Time to Go, Rick. Is it time for Rick Santorum to gracefully bow out?

Dar 2012/03/27 11:37:27
Yes...comment.
No...comment.
It’s time for Rick Santorum to go. He’s getting more whiny than usual and it’s getting tiresome.

Like Newt Gingrich, he’s not going to win the nomination, and I suspect he knows it. But I get the impression that he doesn’t really care who wins in November – unless it’s him.

Where did I get an idea like that? From Rick Santorum himself.

On the campaign trail in San Antonio, he said: “You win by giving people a choice,” You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who’s just going to be a little different than the person in there.”

He’s got every right to take a shot at Mitt Romney. And he’s got every right to believe he’s stands a better chance of defeating President Obama than does Romney, even if he’s wrong. But what he said next was just plain petulant.

“If they’re going to be a little different,” he said, “we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk of what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate for the future.” That was a reference to a Romney adviser’s comment that “everything changes” when the campaign begins in earnest in the fall. “It’s almost like an Etch A Sketch,” the adviser Eric Fehrnstrom said. “You can kind of shake it up and we start all over again.”

Usually the politically dumb statements come from Romney himself. Does this gaffe feed into the image that Romney is a waffler who will say anything that serves his political purposes at the moment? Yes. It’s Romney’s biggest weakness and for good reason: he is a waffler. But Santorum went way too far in saying Romney is no better than President Obama, prompting this entirely accurate headline in the Washington Post: Santorum says voters might as well re-elect Obama because Romney offers little difference

(Hit with a barrage of criticism from Republicans for his comment, Santorum now says the “we” in “we might as well stay with what we have …” refers to “we, the American people” — the American electorate — who he says would figure, why not stay with President Obama if Romney is the GOP nominee. ”I would never vote for Barack Obama over any Republican and to suggest otherwise is preposterous,” Santorum explained. This is how politicians walk back their mistakes. I suspect no one will buy it.)

I could never picture Rick Santorum in the Oval Office. He always struck me as the annoying goody two shoes kid in high school who you wanted to slap around simply on principle. Then when he began sharing his religious beliefs with the American people I started believing that if this guy could snap his fingers or wave his magic wand, he’d turn the United States into a theocracy. That may not be a fair characterization, of course, but that’s the impression he gave me – and I suspect it’s the impression he gave a lot of others who will decide if Mr. Obama stays or goes.

Those of us who want Barack Obama to go should now also want Mr. Santorum to go.

Read More: http://www.bernardgoldberg.com/time-to-go-rick/

• lee 2012/04/01 20:59:52
    No...comment.
    lee
    all the way to tampa baby...

fight, fight, fight....

