Top 10 Science Story of 2011?

Fef 2011/12/23 20:02:42

SLIDESHOW: Top Science Stories of 2011

Scientific American Top 10 Science Stories of 2011
1 of 11

1. Scientific American Top 10 Science Stories of 2011

2. #10 IBM's Watson Computer Wins on Jeopardy!

#10 IBM's Watson Computer Wins on Jeopardy!

In February IBM's Watson capitalized on its advanced natural language–processing, information retrieval and machine-learning capabilities to soundly defeat two highly accomplished Jeopardy! champions

3. #9 The Sun Sets on Solyndra

#9 The Sun Sets on Solyndra

Solyndra became a symbol of the failures of spending taxpayer dollars to support particular industries. The company, which pioneered cylindrical thin-film solar cells, filed for bankruptcy

4. #8 Gene Therapy Makes a Comeback

#8 Gene Therapy Makes a Comeback

The field is offering renewed hope for treating genetic disorders

5. #7 The Death of Steve Jobs

#7 The Death of Steve Jobs

Jobs's death came at a new peak of success for the company. After many earlier ups and downs, the company had brought to market during the 2000s an array of stunning new offerings

6. #6 The End of the Space Shuttle Program

#6 The End of the Space Shuttle Program

The launch of Atlantis on July 8 concluded the U.S. space shuttle program. After 135 missions flown in five orbiters over three decades

7. #5 Hint of Higgs Boson

#5 Hint of Higgs Boson

Physicists said in December that the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) had seen blips in its data consistent with the existence of the Higgs, a particle that has long been suspected to exist but has never been seen.

8. #4 Record-Setting Extreme Weather

#4 Record-Setting Extreme Weather

In 2011 the U.S. set a record in weather-related damage with 12 catastrophes that cost at least $1 billion each. Pakistan, the Philippines and Australia all had heavy flooding.

9. #3 Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos?

#3 Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos?

CERN scientists claim they've made neutrinos go faster than the speed of light, which since the time of Einstein's theory of special relativity has been considered the cosmic speed limit.

10. #2 Technology Fuels the Arab Spring

#2 Technology Fuels the Arab Spring

UofW study concludes that social media technology played a key role in toppling dictators in Egypt and Tunisia, although other experts debate just how much social media tools drove the revolutions.

11. The Japan Tsunami and Nuclear Crisis

The Japan Tsunami and Nuclear Crisis

On March 11, a catastrophic earthquake and subsequent tsunami killed nearly 16,000 people in Japan—and destroyed a nuclear power complex. 88,000 people have been evacuated from an area of 20 kilometers surrounding t

Top 10 Science Story of 2011?
Scientific American magazine published its Top 10 Science stories of 2011.

The Top 10 Science Stories of 2011

Tsunami-damaged nuclear reactors, Twitter-fueled political uprisings, a possible violation of Einsteinian physics--these and other highlights defined this year in science and technology

The respected journal of science couldn't include everything that happened in the busy year and I've narrowed the voting down to the top 3.
Some of our top choices could very well have an immediate effect on our lives. The impact of others may not be felt for years. Some discoveries may vanish altogether. We'll just have to see how things turn out in the years ahead. But no matter what, 2011 held big surprises in science and technology.

Read More: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=t...

• Horace 2011/12/23 20:20:15
    Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos?
    Horace
    +8
    This story was huge, and unlike the other stories it actually had to do with a scientific discovery. If this is true then the entire basis of particle physics is wrong and we might have to go back to the drawing board on relativity. I am not a scientist and I do not know as much about science as I would like to but this is fascinating.

• vis_viva 2012/12/30 19:17:09
    other...
    vis_viva
    http://phys.org/news/2012-12-...
    Higgs-like particle discovered.
  • sglmom 2011/12/27 05:44:39 (edited)
    Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos?
    This is the only one that .. in my opinion ... was exciting ..
    Actually dealt with true Scientific Discovery (in a thrilling way) ..
    and has the most impact as far as the future is concerned (Especially if validated via testing) ..
  • Amy.[: 2011/12/26 01:31:08
    Technology Fuels the Arab Spring
    Amy.[:
    Yeah
    other...
    I can't think of one.
  • Jayfeather 2011/12/24 01:14:26
    Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos?
    Jayfeather
    +1
    If it's true, everything we know about physics is completely wrong, and our view of the universe will have to be revolutionized.
  • sydneewashere☮ 2011/12/24 00:43:03
    Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos?
    sydneewashere☮
    +2
    The Theory of Relativity is one of the most fascinating theories out there! Of course anything related would be equally as exciting!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/12/24 00:10:43
    other...
    Lerro DeHazel
    Solyndra . . . Solar Panels . . .

