Tomorrow is December 7th PEARL HARBOR DAY!! Do you know anyone that was in WWII?

Drue-AFCL 2012/12/06 22:34:31
Related Topics: Pearl Harbor

• Drue-AFCL 2012/12/06 22:35:20 (edited)
    YES
    Drue-AFCL
    +13
    MY DAD. HE IS STILL HERE TOO! HE ACTUALLY ASKED ME TO POST THE QUESTION! HE WAS A MARINE.

FLEAGMLDGMDLS MARINE CORP

• William Gill~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/09 14:20:15
    YES
    William Gill~PWCM~JLA
    My Grand father was. 3 years in the Pacific. He talks about it with me sometimes but not often, you can see its still hard for him to talk about.
  • Broken 2012/12/07 17:43:51
    YES
    Broken
    +1
    Several of my uncles were in the Navy during WWII.
  • mjkowal 2012/12/07 16:32:16
    YES
    mjkowal
    +1
    My father was a Marine Sergeant in WWII and a SeaBee in Vietnam.
  • Mungu 2012/12/07 15:48:26
    YES
    Mungu
    +1
    My grandfather served in the south Pacific.
  • Birthpangs 2012/12/07 15:29:46
  • ALofRI 2012/12/07 15:24:42
    YES
    ALofRI
    +1
    A stepfather, several uncles and an aunt. I was too, on the "home front". I was 6-7 and gathered milk weed pods because that was what they made parachutes out of...Japan had the "silk", nylon was just getting started.
  • Ripley 2012/12/07 15:10:48
    YES
    Ripley
    +1
    several, but they are no longer living.
  • Gloria 2012/12/07 13:33:45
    YES
    Gloria
    +1
    I am a baby boomer so of course I know lots of WWII vets. My father died the after I was born. He had a heart attack because being in the Persian Gulf Command was too much for a man his age who had a heart murmer.
    My mother was in one of those veterans organizations. I can't remember the name but it wasn't the American Legion. Every national holiday we had to go to ceremonies where guns were shot, the pledge of alligiance was recited, speeches were made, songs were song, etc. Every time they got to the part of the song where it says, "land where my father died" I got more unhappy. All my friends who had young parents were at picnics and swimming and just having fun. I was a ceremonies with old people being dressed up in a creepy dress being unhappy about being a victim of WWII because my father died.
  • Ishmael 2012/12/07 13:23:08
    YES
    Ishmael
    +2
    My Dad was the Inadvertent Pacifist of World War 2. He was a civilian merchant seaman and was an Able Seaman aboard the SS William Mckinley about 500 miles ENE of the island of Hawaii on 12/7/41. He actually heard the radio distress calls from the SS Cynthia Olson when she was sunk by the IJN sub I-26 4 hours before the attack began. When the McKinley pulled into Parl on 12/9, he found out that, as a merchant seaman, he had a job skill critical to the war effort and a draft deferment for the entire war. His critical job skill? Taking the troops to the invasion beaches and droppping them off. So during the war, he took the troops to Dutch Harbor for the invasions of Attu & Kiska, sailed convoys across the North Atlantic in 1942, then took part in the invasions of North Africa, Sicily, Salerno and Anzio in the Mediterranean. Coming back to the States, he wound up doing 6 months in San Quentin prison for 2 counts of armed robbery, the ONLY time he used a fiearm in the entire war. He got out of the big House in mid-44, hopped on the SS John Drake Sloat in New York and took the scenic route to Noumea, New Caledonia and Iwo Jima where he sat for 103 days at anchor between Mt. Suribachi and USS North Carolina. He came back to the States at war's end and was drafted into the Army in 1946.
  • Gloria Ishmael 2012/12/07 13:35:19
    Gloria
    Thank you for sharing. That is really cool.
  • RogerCoppock 2012/12/07 13:06:05 (edited)
    YES
    RogerCoppock
    +2
    I know several Japanese Americans who were interned along with their families during the war. They are members of my Buddhist Temple, which was closed and vandalized during the war.

My dad, a Quaker, was interned in a US CPS concentration camp during the war. He lost toes on his foot due to starvation and frostbite.

My mother, a German Language teacher, translated captured NAZI documents during and after the war. To this day she would tell everyone who would listen that the Nazis were Bible believing Christians.

