Tornado in Joplin, Missouri, Is One of Deadliest in History: Would You Ever Live in Tornado Alley?

It feels like the nation (and the world) has been hit by one natural disaster after another -- and this time, it's a tragic tornado in Joplin, Missouri.

The death toll from the Joplin, Missouri, tornado has risen to 90 as storm experts describe the monster storm as a "once in a generation event."

The tornado blasted a six mile wide path through the city and left trapped survivors crying out for help this morning.

"You see pictures of World War II, the devastation and all that with the bombing. That's really what it looked like," Kerry Sachetta, the principal of Joplin High School, which was mangled by the tornado. "I couldn't even make out the side of the building. It was total devastation in my view. I just couldn't believe what I saw."

According to meteorological records, this tornado is the deadliest since 1953, when a twister hit Worcester, Mass., and caused 90 fatalities.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/tornado-death-toll-hits-9...

• marie 2011/05/23 21:52:42
    marie
    +10
    I've lived most of my life in the midwest. The people there are the best people anywhere in the world. Tornados or not, it's a great place to be. But, think about it, tornados can hit anywhere at any point in time. You can't know where a tornado will touch down. I've had close up experience with tornados myself and never been hurt (by the grace of God). There is one thing guaranteed in this life, you will not make it out alive. But, to live where the people are genuine is a blessing. My prayers go out to all the people affected by all the tornados this season.

• Just me ♥ 2013/05/23 01:02:38
    Just me ♥
    Yup...I always have.
  • ShikaNara 2011/06/05 13:11:04
  • Prairie Wind 2011/06/05 04:29:34 (edited)
    Prairie Wind
    Yes ,,, we breed tornados out here on the prairie, just so idiot storm chasers can follow them and exclaim, "Oh Wow! It's coming our way, let's get closer so we can look up inside it". Then, some have to learn the hard way, others survive and rebuild, living life as best as we can make it.

Oh yes, the hospital where my first son was born was wiped out and the new duplex was leveled.

Then ... the real insult ... Obama shows up for a photo op.
  • Watermusicranger 2011/06/03 15:24:40 (edited)
    Watermusicranger
    +1
    All my life. I love the Great Plains of Kansas.
  • DavidZubatuk 2011/06/03 12:25:22
    DavidZubatuk
    Sure, LIFE is a crap shoot...

life crap shoot tumbling dice
  • Advent 2011/06/02 01:29:26
    Advent
    I live in Upstate new york, the Adirondacks. We get snow, which is dealt with pretty easily once you're accustomed to it. However we don't get Earthquakes, Hurricanes, tons of Tornadoes, or any serious Flooding. And we sure as heck aren't getting any Tsunamis anytime soon. Which is a beautiful thing.
  • davidl 2011/05/31 12:46:20
    davidl
    I do now. Would you live where there are floods, fires, earthquakes, risks of falling meteors, snow, hot weather, hail, rain, cloudy days, or darkness at night?!!
  • Tailor Wilson 2011/05/30 20:33:20
    Tailor Wilson
    I live in Excelsior Missori and we have had the worse weather that i have ever seen. Just the other day we had atleast ten funnel clouds and three touchdowns in two hours. However the tornadoes didnt hurt any town besides Sedalia.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/05/29 04:43:47
    MOMMA THOMAS
    I'LL TAKE THE EARTHQUAKES HERE IN L.A.
  • moda 2011/05/29 02:39:23
    moda
    Yes. I live in tornado alley. Have almost all of my long life. Lived in Joplin for 5 years in the 90's. Went there a few days ago. Took some pics. My old home is destroyed. Unless you've been there to see the devastation, you cannot know how vast it is.
    If it meant a good job--yes!
  • MO.gal 2011/05/27 01:43:45
    MO.gal
    Yes, I was born here and grew up here.
  • Katrina 2011/05/26 14:27:06
    Katrina
    +1
    I've lived here my whole life...hehe
  • Denis B 2011/05/25 01:30:31
    Denis B
    +1
    I'd live anywhere that God sends me. Better to live in Tornado Alley than to exist where American values are absent. My prayers to Joplin and its residents.
  • metalmi... Denis B 2011/05/26 00:35:05
    metalmike13- Trust No One
    And where are American values absent?
  • Denis B metalmi... 2011/05/26 02:41:25
    Denis B
    Have you ever been to the ghettos of NYC?
  • metalmi... Denis B 2011/05/26 08:02:10
    metalmike13- Trust No One
    Not really. Oh and don't tell me BFE in the midwest doesn't have problems as well.
  • Denis B metalmi... 2011/05/26 09:55:45
    Denis B
    +1
    Count your blessings. My prayers to those who suffered disaster in Tuscaloosa, AL, Joplin , MO and Minneapolis, MN. Thanks to those who were able to volunteer in the rescue relief efforts.
  • Charles 2011/05/24 17:38:12 (edited)
    Charles
    +2
    Where else can we live? Tornado's hit almost every area of America at one time or another. They cannot be avoided, only tolerated and feared. I just lived through the worst Tornado to hit Tuscaloosa, Alabama.The main force of the Tornado missed me by 1/4 of a mile. I had trees down, power lines and debris all around, no power, no way to get in or out reasonably for 10 days. Total destruction just 1/4 mile away, everything wiped out. I've already spent $4000 trying to get cleaned up and no relief in sight, yet. It is a terrible experience. Horrible.