BTW, do you know of anyone who might have bought one? . . . A Solar Panel, I mean? . . . ???
  • RosaG 2011/12/23 23:34:46
    Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos?
    RosaG
    +1
    Definitely!
    Ground breaking discovery!
  • Sean McDonald 2011/12/23 23:31:14
    Japan Tsunami and Nuclear Crisis
    Sean McDonald
  • Amber 2011/12/23 23:14:54
    Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos?
    Amber
    +3
    If the claims are true, it would pretty much blow my mind.
  • ETpro 2011/12/23 22:57:15
    other...
    ETpro
    +1
    If the FTL Neutrinos bears out, then it's #1. If not, and that's a distinct possibility, it's the #1 scientific blunder of the year. I was surprised that so many of their choices were as connected to pop-culture as they were to science.
  • ThankGOD4FoxNews 2011/12/23 20:50:24
    other...
    ThankGOD4FoxNews
    +1
    science is fake, god is real.
  • Fef ThankGO... 2011/12/23 20:58:49
    Fef
    +5
    both science and God can coexist ;)
    science god coexist
  • ThankGO... Fef 2011/12/23 22:47:30
    ThankGOD4FoxNews
    +1
    no, god hates liberal science.
  • peacelo... ThankGO... 2011/12/23 21:13:13
    peacelovesmiles
    +1
    Are you a nut job? .
  • ThankGO... peacelo... 2011/12/23 22:47:40
    ThankGOD4FoxNews
    +1
    no, i am a christian/creationist
  • 13_Junk... ThankGO... 2011/12/23 22:45:31
    13_JunkyardDog
    +3
    You just made my day, very humorous.
  • ThankGO... 13_Junk... 2011/12/23 22:47:51
    ThankGOD4FoxNews
    +1
    i am glad you have seen the light
  • 13_Junk... ThankGO... 2011/12/23 22:50:18
    13_JunkyardDog
    +2
    yes, it looks something like this
    super nova
  • ThankGO... ThankGO... 2011/12/23 22:52:00
    ThankGOD4FoxNews
    13_junk has blocked me because he was defeated. haha. dumb liberal
  • Horace 2011/12/23 20:20:15
    Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos?
    Horace
    +8
  • Fef Horace 2011/12/23 20:40:29
    Fef
    +2
    science like this proves the debate over "Global Warming" and nearly everything else needs to continue.... not shut.
  • U-Dog Horace 2011/12/23 20:42:32
    U-Dog
    +1
    Time will tell but I think the Neutrino claims are going to flop in the end.
    http://www.scientificamerican...

Astrophysicist and cosmologist Martin Rees of the University of Cambridge
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I think it will be perceived in retrospect as an embarrassment that this claim received so much publicity—the inevitable consequence of posting a preprint on the Web. Neutrinos were observed from SN 1987A more or less coincidentally with the explosion—not four years earlier, as would have been the case if the velocity difference had been the same as is now claimed (though, of course, the energies of the supernova neutrinos are much lower).

Theoretical physicist Steven Weinberg of the University of Texas at Austin, winner of the 1979 Nobel Prize in Physics
    The report of this experiment is pretty impressive, but it bothers me that there is plenty of evidence that all sorts of other particles never travel faster than light, while observations of neutrinos are exceptionally difficult.* It is as if someone said that there are fairies in the bottom of their garden, but they can only be seen on dark, foggy nights.

Theoretical physicist Lawrence Krauss of Arizona State University
    It is an embarrassment as far as I am concerned. It was not unr...
    http://www.scientificamerican...

It is an embarrassment as far as I am concerned. It was not unreasonable for the experimentalists to submit a paper with an unexplained result. But a press conference on a result, which is extremely unlikely to be correct, before the paper has been refereed, is very unfortunate—for CERN and for science. Once it is shown to be wrong, everyone loses credibility. Neutrino experiments are hard, and systematic errors at the limit of resolution can be significant. Moreover, because the experiment appears to violate Lorentz invariance, which is at the heart of so much known physics, one should be skeptical. One should be additionally skeptical because observations of SN 1987A showed, as I wrote in 1998, that neutrinos and photons travel at the same speed to one part in a billion, several orders of magnitude below the claimed effect. Now, the only way out of that is to have some energy-dependent effect, but all the ones that make sense don't wash here.
  • merlinskiss 2011/12/23 20:12:43
    other...
    merlinskiss
    +3
    Great post. Am a firm believer in technology and science. I only hope we can be smart enough to use everything we learn wisely.
  • Tropiceagle33 2011/12/23 20:11:07
    Japan Tsunami and Nuclear Crisis
    Tropiceagle33
    +3
    Japan Tsunami: 20 Unforgettable Pictures
    http://news.nationalgeographi...
  • U-Dog 2011/12/23 20:09:02
    other...
    U-Dog
    +6
    IMO, it is the fact that we are starting to find and study so many new planets.
  • 13_Junk... U-Dog 2011/12/23 22:47:17
    13_JunkyardDog
    +2
    I agree, I was disappointed that this didn't make the list, but the Death of Steve Jobs did. No disrespect to Jobs though.

2014/10/23 03:04:43