Therapy to Turn Gay Kids Straight: Legitimate or Quackery?

Chris D 2012/10/02 18:00:00
Ah, the age-old debate. Is being gay a choice or is it part of your genetic code? Well, here in California, the courts and Gov. Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown seem to think that it should be illegal to try to give kids therapy to make them straight. What do you think?

CNN.COM reports:
California Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a bill banning therapy aimed at turning gay kids straight, saying such efforts belong in "the dustbin of quackery."
banning therapy aimed turning gay kids straight efforts dustbin quackery

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/01/us/california-gay-th...

• Samantha 2012/10/03 17:37:19
    Legitimate
    Samantha
    +30
    With a Mormon president, the country will be returning to morality and turning its back on the Gay Agenda and its central message that homosexuality is normal and acceptable.

• Dadgi 2012/11/22 20:00:30
    Legitimate
    Dadgi
    But the child has to want the therapy. I DO NOT BELIEVE in forced therapy. It is worthless and is against our Constitution and against Christian beliefs. I believe that homosexuality is a choice. I have had homosexual friends that have become heterosexual and some have chosen to live without a sexual partener. They all have told me that it is a choice. I know the modern theory states you are born to be a homosexual but I believe this is a lie.
  • Sunshine 2012/11/21 20:28:52
    Quackery
    Sunshine
    You can't change the way a child is born. I am gay and you could never turn me straight! I find it ridiculous that people try to "turn gays straight."
  • ☂cinderella.dress.in.yellow☂ 2012/11/16 14:01:09
    Quackery
    ☂cinderella.dress.in.yellow☂
    Must we go with this !
  • xXILoveVinnyBooXx 2012/11/16 02:47:27
    Quackery
    xXILoveVinnyBooXx
    thats like saying you have a tomboy daughter and you want to turn them all girly or trying to force your dog act like a cat -.-
  • Jo 2012/11/13 12:50:51
    Quackery
    Jo
    That is horrible.... If being homosexual is what the kids want let them be. As a middle and high schooler i was a lesbian and I still am and I am happy about..even if kids can try being homosexual for a while just to see what it's like it would be okay
  • Peter Jo 2012/11/15 11:35:25
    Peter
    My whole argument is not really about being gay or not as their is many ways and times that one can be in the position where you can make a choice to any sex mate. As a believer in God who made me a man and even gave the gay person to satan to be filled with 22 negative caracters because of a "lie" been told by satan mentioned in the bible. If you can make peace with that against God's will you have the full right to.If you're not gay plse don't through a rock where you can't see.
  • Chris Green 2012/11/05 15:29:32
    Quackery
    Chris Green
    +1
    First of all, it is impossible to make a Homosexual/Lesbian/Bisexual person straight. Impossible. Anyone who says they have succeeded in achieving this should be locked up under The Mental Health Act or whatever the equivalent is anywhere else.
    Secondly, why would anyone even try to do this. It's diabolical. Every human being on the planet has the right to life. Should enjoy the same rights as one another. Should all be treated as equals. I'm not talking tolerance here. I'm talking total acceptance.
    Don't allow religious leaders a say in this.
    Whether it is genetic or whether it is a choice made. Some people are Gay. Get used to it.
  • Peter Chris G... 2012/11/13 03:44:44
    Peter
    +4
    Halo I would like to agree to some statements but then again I have been a gay queen also thinking it was impossible to turn at all. Now I'm strait for more than 26 years and lost the desire to the same sex completely after my 2nd year of turning.
  • Chris G... Peter 2012/11/13 17:47:51
    Chris Green
    I have friends who for the best part of their lives, have been Gay. Then, BANG, like a bolt from the blue, meet a girl, fall in love, settle down have kids and that's it. Go figure.
    I'm Bi. I prefer girls to men but every now and then I like to get with a fella.
    That's a choice that is made out of an urge. Almost like you have no choice (we all have choices, I know).
    This is why I'm torn over any scientific theory as to whether homosexuality is genetic or whether it is a lifestyle choice.
    I really don't have the answer. My own theory is that maybe, Just maybe, Mother Nature has her own way to deal with population growth.
    Straight men in prison who have been heterosexual all their lives form homosexual liaisons on the inside.
    Animals are also known to have homosexual relationships.
    What I do know is this. Therapy to alter the way someone regards their own sexuality, is totally abhorrent
  • misslindylicious 2012/11/02 08:36:47
    Quackery
    misslindylicious
    People choose to be gay . So you can't change their minds , they have to change .
  • Chris G... misslin... 2012/11/13 17:53:33
    Chris Green
    I'm torn on this one. I've heard it said and read about it too, that there is a theory that homosexuality is genetic as opposed to an actual choice we make. I don't know though. Does it really matter. If it is a choice then people should be free to choose who they partner. The church and state should have NO control over anyone's body or mind. Not ever. It's disgusting and hateful when the aforementioned institutions try to take control and "Therapy" to "cure" them is parallel to Dr Mengele experiments on people during WWII
  • Inge 2012/10/29 22:52:05
    Quackery
    Inge
    +1
    It still stuns me every time that many people actually still firmly stand by their opinion that homosexuality is a sin and that it should be banned or whatever. It's just... so sad.
  • Jeremiah 2012/10/23 19:41:05
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/10/22 17:36:10
  • Animemasta 2012/10/19 22:30:29
    Quackery
    Animemasta
    It's stupid you were born that way and accept it you can't change it! be proud!
  • Grammar Freak 2012/10/13 13:28:58
  • Jesse 2012/10/12 18:14:56
    Legitimate
    Jesse
    +1
    Please support freedom of speech in America and combat the Homosexual Agenda of silencing those who would defend decency and morality. Join our "Against The Gay Agenda" group at:
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...
  • Animemasta Jesse 2012/10/19 22:32:34
    Animemasta
    YOU ARE CRUEL DONT SUPPORT THIS! THIS IS WRONG! THERE IS NOTING WRONG WITH THEM YOU CAN'T CURE HOMOS! THEY WERE BORN THIS WAY AND BEAUTIFUL HUMANS! YOU SIR ARE DIGUSTING BURN IN HELL!
  • Sean 2012/10/11 03:20:09
    Quackery
    Sean
    +1
    Besides, even if we could turn gay children straight, why would we? We have a population crisis on our hands. The more kids who turn out to be gay, the better.
  • AHopefulAgnostic 2012/10/10 23:00:16 (edited)
    Quackery
    AHopefulAgnostic
    Funny to see many of those who answer 'legitimate' don't give valid reasons as to why such therapy is legitimate, just the same vitriolic, "homosexuality is a sin and gays are evil!".
  • Theodosius 2012/10/10 18:32:38
    Legitimate
    Theodosius
    +1
    God is just.The Bible tells us to stone all those who practice homosexual intercourse. Emperor Theodosius gave the law to both East and West Roman Empires that those who commit homosexual sodomy should be burned to death. If we reinstituted this law today, these obnoxious "gay rights" activists would soon stop flaunting their disgusting perversion in our faces. See my profile for more on Emperor Theodosius.
    gay rights activists flaunting disgusting perversion faces profile emperor theodosius
    EMPEROR FLAVIUS THEODOSIUS