My Wife's Dad was a navigator in the US ARMY air cops. He flew many missions into Europe.

My Wife's mother and Aunt made tanks, real life Rosie the Riveters.

Many other people I knew, mostly teachers and ham radio buddies, were in the war. It must have been a life altering experience. I especially remember an English Engineering teacher, who was disposed of live bombs during the war. When a ticking package showed up in the classroom he carefully picked it up, gently walked across campus, and threw in in the swimming pool. It wasn't a bomb, but he wasn't taking any risks.
  • Gloria RogerCo... 2012/12/07 13:37:31
    Gloria
    One of my ballet teacher's parents were those camps. They became Catholic there. I feel so bad about it all.
  • RogerCo... Gloria 2012/12/07 13:43:04
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    Which camp, Japanese or CPS?
  • Gloria RogerCo... 2012/12/07 13:50:49
    Gloria
    Sorry Roger I don't really know but they were Japonese. It's been a while since I studied ballet.
    I also knew a woman who had a Japonese boyfriend. His father was in the camps too. He was way up in ranks to fight for reparations. Here again I never met the boyfriend or his father.
    I also shop at Toguri's in my neighborhool An old woman waited on me for years. After she passed away there were so many articles about her in the papers. She was Tokyo Rose. This is how she looked at the store.
    toguri s
  • sneekyfoot 2012/12/07 11:49:41
    YES
    sneekyfoot
    Harry truman should played the Hiroshimi piano
  • Osama McDonalds 2012/12/07 09:35:29
    NO
    Osama McDonalds
    +1
    I totally hit the wrong button.....my grandfather was in the Navy and, from what I know, he was in the Mediterranean during that later years of WW2. I also want to add that I lived in Hawaii for many years and have been the Arizona Memorial a number of times...and...every time I've gone there or every time I fly over there..I get emotional and humble with respect, pride, honor and love for those men that gave their lives. If you've never been to the Arizona Memorial, you must go.
  • postmamy 2012/12/07 08:40:57 (edited)
    YES
    postmamy
    +3
    we now korean people are living freely because of that U.S on demand ~~~

it was miracle to us specially here in south korea which is now that also in our text of korean history course to study ~~~~~~

sadly you do not know how had japanese soldiers been so cruel to our nation (south korea)
    this question is meant to be very faithful ~~~~~
  • StarWarsBob 2012/12/07 06:08:08
    YES
    StarWarsBob
    +1
    My father, my uncle, and my Godfather all served in WWII, and my father, brother, brother-in-law, and Godfather all served in Vietnam as well. My father landed in Italy, and moved up into Germany. My uncle flew cargo airplanes, and my Godfather was part of Patton's 3rd Army that headed the relief of the 101st Airborne in Bastonge, Belgium. He was awarded the Silver Star for that action.
  • Katherine 2012/12/07 06:00:09 (edited)
    YES
    Katherine
  • rk 2012/12/07 05:51:55
    YES
    rk
    +1
    My father, Uncles Bud and Fred NAVY
  • Woof 2012/12/07 04:59:39 (edited)
    YES
    Woof
    +1
    Yes I do! A great guy! He was in the infantry, 28th div. at battle if the bulge, the Ardennes, hedge rows, and so on. Four Purple Hearts siver and bronze star and wouldn't talk about it until later in life . One of the funniest men I've ever known and helped me personally when I became deathly I'll and faced the battle of my life, Joe was there and with his experience he understood my fear and pain. What a man. I lost my beloved god father Dec 7 2010. I miss him. He taught me not to buy into things like illness, he believed you must stay positive and fight back with certainty in your heart that your aren't going anywhere but better. I love him very much.
  • Charles E 2012/12/07 04:13:34
    YES
    Charles E
    +1
    Not many, and fewer every year.
  • Mrs. V 2012/12/07 03:58:16
    YES
    Mrs. V
    +1
    My 92 1/2 year old Dad fought in WWII. As did the majority of his peers.