brokered convention
  • Dave 007 2012/04/01 11:44:54
    No...comment.
    Dave 007
    Keep going.
  • Boo 2012/03/28 20:18:06
    No...comment.
    Boo
    While I cannot support him personally, he should stay in the race as long as he wants or can afford to. He definitely has a significant number of supporters.
  • Swampdog PWCM 2012/03/28 17:27:49
    No...comment.
    Swampdog PWCM
    I want a brokered convention, Let Santorum stay!
    Yes...comment.
    +1
    No reason to stay on the losing streak.
  • RobertChristopherLaity 2012/03/28 08:46:21
    No...comment.
    RobertChristopherLaity
    Romney should drop out.
  • Cleaver62 2012/03/28 08:29:50
    No...comment.
    Cleaver62
    No. I have enjoyed his intelligence and comedy too much for him to drop out now. There has just got to be a way to keep this nut talking and sticking his foot in his mouth.
  • rikonjohn 2012/03/28 05:38:23
    No...comment.
    rikonjohn
    Let him stay till the bitter end. I want to see how badly he embarrasses himself.
  • JEFF 2012/03/28 02:44:41
    No...comment.
    JEFF
    THE ONLY REASON I DON'T WANT HIM TO GO IS BECAUSE HE IS ENTERTAINING. I FIND WATCHING REPUBLICANS LISTENING TO HIM AMUSING. IT'S LIKE WATCHING A ROOM FILLED WITH MONKEYS LOOKING AT A BANANA.
  • JoshuaHarper 2012/03/28 02:39:42
    Yes...comment.
    JoshuaHarper
    +1
    I don't even know why he's stil running.
  • YouSirName 2012/03/28 00:57:23
    No...comment.
    YouSirName
    As one who opposes the GOP field this year, would prefer he stay in the game.
  • luvguins 2012/03/28 00:29:27
    Yes...comment.
    luvguins
    +1
    Only reason for him to get the nomination would be a bigger win for the president. The majority of women and independents find the Vatican boy disgusting. He is doing a good job dicing up the Ken doll, Mitt, for the Obama campaign so what's not for them to like? He seems only to be a hit with Southern hick evangelicals.
  • JaguarS... luvguins 2012/03/28 00:31:06
    JaguarSocialist
    Santorum is campaigning to be the vice presidential nominee. That's obvious. However, I did hear he was thinking about running for pope, something he likes about those papal undergarments.
  • luvguins JaguarS... 2012/03/28 02:29:52
    luvguins
    If Romney doesn't want to lose ther majority of women and independent votes he'll select someone other than Santorum, probably Rubio hoping to sway some latinos. Vatican boy can go have his audience with the Pope.
  • JaguarS... luvguins 2012/03/28 02:32:29
    JaguarSocialist
    I wouldn't be surprised if Romney chose Rubio. I don't know if that helps him with Hispanics. However, I would think Romney would need to pick someone with foreign policy experience as Obama did.
  • luvguins JaguarS... 2012/03/28 02:56:45
    luvguins
    True, as Romney has shown no foreign policy experience with what he just said about Russia. He is still living in the cold war era.
  • JaguarS... luvguins 2012/03/28 02:57:49
    JaguarSocialist
    He is living in the Cold War era but, of course, when you belong to a religion that has all these end times scenarios it's not wonder the live in fear.
  • luvguins JaguarS... 2012/03/28 03:07:41
    luvguins
    Yes, that is true of Mormons along with baptizing dead people.
  • JaguarS... luvguins 2012/03/29 00:05:53
    JaguarSocialist
    It's a little late then isn't it?
  • luvguins JaguarS... 2012/03/29 00:59:22
    luvguins
    +1
    Rather....lol.
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/03/27 22:10:43
  • Dandydon 2012/03/27 21:31:32
    No...comment.
    Dandydon
    +1
    Owebama should bow out,he's had plenty of practice...
  • JaguarS... Dandydon 2012/03/28 00:31:40
    JaguarSocialist
    Dumbass, this isn't about Obama; it's obvious they didn't teach reading at Whites Only bible-thumper school.
  • Dandydon JaguarS... 2012/03/28 00:39:36
    Dandydon
    How do you know i didn't go to Black bible-thumper school?
    Sounds like you're a racist...
  • JaguarS... Dandydon 2012/03/28 00:43:48
    JaguarSocialist
    Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass where you went. Anybody who distorts the president's name, as you did, is a damn idiot. Of course, since you couldn't articulate a reasonable, credible alternative to his policies, you decided to distort his name. Either you're 9 years old or have the IQ of a cucumber.
  • Dandydon JaguarS... 2012/03/28 00:52:00
    Dandydon
    +1
    Oh ok,first you cared where i went,now you don't.

I think you should quit assuming and calm down before you give yourself a stroke...

A credible alternative to his policies,is to vote him out and that's what's going to happen,it doesn't matter if it's Rick Santorum or whoever else.

I know it gets you upset that Obama will get beat by Santorum,if it comes down to that,you just have to accept it..
  • JaguarS... Dandydon 2012/03/28 00:57:13
    JaguarSocialist
    WIth the current GOP presidential field, Obama will win re-election. Your only hope is that the convention is brokered and they choose Jeb Bush.
  • Dandydon JaguarS... 2012/03/28 01:11:57
    Dandydon
    I sure wish i could see your face,when Obama gets kicked out by a landslide.
    Only then will you realize,you shouldn't of believed everything Obama and Lame Stream Media blew down your earhole..

