TO ALL THE CHILDREN WHO SURVIVED THE 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

Autarchic 2011/10/18 20:37:05

First, we survived being born to mothers Who smoked and/or drank while they were Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode
Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, We would ride in cars with no car seats, No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day Was always a special treat.

We drank water From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. WHY?

Because we were Always outside playing... that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, As long as we were back when the
Streetlights came on.

No one was able To reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps And then ride them down the hill, only to find out We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, No cell phones, No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms. WE HAD FRIENDS And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, And the worms did not live in us Forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,
Although we were told it would happen, We did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal With disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law Was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them? CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as children, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your children so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno: "With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control,
mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,
and with the threat of swine flu and terrorist attacks. Are we sure this is a good time
to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us.. ..go ahead and delete this.

For the rest of us... pass this on. A Small Prayer!

God determines who walks into your life.... it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

I need this back. If you'll do this for me, I'll do it for you.

When there is nothing left but God, that is when you find out that God is all you need. Take 60 seconds and give this a shot! All you do is simply say the following small prayer for the person who sent you this.

Father,
God bless my friend in whatever it is that You know they may need this day! And may their life be full of your peace, prosperity, and power as he/she seeks to have a closer relationship with you. Amen.

Then send it on to five other people, including the one who sent it to you Within hours you will have caused a multitude of people to pray for other people. Then sit back and watch the power of God work in your life.

P. S... Five is good, but more is better.

• Keith Fagan 2013/07/08 13:57:08
    Keith Fagan
    +2
    Who wrote this nostalgic dribble?
    Almost nothing here is true... oh, these things happened, but there were tragic results because of these carefree times! Not everyone survived, or walked away unscathed.

And what inventions are you referring to? Besides the home computer and cell phone, just what were these New inventions?
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2011/11/30 04:47:38
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +2
    I am very thankful that my mother did not take Thalidomide. I was born in the 1950's when this poison was be RX'd for insomnia. I can't think of another drug that caused such horrible birth defects.
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2011/11/23 00:24:25
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    Excuse me, but didn't the people who grew up in the 30's-70's raise the people who created the world today?
  • Autarchic ☠ Live ... 2011/11/23 02:38:17
    Autarchic
    With the help of govt regulations!
  • ☠ Live ... Autarchic 2011/11/23 02:52:20
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    So.. you admit that this suposedly perfect couple of generations IS partially responsible for how the world is now?
  • Autarchic ☠ Live ... 2011/11/23 10:55:24
    Autarchic
    It was no fault of their own! It was the govt with its fingers in everything!
  • ☠ Live ... Autarchic 2011/11/23 18:31:45
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    The government is made up of people, you know. It isn't just some solid, all seeing entity. The people in the government are from the same generations you speak of. They aren't somehow seperate from society.
  • Autarchic ☠ Live ... 2011/11/23 20:09:45
    Autarchic
    The govt is made up of lawyers!
  • ☠ Live ... Autarchic 2011/11/23 22:46:08
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Who are people who came from the same exact generations you speak of.
  • Jennifer 2011/11/21 21:39:21
    Jennifer
    +4
    YOU OLD FARTS UNITE!

.

lol

cheers to your diapers and alzheimers!
  • Not my name. 2011/11/18 21:37:27
    Not my name.
    +1
    I was a child of the 50's, 60's, and start of the 70's. I'm not sentimental I wouldn't go back in time to any them, my childhood was plagued with poverty and illness.
  • ★misfit★ 2011/11/15 00:53:20
    ★misfit★
    +2
    So true, funny how every generation survives just fine. But if the older ones didn't die from exposure to the things you mentioned, the newer ones aren't going to die from exposure to tech at an early age, obesity, or sex and violence on TV. They will turn out okay too, just different.
  • rik4100 2011/11/09 16:46:39 (edited)
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2011/11/03 04:38:14
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    The baby boomer generation has ruined this country. Don't be so proud.
  • Shae ««Ginge... 2011/11/03 15:32:33
    Shae
    +1
    the greatest generation

