There May Be a Government Shutdown Next Week: Will It Affect Your Daily Life?

AdriHead 2013/09/23 22:00:00
If Republicans and Democrats don't play nice -- and soon! -- Congress will inch closer and closer to a government shutdown. Congress has until October 1 to agree on how the country will pay its bills, and if Republicans and Democrats can't come to a consensus by then, the federal government will shut down.

For those wondering, shutdowns aren't cheap. According to the Congressional Research Service, the two previous shutdowns -- in 1995 and 1996 -- cost the country $1.4 billion.

But how much does it affect the average citizen's daily life? CNN goes through 10 ways a government shutdown would impact your day-to-day. Do you think you would notice if there was a government shutdown? Or would it not really matter in your daily routine?

CNN.COM reports:
10 ways a government shutdown would affect your daily life.
cnn reports 10 ways government shutdown affect daily life

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/politics/government-...

• DMG 2013/09/25 21:34:24
    DMG
    The Trucking Industry Needs Drivers - The Derelict Politicians Need A Real Job - They Can Join The Army - Or - Something Useful - Go To Work In Construction
  • Knot_Rich 2013/09/25 18:12:19
    Knot_Rich
    I suppose all the time I'll spend laughing about all those over paid, over benefited federal employees learning what it's like to collect unemployment for a change could disrupt my day. Then when, as usual, when another continuing resolution is passed (because the Democrats in the Senate aren't able to live up to their constitutional duty to produce a budget) all those federal employees get back pay (in other words, a free taxpayer funded vacation) my day will be ruined by that depressed feeling one gets when they have been taken to the cleaners.
  • The NJ ... Knot_Rich 2013/09/26 02:00:39 (edited)
    The NJ Ladybug
    You have heard that after the LAST shutdown - the one under Clinton - when Congressmen had to do their own filing, answer their own phones and make their own coffee - they passed the rule that in any future shutdown, government workers will stay - and get paid. No flies on those tea partiers.
  • RJeffreySavlov 2013/09/25 17:54:33
    RJeffreySavlov
    +2
    This is not a matter of playing nice. It is a matter of common sense. If we have to borrow to afford it, than we can't afford it. The job of the federal government according to the constitution does not include healthcare or paying deadbeats not to work, feeding minimum wage workers who chose not to get an education or supporting, providing free health services and educating those who entered our country illegally. These social extravagances will have to stop. We can no longer afford them.
  • Laissez Faire Husker 2013/09/25 17:49:38
    Laissez Faire Husker
    Keep it shut down then the economy can recover.
  • The NJ ... Laissez... 2013/09/26 02:07:55
    The NJ Ladybug
    +1
    Who are you people??? Did someone tell you that taxes wouldn't get collected? Did someone tell you what billion dollar programs WILL NOT GET SHUT DOWN? Everyone in Congress will still get salaries. Everyone in the military will still get paid. The bombs, planes, missiles, drones, guns will still get manufactured. MONEY WILL STILL BE SPENT.

It will be school programs, food programs, health care programs, monies going back to the states programs - like for police, roads, bridges . . . Gee. Who will have money to make that darn ole economy flourish?
  • Todd_I The NJ ... 2013/09/26 03:13:43
    Todd_I
    Since you asked, I'm an Indie that believes our federal government wastes a ton of cash. I'd prefer to see both parties come together and actually fix the problems together. But, the DNC is un-willing to cut any social program no matter how badly the program is failing to achieve metrics or how much it costs. And the GOP is unwilling to raise taxes no matter how good or needed a program may be.

Since there is a stalemate I have to side with the cutters (GOP). You mentioned numbers in a few earlier posts. The numbers change each year or depending on who's pie chart: Social Security 20-23%, MediCare/Caid 18-23%, Defense Discretionary 15-21%, Non-Defense Discretionary 12-13%, misc entitlements 12-13%, Interest 6-9%. In a nutshell, 50-59% of the total budget goes to social programs and this is where the cutting must start. Since these are also the programs without a solid success rate, it is common sense to cut.

