Two Newtown, CT Parents Open Community Arcade: Can Games Help People Heal?

In an effort to help the Newtown, Connecticut community heal after the December shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School, two parents—Andrew Clure and Scott Cicciari—have opened the Sandy Hook Arcade Center (SHAC).

The arcade’s website states, “As parents and Newtown residents of over 10 years we continue to grieve along with our neighbors and the world for the tragic events of 12/14/12. The world has been inspired by the strength and unity of our Newtown community and the support has been wonderfully overwhelming. We struggle to find a road or path to help us to move forward as we are enveloped by the love and donations that have been pouring in from literally everywhere.

“The core value of Newtown has always been family and in this time we find comfort in being together, neighbor to neighbor. With that thought in mind we want to draw on our passion and experience to build the Sandy Hook Arcade Center for the children and families.”

The arcade features over 22 games and attractions—many of which were donated by major game companies—including Pop-A-Shot basketball, the crane game, Pac-Man Battle Royale, pinball, air hockey, foosball, Xbox Kinect consoles, and a state-of-the-art photo booth. Geekosystem points out, “Not surprisingly, there’s not a plastic gun in site of any of the photos” on SHAC’s website or social media profiles.

SHAC is open Wednesday through Sunday and is free to Newton residents. Admission fees from non-residents, as well as donations through the website, keep the arcade running.

Read More: http://www.geekosystem.com/sandy-hook-arcade-center/

• John Walker II 2013/05/14 00:02:20
    John Walker II
    They can be a welcome distraction, because like all wounds, only time will heal.

Constantly mulling over what happens is the same as picking at a wound, it can't heal that way.
  • Bunnywithabowtie 2013/03/03 14:45:36
  • unseen 2013/03/01 20:03:31
    unseen
    What harm is involved?
  • Scrappyang 2013/03/01 16:37:32
    Scrappyang
    Most likely those at the school and parents who lost children or loved ones have PTSD. This is a good idea for the community to get together to have fun, but I don't believe it is a long range solution. perhaps it'll help remove the pain for the time spent there.
  • Squiddie 2013/02/27 06:22:45
    Squiddie
    The communitys never going to get over it. I get that the shooting was terrible but the entire communitys overdoing it
  • Sam 2013/02/22 20:14:15
    Sam
    I think the discussion needs to occur both between the people effected by this incident and the lawmakers. Arcades are a good way to get rid of pent up emotion for the young ones as well as counseling.
  • Rdtourist 2013/02/22 14:51:46
    Rdtourist
    No, it is a feelgood response, and they even promote dangerous activities, look at junior and his play with a death machine far worse than guns.
  • S123 Rdtourist 2013/02/23 04:09:50
    S123
    I doubt the parrents would chose violent games.
  • ☺Sunrae☺산럐☺ 2013/02/22 14:17:43
    ☺Sunrae☺산럐☺
    I wish i had an arcade in my town.
  • Joe 2013/02/22 03:22:55 (edited)
    Joe
    +1
    Yeah! Order pizza and stay out all night playing video games with your pals. Great for the kids, especially things like Dance Dance Revolution they could try, or my favorite HYDRO THUNDER. Also, to all the people saying "no," have you EVER experienced a REAL, ACTUAL SIZE arcade? They're awesome! And no kidding, video games ARE NOT rehabilitation, but this poll isn't stating it is. Let all the kids have a night where they can play games together for a low price/free event type night, and let 'em have a blast. No harm could be done.
  • piegirl333 2013/02/22 03:21:02
    piegirl333
    keeps their minds off the pain
  • Dydy 2013/02/22 00:56:10
    Dydy
    I like to play games to destress and forget stuff. I think it's a cute idea.
  • Sophie 2013/02/21 07:27:00
    Sophie
    Yes, if the games help bring the community together then it's a good thing. People that have shared a terrible event can help heal each other.
  • disclaimer 2013/02/21 06:41:52
    disclaimer
    +2
    It's not the games, it's the coming together.
  • CKarliner 2013/02/21 04:59:30
    CKarliner
    Little things help but the best cure for such emptiness is still unconditional love. Just being there, sharing silence, a shoulder to cry on. I know this sounds mushy and all but no, I don't think playing computer games will help all that much in healing the ways of the broken heart
  • dfldad 2013/02/21 03:46:20
    dfldad
    YES! It heals THE SOUL!
  • Junior the Outer Space Musi... 2013/02/20 19:40:08
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    They can also help save lives: I was playing Actraiser for SNES in my room(was 1:00 AM) when we were living in a two story apartment, when I smelled something horrible, so I went downstairs and found the living room full of smoke. My half brother(the one that died almost 2 years back) fell asleep on the couch with a lit cigarette and it was smoldering, but I caught it in time. Imagine if I had not been playing, but went to sleep, I wouldn't be typing this right now. Now that's just one story. It doesn't necessarily mean they do, just letting y'all know what happened. That's probably why SNES will always be my favorite system ever. That and for the games.
  • Claybern 2013/02/20 19:25:22
    Claybern
    It can't hurt.
  • bootlegga 2013/02/20 19:01:39
    bootlegga
    +1
    At the very least it can take their minds off the horrors that many of them no doubt relive every day. With enough fun and laughter, maybe these kids can heal the wounds inflicted last December.
  • drdos1943 2013/02/20 18:35:27 (edited)
    drdos1943
    Good intentions, but not effective in the long run.

