To Christians: When you pray, do you pray on your knees or just in whatever position you happen to be in at the time it hits you to pray?

moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust" 2009/03/29 01:01:03
I believe that God hears all of our prayers no matter where we are or what we are doing at the time, but there are times when I feel like praying on my knees is more respectful.

• glass_butterfly ~YSU~ 2009/03/29 01:29:53
    Always
    glass_butterfly ~YSU~
    +6
    pray in whatever position i'm in as long as i'm sitting up! God can hear our prayers no matter what position your in...just as long as it's respectful thats what i was taught...it doesn't have to be on your knees! pray position god hear prayers position respectful taught knees

• Byzantine_Catholic 2009/05/28 18:36:34
    Byzantine_Catholic
    +1
    Its an eastern tradition to Stand for prayer and face east.. Making deep bows while making the sign of the cross Unless its a penitential day (Fridays) where we would kneel for prayer.

Good Friday we crawl on our knees to venerate the Tomb
  • moorrbr... Byzanti... 2009/05/29 16:19:29
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    I had some close friends growing up who were Catholic and I used to go with them to Church occasionally.
  • Byzanti... moorrbr... 2009/05/29 16:21:37 (edited)
    Byzantine_Catholic
    +1
    What is your faith background ?

I am an eastern catholic which is basically Orthodox but in communion with Rome ( western Catholics)

Our beliefs are generally the same but how we express them are different ( like standing for prayer)
  • moorrbr... Byzanti... 2009/05/29 16:31:15
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    I was raised Pentecostal Holiness. Most of my beliefs are still along those lines, though I believe that they place too much emphasis on hellfire and brimstone preaching.
  • Byzanti... moorrbr... 2009/05/29 16:40:08
    Byzantine_Catholic
    +1
    I have been to a Pentecostal church before .. LOTS of praise and Joy

We are too "stuffy" for that .. our Liturgy goes back to the 4th century although.. we do shout out some traditional christian greetings ..

Priest: " Christ has Risen"
    Resp: " Indeed he as Risen"

or in Church Slavonic ( we are still a bit of a ethnic church)

Christos Voskrese!
    Voistinu Voskrese!
  • Cookinfool 2009/05/28 15:16:41
    Sometimes
    Cookinfool
    +1
    I talk to God all the time and pray often in all sorts of situations; but when I have my quite time being on my knees, humbled always by His greatness! He is an awesome God. All praise and glory to God Most High!
  • Yume Supernova *~Never Forg... 2009/05/26 20:15:47
    Yume Supernova *~Never Forget How to Dream!~* God Bless America
    +1
    It's pretty much a big whatevs for me.
  • Linkums 2009/05/26 19:57:33
    Sometimes
    Linkums
    +2
    I just pray in whatever position I am at the time.
  • moorrbr... Linkums 2009/05/26 20:05:31
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +1
    Same here. Unless, I have a special request and am in a location where I can be more humble.
  • AmmoLou 2009/05/14 16:38:50
    AmmoLou
    +2
    as long as I pray with my heart is what matters. Driving, walking, or just sitting. Lord jesus will hear your prayer.
  • moorrbr... AmmoLou 2009/05/15 04:04:38
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    I agree.
  • y so serious 2009/04/28 23:54:32
    Sometimes
    y so serious
    +2
    Whenever, however, he doesnt mind.

However if I have the time I get on my knees, but never in the mourning, I go to sleep doing that.
    Sometimes
    +1
    when in church....my morning prayer is offrering my day to God
  • d1234 2009/04/17 02:29:41
    Sometimes
    d1234
    +1
    Sometimes I do it kneeling other times sitting and other times standing it really depends where I am at. I know that god can hear us no matter what.
  • josh 2009/04/17 02:10:33
    Sometimes
    josh
    +1
    sometimes kneeling,sitting,walking,just standing, laying face down on floor
  • Sadie100~In God we trust~ 2009/04/17 01:51:44
    Sometimes
    Sadie100~In God we trust~
    +1
    I pray on my knees, if i'm in church. I pray whenever I think of someone that needs prayers, I pray a lot when I'm driving. My mind wanders I guess when i'm driving, and I pray for everyone!!
  • Kar 2009/04/17 01:31:41
    Sometimes
    Kar
    +1
    Kneeling when praying helps one to have the right mental attitude. It is a most respectful way to approach the Sovereign of the universe. (Eph. 3:14)

Talking with God is a matter of the heart as well as the mind. Rather than a special physical position or a place to pray, it is what you say and the motive behind the words that count.

