The Words Of A Leader: 60 President Obama Quotes That Put Republicans To Shame

Hanna 2012/03/08 16:40:00
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/03/07/the-words-of-a-true-l...

It seems like the American people have heard plenty of statements, both past and present, from the Republican Presidential candidates. Indeed, it seems we have been so tuned in to the divisive and destructive things that the Republicans have had to say, that we have overlooked the man that they seek to defeat in November. President Obama has had much to say over the last four years to the American people, but the distracting dialogue of the GOP has overshadowed him, rendering the great words of a true leader to non-headline status on most news sites and programs. It used to be that the words of the President were of the utmost importance to Americans. But a certain political faction in this country has made every effort to delegitimize Barack Obama’s Presidency and have worked hard to keep the focus on what they say and what they want, regardless of the will of the people. Over the course of his life in public service and especially the last four years, President Obama has been the steady hand that Americans have desperately needed. What’s sad is that not many Americans have been able to listen to him because of the constant prattling of Republicans. So here are 60 quotes by President Obama that put the Republicans to shame and show what a true leader sounds like.

1. “Given the increasing diversity of America’s population, the dangers of sectarianism have never been greater. Whatever we once were, we are no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers. And even if we did have only Christians in our midst, if we expelled every non-Christian from the United States of America, whose Christianity would we teach in the schools? Would we go with James Dobson’s, or Al Sharpton’s? Which passages of Scripture should guide our public policy? Should we go with Leviticus, which suggests slavery is ok and that eating shellfish is abomination? How about Deuteronomy, which suggests stoning your child if he strays from the faith? Or should we just stick to the Sermon on the Mount – a passage that is so radical that it’s doubtful that our own Defense Department would survive its application? So before we get carried away, let’s read our bibles. Folks haven’t been reading their bibles.” ~Barack Obama, Speech, November 2008

2. “It’s been funny to watch some of these politicians completely rewrite history now that you’re back on your feet. These are the folks who said if we went forward with our plan to rescue Detroit, “You can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye.” Now they’re saying they were right all along. Or worse, they’re saying that the problem is that you, the workers, made out like bandits in all of this; that saving the American auto industry was just about paying back unions. Really? Even by the standards of this town, that’s a load of you-know-what. About 700,000 retirees saw a reduction in the health care benefits they had earned. Many of you saw hours reduced, or pay and wages scaled back. You gave up some of your rights as workers. Promises were made to you over the years that you gave up for the sake and survival of this industry, its workers, and their families. You want to talk about values? Hard work — that’s a value. Looking out for one another — that’s a value. The idea that we’re all in it together — that I am my brother’s keeper; I am my sister’s keeper — that is a value. But they’re still talking about you as if you’re some greedy special interest that needs to be beaten. Since when are hardworking men and women special interests? Since when is the idea that we look out for each other a bad thing? To borrow a line from our old friend Ted Kennedy: What is it about working men and women they find so offensive?” ~Barack Obama, addressing United Auto Workers in Washington DC, February 2012

3. “I reject the idea that asking a hedge fund manager to pay the same tax rate as a teacher or a plumber is class warfare. I think it’s just the the right thing to do. Both parties agree that we need to reduce the deficit by the same amount, by $4 trillion. So what choices are we going to make to reach that goal? Either we ask the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share in taxes or we ask seniors to pay more for Medicare. We can’t afford to do both. Either we gut education and medical research or we’ve got to reform the tax code so that most profitable corporations have to give up tax loopholes that other companies don’t get. We can’t afford to do both. This is not class warfare, it’s math.” ~Barack Obama, during a speech, September 19, 2011

4. “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” ~Barack Obama, speech, February 5, 2008

5. “Contrary to the claims of some of my critics and some of the editorial pages, I am an ardent believer in the free market.” ~Barack Obama, Business Roundtable, February 24, 2010

6. “A good compromise, a good piece of legislation, is like a good sentence; or a good piece of music. Everybody can recognize it. They say, ‘Huh. It works. It makes sense.’” Barack Obama, The New Yorker, May 31, 2004

7. “America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.” ~Barack Obama, Cairo University, June 2009

8. “We don’t begrudge financial success in this country. We admire it. When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it’s not because they envy the rich. It’s because they understand that when I get a tax break I don’t need and the country can’t afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference – like a senior on a fixed income, or a student trying to get through school, or a family trying to make ends meet. That’s not right. Americans know that’s not right. They know that this generation’s success is only possible because past generations felt a responsibility to each other, and to the future of their country, and they know our way of life will only endure if we feel the same sense of shared responsibility. That’s how we’ll reduce our deficit. That’s an America built to last.” ~Barack Obama, State of the Union Address, January 2012

