have been true in the 30's to the 50's but thats a very outdated assumptions, yes corruption was rampant and still exists in unions but corruption exsits everywhere and without the enormous power they are not as influential or harmful as Corporate america. Also without unions and collective bargaining the decent conditions and wages would most likely be lower than the standard of living.
  • Angel The Mosher 2011/03/05 01:31:48
    Angel
    +4
    i have to disagree, there are laws in place to prevent workers from making below a certain wage...we would probably see more of our businesses return to the US from over seas if the unions were out of control
  • The Mosher Angel 2011/03/05 01:38:34
    The Mosher
    +3
    To go against that, would you honestly want workers working at minimum wage? It is buisness to use the cheapest resources and labor as possible to reduce costs, but does that mean export jobs to people who work for the most meager wages. And if we didnt have those laws we would have to lower the wages and standards in order to keep jobs here and thats going backwards in time. Although I'm open to free trade I do not believe industries and countries should be encouraged with tax breaks when they are exporting jobs over seas. Quite the opposite because not only are the jobs being exported but many business that may be American companies cannot be fully taxed for the foreign income which is another loss to the country. I believe that workers in unions can make concessions but not to the standard of chinese workers or to what they are trying to do in the Cheese state with collective bargaining.
  • Michael 2011/03/04 22:56:48
    Michael
    +2
    Well said! Unions are as useful today as the buggy whip and thank goodness they still are not in charge of that job. Railroad and postal employees show that they bankrupt their companies.
  • Angel Michael 2011/03/05 01:32:25
    Angel
    +2
    Thank you Michael, I agree
  • Behner 2011/03/04 22:33:58
    Behner
    +4
    Bad....Very very bad...
  • Angel Behner 2011/03/05 01:32:40
    Angel
    +4
    I agree Behner, thank you
  • Atmara 2011/03/04 22:29:49
    Atmara
    +2
    Thats right. We should be more and more like Red China. Do they allow unions? NO!

Are the big corporations greedy? No! They love to give people a decent living wage and keep jobs here for Americans!

How about the 1% that owns 50% of everything? They love us and dont want to see people starving and homeless in the streets after the Unions beat them up and take their money.

• Angel Atmara 2011/03/05 01:35:11
    Angel
    +3
    why hate rich people, they are rich because one they worked and made their way up the ladder or two their families did and passed the fortune to them, either way without them , there would be no jobs because no one could afford to run a business ....
    it is impossible for everyone to be rich... and God did say for a reason , the poor would always be with us
  • Atmara Angel 2011/03/05 18:25:49
    Atmara
    I love rich people. Here in Aspen and Vail there are quite a few.
    So your support greed? How much is too much?
    How about the Walton family? I hear they each have Billions? Is that enough?
    Lets not bring God into this because most religions say to share with the poor and that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Did you miss that?

2014/11/29 07:32:26