Will the shut down do any good? Unlikely, but neither does staying on the spending train.
  • jonstew... Todd_I 2013/09/27 09:54:09
    jonstewart.blake
    +1
    How about instead of cutting the programs that help the poor, the handicapped and the elderly, we cut the pay of our acting government. Does the President and all of both parties need a six figure salary. For instance the President gets $400,000 + a year. The men and women in the House of Reps. and the Senate and so on get $200,000 + a year. And they are all tax exempt!! Let's cut them down say 50% of their salaries. That would save us roughly billions of dollars a year alone. Do I need to remind you who pays their salaries? If our Government gets shut down it will effect everyone except the Government. They get paid regardless. God forbid someone should break into your home or crash into your car and you or your family gets hurt and there is no one to help one day because our government shut down. Or we get attacked by terrorist or by a America hating faction and there is no military to stop them. It could get that bad and if we as people don't start thinking for ourselves we are going to be in a world of pain and sorrow. Separation causes problems. Unity does not.
  • Todd_I jonstew... 2013/09/28 07:28:02
    Todd_I
    I'd vote for cutting their salaries in half: 435 congressmen, 100 senators, 1 president is $54M (5% of a Billion) in savings. The US annual budget is $1.025T so the cuts to politicians is .005%--not a very fast start to solving our budget problems, but a start.
  • jonstew... Todd_I 2014/02/20 12:44:43
    jonstewart.blake
    Agreed.
  • The NJ ... Todd_I 2013/09/29 19:34:02
    The NJ Ladybug
    You would cut the programs for the poor - but continue to load up the gravy train for the already wealthy. Sorry. You're not American enough yet.
  • firelooker 2013/09/25 17:40:34
    firelooker
    Besides only about 49% of govt will actually be shut down if that much even.
  • The NJ ... firelooker 2013/09/26 02:09:13
    The NJ Ladybug
    And, those portions will NOT be on the Federal level. They'll be on the STATE AND LOCAL levels.
  • Dori 2013/09/25 17:19:12
    Dori
    It's been done before, many, many times. How many noticed?
  • firelooker Dori 2013/09/25 17:41:56
    firelooker
    Dems did it 6 times during Reagan admin.
  • The NJ ... firelooker 2013/09/26 02:12:14 (edited)
    The NJ Ladybug
    You're wrong. I checked. http://usgovinfo.about.com/od...

TWICE. Reagan shut down the government TWICE, and it was like overnight.

Since 1981, there have been five government shutdowns. Four of the last five government shutdowns went largely unnoticed by anybody but the federal employees affected. In the last one, however, the American people shared the pain.

1981: President Reagan vetoed a continuing resolution and 400,000 Federal employees were sent home at lunch and told not to come back. A few hours later, President Reagan signed a new version of the continuing resolution and the workers were back at work the next morning.

1984: With no approved budget, 500,000 federal workers were sent home. An emergency spending bill has them all back at work the next day.

1990: With no budget or continuing resolution, the government shuts down during the entire three-day Columbus Day weekend. Most workers were off anyway and an emergency spending bill signed by President Bush over the weekend has them back at work Tuesday morning.

1995-1996: Two government shutdowns beginning on November 14, 1995, idled different functions of the federal government for various lengths of time until April of 1996. The most serious government shutdowns in the nation's history resulted from a ...

1995-1996: Two government shutdowns beginning on November 14, 1995, idled different functions of the federal government for various lengths of time until April of 1996. The most serious government shutdowns in the nation's history resulted from a budget impasse between Democratic President Clinton and the Republican-controlled Congress over funding for Medicare, education, the environment and public health.
  • firelooker The NJ ... 2013/09/26 18:39:24
    firelooker
    It may be painful but we have to stop this govt from spending so much of our money frivously.
  • The NJ ... firelooker 2013/09/29 19:56:34
    The NJ Ladybug
    Who's this "we"? And what's "frivolously"?

Do you care if the Feds aren't watching and your bank fails? Or your water goes bad? Or your local hospital closes its doors to anyone older than 60?
  • Mark5610 2013/09/25 17:14:31
    Mark5610
    Nope. This is the democrats tar baby.
  • jonstew... Mark5610 2014/02/20 13:07:59
    jonstewart.blake
    Mark, Mark, Mark. You sound like all those other programmed " I think I'm a Republican " mentalities. Most of the finger pointing is done because of what people are told not based on facts. Go to Washingtonpost.com, thenation.com or cnn.com or the many other news websites and make an educated judgement based on facts and research that you have done on your own, not what the Republican party tells you to think. It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt.
  • Mark5610 jonstew... 2014/02/21 10:56:45 (edited)
    Mark5610
    You referenced all the left wing news blogs. Have a nice day parrot.
  • Stardust 2013/09/25 15:19:40
  • Kate Anderson 2013/09/25 15:07:44
    Kate Anderson
    +1
    Shut it down until the politicans understand they need to start listening to the people that pay for everything...it is our Capitol that they work at. OURS!!!
  • The NJ ... Kate An... 2013/09/26 02:14:36
    The NJ Ladybug
    You do understand, right? that Congress will not be affected at all.
  • Kate An... The NJ ... 2013/09/26 17:15:08
    Kate Anderson
    Of course I do.
  • The NJ ... Kate An... 2013/09/29 19:40:46
    The NJ Ladybug
    So they're causing pain, but won't suffer from it.