9. “As a nuclear power – as the only nuclear power to have used a nuclear weapon – the United States has a moral responsibility to act.” ~Barack Obama, Speech in Prague about reducing nuclear arsenals around the world, April 2009

10. “I don’t oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war.” Barack Obama, The New Yorker, May 31, 2004

11. “I know my country has not perfected itself. At times, we’ve struggled to keep the promise of liberty and equality for all of our people. We’ve made our share of mistakes, and there are times when our actions around the world have not lived up to our best intentions. But I also know how much I love America. I know that for more than two centuries, we have strived – at great cost and great sacrifice – to form a more perfect union; to seek, with other nations, a more hopeful world. Our allegiance has never been to any particular tribe or kingdom – indeed, every language is spoken in our country; every culture has left its imprint on ours; every point of view is expressed in our public squares. What has always united us – what has always driven our people; what drew my father to America’s shores – is a set of ideals that speak to aspirations shared by all people: that we can live free from fear and free from want; that we can speak our minds and assemble with whomever we choose and worship as we please.” ~Barack Obama, Berlin Speech, July 24, 2008

12. “I think what you’re seeing is a profound recognition on the part of the American people that gays and lesbians and transgender persons are our brothers, our sisters, our children, our cousins, our friends, our co-workers, and that they’ve got to be treated like every other American. And I think that principle will win out. I think we’re moving in a direction of greater equality and — and I think that’s a good thing. And we have done more in the two and a half years that I’ve been in here than the previous 43 Presidents to uphold that principle, whether it’s ending “don’t ask, don’t tell,” making sure that gay and lesbian partners can visit each other in hospitals, making sure that federal benefits can be provided to same-sex couples.” ~Barack Obama, Presidential News Conference, June 2011

13. “In the absence of sound oversight, responsible businesses are forced to compete against unscrupulous and underhanded businesses, who are unencumbered by any restrictions on activities that might harm the environment, or take advantage of middle-class families, or threaten to bring down the entire financial system.” ~Barack Obama, Remarks by the President Announcing the President’s Export Council, July 7, 2007

14. “It was not a religion that attacked us that September day. It was al-Qaeda. We will not sacrifice the liberties we cherish or hunker down behind walls of suspicion and mistrust.” ~Barack Obama, commemoration remarks, September 11, 2010

15. “It was the labor movement that helped secure so much of what we take for granted today. The 40-hour work week, the minimum wage, family leave, health insurance, Social Security, Medicare, retirement plans. The cornerstones of the middle-class security all bear the union label.” ~Barack Obama, Labor Day Speech, September 7, 2010

16. “On every front there are clear answers out there that can make this country stronger, but we’re going to break through the fear and the frustration people are feeling. Our job is to make sure that even as we make progress, that we are also giving people a sense of hope and vision for the future.” ~Barack Obama, Remarks at DSCC fundraiser, October 16, 2010

17. “There is not a liberal America and a conservative America – there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and a latino America and an Asian America – there’s the United States of America.” ~Barack Obama, Democratic National Convention, 2004

18. “This is the moment when we must build on the wealth that open markets have created, and share its benefits more equitably. Trade has been a cornerstone of our growth and global development. But we will not be able to sustain this growth if it favors the few, and not the many.” ~Barack Obama, Inaugural Address, January 2009

19. “This is the moment when we must come together to save this planet. Let us resolve that we will not leave our children a world where the oceans rise and famine spreads and terrible storms devastate our lands.” ~Barack Obama, Berlin Speech, July 2008

20. “We didn’t become the most prosperous country in the world just by rewarding greed and recklessness. We didn’t come this far by letting the special interests run wild. We didn’t do it just by gambling and chasing paper profits on Wall Street. We built this country by making things, by producing goods we could sell.” ~Barack Obama, Labor Day Speech, September 2010

21. “We have an obligation and a responsibility to be investing in our students and our schools. We must make sure that people who have the grades, the desire and the will, but not the money, can still get the best education possible.” ~Barack Obama, during a speech, April 2011

22. “We need somebody who’s got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it’s like to be a young teenage mom, the empathy to understand what it’s like to be poor or African-American or gay or disabled or old – and that’s the criterion by which I’ll be selecting my judges.” ~Barack Obama, Planned Parenthood Conference, July 2007

23. “When I heard that BP was not moving fast enough on claims, we told BP to set aside $20 billion in a fund – managed by an independent third party – to help all those whose lives have been turned upside down by the spill.” ~Barack Obama, remarks at Xavier University, August 2010

24. “Where the stakes are the highest, in the war on terror, we cannot possibly succeed without extraordinary international cooperation. Effective international police actions require the highest degree of intelligence sharing, planning and collaborative enforcement.” ~Barack Obama, speaking about international cooperation in 2008

