To whip or not to whip - That is the question?

Mom *Standing in the Christian Line* 2009/02/14 06:07:39
Mom, there is absolutely no reason to ever spank a child.
Mom, I believe in ''spare the rod and spoil the child''
I believe that all parents have the right to teach their children right from wrong. And, if this can only be accomplished through a good old fashioned whipping then I'm for it. I thoroughly believe that there is a world of difference between ''whipping'' and ''beating''.....
ABUSE in any form is not to be tolerated.

• Mom, there is absolutely no reason to ever spank a child.
    Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    +4
    I think Children can be raised a lot better, if the Parents start using a little Psychology, rather than using 'soft' violence to discipline.

Violence in any form is a sign of failure. It's proof that a person cannot express their point in a way the Child will understand and so they resort to violence in order to make their point.

People who use violence to communicate are often people who lack the ability to express themselves in an intelligent way. IMHO. :o)

• JCD aka "biz" 2009/11/30 13:32:47
    JCD aka "biz"
    I am against whipping. A rare spanking with your hand on the kid's clothed butt might help, although I was never spanked by my parents and I never spanked my children.
  • Jon 2009/06/03 22:41:53
    Jon
    I think you should forget the whip, and just spank either by hand, or with a hair brush. forget whip spank hand hair brush
  • jess - free to be me 2009/02/18 03:48:32
    jess - free to be me
    +1
    however I do agree that some parents can go overboard BUT I was spanked it did work and I do spank if needed.
  • noname 2009/02/15 23:32:27
    noname
    +1
    When reasoning has failed, when taking away 'stuff' isnt working, when time outs is time wasted, and before you sink your money into therapy you need to show your child your word is the rule and I believe some time spent on their buttocks is valid. I was spanked as a last result and knowing I pissed my dad off to the point where he hit made me think.. I never had a desire to kill afterwards, didnt turn into a hooker, it simply forced me to listen. Yes I said forced, some of us are hardhead so get over yourself if you think a little spanking is abuse...its not. Obviously chaining your child to the heater and feeding them scraps along with a daily beating with a belt or a switch is a different matter entirely. Dont be such a pussy America..
  • NorthSunFlower 2009/02/15 03:08:32
  • myssabz 2009/02/14 19:24:22
    myssabz
    +1
    Sometimes a spanking gets the point across a lot quicker and better then other forms of discipline. When I used it, it was to get their attention at what they were doing, a last resort because other disciplines didnt work, or just a quick "hey, dont do that now you made me mad." It was always controlled and I didnt not give more then a swat or two. My mom would lose her temper and wail on us and we usually forgot what we even did wrong and so I dont want to repeat that. I dont regret our spankings as I feel they got the point across that we did something wrong and I definitely dont regret the spankings I delt out. Too many children today do not receive any form of discipline and our quite spoiled. I work in a high school and see too many "whats in it for me" attitudes. delt children receive form discipline spoiled work high school attitudes delt children receive form discipline spoiled work high school attitudes
  • Its Ms.MiMi,b!tch 2009/02/14 19:23:41
    Its Ms.MiMi,b!tch
    +1
    mostly on the type of offense..
  • realin 2009 2009/02/14 18:45:18
    realin 2009
    +2
    i was disiplined with spankings and would thank my father today if he were still alive...children today are spoiled and most parents are being lazy with this"talk to our children" attitude...and the spoiling....i am 30 and hate the weak decadent brats that were apart of my generation and passing it on to their children
  • sudee 2009/02/14 06:43:18
    sudee
    +2
    In the State of Michigan there is laws on the books that allow a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle to spank a child (under the age of thirteen)....as long as there are no bruises, laserations, contusions, hemerages, or fractures.....and the childs rear has to be covered (clothes). This law is on the books; but, the state and FIA tells the parents that it is agianst the law...that is faults and undermines the parents ability to make consiquences for the bad behavior that children have so easily come to learn from peers and adults that refuse to correct it before the child starts controlling the adult.
  • Mom *St... sudee 2009/02/14 06:45:21
    Mom *Standing in the Christian Line*
    ...when my son started school........he came home and told me that I could not whip him when he was bad, because his teacher said he could call the police.......I went over and picked up the phone.....and handed it to him.......told him ''you'd better go ahead and call then.......''
  • NorthSu... Mom *St... 2009/02/15 03:08:13
  • Dammit Yammit 2009/02/14 06:38:54
    Dammit Yammit
    +2
    I got spanked when I was a child and Im a better person for it.
    I do believe that it changes who you are and how you act as an adult.And there are some adults who still need disciplined from the way their children act in school and public.
    +4

• Mom *St... Dark De... 2009/02/14 06:41:04
    Mom *Standing in the Christian Line*
    +2
    hmmmmmmm.......I spanked my children.........and I communicate with others very well........and expressing myself....is one of my fortes'. And......you already know I'm intelligent..........lol
  • Dark De... Mom *St... 2009/02/14 06:46:12
    +1
    So I take it that you disagree with me. :o)

What brings you to the point where your instinct is to smack? It's usually because either nothing else works or because it's your instinct to hit out.
  • Mom *St... Dark De... 2009/02/14 06:50:28
    Mom *Standing in the Christian Line*
    +1
    oh contraire my friend.........I spanked my children because I believe in every parents right to correct (if you will) their children. I grew up in a very abusive household..........I know the difference.......I did not begrudge whippings that I deserved.....those that I received because I conscioustly made a decision to do something that I knew I should not do. My spanking my children......is not.....or was not.......an ''instinct''.......
  • Dark De... Mom *St... 2009/02/14 07:00:24
    +1
    And there are no other ways of 'correcting' a Child's behaviour? No 'better' ways of delivering the same message?

Even though you were smacked as a Child, did it make you stop doing bad things in the future or just less likely to do them when your Parents are around? What difference did it make?

I was given the Slipper a few times and Smacked a lot as a child, but I don't think it has made any difference to who I am. It certainly didn't make me any more respectful or better able to function. :o)
  • Mom *St... Dark De... 2009/02/14 07:26:16
    Mom *Standing in the Christian Line*
    +2
    The spankings definately helped to form me into being the warm respectful loving person that I am. The abuse........did nothing but make me determined that my children would never know that hurt.
  • NorthSu... Mom *St... 2009/02/15 03:01:18
  • emmamess ~ In My Conscience... 2009/02/14 06:24:46
    emmamess ~ In My Conscience I Trust ~`
    I've popped my sons already - for talkin to me a certain way - and i've also snapped at times when my nerves were on edge over something stupid. If I woulda only popped em for a good reason (talkin to me with disrespect) they woulda learned more from it than they did - cuz I snapped for the wrong reasons as well. Thank God - they have learned not to talk to me a certain way - without me havin to continuously pop em - and yet they both still have a free-spirited attitude and are not afraid of me when I snapped cuzza my nerves. I always did apolozie and hug em - and let em know I was wrong when I poped em cuzza my nerves though - but administering physical discipline can be a difficult thing. I also let em know when I popped em for talking to me wrong - that I felt no remorse and they had a pop comin. Not abusive - but like you mentioned a beating is abusive - but i don't like the word whip either - I popped em on the flesh of their leg - or even upside the head - but gently on the head - just enough to feel it in the noggen and jar some sence.
  • Bruce - RWNJ 2009/02/14 06:12:13
    Bruce - RWNJ
    +1
    If you leave a mark you've gone to far, but a good swat never hurt anyone.
  • TJ- Genetically Superior 2009/02/14 06:10:28
    TJ- Genetically Superior
    +1
    It shouldn't come to that though if they're raised right.

2014/07/28 06:21:09