Unemployment numbers: 1/3 Of Amercia NOT working

Candy 2012/04/06 15:39:35
All unemployment numbers matter, not just the adjusted rate
All that matters is that the unemployment rate dropped to 8.2%
87,897,000 are not working.

You read that correctly. Nearly 1/3 of our population has give up looking for work and are unreported and mostly ignored by CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, and even Fox News.

I have been directly affected by this. I will be starting a new internship in may, and my group will be moved to a new office. Instead of being happy and celebrating, everyone is somber because the space we will be getting was formerly occupied by 100 people recently laid off to cut costs.

I will get my own desk and computer equipped with a view from the hill of the town because of a growing number of victims of Obama's Economy.

The unemployment rate drops to 8.2% for one simple reason: the number of people not in the labor force is back to all time highs:

drops 8 2 simple reason number people labor force highs

Some alternative sources:

drudgereport.com

bringmethenews.com

canadafreepress.com

beforeitsnews.com

rt.com

townhall.com

• grandpa6 2012/04/06 16:06:58
    grandpa6
    +6
    It's time the oboma state media started telling the truth the real unemployment rate is close to 17%. they are only counting the ones collecting. How about the ones who are no longer collecting and the under employed only working part time? When will they start telling the TRUTH about how this guy is destroying our country?

• TruBluT... my2cents 2012/04/08 16:53:50
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    I've read quite a bit and I am significantly older than you are. But here's the final thing. You have demonstrated that you intend to pursue the mindless adherence to the Leftist policies of the current regime. I contend this current administration is implementing a variety of actions designed to systematically dismantle the America we know step by step. Oh you can pander and rant all you want, the bottom line is that in every post there is a kernal of talking points that you hit over and over just like any other good worker ant. So have a nice day. But I am through dealing with you.
  • BwaHa TruBluT... 2012/04/07 02:45:15
    BwaHa
    +2
    TruBlu! Great post. It's definitely from the heart and from what I've seen of this global mess you... all of us have every right in the world to be bitter. I'll vote to end this senseless bitterness in November.
  • my2cents TruBluT... 2012/04/07 19:54:05 (edited)
    my2cents
    +1
    You are a teacher in Texas? How do you personally feel about the war on teacher's unions? Texas might be a right-to-work state, but other states still have teacher's unions. Without a union to protect your interests, you can be fired at will.

The Republicans are the ones who want to eliminate the bargaining power of unions and want to eliminate the minimum wage, both of which directly impact your job security and earning potential. Yet you blame Obama for your tenuous job situation? Obama and many other Dems are the only ones standing between you and the Republican budget that would slash billions from aid to states for public education. If Ryan and Romney get their way, you very well might be out of a job.

Also, I saw the movie Hunger Games too and my daughter read the book so she filled in the gaps for me. In the fictional Panem, the elite in the cities who are supported by the outlying districts--the agricultural district, the coal mining district, the gem mining district, etc.,--are bored, so the games are their yearly entertainment, like an annual "Survivor". The government is set up like a monarchy--the peasants slave so the elites in the city can live in luxury. In the second book, there is another uprising that is ultimately successful. The story of Panem more closely resembles the story of the French revolution.
  • TruBluT... my2cents 2012/04/07 20:35:57 (edited)
    TruBluTopaz
    +2
    I don't like unions and I am not in one. Most teachers are forced to join except in right to work states. Unions are always the most costly sources of liability insurance and I've seen too many people dropped by unions when they needed real help. In addition the nepotism and favoritism in unions in big districts such as New York City and Chicago is legendary. In fact union activism prevents the firing of teachers who have no business in the profession due to illegal and immoral activities. There's an entire building to which these banned teachers must report and they get paid their full salary. Some of them have done this for years. Seems wrong to me, but if you like unions, then you probably like the waste they create. Comparison-to belong to TSTA-the Texas Branch of NEA would cost me five times as much as the organization I do belong to. That money would be better served lowering insurance premiums or providing daycare stipends, but instead goes to lobbyists and to largely Democrat candidates without any sort of polling of the rank and file. That's a fact.

I blame Obama for this economy because most schools recieve revenue based on property taxes. Lower property values mean less revenue. There's also the issue of millions of children of undocumented workers who use the syst...