25. “One of the great strengths of the United States is… we have a very large Christian population – we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation. We consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values.” ~Barack Obama, press conference in Turkey, April 2009

26. “With patient and firm determination, I am going to press on for jobs. I’m going to press on for equality. I’m going to press on for the sake of our children. I’m going to press on for the sake of all those families who are struggling right now. I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself. I don’t have time to complain. I am going to press on.”
~Barack Obama, speech to Congressional Black Caucus, September 2011

27. “That is the true genius of America, a faith in the simple dreams of its people, the insistence on small miracles. That we can say what we think, write what we think, without hearing a sudden knock on the door. That we can have an idea and start our own business without paying a bribe or hiring somebody’s son. That we can participate in the political process without fear of retribution, and that our votes will be counted — or at least, most of the time.” ~Barack Obama, speech at Democratic National Convention, 2004

28. “Hope is what led a band of colonists to rise up against an empire; what led the greatest of generations to free a continent and heal a nation; what led young women and young men to sit at lunch counters and brave fire hoses and march through Selma and Montgomery for freedom’s cause. Hope is what led me here today–with a father from Kenya, a mother from Kansas; and a story that could only happen in the United States of America. Hope is the bedrock of this nation; the belief that our destiny will not be written for us, but by us; by all those men and women who are not content to settle for the world as it is; who have courage to remake the world as it should be.” ~Barack Obama, speech, January 3, 2008

29. “The success of our economy has always depended not just on the size of our gross domestic product, but on the reach of our prosperity, on the ability to extend opportunity to every willing heart — not out of charity, but because it is the surest route to our common good.” ~Barack Obama, Inaugural Address, January 2009

30. “In a global economy where the most valuable skill you can sell is your knowledge, a good education is no longer just a pathway to opportunity – it is a pre-requisite.” ~Barack Obama, Address to Joint Session of Congress, February 24, 2009

31. “The best judge of whether or not a country is going to develop is how it treats its women. If it’s educating its girls, if women have equal rights, that country is going to move forward. But if women are oppressed and abused and illiterate, then they’re going to fall behind.” ~Barack Obama, Ladies’ Home Journal, September 2008

32. “For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus, and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth; and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace.” ~Barack Obama, Inaugural Address, January 2009

33. “With the magnitude of the challenges we face right now, what we need in Washington are not more political tactics — we need more good ideas. We don’t need more point-scoring — we need more problem-solving.” ~Barack Obama, press conference, March 17, 2009

34. “There’s something about the American spirit -– inherent in the American spirit — we don’t hang on to the past. We always move forward…. We are going to leave something better for our children –- not just here in the United States, but all around the world.” ~Barack Obama, speech during DNC fundraiser, October 2009

35. “You know, there’s a lot of talk in this country about the federal deficit. But I think we should talk more about our empathy deficit – the ability to put ourselves in someone else’s shoes; to see the world through the eyes of those who are different from us – the child who’s hungry, the steelworker who’s been laid-off, the family who lost the entire life they built together when the storm came to town. When you think like this – when you choose to broaden your ambit of concern and empathize with the plight of others, whether they are close friends or distant strangers – it becomes harder not to act; harder not to help.” ~Barack Obama, speech, August 2006

36. “When we send our young men and women into harm’s way, we have a solemn obligation not to fudge the numbers or shade the truth about why they’re going, to care for their families while they’re gone, to tend to the soldiers upon their return, and to never ever go to war without enough troops to win the war, secure the peace, and earn the respect of the world.” ~Barack Obama, speech at Democratic National Convention, 2004

37. “I trust the American people to realize that while we don’t need big government, we do need a government that stands up for families who are being tricked out of their homes by Wall Street predators; a government that stands up for the middle-class by giving them a tax break; a government that ensures that no American will ever lose their life savings just because their child gets sick. Security and opportunity; compassion and prosperity aren’t liberal values or conservative values – they’re American values.” ~Barack Obama, speech, May 2008

38. “Acts of sacrifice and decency without regard to what’s in it for you create ripple effects. Ones that lift up families and communities, that spread opportunity and boost our economy.” ~Barack Obama, Arizona State Commencement Speech, 2009

39. “There’s new energy to harness, new jobs to be created, new schools to build, and threats to meet, alliances to repair. The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even in one term. But, America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you, we as a people will get there. There will be setbacks and false starts. There are many who won’t agree with every decision or policy I make as president. And we know the government can’t solve every problem. But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And, above all, I will ask you to join in the work of remaking this nation, the only way it’s been done in America for 221 years — block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand.” ~Barack Obama, Election Night Speech in Chicago, November 4, 2008

