This is the year that overt racism went mainstream at CPAC. Rep. Steve King Defends White Nationalist at CPAC

ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/02/10 03:15:54

Appearing today at the CPAC panel discussion that featured white nationalist icon Peter Brimelow: Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King.

Rep. King has read all of Brimelow’s books, but claims he hasn’t seen any evidence of racism or white separatism.

Washington, D.C. — Iowa congressman Steve King is unconcerned about
the implications of his appearance during a CPAC panel on “The Failure
of Multiculturalism” featuring a white nationalist author, Peter
Brimelow.

“I don’t know anything about that,” King, who came to the event to
talk about his English Language Unity Act, told BuzzFeed — though he’d
earlier told Brimelow that “I’ve read all your books!”. …

King added that he wasn’t totally familiar with Brimelow’s work.

“I’ve taken so much criticism on my life that has just been
completely unjustified, you know, a fabrication of the hardcore left,”
King said. “I’d want to see whatever evidence that is before I comment
on it.”

When told that the white nationalist designation had come from the
Southern Poverty Law Center, King laughed. “I wouldn’t take them
seriously,” he said. “No, not at all.”

Again, I admit I was a little amazed that a true racist hater like
Brimelow was appearing openly on a CPAC panel; but now, when both the
organizers and a US Congressman are legitimizing Brimelow’s sick
ideology, this crosses the line into downright creepy.

• Bastion 2012/02/10 14:28:46
    Bastion
    +2
    Oh man, you be careful. You found evidence of Republican racism . . . that means YOU'RE A RACIST!!
  • Roger47 2012/02/10 04:42:43
    Roger47
    +1
    Maybe he reads at the level of a second grader. I would like to say I find it shocking that the leading convention of Republican conservatives would invite n overt racist to take part in the festivities. But sadly, it is no surprise with the current crop of conservatives.
  • The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2012/02/10 03:46:45
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    Wow! All I gotta say is Wow! He's read all the guys books, but didn't see the racist implications of a white nationalist. Wow!
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ The Eli... 2012/02/10 03:54:47
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +2
    I know. The republicans are so pathetic. Their party is spiraling down.
  • The Eli... ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/02/10 03:58:50
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    They're always so concerned about "branding" but not when it comes to the racist undertones. WTF are they thinking?
  • Ken ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/02/10 05:19:42
    +1
    ah...but study the history of the GOP. Like every reform movement, it has grown old and tired. Will it return to its core beliefs (aka, faith of its fathers) or will it become a footnote in history like the Whig Party it replaced? Only time will tell.

What I do find interesting is how similar to Whig politicians like John Calhoun today's Republicans sound.
  • Ken The Eli... 2012/02/10 05:16:13
    Have you read the guy's books? If not, you are accepting someone elses judgement. Don't misunderstand, this is the first I have heard of Steve King and Brimelaw. So I have no idea whether they are white nationalists or not...they did, however, participate in a conference discussing the "failure of multiculturalism"....that tells me all I need to know about them.

As for the "failure of multiculturalism"...well a lot of individuals use that as an excuse for America's lack of vitality. After all, it is much easier to blame others than it is to admit personal failure. From my perspective, "it seems strange that any society or person should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other people's faces" What else can you call 2 generations of American consuming more than they produced, i.e., living off the investments made by their parents and grandparent? (BTW...if you couldn't quite place the quote, I paraphrased a line from Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address.)

Personally, the perspective of people with different values has enriched my life; I treasure the memory of a black woman client; she had management tricks based on being a black grandmother that truly inspired her employees; the French scientists I worked with who could and sometimes ...

Personally, the perspective of people with different values has enriched my life; I treasure the memory of a black woman client; she had management tricks based on being a black grandmother that truly inspired her employees; the French scientists I worked with who could and sometimes did belabor a theoretical point to death but challenged my thinking and improved my designs significantly; my Mexican handyman who can fix anything and works all day and night; ah...I could go on with the Indians, the Native Americans, the Chinese...but there are still so many cultures I have yet to learn:-)

Historically, I think any American who believes a monoculture is good has totally forgotten WW I and WW II. In WW I, the "mutts" of America showed the "blue bloods" of Europe why mutts are better than purebreds....and when Hitler took the "blue blood" theory, combined it with the slave holders "master race" theory, America, including the American Negroes (sorry for the dated phrase), showed Hitler how stupid the concept was. Why even the Jews, celebrate King Solomon who operated a pluralistic kingdom with multiple religions and ethnic groups.
  • The Eli... Ken 2012/02/10 20:44:47 (edited)
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    Here are a couple of links to information about Peter Brimelow and VDare He's proud of his racism He needs no excuses made for him.
    http://www.splcenter.org/blog...
    http://www.splcenter.org/get-...
    http://mediamatters.org/blog/...
  • JanHopkins 2012/02/10 03:45:36
    JanHopkins
    I never heard of either of them.
  • Tea in the Harbor 2012/02/10 03:40:44
    Tea in the Harbor
    +2
    I heard about this earlier, unbelievable.

2014/04/18 18:34:30