Tobacco companies will be required to report the levels of dangerous chemicals found in cigarettes, chew and other products. Is that fair under the constitution and bill of rights?

bob 2012/04/02 16:13:07
Tobacco companies report the levels of dangerous chemicals found in cigarettes, chew and other products is constitutional
Tobacco companies report the levels of dangerous chemicals found in cigarettes, chew and other products is not constitutional
I am happy that Tobacco companies will be required to report the levels of dangerous chemicals found in cigarettes, chew and other products.
It is unfair that Tobacco companies will be required to report the levels of dangerous chemicals found in cigarettes, chew and other products.

• Jiorgia 2012/04/02 19:13:41
    I am happy that Tobacco companies will be required to report the levels of da...
    Jiorgia
    +3
    see now i dont like all of this constitutional/unconstitutional talk it should be about people, not a piece of paper.

i think that people should be able to make their own choices BUT ONLY after given all of the facts.
    i think the same for all products or services.

• nothingbutthetruth 2012/04/04 04:57:37
    nothingbutthetruth
    +1
    What took them so long! Million of lives could have been save. Maybe(:
  • Dynasty Fighter 2012/04/04 02:29:03
    Dynasty Fighter
    +1
    I don't like tobacco and don't really know if they .ae how much chemicals are in cigarettes
  • JimTheGeek 2012/04/03 13:57:10
    Tobacco companies report the levels of dangerous chemicals found in cigarette...
    JimTheGeek
    +1
    There's no consitutional right to smoke.
  • Eccles 2012/04/03 12:43:58
    Eccles
    +1
    Bloody Poison!
  • clasact 2012/04/03 09:33:49
    clasact
    I couldnt care less what warnning they put on it ,its not going to make me stop and I never read it anyway all its going to do it make the price go up
  • J-DUB 2012/04/03 06:47:11
    J-DUB
    +1
    The public has a right to know.
  • Redskin 2012/04/03 02:48:31
    Redskin
    +1
    At least people will know the amount of dangerous crap they'll be puttin in their system now
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/04/03 02:01:30
  • EpicStalkerCrayon 2012/04/03 00:14:25
    EpicStalkerCrayon
    Don't Smoke or Chew Tobacco. End of Point. :P
  • Cathy 2012/04/03 00:10:13
    Cathy
    That's a good thing, at least people will know what kind of chemicals are in cigarettes, chews and other tobacco products before they buy them. However, the choice is their to make.
  • HipJipC 2012/04/02 23:24:52 (edited)
    HipJipC
    How about this: It's illegal to knowingly poison someone even if you tell them the poison is there. Smoking isn't bad enough without that added toxic chemical incentive, right?

Me to Big Government: The damn poisons shouldn't be there in the first place! That's like telling a murderer that as long as he tells his victim what he's going to kill him with then it's all cool. If you die from it it's your fault and most of the public thinks that way too. Frigging idiot psychos making all the rules and even more idiot psychos that go along with them. Get that fluoride out of our water! Make mandatory removal of all toxic chemicals/toxins from our water, air, food and environment and put an end to genetically modified foods. I don't want a list of your chemical poisons! Go home and eat, drink, breath and smoke them yourself! Many companies just need to be put out of business completely. Topping my list is Monsanto!
    Edit: typo
  • Joker2874 2012/04/02 23:18:33
    Joker2874
    I think U should know what youre putting into your body..whether its cigarettes..food or meds..Its just that it hasnt really helped stop people from smoking..All those very uncom-fortable anti-smoking commercials on tv stil hasnt gotten my aunt to stop..I wish they would..She's got a horrible smokers' cough..which Im sure will turn into lung cancer, if it hasnt already..I hate cigarettes..They stink..It gives U numerous forms of cancer..I wish we could fire bomb all the tobacco fields, since cigarettes are that bad 4 U..But thatd B a tad too xtreme..
  • firebird 2012/04/02 21:59:23
    firebird
    I am glad to see this article... But, it wont make a dang bit of difference to these smoking addicts. They all have the outlook: it will either kill me or wont kill me...... BUT, what about the innocents around them? What about the second hand smoke? Its just as much the killer... Smokers aka Cig Junkies......
  • captainquiggle 2012/04/02 21:29:51
    captainquiggle
    It's unconstitutional to allow them to sell an addictive product to teens legally and not at least show how dangerous it is by their own admission.
  • A Founding Father 2012/04/02 21:08:18
    A Founding Father
    If milk producers can disclose the contents of their products, so can tobacco producers. Milk causes perhaps a dozen or so deaths each year, tobacco causes more than 400,000 deaths here in the U.S. each year, and twenty times that number across the world. They will have to make much larger packages or produce a "package insert" like pharmaceuticals if they list all of the 150+ chemicals found in a cigarette. I really will be interested to see a list of these poisons and substances.
  • DreamSpeaker 2012/04/02 20:38:46
    DreamSpeaker
    If they are going to sell their product to the population they should be required to report all the other stuff they put into the product that is not a natural part of the product. Food companies must so why not tobacco companies?
  • Tony 2012/04/02 19:57:50
    Tony
    Something is seriously wrong if in this day and age anyone needs to be told that cigarettes and chew is bad for you.
  • A Found... Tony 2012/04/02 21:11:51 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    Do you realize that most Americans are far more stupid than a resident in the rain forests of darkest South America? That is "seriously wrong", having a little knowledge and believing you grasp the realities around yourself.
  • bob Tony 2012/04/02 21:38:38
    bob
    ok old timer.... it been proven that cigarettes and chew will give you cancer. and don't expect the rest of us to pay the medical bills for your cancer.
  • bob bob 2012/04/02 21:39:16
    bob
    opps true
  • Tony bob 2012/04/02 21:42:30
    Tony
    anyone who, within at least the last 20 - 25 years, begins smoking or using chew gets no sympathy from me if they get cancer.
  • l 2012/04/02 19:45:09
    l
    +1
    It's about time! I heard there are 100 different chemicals in cigarettes Maybe now they will at least remove these chemicles. Tar and nicotine are bad enough!
  • Greenbay 2012/04/02 19:41:04
    Greenbay
    +1
    It's a little overkill
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/04/02 19:39:45
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    I don't know if it's constitutional or not but at this point everyone knows the dangers of smoking. Add them or not, I doubt it will make any difference to those who choose to smoke.
  • cellophane 2012/04/02 19:25:45
    cellophane
    +2
    And tobacco companies should be required to report those levels.