40. “Everyone here knows that we have badly decaying roads and bridges all over this country. Our highways are clogged with traffic. Our skies are the most congested in the world. This is inexcusable. Building a world-class transportation system is part of what made us an economic superpower. And now we’re going to sit back and watch China build newer airports and faster railroads? At a time when millions of unemployed construction workers could build them right here in America?”
~Barack Obama, speaking about infrastructure during jobs plan speech to Joint Session of Congress, September 2011

41. “I trust the American people to realize that while we don’t need big government, we do need a government that stands up for families who are being tricked out of their homes by Wall Street predators; a government that stands up for the middle-class by giving them a tax break; a government that ensures that no American will ever lose their life savings just because their child gets sick. Security and opportunity; compassion and prosperity aren’t liberal values or conservative values – they’re American values.” ~Barack Obama, speech, May 2008

42. “We have a huge opportunity, at this moment, to bring manufacturing back. But we have to seize it. Tonight, my message to business leaders is simple: Ask yourselves what you can do to bring jobs back to your country and your country will do everything we can to help you succeed.” ~Barack Obama, State of the Union Address, January 2012

43. “I reject the view that says our problems will simply take care of themselves; that says government has no role in laying the foundation for our common prosperity. For history tells a different story. History reminds us that at every moment of economic upheaval and transformation, this nation has responded with bold action and big ideas. In the midst of civil war, we laid railroad tracks from one coast to another that spurred commerce and industry. From the turmoil of the Industrial Revolution came a system of public high schools that prepared our citizens for a new age. In the wake of war and depression, the GI Bill sent a generation to college and created the largest middle-class in history. And a twilight struggle for freedom led to a nation of highways, an American on the moon, and an explosion of technology that still shapes our world. In each case, government didn’t supplant private enterprise; it catalyzed private enterprise. It created the conditions for thousands of entrepreneurs and new businesses to adapt and to thrive.” ~Barack Obama, Address to Joint Session of Congress, February 2009

44. “What I’ve tried to do since I started running for President and since I was sworn in as President, is to communicate the notion that America is a critical actor and leader on the world stage, and that we shouldn’t be embarrassed about that, but that we exercise our leadership best when we are listening; when we recognize that the world is a complicated place and that we are going to have to act in partnership with other countries; when we lead by example; when we show some element of humility and recognize that we may not always have the best answer, but we can always encourage the best answer and support the best answer.” ~Barack Obama, press conference, April 2009

45. “The only way to fully restore America’s economic strength is to make the long-term investments that will lead to new jobs, new industries, and a renewed ability to compete with the rest of the world. The only way this century will be another American century is if we confront at last the price of our dependence on oil and the high cost of health care; the schools that aren’t preparing our children and the mountain of debt they stand to inherit.” ~Barack Obama, Address to Joint Session of Congress, February 2009

46. “Hostility and hatred are no match for justice; they offer no pathway to peace.”
~Barack Obama, speech, February 2009

47. “If we neglect or abandon those who are suffering in poverty … not only are we depriving ourselves of potential opportunities for markets and economic growth, but ultimately that despair may turn to violence that turns on us.” ~Barack Obama, press conference, April 2009

48. “I know that there are some on Wall Street and in Washington who’ve said that we should only focus on the banking crisis and one problem at a time. Well, we’re spending a lot of time focusing on this banking crisis, and we will continue to do so because until we get liquidity flowing again, we will not fully recover. But the American people don’t have the luxury of just focusing on Wall Street. They don’t have the luxury of choosing to pay either their mortgage or their medical bills. They don’t get to pick between paying for their kids’ college tuition and saving enough money for retirement. They have to do all these things. They have to confront all these problems. And as a consequence, so do we.” ~Barack Obama, press conference, March 2009

49. “The state of our union is getting stronger. And we’ve come too far to turn back now. As long as I’m president, I will work with anyone in this chamber to build on this momentum. But I intend to fight obstruction with action and I will oppose any effort to return to the very same policies that brought on this economic crisis in the first place.” ~Barack Obama, State of the Union Address, January 2012

50. “I know some have argued that brutal methods like water-boarding were necessary to keep us safe. I could not disagree more. As Commander-in-Chief, I see the intelligence, I bear responsibility for keeping this country safe, and I reject the assertion that these are the most effective means of interrogation. What’s more, they undermine the rule of law. They alienate us in the world. They serve as a recruitment tool for terrorists, and increase the will of our enemies to fight us, while decreasing the will of others to work with America. They risk the lives of our troops by making it less likely that others will surrender to them in battle, and more likely that Americans will be mistreated if they are captured. In short, they did not advance our war and counter-terrorism efforts – they undermined them, and that is why I ended them once and for all.” ~Barack Obama, speech, May 2009

51. “Discrimination cannot stand — not on account of color or gender; how you worship or who you love. Prejudice has no place in the United States of America.”
~Barack Obama, speech, July 2009