This is not the way a democracy works. The GOP are a bunch of petty would-be dictators. They lost the initial vote on Obamacare, but like little kids, they are stamping their feet and demanding their way regardless.
  • Ed 2013/09/25 14:31:41
    Ed
    +1
    The US Government shut downs in 95-96 as reported by CNN, does anyone remember what they were doing on that day? If anyone asked you, before you read this when was the US Government shut down and how many times, would you be able to answer that off the top of your head. How about how it effected you?

The US Government has shut down 17 times during my adult life. I can write here that I remember them and it affected me this and that way but I would be lying. I have no idea what I was doing on those days. I don't remember ever going hungry, without lights since I've lived in this STILL great country of ours.

Previously on Capitol Hill the government shut down in ...

1976 - Thursday, Sept 30 for 10 days till Monday, Oct 11
    1977 - Friday, Sept 30 for 12 days till Thursday, Oct 13
    Monday, Oct 31 for 8 days till Wednesday, Nov 9
    Wednesday, Nov 30 for 8 days till Friday, Dec 9
    1978 - Saturday, Sept 30 for 17 days till Wednesday, Oct 18
    1979 - Sunday, Sept 30 for 11 days till Friday, Oct 12
    1981 - Friday, Nov 20 for 2 days till Monday, Nov 23
    1982 - Thursday, Sept 30 for 1 day till Saturday, Oct 2
    Friday, Dec 17 for 3 days till Tuesday, Dec 21
    1983 - Thursday, Nov 10 for 3 days till Monday, Nov 14
    1984 - Sunday, Sept 30 f...

1984 - Sunday, Sept 30 for 2 days till Wednesday, Oct 3
    Wednesday, Oct 3 for 1 day till Friday, Oct 5
    1986 - Thursday, Oct 16 for 1 day till Saturday, Oct 18
    1987 - Friday, Dec 18 for 1 day till Sunday, Dec 20
    1990 - Friday, Oct 5 for 3 days till Tuesday, Oct 9
    1995 Monday, Nov 13 for 5 days till Sunday, Nov 19
    Friday, Dec 15 for 21 days till Saturday, Jan 6, 1996

democrat chicken little the sky is falling

GALLUP:

Americans Wary of Health Law's Impact
    Majority disapproves of the law itself
    by Elizabeth Mendes

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans are more negative than positive about the healthcare law's future impact on their family and on the U.S. in general. Forty-two percent say that in the long run, the law will make their family's healthcare situation worse; 22% say it will make it better. And almost half believe the law will make the healthcare situation in the U.S. worse; 34% say it will make it better.

RASMUSEN

Monday, September 23, 2013

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll
    On Health Care, 43% Trust GOP More, 42% Democrats
    51% Favor Government Shutdown Until Congress Cuts Health Care Funding
    54% Expect Health Care Costs To Rise Under Obamacare
    Most Voters Still Don't Know If Their State Has A Health Care Exchange
    41% Favor Raising Eligibility Age To Keep Medicare Solvent

Thirty percent (30%) of Likely U.S. Voters now believe the nation’s health care system will get better under the new law, up eight points from 22% a month ago and the most positive assessment to date. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 51% still think the law will make the health care system worse, but that’s the lowest level of pessimism since February. Eleven percent (11%) expect things to remain about the same.
  • Brian 2013/09/25 14:07:36
    Brian
    +3
    You know the absurdity in all of this is the federal government isn't paying it's bills now.