That being said, let's have every other industry report the levels of their chemical fertilizers, hormones, chemicals, and other potentially hazardous materials in every item of food or drink. That should be fair as well.
  • bob cellophane 2012/04/02 19:33:54
  • Jiorgia 2012/04/02 19:13:41
    Jiorgia
    +3

• Teri- Oregon 2012/04/02 19:11:36
    Teri- Oregon
    +2
    it won't matter, I'll still smoke
  • A Found... Teri- O... 2012/04/02 21:13:20
    A Founding Father
    Death wish? It's very painful and can last for years.
  • Mark 2012/04/02 18:32:37
    Mark
    +2
    I have no idea what you constitution says, but if food companies have to tell you that pizza has cheese, cigarette companies should state that their products contain benzene
  • Tommy 2012/04/02 18:24:14
    It is unfair that Tobacco companies will be required to report the levels of ...
    Tommy
    +2
    This is sort of stupid. Everyone knows that tobacco is a dangerous addictive habit and if your afraid of it Well don't smoke. Does the public have to be told ? What about fast food, alcohal, certain prescription drugs etc, etc, etc. I guess the next thing the government will do is put warning lables on the bumpers of automobiles. If you stand in the path of a car you could be killed. Just read fast before you get your dumb a$$ ran over.
  • A Found... Tommy 2012/04/02 21:16:09 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    That is probably a good idea. In recent years young people everywhere walk out in front of cars all the time, just daring someone to run over them. It's part of their juvenile attitudes of "me", "it's all about me and my rights and privileges".
    +2
    Reporting these does not seem to be unconstitutional, it would fall under regulating commerce I think.

What I do not understand is spending billions on regulating, ads telling us how bad cigs are, and farm subsidies to the growers - if they are killers, why are they legal??
  • Nate Hu... Jackie ... 2012/04/02 18:28:39
    Nate Hubert
    +3
    For an answer to your question - Look to the Prohibition era or the "War on Drugs" as an example. While it would eliminate the costs of regulation, PSA's and the like, new costs would not only replace the old but would most likely surpass them. We would have to jail people who broke the new laws, spend more money to enforce the laws, spend money cracking down on tobacco dealers, spend money restricting the flow of tobacco into our borders, spend money cracking down on tobacco growers and cigarette makers... Besides, people would find ways to get tobacco anyway. They always do.
  • Jackie ... Nate Hu... 2012/04/02 18:31:45
    +2
    LOL - you may be right - personally I think it is the taxes that our government enjoys since most of the price is taxes
  • Nate Hu... Jackie ... 2012/04/02 23:39:53
    Nate Hubert
    +1
    Agreed!
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/04/02 17:59:21
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    +3
    If tabacco companies have to do it and I don't mind that I think all companies have to do it.
  • Kira 2012/04/02 17:39:14
    Kira
    +2
    dude...people have the right to know what they are doing to themselves. you dont like it? go smoke some f*cking weed bro.
  • The Nixus 2012/04/02 17:33:47
    The Nixus
    +1
    They hide things just to make money.... So why make tobbacco companies do it? There should be a watchdog managed by central government but there again government makes so much money, more that the tobbacco companies themselves will they be honest? doubt it.

be wise, be smart think with your heart.

love peace and light to all
    namaste
  • Someone Else 2012/04/02 17:21:50
    Someone Else
    Sure

2014/10/01 00:26:57