TIME Magazine Covers: American or International?

Fef 2011/12/15 00:22:21
American Covers
International Covers
Don't Care
TIME magazine treats Americans differently. TIME has different cover stories and images in its American and international editions of the newsweekly. Which covers do you like better? Should TIME treat America differently than the rest of the world?
american international editions newsweekly covers treat america differently rest world
TIME addressed the question in its letters section of its December 12, 2011 edition:
Last week's issue also caused considerable consternation among bloggers and readers, who objected to our putting the protests in Egypt inside our domestic edition and on the cover overseas. "Why is anxiety the most pressing issue in the U.S. while the Egyptian revolution gets front-page treatment internationally?" read a typical e-mail. Observers at ShortFormBlog analyzed a year's worth of our covers and concluded each edition gets the same amount of hard news, give or take an issue or two. We're glad to be held to high expectations, especially when the bar is set by one of our own editions.
Well, TIME kinda' addressed the issue of different covers. TIME claims to have the same "hard issues" on both American and international covers.

TIME should not shy away from treating America differently. We do have different standards than the rest of the world. American exceptionalism exists and TIME recognizes the difference in its own sorta' softball way.

TIME functions as a for-profit business and recognizes that American audiences want different stories. TIME has chosen to tailor content for America to sell more of its product. Good for them for trying!

• Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2011/12/15 01:36:26
    Don't Care
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +4
    Why would I care what one more NWO puppet propaganda organ puts on it's cover - or it's pages? Print media is dead, lame stream media is irrelevant.

• jere.chievres 2011/12/17 01:03:29
    Don't Care
    jere.chievres
    I stoppe reading that rag 40 years ago.
  • Michael 2011/12/16 15:06:12
    Don't Care
    Michael
    Vogue Magazine does it too, as well as many others. They are also printed in different languages. Let the market dictate.
  • Katherine 2011/12/16 08:59:14
    Don't Care
    Katherine
    I don't like them and wouldn't bother. And the answer for the different covers and stories is that they're communists trying to dumb us down.
  • whipnet 2011/12/16 05:34:20
    Don't Care
    whipnet
    Vomit rag.

*
  • Pat 2011/12/16 01:39:14
    Don't Care
    Like everything else, Time targets the market they're selling in. Makes sense to me.
  • The Third Reich 2011/12/15 19:52:13
    International Covers
    The Third Reich
    In reality I don't care either way. I'm only 20 but I was told that in the past it actually meant something to be on the cover anyway.
  • whipnet The Thi... 2011/12/16 05:36:09
    whipnet
    You were told that by your liberal public school education.
  • The Thi... whipnet 2011/12/16 05:58:29
    The Third Reich
    I don't know where you got that idea, I'm not a liberal
  • whipnet The Thi... 2011/12/16 06:01:21
    whipnet
    +1
    I did not say you were. I simply answered your question. You used to think that because you were probably told that at some point during your indoctrination by the public school system.
  • The Thi... whipnet 2011/12/16 06:05:36
    The Third Reich
    +1
    yeah...i know...? eh either way I don't read time magazine, so whether or not what I was told is true I don't know.
  • Zombie Saddam 2011/12/15 18:16:12
    International Covers
    Zombie Saddam
    Though I guess they're just reinforcing what we know about Americans. Stupid, Ignorant, Lazy and too self-righteous to understand the affairs of the World.
  • whipnet Zombie ... 2011/12/16 05:38:51
    whipnet
    +1
    Just because you're stupid, ignorant, lazy and self-righteous does not mean we all are. In other words, speak for yourself.