"1995 and 1996 -- cost the country $1.4 billion." Really ! it's costing us trillions when they are not "shut down" Looks to me like we need to keep it shut down for about 400 500 years or so just to begin to catch up.
  • JessDeCristo 2013/09/25 13:38:50
    JessDeCristo
    Unless your dead.
  • Prettyface 2013/09/25 13:37:43
    Prettyface
    God will is being carried out . The government is order to be shut down. So that the righteous can inherit the Earth . The devil time is up for rulership and God have promise the Righteous the Earth . So guess what God will never LIE . I am ready for his will to be carried into full effect . I am on the LORD side and I am ready for a New World without the Wickerness here on Earth . Destruction is waiting for the unjust wicked and evil Devil who have sewed their seed of Cruelness and evil on Black while being here on Earth for the last 2 thousand years . Bye Satan you and all your Demons have a punishment of Hellfire from the LORD ..
  • Levi Prettyface 2013/09/27 00:40:23
    Levi
    You're not helping, Sister. Please read your Bible, and ask Him to show you the truth. All these things must come to pass, and as Jesus said, "Because iniquity will abound (increase and overflow) the love of most people WILL grow cold...but the ones who endure to the end shall be saved." Iniquity is indeed abounding. And what is our part? Is it not to love those so fallen, who live in rebellion to our Lord, to their own destruction, hating what is stained by the flesh, but loving those who are lost? Please consider Daniel 9:26,27, and know that the man of sin must be revealed. According to 2d Thessalonians, he cannot be revealed until "He who restrains is taken away" and who is that restrains the evil in this earth, but the Holy Spirit resident in the people of God? He is near, even at the door, and yet while we have this hope and promise soon to be fulfilled, what about those who are blinded by the wicked ones? You are right that the time is short. Let us do the Father's will and reach as many as we are able with the message of the Gospel.
    God bless you, Sister!
  • Kitty 2013/09/25 13:31:19
    Kitty
    They keep electing these republican idiots to the house who does not have the countries best interests.
  • Dori Kitty 2013/09/25 17:24:10 (edited)
    Dori
    +1
    How profound. How about you elaborate on where the dimwits in the other party are contributing anything except vulgar, wasteful, never ending debt.
  • Trust N... Kitty 2013/09/25 22:49:42
    Trust Noone
    Repeat after me, I am a dingbat.
  • Fooled Kitty 2013/09/26 03:32:12
    Fooled
    Can you regale me with stories of the budgets submitted by the democratically control senate? Our affirmative action democrat president......oh I'm sorry he did submit one but it was voted down 99-0 in the democratic controlled senate.......sounds like there are idiots on the hill but they aren't republicans.......
  • william keegan 2013/09/25 10:54:50
    william keegan
    +1
    The country might even be better off without all those federal bureaucrats mucking around in our lives all the time.
  • The NJ ... william... 2013/09/26 02:22:50
    The NJ Ladybug
    Just exactly what do you think those "Federal bureaucrats" muck today that they will NOT muck in a shutdown?

They will NOT send any of your LOCAL taxes BACK to your state. And, even worse, they set the stage for international fiscal ramifications that will make your sorry life even worse.
  • william... The NJ ... 2013/09/26 18:04:49
    william keegan
    The federal government should not play a role in my life at all. The country would be much better off if at least 50% of the federal government employees and the programs they presently work for were terminated immediately! There is NO constitutional role for the federal government to be involved with the economic activity of the country.
  • The NJ ... william... 2013/09/29 19:53:45
    The NJ Ladybug
    HI. Hate to tell you - but you live in a republic. It's the federal government making laws for the GENERAL WELFARE. You may like your mountain man / supremacist ways - but that's not the way the country's set up.

You're free to find a place where you can still live your free-from-the-Feds interfering with your way of life. There's still places in America like that. But, the air over your hideaway floats over the entire country, the water doesn't stay just in your place. And, terrorists can just as easily parachute into or bomb your part of the nation.

Finally, why don't you check out how much YOUR CURRENT STATE gives to the federal government in taxes and how much it gets back. You may be surprised to discover that while you may not like the "interference" of the Feds, but are not unhappy at how much the Feds give back.
  • william... The NJ ... 2013/09/30 03:53:25
    william keegan
    A law that promotes the general welfare would past constitutional muster, such as a law authorizing spending federal revenues on a public highway that would be available to be used by everyone. But when the federal government passes a law the spends federal revenues on Mrs. Jones's food stamps that only benefits Mrs. Jones, that is “specific welfare” and is patently unconstitutional! When the Dept. of Education spends tax revenues on ‘Head Start” programs that are not available to everyone but only a specified ‘means tested’ few, that is not general welfare at all and is unconstitutional.

It matters little to me what percentage of federal tax revenue is funneled back into my state. The truth of the matter is that if tax funds need to be spent in my state, I would rather send the taxes directly to the state rather than to DC so the federal administrative costs can be deducted before any benefit is provided to my state.

2014/07/23 07:25:13