Nice question.... :-)
  • Mommycakes;) 2009/04/03 17:38:11
  • Vintage 2009/04/02 21:31:26
    Vintage
    +1
    I pray in whatever stop I want to. I think its catholics that pray on their news, but they also pray prayers written already. I use my words, or pray with someone. You hards don't have to be clasped in any way eaither.
  • Dan 2009/04/01 08:28:51
    Sometimes
    Dan
    +1
    Kneeling to God (either at the bed or the church altar) indicates submission to the Lord Jesus and God. I kneel at times, sometimes I pray while driving. When I have defied God (sinned/back-slided), I have definitely knelt before God. When I incur God's wrath (because of my sins) and I really needed to reconnect with God, I have prostrated myself (lying face down on the ground) as the Hebrews did in acts of sincerity. I've even covered myself with ash, when I needed God to know I was being sincere. This is NOT religious dogma (done in front of others); it is what I have had to do before to ask God to lift his wrath from me and rebestow his blessings to me and my family once again.
    There is no greater love than to know the love of God through Jesus Christ. We can only appreciate this when WE are right with God. We ARE our own worst enemies (but most people are too self-righteous to admit that).
  • alegra::Anti-Choice:: 2009/03/31 16:24:19
    alegra::Anti-Choice::
    +1
    I believe that prayer is a conversation with our heavenly father, it doesn't matter where or how you do it.
  • haylee 2009/03/31 04:40:39
    haylee
    +1
    i pray when/where ever the mood strikes, and i believe they are all heard, and all equally important.

I believe, in my life, praying on my knees ~ with regularity and dedication has always shown the hugest results. It denotes a humility, and, as i mentioned, dedication.

*sigh* i keep saying i need to get back to doing that...mentally floggin myself right now.