Those who were in the Sandy hook school are psychologically damaged for the rest of their lives. Games will only bury their experience and cover up that experience temporarily... not cure it. Those memories will surface again and again, probably for the rest of their lives.
  • codie.paul 2013/02/20 18:18:35
    codie.paul
    Its a start. As long as they arent violent games, i think they should help. Kids love games, as do i. They are a great escape and lots of fun. So i think it well help somewhat. But i dont think it will help entirely. And i dont think those people will ever fully heal. After all how can you? But its really good to take your mind off things. You have to. And you have to move on.
  • Michael 2013/02/20 17:44:02
    Michael
    It depends. Violent video games are stressful, but your usual point and click adventure games, or hog games, or racing games, any game that isn't violent is great stress reliever, especially if its a game made for kids. Not counting sports.
  • Felicity Gale 2013/02/20 17:32:15
    Felicity Gale
    Only in a Walt Disney world can such trivia hope to heal... are these people barking mad.... sorry your only child is massacred... never mind here play Super Mario.... not to denigrate the idea totally... just the implied naivity.
  • deidara.trueart 2013/02/20 15:29:36
  • mike j 2013/02/20 15:25:20
    mike j
    +1
    NO, arcade games are not the way to salvation for what has happened in Newtown. Fathers and Mothers working with their own children , answer their childrens questions , show their children the moral way to live , demonstrate to their children the proper way to handle guns and impress on their children that what the guy in Newtown comitted was evil , and is not acceptable in any fashion and that the parents have expectations from their children to never, never, never commit such an evil act . What happened in Newtown is a tragedy and just plain deranged and evil and an arcade game is not the learning tool needed to repair the damage caused by the perp in Newtown. It is close parent and child love and understanding and parent expressing in strong terms what is expected of their child in behavior is what will bring recovery to those impacted by this tragedy.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/20 13:18:40
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    It might get their mind off of it for a while though.

Will this be another liberal gun free killing zone?
  • thomas.ilgenfritz 2013/02/20 12:50:40
    thomas.ilgenfritz
    depends on the games played..Some are better for you than others.
  • T 2013/02/20 11:00:24
    T
    At the very least, it's a distraction. In this case, that's not a bad thing.
  • American☆Atheist 2013/02/20 08:22:52
    American☆Atheist
    +1
    But then again, according to right-wingers video games cause violence and not guns.
  • Torchma... America... 2013/02/20 13:14:27
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    Ever seen a gun jump up, load itself with bullets, drive to a liberal gun free zone and shoot at people all by itself?
    if guns kill people how does anyone leave a gun show alive
  • codie.paul Torchma... 2013/02/20 18:20:45
    codie.paul
    good one
  • fluffy Torchma... 2013/02/21 06:01:27
    fluffy
    And toasters don't toast
  • America... Torchma... 2013/02/22 23:28:36
    American☆Atheist
    I seen people use them to murder, that is all I am worried about.
  • Sam America... 2013/02/22 20:17:23
    Sam
    carefull there some of us so called right wingers do play video games...i won't say its the cause for violence...people are capable of making choices of their own free will.
  • BornToBeWild 2013/02/20 05:36:51
    BornToBeWild
    +2
    Not when political anti-gun radicals use this tragedy for their own agenda's to infringe and gain more government control over our rights! They don't want and will continue to deny anyone to forget or move on!!!
  • America... BornToB... 2013/02/20 08:23:35
    American☆Atheist
    How do video games=gun grabbing?
  • SK-pro impeachment 2013/02/20 05:00:04
    SK-pro impeachment
    +1
    Only God can heal. of course always the last resort...if ever...when all else fails.
  • Hakking SK-pro ... 2013/02/20 18:56:35
  • SK-pro ... Hakking 2013/02/20 19:04:46
    SK-pro impeachment
    That's because God designed the body to heal itself.
  • Hakking SK-pro ... 2013/02/20 19:10:38

2014/07/29 04:49:53