I blame Obama for this economy because most schools recieve revenue based on property taxes. Lower property values mean less revenue. There's also the issue of millions of children of undocumented workers who use the system without paying taxes commeansurate with services recieved. When you have two or more families living in a single family home,and they all have kids, those kids are paid for by the portion of the rent that goes to property taxes. But these kids often are low income, so they get free breakfasts and lunches. They are often lacking medical care, so they get vouchers for that. They don't Speak English, so special programs are set up and paid for at every level. And because of their special status, their classes are smaller. Pity the kid of the average family stuck in classes with soaring numbers who can't get tutoring because everyone else is more concerned with the special kids.

As for Panem mirroring reality, consider that the coastal areas-especially urban areas-seems to be mainly "blue" whereas the interior areas are more designated as "red" Right now we are seeing a social war acted out against areas in the middle of the nation to exact revenue while urban centers absorb it with little or no change. Of course, this also figures into a large number of union workers who are not working because the economy is failing under the Geithner Obama regime.
  • my2cents TruBluT... 2012/04/08 05:57:02 (edited)
    my2cents
    +1
    What what what? There is a "social war acted out against areas in the middle of the nation to exact revenue for urban centers"? Geez Louise, lady. I hope you don't teach civics or human geography.

The RED states of the Union are the welfare guzzlers. Not the coastal urban centers where there is the most opportunity for employment, but the agricultural areas where manufacturing is shutting down and there is less opportunity for well-paid employment. Everyone knows southern states like Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, etc. take back around $1.80 in federal money for every $1 they send to the federal government in taxes. Those coastal blue states would be a hell of a lot better off without the backwater RED states sucking the fed dry.

And it's a good thing you don't like unions, because Texas doesn't give you the choice of joining one. So shut up with the belly aching about your job not being secure, that's what happens without a union.

I know Texas public schools are funded predominately through property taxes, I lived in Houston for over 10 years. If you're sick of the problems the illegals are causing, you need go no further than your own governor, Rick Perry. HE is the one who got booed by the Tea Party at the GOP candidate's debate by defending his state's practice of gi...

I know Texas public schools are funded predominately through property taxes, I lived in Houston for over 10 years. If you're sick of the problems the illegals are causing, you need go no further than your own governor, Rick Perry. HE is the one who got booed by the Tea Party at the GOP candidate's debate by defending his state's practice of giving in-state tuition to the children of illegals. It's those kind of illegal friendly policies that serve as magnets to illegals and exacerbate the problem. That and illegal-friendly jobs bills that allow illegal housekeepers and lawn maintenance workers to be hired and their employers not fined if they are discovered. It doesn't matter how much border fence you put up, illegals will find a way in as long as your state is holding out those kind of carrots to them.

You also must not be aware that the real estate bubble began a slow leak in 2007--what President Bush then referred to as "a rough patch"--culminating in the real estate burst of 2008. Your property taxes zeroed out in 2008, THREE MONTHS BEFORE OBAMA TOOK OFFICE. You think ANY president can wave a wand and make the "magic of the free market" do his will?

It took nearly 15 years for Texas home values to recover after the Savings and Loan scandals of the late 70s. It's probably going to take a lot longer to recover this time, because this time it's nation wide. Blame whomever helps you sleep at night, but you'd better at least start with Bush and continue on through whomever is President over the next 10 years, because there is now a glut of available housing that will keep home prices low for far into the future.

