Top 10 ways Walmart is failing on sustainability

Samantha 2012/04/20 21:25:22
Walmart’s green PR machine has been running on overdrive lately. Over the past few weeks, the world’s largest retailer has announced six new solar installations in Colorado, unveiled its fifth annual Global Responsibility Report, and promoted a live webcast of its Global Sustainability Milestone Meeting. Walmart Chair Rob Walton donated $27.5 million to Arizona State University’s Global Institute of Sustainability, and both he and the company’s top marketing guy, Duncan Mac Naughton, spoke at the Fortune Brainstorm Green conference.

Why the gush of the green hype? Maybe to distract us from not-so-flattering news, like a recent Consumer Reports survey that ranked Walmart as the second-to-worst supermarket chain in the U.S.? Or to keep us from noticing the company’s evasions about whether it sells genetically engineered sweet corn or ground beef made with pink slime?

1. Selling Shoddy Products. Walmart drives down the quality and durability of consumer goods...

2. Reducing Waste According to Whom? The gains made by the company’s much-publicized store-waste reduction program are miniscule...

3. Lagging on Renewable Energy. At its current pace, it will take Walmart many decades to reach its stated goal of running on 100 percent renewable power.

4. Increasing Greenhouse Gases. Between 2005 and 2010, Walmart’s reported emissions grew by 14 percent...

5. Voraciously Consuming Land. Since 2005, Walmart has added more than 1,100 supercenters in the U.S., expanding its store footprint by one-third.

6. Financing Anti-Environment Candidates. Since 2005, nearly 60 percent of the $3.9 million Walmart has given to members of Congress went to lawmakers who vote against the environment...

7. Consolidating and Industrializing Food Production. Although Walmart claims to support “sustainable agriculture,” it has used its market power to usher in a larger-scale, more industrialized food system.

8. Redefining Local. Walmart claims to be increasing the amount of locally produced food it sells...

9. Degrading Organic. When Walmart talks about organic, it generally means big-brand organic versions...

10. Spreading Poverty. When Walmart comes into a community, incomes decline and poverty increases.

Read More: http://grist.org/business-technology/top-10-ways-w...

• VoteOut 2012/04/20 22:36:38
    VoteOut
    +4
    Wha iss green energy solar pv is not so clean and maybe more environmentally unfriendly as coal

• VoteOut 2012/04/20 22:36:38
    VoteOut
    +4
  • Samantha VoteOut 2012/04/21 15:50:06
    Samantha
    +1
    Your post makes no sense.
  • VoteOut Samantha 2012/04/23 11:43:02
    VoteOut
    +4
    Yes it does if you understand how solar pv works and are produced would you like to know?
  • Samantha VoteOut 2012/04/26 22:30:05
    Samantha
    +1
    There are hundreds of places in the U.S. where solar energy is being used effectively.
  • VoteOut Samantha 2012/04/27 00:16:37 (edited)
    VoteOut
    +4
    It is not cost effective or efficient yet nor is it clean. Did not say anything about it not being used effectively I have built my own off grid solar pv system. I ask if you know how solar pv is produced ? Do you know what REEs (rare earth elements) are?
  • Samantha VoteOut 2012/04/28 17:23:55
    Samantha
    +1
    Yes, I know about rare Earth elements, and I know how solar power is produced.
  • VoteOut Samantha 2012/04/30 12:28:49
    VoteOut
    +4
    good then you know that solar PV is not clean nor sustainble and puts the US under the dictates of China(like we are/was with the middle east for oil) who produces 95% of rare earths.