52. “We should all want a smarter, more effective government. And while we may not be able to bridge our biggest philosophical differences this year, we can make real progress. With or without this Congress, I will keep taking actions that help the economy grow. But I can do a whole lot more with your help. Because when we act together, there is nothing the United States of America can’t achieve.” ~Barack Obama, State of the Union Address, January 2012

53. “I don’t believe that the American people want us to focus on our job security. They want us to focus on their job security. I don’t think they want more gridlock. I don’t think they want more partisanship. I don’t think they want more obstruction. They didn’t send us to Washington to fight each other in some sort of political steel-cage match to see who comes out alive. That’s not what they want. They sent us to Washington to work together, to get things done, and to solve the problems that they’re grappling with every single day.” ~Barack Obama, remarks to GOP House Issues Conference, January 2010

54. “I know that there are those who disagree with the overwhelming scientific evidence on climate change. But here’s the thing — even if you doubt the evidence, providing incentives for energy-efficiency and clean energy are the right thing to do for our future -– because the nation that leads the clean energy economy will be the nation that leads the global economy. And America must be that nation.” ~Barack Obama, State of the Union Address, January 2010

55. “I believe in a strong financial sector that helps people to raise capital and get loans and invest their savings. That’s part of what has made America what it is. But a free market was never meant to be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it. That’s what happened too often in the years leading up to this crisis. Some — and let me be clear, not all — but some on Wall Street forgot that behind every dollar traded or leveraged there’s family looking to buy a house, or pay for an education, open a business, save for retirement. What happens on Wall Street has real consequences across the country, across our economy.” ~Barack Obama, speech, April 2010

56. “We should be working on comprehensive immigration reform right now. But if election-year politics keeps Congress from acting on a comprehensive plan, let’s at least agree to stop expelling responsible young people who want to staff our labs, start new businesses, and defend this country. Send me a law that gives them the chance to earn their citizenship. I will sign it right away.” ~Barack Obama, State of the Union Address, January 2012

57. “We need to give consumers more protection and more power in our financial system. This is not about stifling competition, stifling innovation; it’s just the opposite. With a dedicated agency setting ground rules and looking out for ordinary people in our financial system, we will empower consumers with clear and concise information when they’re making financial decisions. So instead of competing to offer confusing products, companies will compete the old-fashioned way, by offering better products. And that will mean more choices for consumers, more opportunities for businesses, and more stability in our financial system. And unless your business model depends on bilking people, there is little to fear from these new rules.” ~Barack Obama, speech, April 2010

58. “We’ve been fighting about the proper size and role of government since the day the Framers gathered in Philadelphia…. But what troubles me is when I hear people say that all of government is inherently bad…. When our government is spoken of as some menacing, threatening foreign entity, it ignores the fact that in our democracy, government is us. We, the people — we, the people, hold in our hands the power to choose our leaders and change our laws, and shape our own destiny. Government is the police officers who are protecting our communities, and the servicemen and women who are defending us abroad. Government is the roads you drove in on and the speed limits that kept you safe. Government is what ensures that mines adhere to safety standards and that oil spills are cleaned up by the companies that caused them.” ~Barack Obama, speech at University of Michigan, May 1, 2010

59. “There’s no reason why Congress shouldn’t at least set a clean energy standard that creates a market for innovation. So far, you haven’t acted. Well tonight, I will. I’m directing my administration to allow the development of clean energy on enough public land to power 3 million homes.” ~Barack Obama, State of the Union Address, January 2012

60. “Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda, and a terrorist who’s responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children. It was nearly 10 years ago that a bright September day was darkened by the worst attack on the American people in our history. The images of 9/11 are seared into our national memory — hijacked planes cutting through a cloudless September sky; the Twin Towers collapsing to the ground; black smoke billowing up from the Pentagon; the wreckage of Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where the actions of heroic citizens saved even more heartbreak and destruction. And yet we know that the worst images are those that were unseen to the world. The empty seat at the dinner table. Children who were forced to grow up without their mother or their father. Parents who would never know the feeling of their child’s embrace. Nearly 3,000 citizens taken from us, leaving a gaping hole in our hearts…. For over two decades, bin Laden has been al Qaeda’s leader and symbol, and has continued to plot attacks against our country and our friends and allies. The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation’s effort to defeat al Qaeda. Yet his death does not mark the end of our effort. There’s no doubt that al Qaeda will continue to pursue attacks against us. We must –- and we will — remain vigilant at home and abroad. As we do, we must also reaffirm that the United States is not –- and never will be -– at war with Islam. I’ve made clear, just as President Bush did shortly after 9/11, that our war is not against Islam. Bin Laden was not a Muslim leader; he was a mass murderer of Muslims. Indeed, al Qaeda has slaughtered scores of Muslims in many countries, including our own. So his demise should be welcomed by all who believe in peace and human dignity…. Americans understand the costs of war. Yet as a country, we will never tolerate our security being threatened, nor stand idly by when our people have been killed. We will be relentless in defense of our citizens and our friends and allies. We will be true to the values that make us who we are. And on nights like this one, we can say to those families who have lost loved ones to al Qaeda’s terror: Justice has been done. ~Barack Obama, announcement of the death of Osama Bin Laden, May 1, 2011