P.S. You'd better take a look at how the Ryan budget will effect you and your state. It CUTS FUNDING FOR BORDER SECURITY, which is mind-boggling after all the screaming the border states have been doing about securing the borders under Obama. And the Ryan budget also guts federal funds for education to the states at a time when state revenues from sinking property taxes are at an all-time low. It also cuts funds for those federally subsidized school breakfasts and lunches. If you think those low-income illegals are hard to teach now, just wait until you have to teach them when they're hungry and malnourished.
  • Donna TruBluT... 2012/04/18 02:47:55
    Donna
    Join the club. I am in the same boat but am single. So no help here & have never had a problem supporting myself. I am now forced to sell my home ( if it sells, otherwise i will lose my lifes savings.) From there, who knows where i will end up. I think what is going on in this country is so pathetic. I think that rather than grinning & bearing it, we need to speak up and/or get something going to back each other up. Americans are very proud & with pride there is silence. i dont think we can afford to be silent any more.
  • TruBluT... Donna 2012/04/19 00:58:12
    TruBluTopaz
    Donna, you have my sympathy. Clowns like my2cents seem to see this as nothing more than a trivial issue. As they say "A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose your job." These Obamabots don't have a clue. And I have been to enough different websites to spot their line of chatter. Many are paid. Few are genuine. Most are clueless. But I hope you make it through. Maybe you could rent your house or take in a boarder? My Mom did that for awhile.
  • Donna TruBluT... 2012/04/19 01:16:52
    Donna
    There is no ' clue' with these people. They always seem to be 20 steps behind reality. I even have a few of them within my own circle. Some people choose to live with ignorance. I have a possible job lined up. Great pay & 1/4 of the work I was doing at my last company. If that fails, I could take in a border, but I think I am going to try to get the equity out of my house while I can still make a profit, then move south & get a little house down there. That way I can get by on one of Obama's low paying jobs.
  • TruBluT... Donna 2012/04/19 02:16:21
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    Hey good luck on the job. My husband's heading to a convention in a couple of weeks. He has contacts in that industry, so he's hoping to talk to some people. We have in laws who are rampant liberals. And they are so stuck that even when you offer facts that are contrary to their world view, they won't listen. Of course that doesn't stop them from sending me every bit of liberal tripe they come across.
  • Donna TruBluT... 2012/04/19 03:27:06
    Donna
    +1
    I found this position thru a contact as well. I also worked w one of the hiring mgrs at my last job, which was huge company. I didnt know her there, but she remembered me & know she went thru the same hell. So hopefully it will work out. I've given up on the Libs, I just cant believe how hard they try to push their brainless nonsense on us...oh well. Hope all works out for your husband.
  • my2cents 2012/04/06 19:34:22 (edited)
    my2cents
    +3
    That's right, 1/3 of Americans ARE NOT WORKING!! And to prove it, I found some of them for you:

baby

Such lazy lay-abouts!
  • tom C my2cents 2012/04/06 21:10:14
    tom  C
    how did you know they are all liberals?
  • my2cents tom C 2012/04/06 21:24:02
    my2cents
    +2
    Because they're all real AMERICANS.
  • tom C my2cents 2012/04/06 21:52:31
    tom  C
    so....the only way to be a real american is to be unemployed?
  • my2cents tom C 2012/04/07 17:22:37
    my2cents
    +1
    The way to be a real American is to be BORN here.
  • Idiot r... my2cents 2012/04/07 00:48:43
    Idiot repubs
    Those grandparents and babies and students, stay at home moms, the sick and infirmed, those soldiers maimed, wounded or dealing with PTSD, freeloaders everyone of them
  • my2cents Idiot r... 2012/04/07 17:23:57
    my2cents
    +1
    Yep, all UNEMPLOYED Americans. Of course, Newt would repeal child labor laws to put kids to work. He'd better start working on a use for those infants.
  • Idiot r... my2cents 2012/04/07 17:27:05
    Idiot repubs
    They'll test cosmetics on them. This poll prompted me to change my avatar to Newt.
  • my2cents Idiot r... 2012/04/08 06:11:53
    my2cents
    +1
    LOL! Cosmetic testers! That's awful, but funny. At least PETA won't have a problem with that!
  • Idiot r... my2cents 2012/04/08 13:58:41
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    Full employment, we all have to pitch in, right?
  • TruBluT... my2cents 2012/04/07 14:47:08
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    You know, that's pretty funny. I guess it would be hilarious. Now why don't you go to a rest home and take pictures too. Sorry, if I don't find this an AMUSING topic. But I have bills to pay including TAXES that probably fund programs you use. Oh, and by the way, if that was at Parkland Hospital in Dallas, 70% of those babies would have been born to women here illegally who will probably walk their bills and I will have to help pay for that too. Thanks for bringing this to the surface.
  • my2cents TruBluT... 2012/04/07 17:36:02 (edited)
    my2cents
    +1
    The babies are Americans now. And yes, thanks to the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) that was passed by a Republican held Congress and signed into law by President Ronald Reagan in 1986 which makes emergency medical care, including care during active childbirth, a RIGHT for everyone, regardless of citizenship status or ability to pay, YOU get to pay for everyone who walks on their hospital bills.