• Whitese7en 2009/03/30 20:50:20 (edited)
    Sometimes
    Whitese7en
    +1
    Sometimes on my knees and sometimes not. There is no wrong or right position for praying.
  • SABLE 2009/03/30 18:51:32
    Sometimes
    SABLE
    +1
    I use to pray on my knees but with arthritis, it's not possible. I believe God hears us whatever we do. I pray while I work, while I take a shower, while I walk outside. lying down in bed at night and, of course, in church.
  • Dan SABLE 2009/04/01 08:30:43
    Dan
    +1
    Our heavenly Father knows your pain and your sincerity. May He bless you, in Jesus name, Amen!
  • SABLE Dan 2009/04/01 14:48:30
    SABLE
    +1
    Thank You and Bless You for spreading His word.
  • joanie baloney 2009/03/29 22:51:26
    Sometimes
    joanie baloney
    +1
    There are times the Spirit takes me to my knees or on my face. I have relationship, so I talk to God many times a day. I do a lot of my communing while driving.
  • Extremist Soldier of Christ 2009/03/29 12:42:54
    Always
    Extremist Soldier of Christ
    +1
    When I humble or when I address a petition to Him is when I get on my knees, the other times, I am on a friendly basis with our Creator. I get up in the morning and I threw a small kiss to the heavens and when I go to bed at night, I wish my G-d a good night. When something good happens to me in a blessing, I throw a kiss to the heavens. The only time I do not pray is when I am in the toliet- but I do speak to G-d because HE sees everything. People are not scare of G-d anymore, and this is why there is so many unbelievers. I am scare of His Wrath and His painful rod of judgment upon me when I die. I have seen stages of my life already through a near death experience. I heard things you could never imagine and seen things that would scare you, so, yes, I do pray, and I pray that this country come back to G-d and give us the strength again to love His body that we are living on. Our lives are in the hands of the Creator as an "unfinished woven carpet" and He is not finished with us in this body. I believe very hardly in the spiritual dimensional worlds because I have had the honor of seeing them so I can explain to others that there is a G-d and that he did in fact gave up part of his body to save us from these terrible sins, in the Lord Yeshua Christ, and if we are to abide by th...''
    When I humble or when I address a petition to Him is when I get on my knees, the other times, I am on a friendly basis with our Creator. I get up in the morning and I threw a small kiss to the heavens and when I go to bed at night, I wish my G-d a good night. When something good happens to me in a blessing, I throw a kiss to the heavens. The only time I do not pray is when I am in the toliet- but I do speak to G-d because HE sees everything. People are not scare of G-d anymore, and this is why there is so many unbelievers. I am scare of His Wrath and His painful rod of judgment upon me when I die. I have seen stages of my life already through a near death experience. I heard things you could never imagine and seen things that would scare you, so, yes, I do pray, and I pray that this country come back to G-d and give us the strength again to love His body that we are living on. Our lives are in the hands of the Creator as an "unfinished woven carpet" and He is not finished with us in this body. I believe very hardly in the spiritual dimensional worlds because I have had the honor of seeing them so I can explain to others that there is a G-d and that he did in fact gave up part of his body to save us from these terrible sins, in the Lord Yeshua Christ, and if we are to abide by the faith he has given us through the redemption. But, you can't explain this to bi-sexuals or homosexuals or evildoers. They just don't understand what type of cleanness role they have to be in when they go to the next level of their spiritual life. bi-sexuals homosexuals evildoers understand type cleanness role level spiritual life
  • Laura 2009/03/29 12:30:18 (edited)
    Sometimes
    Laura
    +4
    I talk to God all the time, in the car, during a walk in the forest preserve, when I watch the news, whenever so I'm sitting, standing, lying down, etc.

During the elections I spent alot of time on my knees in repentance and asking God to elect a man of God as the leader of our nation.

Unfortunately, God's answer for those prayers was "No, not now."

I hope God will get the attention he deserves now that He has allowed such an evil person to be elected to lead our country.

I think this nation needs to spend alot of time on it's knees begging for mercy in the times ahead.

We cannot deny that things are going to get real BAD!
  • moorrbr... Laura 2009/03/29 22:03:24
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +2
    Agreed.
  • Anouser 2009/03/29 09:48:05
    Anouser
    *Snort*

They're on their knees...with their eyes closed.

*Bites down on lip*
  • Chamberlain Davis 2009/03/29 05:01:09
    Sometimes
    Chamberlain Davis
    +2
    I pray on my knees at times and other times, just whatever and wherever I am at the time. We are to always be mindful of God.
  • moorrbr... Chamber... 2009/03/29 22:05:08
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +1
    Pray without ceasing.
  • ihatedemsandtaxeswithapassion 2009/03/29 04:58:19
    ihatedemsandtaxeswithapassion
    +1
    it just depends on the moment... sometimes its layin down other times its sitting in my truck going to a fire.. it just depends... if its at church... well im catlick so its sitting standing or kneeling or all at once if ya know what i mean...
  • moorrbr... ihatede... 2009/03/29 22:06:31
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +2
    I'm not Catholic, but I was raised Pentecostal. We get to run around and shout. lol
  • ihatede... moorrbr... 2009/03/29 22:38:06
    ihatedemsandtaxeswithapassion
    +1
    we sit stand kneel sit stand kneel sit stand kneel fight fight fight... lol...
  • Laura moorrbr... 2009/03/29 23:27:12
    Laura
    +1
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. I like churches that give the freedom to have expressive worship!
  • moorrbr... Laura 2009/03/30 00:04:13
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +1
    Yes, I do too.
  • modest 2009/03/29 04:48:48
  • jast 2009/03/29 04:39:00
    jast
    +2
    I don't think position matters but I understand what you're saying. I do it sometimes, whatever my heart leads me to do at that very moment.

2014/07/31 19:49:35