Americans are lucky to have a man like President Obama in the Oval Office. He cares about the future of our country more than the Republicans, who only care about political power, corporate greed, and domination over others. President Obama has made every effort to create jobs, improve health care, protect the environment, develop clean energy, and protect the rights of everyone in this country. He has restored the reputation of America around the globe and has executed a responsibly sound foreign policy that has kept America safe. His progress on all of these fronts have been hindered by Republicans who seek to sabotage his policy goals, all in an effort to seek revenge for their heavy loss in 2008. Despite his incredible and serious efforts to compromise, Republicans refuse to work with the President out of sheer hatred. It doesn’t matter what President Obama tries to do, Republicans will always oppose him and are willing to destroy the country to get their way. And since President Obama supports everything that has made America great, Republicans will only seek to wipe out all of those things and have admitted as such. That is not true leadership. It’s treason. President Obama is the only true leader in the 2012 Election and it’s time to take his words seriously and give them more respect than the Republicans have shown him.

• Candy 2012/03/14 15:31:08 (edited)
    Candy
    Question on Limbaugh/Maher:

Twitter: #TheMissesHelp
    ----
    We don't need a man who talks a good talk. He was a community organizer, and he's great with a teleprompter. The problem is unemployment among African Americans is near 19%, while real unemployment numbers (including those who have given up working) are between 11%-15%. Even so, our standards with Bush (who had us at 6% unemployment) were higher than they are with Obama. The reported 8% should not be acceptible.

Yahoo explors "real" numbers: http://news.yahoo.com/real-jo...
    Washington Post examines numbers:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com...
    Forbes calculates jobless rate and says it's 11% also:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/p...
    Wherew did the 9 million jobs go? U1-6 Jobless numbers explained: http://news.goldseek.com/Gold...

3 years ago, Obama said that if he didn't have unemployment under 8% in 3 years, he would leave. Where is that quote?
    Where is your "sources" outside of quotes that anything he's said he's actually done. You say he's a leader, but where is your proof he has been a successful president?

He's not a leader just because he says nice things. He's got to back up what he says, and he has not so far. Our economy is failing, foreign policy is failing, energy companies a...
    Question on Limbaugh/Maher:

Twitter: #TheMissesHelp
    ----

Washington Post examines numbers:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com...
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/p...

He's not a leader just because he says nice things. He's got to back up what he says, and he has not so far. Our economy is failing, foreign policy is failing, energy companies are failing, gas prices may be $6 by May. This is not the hope or change we needed or wanted.
  • Hanna Candy 2012/03/14 22:45:49
    Hanna
    You are, well, just amusing.
  • Candy Hanna 2012/03/15 01:57:49
    Candy
    Yes, continue to not address any of the sources I've sited. Some of which are clearly left-leaning. Instead, make a passive insult. How clever you are...
  • Hanna Candy 2012/03/15 01:59:32 (edited)
    Hanna
    I realize it drives people like you nuts, but the president's economic policies are working and the economy is improving. Going back to the crazy conservative economic policies that created the mess would be a huge mistake. By the way, where's the "left-leaning" source in your post?
  • BlueRepublican 2012/03/08 17:52:18
    BlueRepublican
    I will admit, Obama sounds nice when he makes his speeches. And there is even a rumor that he writes his own speeches. But are we electing the Speaker-in Chief? The Executive Orator? I voted for him, btw...
  • Hanna BlueRep... 2012/03/10 19:45:41
    Hanna
    +1
    He's a leader!
  • THE ONE 2012/03/08 17:46:21
    THE ONE
    +1
    HERE ARE SOME MORE QUOTES BY OBAMA:

PASS MY STIMULUS AND UNEMPLOYMENT WILL NOT EXCEED 8%.

I WILL CLOSE GITMO IN ONE YEAR.

I WILL CREATE 4 MILLION JOBS.

I WILL CUT THE DEFICIT IN HALF BY THE END OF MY 1ST TERM.

I WILL POST BILLS ON LINE FOR 5 DAYS BEFORE SINGING.

SOLYNDRA IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE.

I WILL END THE WARS.