And I will tell you this, he is very, very disappointed at the way the country is headed, and would never have believe that the United States would become so socialistic. He is a very young 92, uses an Ipad, cell phone, etc, still drives, plays golf, lives in 2 different states and still goes into the office when he is home. ,
  • trap flapper 2012/12/07 03:55:03
    YES
    trap flapper
    +2
    Yes, My dad and my uncles.....I remember my Gramma showing me the Gold Star Mom banners she had hung in her window for two sons in service......
  • democoach 2012/12/07 03:48:03
    NO
    democoach
    R.I.P japanese civillians who suffered from nuclear devastation, and aoplogies to those today with cancer due to the bombs
  • Sgt Maj... democoach 2012/12/07 19:37:40
    Sgt Major B
    "They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind"! On 6 August 1945, the Japanese people paid the price for State Shintoism, their silent but willing complicity in their Government's acts of genocide, and the intransigence of their leaders.
  • democoach Sgt Maj... 2012/12/07 20:51:31 (edited)
    democoach
    so according to you you are guily for all the atrocities your govenrment is doing? ok then where can i place a bomb? wher do you live?
    cuz thats what you are saying about the japanese people!

murderer you are! get a brain!the two bombs was a freaking genocide! the number of people japanese military killed at pearl harbour was pennies compared to the number of people america killed with even just the one freaking bomb!

stop trying to justify your countries fascist actions while hating others for doing the same damned things!
  • Sgt Maj... democoach 2012/12/07 21:11:57
    Sgt Major B
    First of all, your screed is typical of the left-wing and a snot-nosed whelp that's too dumb to research history. Also typical of the left is your pathetic grasp of the English language.

Try actually studying history and familiarize yourself with the atrocities perpetrated by the Japanese against the Chinese, the Filipinos, and the Prisoners of War that they held. The total dead from both Hiroshima and Nagasaki didn't equal the number killed by the Japanese in the rape of Nanking. You haven't a clue as to what actually happened.

The Japanese deserve no sympathy. Had there not been a Pearl Harbor, there'd never have been a Hiroshima.
  • democoach Sgt Maj... 2012/12/08 22:32:59
    democoach
    so that justifies american slaughter?
    when the world has had it with america and tdestroys america it will no tbe my fault nor will i sympathize with you arrogant cry babie
  • Sgt Maj... democoach 2012/12/08 22:49:06
    Sgt Major B
    Typical Canadian BS from a citizen of a country that's been sucking off the American largesse since the War of 1812. You and your ilk never seem to complain about US Militaery action when it keeps your sorry asses free at little expense to you and yours. Piss off, punk.
  • EDWARD G 2012/12/07 03:38:38
    YES
    EDWARD G
    +1
    My father, five of his cousins, 3 of my uncles, my father-in-law, neighbors, teachers, and others.
  • Rob Clary 2012/12/07 03:31:25
    NO
    Rob Clary
    +1
    All dead and gone...wow...I had not realized that until this very moment.
  • Mrs. V Rob Clary 2012/12/07 04:02:01
    Mrs. V
    +1
    No, they aren't all dead and gone, but most will be within 15-20 years. My dad is still living, he is 92.
  • Rob Clary Mrs. V 2012/12/07 04:09:28
    Rob Clary
    +1
    All those I knew personally...gone...blessing to your father!
  • ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆ 2012/12/07 03:11:49
    YES
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    +2
    My Dad was a pilot of a B-17 Flying Fortress.

b 17
  • Herbtheman 2012/12/07 03:11:26
    YES
    Herbtheman
    +2
    My Dad.
  • Leasheryn/Lady Willpower 2012/12/07 02:54:55
    YES
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    Yes, I had 5 uncles in WWII. 2 served in the US Army, 1 in the US Marines and 2 in the RAF.
  • Sgt Major B 2012/12/07 02:51:08 (edited)
    YES
    Sgt Major B
    +2
    Grandfather, father, 5 uncles, and Mom was a clerk for the Navy. In the small central NY town I was born and raised in, I never knew anyone from my father's generation that didn't serve in WWII.
  • RoyJLores 2012/12/07 02:43:26
    YES
    RoyJLores
    +1
    A few elderly neighbors of mine who have now all passed away did too part in that conflict one of them was stationed in Pearl Harbor days after the attack and the sunken ships were still burning in the harbor.
  • RobHom 2012/12/07 02:29:05
    YES
    RobHom
    +1
    A rather significant number of members of my extended family.

2014/04/16 07:40:15