Did you know that oil is a solar energy?
  • Samantha VoteOut 2012/05/01 22:51:21
    Samantha
    +1
    We need to lessen our dependence on fossil fuels.
  • VoteOut Samantha 2012/05/01 23:29:13 (edited)
    VoteOut
    +5
    Fossil fuel is a misnomer hydrocarbons are a solar energy lessening the reliance on something that is still the most energy efficient to something that is not and still requires massive amounts of step mining is futile
  • Samantha VoteOut 2012/05/01 23:35:51
    Samantha
    +1
    You prove my point about U.S. energy policy which, at the moment, seems to rest on more and more subsidies to the oil industry instead of investing in renewable energy.
  • VoteOut Samantha 2012/05/01 23:49:36 (edited)
    VoteOut
    +4
    Its not so there are not oil company subdides as the Obama mantra affirmations try to make you belive , and in fact the oil companies are the biggest supporters, developers and producers of alternative energies with their own capital.

And they are far more productive and advanced at it unlike the friends of obama solyndra type companies that took taxpayer money and went bankrupt and layed off all their employees, that is not the case with big oil

So do you think we should keep and maintain renewable and alternative energy subsides and tax credits ?
  • Samantha VoteOut 2012/05/01 23:50:23
    Samantha
    +1
    Yes, there are oil industry subsidies and they cost taxpayers billions of dollars.
  • VoteOut Samantha 2012/05/02 00:49:16 (edited)
    VoteOut
    +4
    And which ones are those and can you explain how they cost taxpayers billions ? because its just not so.

So you are saying we should cut all the alternative and clean subsides and tax credits
  • Samantha VoteOut 2012/05/02 20:42:09
    Samantha
    +1
    Other countries, most notably China, are heavily investing in renewable energy. We must do the same. Instead, for the past decade we've wasted billions of dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • VoteOut Samantha 2012/05/02 22:06:24
    VoteOut
    +3
    you are not listening and very misguided
  • WannaBe... VoteOut 2012/05/02 22:37:45
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +3
    My God, she never even tried to answer you. Incredible.
  • Samantha VoteOut 2012/05/03 23:07:04 (edited)
    Samantha
    +1
    I'm not misguided; I support investment in renewable energy. China is doing it; why aren't we? The answer is oil companies have too much power in this country.

If there are no oil subsidies, why did the GOP Senate members oppose ending them?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/29...

I don't understand why people like you, when challenged, either resort to insults or make an absurd claim to "misguided." Do you have any manners?
  • VoteOut Samantha 2012/05/04 00:20:38
    VoteOut
    +1
    You are not challenge me and have not even rebutted what I have said only restate the prior statements. My apologies if you were upset by the misguided statement but also said you are not listening as part of that meant no intention of belittling if that is how you took it. But talk about manors is to not even read or respond to what I have written and just back and restate your point that I just contrasted and not really rebutted it, that would be my thoughts of someone not using good manors

Do you know the difference between subsides and tax breaks which can be tax credits or certain exemptions or concessions?

You link does not show the subsides the oil companies are getting so can you provide me the exact subsides they receive? If not then you are just putting out inaccurate information either of your own or what someone has told you if so then you are misguided.

I also pointed out to you that the Big Oil companies are presently the biggest developers of renewable energy and they are also probably the most productive at it and they do this with THEIR OWN capital yes they do qualify and apply for the alternative and renewable energy "tax credits" which allows them to keep more of their OWN earning if they use it for alternative renewable energy. Those are not subsides or mon...

I also pointed out to you that the Big Oil companies are presently the biggest developers of renewable energy and they are also probably the most productive at it and they do this with THEIR OWN capital yes they do qualify and apply for the alternative and renewable energy "tax credits" which allows them to keep more of their OWN earning if they use it for alternative renewable energy. Those are not subsides or money giving to them.

Money and subsides giving away would be like the Billions "giving" to Solyndra whom did not produce any renewable energy and went bankrupt and laid off their workers and gave bonuses to their executives and this was known prior to even giving them the money as they did not have a credible business plan. And then there is first Solar who got subsides to produce renewable energy products in America and after they received closed their doors and moved to China

So what do you not understand about that ?

Please answer the question I ask again yes or no

Should the US eliminate the tax credits the Obama administration put in place that oil companies use to develop and produce renewable energy resources when they are the most productive at and employ the most people?

Not using manors or maybe using propaganda techniques would to not honestly answer that simple question yes or no

2014/10/25 00:40:36