OBAMACARE WILL LOWER HEALTHCARE COSTS.
  • Hanna THE ONE 2012/03/10 19:45:52
    Hanna
    +1
    Oh my goodness, no sources!
  • THE ONE Hanna 2012/03/11 05:16:07
    THE ONE
    YOU ARE PROOF LIBERALS ARE THE MOST UNINFORMED VOTERS IF YOU NEVER HEARD THAT COME DIRECTLY OUT OF THE SERIAL LIAR OBAMA'S MOUTH.
  • Hanna THE ONE 2012/03/12 23:39:55
    Hanna
    Oh my goodness, another conservative posts a meaningless statement.
  • THE ONE Hanna 2012/06/06 02:31:11 (edited)
    THE ONE
    AMERICA NEEDS TO GET OUT THE VOTE AND GET OBAMA OUT OF OFFICE WHILE WE STILL HAVE AN AMERICA TO SAVE.

DEMS AND UNIONS WASTED UNION MEMBERS DUES, TAX PAYER MONEY AND THEN LOST IN A LANDSLIDE AFTER ONLY 22% OF VOTE TOTALS CAME IN......ANOTHER WHOOPING.

YOU CAN BET OBAMA WILL NOT RUN ON HIS FAILED POLICIES BUT THE MOST NEGATIVE CAMPAIGN EVER.
  • Candy Hanna 2012/03/14 15:28:10
    Candy
    You don't need sources, none of what he promised has happened!

6Trillion more in debt in under 3 years. Not one energy company we funneled money to has succeeded. GM cut off Chevy Volt. Gitmo is still open. Foreigners hate us more than ever. Real Unemployment 15%. 101 new regulations cost $45BILLION a year!

Who cares if he talks a good talk.
  • Hanna Candy 2012/03/14 22:46:45 (edited)
    Hanna
    "GM cut off Chevy Volt." Really? Source?

"Foreigners hate us more than ever." Source?

"101 new regulations cost $45BILLION a year!" Source?
  • THE ONE Hanna 2012/06/06 02:30:39 (edited)
    THE ONE
    JOBS REPORT LAST FRIDAY 5-31-12.....UNEMPLOYMENT UP....OBAMA FAILED YET AGAIN.

ON A SIDE NOTE, GOV. WALKER WHOOPS THE LIBERAL IN THE RECALL RACE FOR WISCONSIN.

AMERICA NEEDS TO GET OUT THE VOTE AND GET OBAMA OUT OF OFFICE WHILE WE STILL AHVE AN AMERICA TO SAVE.

• Stacie 2012/03/08 17:35:14
    Stacie
    +1
    I beg to differ on this. There are many inspirational and patriotic speeches and comments that were voiced by Republicans.

*****************************...

Ronald Reagan

“We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace. There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace. General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization, come here to this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!”

"Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man".

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same".

"I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life".

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the...

*****************************...
    ronald reagan
    Ronald Reagan

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first".

"Without God, democracy will not and cannot long endure".

*****************************...
    george w bush
    George W Bush

"I believe the most solemn duty of the American president is to protect the American people. If America shows uncertainty and weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy. This will not happen on my watch".

"I can hear you, the rest of the world can hear you and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon".

"I sent American troops to Iraq to make its people free, not to make them American. Iraqis will write their own history and find their own way."

"I understand everybody in this country doesn't agree with the decisions I've made. And I made some tough decisions. But people know where I stand".

"One of my proudest moments is I didn't sell my soul for the sake of popularity".

"States should have the right to enact laws... particularly to end the inhumane practice of ending a life that otherwise could live".

"The deliberate and deadly attacks which were carried out yesterday against our country were more than acts of terror. They were acts of war".

"The terrorists and their supporters declared war on the United States - and war is what they got".

*****************************... george h w bush
    George H W Bush

"Let future generations understand the burden and the blessings of freedom. Let them say we stood where duty required us to stand. Let them know that, together, we affirmed America and the world as a community of conscience. "

"There is much to do; and tomorrow the work begins. I do not mistrust the future; I do not fear what is ahead. For our problems are large, but our heart is larger. Our challenges are great, but our will is greater. And if our flaws are endless, God's love is truly boundless. "

"If anyone tells you that America's best days are behind her, they're looking the wrong way."

*****************************...
  • Hanna Stacie 2012/03/10 19:46:24
    Hanna
    Ronald Reagan couldn't get the Republican nomination in the current extremist party.
  • Stacie Hanna 2012/03/10 22:57:07
    Stacie
    I beg to differ.
  • Hanna Stacie 2012/03/10 23:15:00
    Hanna
    Then, you don't know anything about Ronald Reagan.
  • THE ONE 2012/03/08 17:03:01
    THE ONE
    +2
    TALK IS CHEAP.... ANYONE CAN READ A TELEPROMPTER. LET'S LOOK AT ALL OBAMAS ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

OBAMACARE MADE HEALTHCARE COST INCREASE BY OVER 20%.

GAS HAS DOUBLED.