If you oppose giving special rights and privileges to homosexuals, please join our "Against the Gay Agenda" group.
    AGAINST THE GAY AGENDA
  • Augure3VI Theodosius 2012/10/11 02:29:52
  • Psyblade Theodosius 2012/10/11 05:02:11
    Psyblade
    +2
    So you would condone burning people alive just because they're gay? You sicken me.
  • Grammar... Theodosius 2012/10/13 13:30:06
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    So... if your kid turns out to be gay, are you going to stone him/her??
  • Animemasta Theodosius 2012/10/19 22:46:07
    Animemasta
    What is wrong with you.......I am homo.....and proud! BURN IN HELL GOD WILL PUNISH YOU! AND ROMANS FELL YEARS AGO ITS 21 CENTURY NOW GET OVER WITH IT! BECAUSES BEING GAY DOESNT MATTA!
  • Aida Theodosius 2012/11/21 19:59:55
    Aida
    +11
    I don't believe they should be burned or mistreated, but they need to turn away from there sin. It can be hard to change but it is not impossible. If God made you a woman you are a woman. If God made you a man you are a man. I believe God loves the Lesbian and the homosexual as a human being. It's the same as he or she who commits Adultury or fornication or murder or any other sin. God just says turn away and repent and he will help you. God is Love for he doesn't want the death of the sinner he just wants you to turn away and repent and do what is right.
  • Reaper 2012/10/09 15:39:59
  • Eric 2012/10/08 14:25:28
  • ajracestables1 2012/10/08 02:05:41
    Legitimate
    ajracestables1
    +1
    It should at least be addressed, just don't bury your head in the sand and pretend nothing is happening.
  • Jeremiah ajraces... 2012/10/23 19:45:57
    Jeremiah
    I would agree, something is happening. People are trying to ruin other peoples' lives by telling them that they are evil sinners. Which, might I add, is based on arbitrary evaluation of a 2000 year old book that was created to make people come together, and is thoroughly abused by crazy people. So thanks for noticing that something's happening.
  • Jayne 2012/10/07 21:02:42
    Quackery
    Jayne
    +3
    Your sexuality is not a choice and it certainly can not be changed. A person can hide their sexuality and live a lie or that person can be who and what they are and be themselves. Sad fact is that some hide to survive in society. Don't you think it's time to end the hate?
  • monte Jayne 2012/10/08 00:39:11
    monte
    ok Im confused by the double standard a homosexual can hide in a heterosexual life, but a heterosexual to hide from past abuse ( sexual or physical ect ) cannot hide in a homosexual lifestyle ? so therefore would not be a homosexual ? those people, people who havent dealt with past abuse ect cant be helped to act their "normal" through therapy? a girl abused can act out in self distructive lifestyle (multiple partners ) because she has not delt with her abuse , a boy abused by a man could act out the abuse over and over with male partners because they havent delt with that abuse (they would be considered homosexual but are they , so many people see this as cut and dry , its not ,,, someone preforms a homosexual act dosent mean they are a homosexual ... anymore than if a person preforms a heterosexual act makes him heterosexual...
  • Jayne monte 2012/10/10 20:05:27
    Jayne
    What does a hetrosexual have to hide from? All people are born with a sex, a gender and a sexuality. The only one that can possibly be changed is sex (for apearances only). Perhaps one day there will be a way for a transgender to have a baby (M2F) or perhaps father a child (F2M) but that technology is not there yet. You can not change your gender or your sexuality. So the reasons for the problem is the hatred caused by religion and the ignorance of the people. Hope this clears up your confusion.
  • monte Jayne 2012/10/12 10:45:22
    monte
    +1
    a heterosexual can hide from their sexuality in a gay lifestyle because of not dealing with abuse (i know actual examples of real people ) you act like heterosexual people cant have problems , trauma .... behavior can be modified because of trauma not sexuality but behavior , this trauma may be brought out and dealt with through this therapy and a heterosexual that is acting out abuse in a homosexual way may be helped to act their true sexuality .... one in four women have been molested as children (i belive this statistic is low) if only a small percentage of these wemens sexual behavior is modified by this abuse (in the form of rejecting a male as a partner ) this program could potentially help alot of people...
  • Grammar... monte 2012/10/13 13:40:52
    Grammar Freak
    But abuse does not necessarily result in a shift of sexual orientation. In fact, it rarely does in women. The reason it might happen more often in males is because the majority of abuse little boys suffer is from an adult male predator.