I have been to Joplin Mo. Many times, when I was trucking, still have a few friends there. I saw the Wal-Mart I have parked at many time while waiting for my next assignment totally destroyed. Several companies where I made friends I know were hit, all I can do Is pray for the recovery to come asap and morn the killed, injured and remember the families who will have to endure many months of misery..

Nature is uncontrollable, we should always be respectful of that one fact. Be ready for you never know when one of these monsters will land right on top of you. April 27, 2011 will always be the day I saw a REAL monster right in my back yard in the form of a twisting, swirling, ripping apart the world around me Devil bent on killin...

Nature is uncontrollable, we should always be respectful of that one fact. Be ready for you never know when one of these monsters will land right on top of you. April 27, 2011 will always be the day I saw a REAL monster right in my back yard in the form of a twisting, swirling, ripping apart the world around me Devil bent on killing and destroying whatever it could. A small piece of the main Tornado was right there in my space, I was scared out of my mind. Like being in the middle of one of my nightmares with no way to awaken. I lived through this one, I pray it won't happen again.
  • Welshtaff 2011/05/24 16:39:23
    Welshtaff
    Its bad enough living in a hurricane area, although we can get much more notice of a strike than those in tornado alley
  • Charles Welshtaff 2011/05/24 17:43:13
    Charles
    +1
    BUT, the Tornado's which are kicked up by the Hurricane come up so fast they are almost impossible to get warned about. Many times they just pop up and hit. Be ready whenever the Hurricane warnings come for tornado's too!
  • StAn 2011/05/24 16:04:42
    StAn
    +1
    I already do!
  • Mickeyva 2011/05/24 15:31:14
    Mickeyva
    +1
    I did when we were stationed in Kansas. I still sorta do.
  • politicalsoldier 2011/05/24 15:09:43
    politicalsoldier
    +1
    Come on people. Anyone that answered no must afraid of everything.

I've lived in tornado alley for over 40 years and haven't been hit by one yet. Not even close. So, where else are you going to live? In the earthquake zones? Where there's hurricanes? Or how about where they always have forest fires, wild fires or mudslides? How about a volcano? Do you realize how statistically rare it is to have your house struck by a tornado? Around 87 people die every year from lightning strikes. Are you going to dig a hole and hide from thunderstorms too?

There is no nirvana. Bad things happen. Always have. Always will. It's called life.
  • Charles politic... 2011/05/24 17:46:21
    Charles
    +1
    I've had damage for the past 2 years from Tornado's. I had $12,000 damage from a tornado last summer when a tree broke off and hit the house. Had $7,000 from the April 27 tornado. I am very aware of this weather threat now. I take shelter fast!
  • sjalan Charles 2011/05/25 16:53:27
    Just a suggestion but you may want to consider a Monolithic Dome home.

http://www.monolithic.com/sto...
  • politic... sjalan 2011/06/27 14:12:13
    politicalsoldier
    Those are cool
  • sjalan politic... 2011/06/27 14:32:32
    To date no Monolithic Dome has been so severely damaged that it had been penetrated by a storm except on the ground floor by storm surge. The design of that home was specificly designed that way to allow the surge to flow right through the bottom story and not affect the second story.

Those homes that surrounded that home were gone at the end of the storm.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch...

affect story homes surrounded home storm httpwww metacafe comwatch

http://www.domeofahome.com/da...

http://www.domeofahome.com/da...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6...
  • politic... Charles 2011/05/30 15:11:05 (edited)
    politicalsoldier
    God bless ya, man. Glad you didn't have a total loss like some. Hope the insurance company comes through for you to make it as easy as possible. Some how in 40 years I haven't been in it's path. I count my blessings.
  • John® 2011/05/24 14:57:06
    John®
    +2
    Funny: Everybody in the tornado alley voted yes, all other no. Very revealing.
  • Charles John® 2011/05/24 17:47:53
    Charles
    Tornado's hit in almost every part of America. Be aware no matter where you live friend.
  • John® Charles 2011/05/24 21:34:09
    John®
    Sure. Still funny.
  • clasact 2011/05/24 14:36:45
    clasact
    +1
    where is a safe place this year.We have had tornados from Mn to Al
  • Smarter... clasact 2011/05/26 07:03:02
    Smarter, then you!
    We just had some in freaking Northern California today! CRAZY!
  • clasact Smarter... 2011/05/26 10:36:12
    clasact
    we had one in NW Pa esterday so where is it safe
  • Sass 2011/05/24 14:20:23 (edited)
    Sass
    +2
    I live in tornado alley. I live in Indiana. live tornado alley live indiana
  • Mariann... Sass 2011/05/26 05:56:13
    Marianne723
    So do I....Kokomo
  • Account Closed 2011/05/24 14:18:26
    Account Closed
    +1
    Been there, done that and would do it again without hesitation if I decide to.
  • Herbtheman 2011/05/24 14:16:23
    Herbtheman
    I would find it crazy to live there.
  • nolibsp... Herbtheman 2011/05/24 14:35:30
    nolibsperiod
    Why?

2014/08/22 08:42:43