RECORD HIGH POVERTY RATE.

LOSS OF AMERICAS CREDIT RATING.

HIGHER INFLATION.

HIGHER UNEMPLOYMENT.

HIGHER DEFICIT SPENDING.

RECORD HIGH NATIONAL DEBT...NEARLY DOUBLED.

LESS TRANSPARENTCY.

MORE VIOLENCE AT SOUTHERN BORDER.

MORE WARS.

RECORD HIGH TROOP AND CIVILIAN DEATHS IN AFGHANISTAN.
  • Hanna THE ONE 2012/03/08 17:06:15
    Hanna
    Oh my goodness, another conservative uses the false teleprompter argument. Your post is full of inaccurate statements.
  • FF/EMT Hanna 2012/03/08 17:41:12
    FF/EMT
    Yours is full of nothing but words. Words don't get things done, actions do.
  • Hanna FF/EMT 2012/03/10 19:47:02
    Hanna
    And, President Obama is acting while the Republicans are obstructing.
  • THE ONE Hanna 2012/03/08 17:42:26 (edited)
    THE ONE
    OK, IF YOU SAY I AM WRONG YOU MUST KNOW THE CORRECT ANSWERS.

SO TELL US WHEN OBAMA USES A TELEPROMPTER....ANY WHEN HE DOES NOT.

ALSO, POINT OUT ANY STATEMENT I MADE ABOVE THAT IS NOT ABSOLUTE FACT....USE DATES, DOLLAR AMOUNTS AND PERCENTAGES.

I CHALLENGE YOU
  • Hanna THE ONE 2012/03/10 19:47:21
    Hanna
    You didn't post any sources!
  • THE ONE Hanna 2012/03/11 05:17:24 (edited)
    THE ONE
    YES I AM WRONG....POST THE TRUTH FOR ALL TO SEE AND SITE YOUR SOURCES.....BET YOU CAN'T.
  • Hanna THE ONE 2012/03/14 22:47:33
    Hanna
    You posted opinions not facts. You haven't posted a single source!
  • THE ONE Hanna 2012/03/18 00:21:02
    THE ONE
    LETS GO....WE ARE ALL WAITING ON YOU TO POST THE TRUTH.
  • Hanna THE ONE 2012/03/19 21:58:37
    Hanna
    I already have!
  • THE ONE Hanna 2012/06/06 02:34:42
    THE ONE
    UNDER OBAMA:

UNEMPLOYMENT UP
    GAS PRICES UP
    INFLATAION UP
    NATIONAL DEBT UP
    AMERICA'S CREDIT RATING DOWN.
  • THE ONE Hanna 2012/06/06 02:33:06
    THE ONE
    IF YOU CAN PROVE ANYTHING I SAID TO BE ANYTHING BUT THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH......DO IT, I CHALLENGE YOU.

BTW.....UNEMPLOYMENT UP AGAIN.
  • THE ONE Hanna 2012/06/06 02:32:03
    THE ONE
    UNEMPLOYMENT UP AGAIN.....OBAMA FAILES AMERICA.
  • Tennyso... THE ONE 2012/03/08 17:12:08
    Tennyson James
    I see all of these as problems caused by big business - banking, oil, insurance etc... Why blame Obama?
  • THE ONE Tennyso... 2012/03/08 17:36:01
    THE ONE
    EXPLAIN HOW BANKS, OIL AND INSURANCE CAUSED GITMO TO REMAIN OPEN, THE DEFICITI TO NEARLY DOUBLEA AND THE RECORD HIGH DEATH TOTALS IN AFGHANISTAN FOR CIVILIANS AND TROOPS.

GO.
  • Hanna THE ONE 2012/03/10 19:46:42
    Hanna
    Oh my goodness, again, no sources!
  • Mickey 2012/03/08 16:44:07
    Mickey
    +1
    See the thing is a True Leader talks in terms of "I" when things go bad... and in terms of "WE" when things go well. King Barry is the exact Opposite, He Says I, I, I, when there is good news... And we, Them, they, he, she or it, when there is bad news.
  • Tennyso... Mickey 2012/03/08 17:11:08
    Tennyson James
    That is so untrue. What leader talked solely in terms of "I" when things went bad?
  • Mickey Tennyso... 2012/03/08 17:23:14
    Mickey
    George Washington, Winston Chruchill, John Wooden, Martin Luther King, Pete Carill,Margaret Thatcher, Vince Lombardi, Dwight David Eisenhower, Joe Paterno, All true the leaders. True Leaders wears the blame for their subordinates, and will pass along credit when things go well, that is why so many men and women would have given anything, including their lives for the leaders listed above...
  • Mickey 2012/03/08 16:41:40 (edited)
    Mickey
    He is such a Moron.....

2014/10/31 05:55:10