Therapy is for people who've been traumatized. It is not for healthy children who are exploring &/or discovering their sexuality & sexual orientation... even those that find they might be/are homosexual. If the child has not suffered some sort of trauma, therapy is simply psycho parents trying to force their kid(s) into a mold he/she doesn't fit into naturally.
  • Jonathan 2012/10/07 03:51:02
    Legitimate
    Jonathan
    +3
    Joseph Smith taught us that homosexuality is wrong and Joseph Smith is the prophet for our time. Now that we are electing a Mormon president, I hope many more people will accept the Mormon truth. We need to quit teaching children that it is all right to be homosexual and at least outlaw all public manifestations of this despicable depravity.
  • Augure3VI Jonathan 2012/10/07 04:52:51
  • monte Jonathan 2012/10/07 11:31:43
    monte
    you obviously worship joseph smith because he is your standard ,they should have named the cult after him ...oh wait they couldn't have because then they couldnt LOOK as acceptable
  • phil white Jonathan 2012/10/07 13:20:36 (edited)
    phil white
    +1
    I understand it's politically impossible to prosecute polygamy in Utah. I also understand the practice of the old polygamist cults there is to harass and drive out the excess boys when they become teens. They are called "The lost boys."
    Once they are kicked out naturally they take up with young women in the normal surrounding society. It's just another variant of the old Mormon tactic of taking thier extra wives from the surrounding Chrisitan communities. It's no wonder they were driven out of every state.
    Another thing I've noticed is of the three people I knew on a first name basis who married Mormons it was always a Mormon man marrying a non-Mormon woman.
    Personally if that's the way Mormons opperate I'd like to see Utah seceed. Then we could have border guards to prevent woman stealing from the general monogamist populaiton.
  • Jayne Jonathan 2012/10/10 20:11:08
    Jayne
    +1
    Here again is more hatred coming from religion. It's time to stop the BS! Joseph Smith was nothing more than a conman who wanted many wives, money and control over others. As ar as the mormon president goes I don't believe that it will happen. Mr. Romney is nothing but a flipp-flopping liar who only says what the ignorant want to hear. The people won't be fooled by his rederick.

2014/11/22 13:20:02