great book. You might get a different view.
  • brunsworks 2011/11/03 03:52:34
    brunsworks
    Is there a poll question in here somewhere?
  • Roxxi 2011/11/02 14:38:22
    Roxxi
    +1
    This reminds me of my childhood, and I was born in the 90s XD Brings back good memories. Thank you for that :)
  • U Mad Bro? 2011/11/01 17:13:21
  • Independent Progressive 2011/11/01 06:11:47
    Independent Progressive
    +3
    Amen. Child of the 60's and 70's here. This post is spot on.
  • BAMCIS Indepen... 2011/11/08 05:50:18
  • Autarchic BAMCIS 2011/11/08 11:41:36
    Autarchic
    You need to learn to read, it doesn't say anything about being born twice.
  • ButterbeerMe 2011/11/01 01:52:31
    ButterbeerMe
    +2
    I'm sure the people who were born in the late 1800s thought the same things about you..

"Who do these whippersnappers think they are with their fancy 'indoor plumbing'? Why, when I was a lad we pissed right in the stream, and shat on the land to fertilize our crops. You kids have it too easy nowadays."
  • Shae Butterb... 2011/11/03 15:33:19
    Shae
    +1
    walked to school uphill both ways barefoot in the snow (why didn't they put their shoes on?)
  • juskro92 2011/10/29 03:15:27
    juskro92
    +1
    Born in '92. Can only relate to a few of them. I didn't own a game system until maybe 7th grade. It was a gamecube. Still don't play video games. I was always outside playing with my friends, whether it be hockey, football, baseball, or jumping rope on rollerblades :) TV time was only on weekends when I was busy with soccer, dance (i'm a guy and i did tap, jazz, and regrettably ballet. I wish I could go back and tap again. Some of the greatest tap dancers were men), and church. I got hit in the face by a baseball bat at 4 and my parents didn't sue. I also fell of a bike too big for me. I learned not to stand next to a kid swinging a bat and not to ride bikes too big for me. My mom basically had me living in that era and I loved it. However, now I really can't relate to my peers because I didn't experience the same things they did.
  • Autarchic juskro92 2011/10/29 10:57:43
  • juskro92 Autarchic 2011/10/30 05:21:31
    juskro92
    +1
    :D
    the good ol' days.
  • Brian 2011/10/24 14:41:56
    Brian
    +2
    I was born in '56 and I'm a proud survivor, and wish I could go back and live it over again
  • Autarchic Brian 2011/10/24 14:43:32
    Autarchic
    +1
    Don't we all?
  • Hector mozo 2011/10/24 03:20:31
  • Nan 2011/10/24 02:30:31
    Nan
    +1
    LOLO...born in '51 so I can relate VERY EASILY to all that! How true!!!!!!!
  • Lynn 2011/10/23 06:52:19
    Lynn
    +2
    Born in 1960, raised in a very rural town. I lived life just as this essay describes and I thank my stars for it. I hate what society has become today.
  • Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +7
    All those children from the 30's 40's 50's 60's and 70's grew up and raised/are raising the kids today. So all this new crap that you're complaining about is your fault.
  • Autarchic Algor. ... 2011/10/23 09:30:50
    Autarchic
    No, it is not their fault, it is the fault of their so-called leaders.
  • Algor. ... Autarchic 2011/10/23 17:53:53
    Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +2
    They grew up to become those leaders
  • Autarchic Algor. ... 2011/10/23 17:58:55
    Autarchic
    A dreamer!
  • Algor. ... Autarchic 2011/10/23 19:23:51
    Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    ok
  • ««Ginge... Algor. ... 2011/11/03 04:39:40
    Exactly. The baby boomer generation has totally made this country FUBAR.
  • RobertRowe 2011/10/23 02:59:17
  • jere.chievres 2011/10/22 19:45:28
    jere.chievres
    +2
    Absolute correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Shae 2011/10/22 18:26:23
    Shae
    +1
    That's because there were things called neighborhoods.
    People watched out for each other. So many people now only care about their own lives.
    When I was little (80s) we ran all over the neighborhood, someone was watching us out the window. If we did something bad, like break windows with rocks, our parents were called that night.
    If a strange car came up to us, a parent, an older lady or older man would scream to "get away from those kids!"
    Our parents didn't tell older people to mind their own business, they took their advice. And why not? They raised kids, they have the experience.
    Get to know your neighbors, trust me they'll look out for your kids so they can get outside.

My mom's favorite line, "its too nice for you kids to be in doors, get out of my house!"

2014/10/24 09:30:25