And i don't watch Foxnews,so don't come back with that old tired "Fox news" reply.
  • JaguarS... Dandydon 2012/03/28 01:13:35 (edited)
    JaguarSocialist
    You're a riot. Besides, who's going to beat Obama? Romney. Romney's health care bill was, in some respects, the model for Obama's. If Romney wins, I can hardly wait until January 2013 when Repubdungbaggers wake up from their long national daydream.
  • Dandydon JaguarS... 2012/03/28 01:27:04
    Dandydon
    It all starts by getting Obama out,that's the first thing that has to be done.
    Doesn't matter who replaces him..
  • JaguarS... Dandydon 2012/03/28 01:29:52
    JaguarSocialist
    You're a riot.
  • Quazimoto JaguarS... 2012/03/28 01:54:17
  • JaguarS... Quazimoto 2012/03/28 01:58:24
    JaguarSocialist
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, in a letter to the Conservative MP, John Pakington (March 1866)
  • Gordy 2012/03/27 21:17:49
    No...comment.
    Gordy
    +2
    Naw it's time for Obama to go. the longer this drags on the less time Oh....Bama has to go after Romney. By the way Why not Ron Paul and Newt?
  • disclaimer 2012/03/27 20:56:08
    Yes...comment.
    disclaimer
    +1
    But I've wanted him to go ever since he declared himself eligible.
  • gaylehelen 2012/03/27 20:54:24
    Yes...comment.
    gaylehelen
    +1
    That's my polite answer. I just don't like the man.
  • Dawn Jacquelyn 2012/03/27 20:28:35
    Yes...comment.
    Dawn Jacquelyn
    Yes, every time he opens his mouth, he "tells on himself".
  • Jenai Goss 2012/03/27 20:02:38
    No...comment.
    Jenai Goss
    +2
    I completely disagree with this article! Santorum was *correct* in his assesment (and he didn't mean that Obama and Romney were "equal" choices, if you pay attention to him at all). In today's political atmopsphere, it often seems like there is very little difference between republican politicians and democratic politicians. As far as the politicians go, this is often true - and this is *not a good thing* for America. It supports a culture of "we the elite", not "we the people".

While the democratic viewpoint, and republican viewpoint, are themselves very different - and one cannot talk to three or four people without finding six or seven different opinions - the political candidate field does not always reflect this.

2012 has been a good year in that there have been many candidates who buck this tradition. Some to the extreme, in that they do not reflect a large enough majority of voters to sway enough votes - but overall it has been a good change. We are finally getting different voices, which is how it should be. Good leadership is not uniformity of opinion, but uniformity of direction and goal -> and the ability to take differing ideas and opinions and bounce them off of eachother, debating the pros and cons. This is one reason President Obama has not been an effective l...

2012 has been a good year in that there have been many candidates who buck this tradition. Some to the extreme, in that they do not reflect a large enough majority of voters to sway enough votes - but overall it has been a good change. We are finally getting different voices, which is how it should be. Good leadership is not uniformity of opinion, but uniformity of direction and goal -> and the ability to take differing ideas and opinions and bounce them off of eachother, debating the pros and cons. This is one reason President Obama has not been an effective leader; he has been too busy apologizing for America and taking America down an opposite path, rather than upholding the constitution or the ideals of freedom or free market capitalism.

Mitt Romney is, unfortunately, a candidate a bit like McCain. To add that he cannot hold up a consistent background of conservative ideals, like the other candidates, he is also a known waffler. He doesn't even hide it! This makes him insanely popular to whoever he is talking to at the moment, since he says exactly what they want to hear. There is no guarantee, however, that once outside the room, or a few months later, he may do exactly the opposite.

Even beyond his waffling, I do not personally want to end up having to choose between the lesser of two evils or the "slightly more conservative" candidate. Even Santorum agrees anyone is better than President Obama and that of course a republican is going to be a better choice, no matter who is the last one standing, than President Obama.

He is spot on in saying that Romney is not *significantly* different enough to highlight him as the candidate of choice, however. (As opposed to the other three. Even Ron Paul, who has some scary views in my book, I would consider voting for over Romney precisely because he is a) consistent in ideals, b) obviously promotes America over politics and c) significantly different than President Obama.

What our country needs right now is some diologue about what it means to be an American, to remember exactly *why* so many people immigrated to America for the freedoms America offered, and what those freedoms were. Rick Santorum has certainly shown that he can open diologues. Voting for someone like Romney who is heading down a similar path to Prresident Obama in many ways, simply much "slower", isn't much of an improvement. It might even be more dangerous, since frogs slowly boiled in water won't jump out
    ...
  • Shonny 2012/03/27 19:24:35 (edited)
    No...comment.
    Shonny
    +2
    Heck No! as much as you would like him too drop out, he still has a chance to become president even if he isn't the "chosen" republican nominee.

Let me remind you that every ballot has a place where you can write in the person's name you choose if they don't have their names typed as the two presidential choices.

The fact that he has no campaign finances and still ended up as a Front-runner suggests that tons of folks, including me, like the guy and he still has a chance to surpass them all. Nice try though, Mopeder. rick santorum for president
  • disclaimer Shonny 2012/03/27 20:55:42
    disclaimer
    +1
    There's a huge difference between a ballet and a ballot. Just saying.

2014/10/25 23:35:54