*
  • Zombie ... whipnet 2011/12/16 18:52:39
    Zombie Saddam
    Word.
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2011/12/15 15:06:13
    Don't Care
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    They serve the "local" markets, and I think they do a piss-poor job in all of them, so it makes no difference to me.
  • Seonag 2011/12/15 14:17:00
    Don't Care
    Seonag
    I haven't bought an issue of TIME in almost 40 years and don't intend to begin now!
  • Reality-Check 2011/12/15 08:30:25
    Don't Care
    Reality-Check
    I've never seen this publication in England..
  • merlinskiss 2011/12/15 05:27:42
    Don't Care
    merlinskiss
    This isn't unusual. Many papers like USA today have different papers for different countries. For example, the Singapore USA Today is not allowed to carry any articles that are defamatory or critical of the Singapore government or its leadership. This is also true for the Chinese version. It's called censorship in these cases but sometimes it's for other reasons like the specific interests of the reader population.
  • Alley Cat 2011/12/15 03:35:59
    American Covers
    Alley Cat
    Another instrument to promote American belief, yet interesting. Read with open mind should be the caution of every cover page
    Don't Care
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +4
  • Ahrtal 2011/12/15 01:07:19
    Don't Care
    Ahrtal
    +3
    Time Magazine is just a shill for the globalists, anyway. I used to read it, but can't stomach it anymore. America's exceptionalism? TIME has no idea what that is.
  • Fred 2011/12/15 01:00:58
    Don't Care
    Fred
    +3
    Time should just drop its US edition and stay with the socialists in Europe who think like they do
  • Sofahead 2011/12/15 00:55:58
    American Covers
    Sofahead
    +1
    They are a business catering to a buying audience, if it sells the magazine better in the US than why not?
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2011/12/15 00:54:34
    International Covers
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +3
    I think Time is afraid circulation would drop drastically if they started printing the truth about the U.S. For some reason, media is convinced that Americans aren't interested in (a) "real" news or (b) what's going on in the rest of the world.

Personally I'd like to hear the truth.
  • Maria R jubil8 ... 2011/12/15 02:55:20
    Maria R
    +1
    It would be nice to hear the truth from Time for a change
  • jubil8 ... Maria R 2011/12/15 19:48:53
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Or from any media source. :)
  • ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET 2011/12/15 00:37:12
    International Covers
    ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET
    +2
    The rest of the world already believes Americans are self absorbed and the Time covers illustrates this even more.

rest world believes americans absorbed covers illustrates
  • jubil8 ... ☆SPIDER... 2011/12/15 19:55:33
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Back in the late 1960's my sister-in-law worked one summer on the International Desk at the Herald Tribune in Paris. She said that most of the real news that crossed the desk was NOT put into the U.S. edition because "Americans don't want to hear the news."

In 1999 there was a MAJOR uprising in East Timor. I was in Europe and I phoned my broker to ask whether it was having any effect on the stock market. He said "What uprising?" CNN Europe was showing people being chased down the streets, cut to black with the words "The following events are too graphic to display here," fires, riots, etc.

I've also heard us described in Europe as the "best entertained and worst informed people on the planet." Ouch.
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2011/12/15 00:29:24
    International Covers
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +3
    Wow! I didn't realize that Time magazine did that. It doesn't seem fair that we get the BS stories and the rest of the world gets real news. The anti-United States magazines would be really controversial though; I think that the anti-United States magazines would cause a lot of American subscribers to cancel their subscriptions.
  • Informed Voter 2011/12/15 00:26:08
    Don't Care
    Informed Voter
    +2
    Time Magazine is yet another outlet for the expression of the Liberal ideal.
  • Fef Informe... 2011/12/15 02:30:29
    Fef
    +1
    yah, we don't have enough of those ;)
  • The Winter Sodahead 2011/12/15 00:24:21
    International Covers
    The Winter Sodahead
    +1
    This makes me feel like Time thinks Americans are self-centered idiots.
  • ✞Knight... The Win... 2011/12/15 00:30:43
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +1
    I think that the anti-United States magazines would cause a bit of controversy here.
  • Fred The Win... 2011/12/15 02:32:51
    Fred
    +1
    Time has a typically liberal arrogant superior view of Amerucans - they have the typical liberal "we know what's best" attitude.

2014/08/29 12:27:03