And you thought all these so called "slacker laws" were pushed by Democrats!!
  • JohnT my2cents 2012/04/18 03:03:27
    JohnT
    +1
    Great facts and no response must have put her in shock, Bravo
  • Candy my2cents 2012/04/07 23:07:47
    Candy
    Only 16+ are counted and documented as making it known they have "No intention to work". Cancels your babies theory..
  • my2cents Candy 2012/04/08 06:14:55
    my2cents
    Oh bummer for the babies. HOWEVER, if someone over the age of 16 says they have "no intention to work", they're counted as wanting a job? That figures. How convenient for you!
  • dubbie 2012/04/06 17:48:30
    dubbie
    +3
    The messiah election year Miracle, Jobs are falling from the skys ,or maybe when he departed the oceans
  • Cliff 2012/04/06 17:41:04
    Cliff
    +3
    The MSM will have a hard time convincing the 1/3 that the recession is over.
  • my2cents Cliff 2012/04/06 20:24:38
    my2cents
    +1
    Here are some of the 1/3. Why don't you try explaining it to them:

babies
  • Cliff my2cents 2012/04/06 21:53:03
    Cliff
    +1
    Not my job man.
  • my2cents Cliff 2012/04/07 17:39:57
    my2cents
    ;D
  • Candy my2cents 2012/04/08 02:55:37
    Candy
    Once again, only 16+ are in this statistic. Your infant theory has been crushed.
  • my2cents Candy 2012/04/08 06:16:57
    my2cents
    Just because someone is old enough to work doesn't mean they want to work. High school and college students often have no intention of working, yet you count them as "unemployed wanting to work" all the same. That's why the figures are bogus.
  • Calm down! 2012/04/06 17:26:28
    Calm down!
    +3
    Even us lucky few that have held on to good paying jobs are getting pushed out and replaced with lower wage workers now. Many well know large companies are going out their way to get rid of all of the tenured, higher paid employees one way or another now to save money. Many of these large well known companies are claiming they are just improving, making future enhancements, or they might even raise required sales budgets to impossible levels so they have grounds to fire you. My work has fired tons of higher paid tenured employees this year and replaced them all with $8 per hour idiots!
  • my2cents Calm down! 2012/04/07 18:05:25
    my2cents
    +1
    But isn't that the free market way? Businesses exist to maximize profits, if they can do so by firing a 56-year-old making over $100,000/year and replace him with a kid right out of college who will do the job for $30,000/year, why not? Isn't that how the free market is suppose to work?
  • compufreek 2012/04/06 16:59:24
    compufreek
    +3
    I will be out of work in a couple of months!! After 13 years with the same company!!! Again, shipping jobs over seas because our country is business unfriendly with too much regulation and the highest taxes in the world!
  • Candy compufreek 2012/04/06 17:11:50
    Candy
    +4
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for the best for you and many others.
  • compufreek Candy 2012/04/09 11:36:14
    compufreek
    Thanks!!
  • JohnT compufreek 2012/04/06 23:36:44
    JohnT
    +3
    So man up and find something else. I had 27 jobs while working and supposedly the econmy was supposed to be good! That was from the 70's all the way through the 90's. My last job was the Dept of Defense and guess what base closures and layoff. Get used to it Current generation has no clue on what charlie hussle is all about. There has always been work and always will be, most don't want to get their hands dirty. I have worked in metal factories, glass factories, warhouses, soap factories and I do have a degree. It is called feeding your family and yourself. Anybody want bread with the whine?
  • compufreek JohnT 2012/04/09 11:20:23
    compufreek
    Why are you attacking me? I am not whining, I am stating the facts. I am now sending out my resume to many places. 27 jobs in 20 years, you must really be proud of that statistic. I have had 2.5 jobs since 1985!! The half job was when I was working part time and full time, so I had 2 jobs going at once. I also have a degree. I have to wonder what degree you have to have had 27 jobs in a 20 year period!!?? Associates or maybe it is just a certification?? So don't lump me in with the current generation, I know what it means to hussle and get my hands dirty!!!!!
  • my2cents compufreek 2012/04/07 18:12:35
    my2cents
    Are you sure those are the reasons your job is going over seas? Could it also be because businesses have lobbied for and gotten huge tax breaks for relocating overseas so it costs them virtually nothing to do so? The cost of moving a business abroad should have been a free market disincentive for not doing so. Instead, corporations have gotten that disincentive removed through tax laws. Don't you think this is part of the problem also, that the free market has been bastardized by special interests to the point where it no longer functions as a true free market?

2014/12/19 18:18:43